IGNORED

Seewalds 40 - Threewald is Here! Ivy Jane

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

It’s extremely common in my neighborhood. But I’m in Brooklyn. A lot of us are Jewish. Lots of Israels, Yisrael, David, Jacob, etc. Old Testament names, Hebrew names, Yiddish ones. I guess it depends on the area you live in. Although I would be surprised if there’s a second Israel in Arkansas lol not exactly a name that would be common in the Bible Belt. 

*puts on mouthbreathing neckbeard fedora* Well, ACTUALLY....

?

I kid. But in reality, around the Bible Belt, there ARE quite a few Israels in the fundy circles, especially among the homeschooling, Church of Christ, and Pentecostal crowds. It's almost always the oldest son of the family, and guaranteed, there is a another brother in the family named Judah. If not that, there's brothers named Johnathan & David or Joshua & Caleb. Every. Stinking. Time.

(source: from eastern Oklahoma and raised a Pentecostal preacher's kid.)

12 hours ago, finnlassie said:

Every time I say Spurgeon out loud, before I say it I have to go "Sssspppppuuuuurgeeeeonnnnnn" in my brain, so that I don't go and say Splurgen.

I think of one of two things:

1. Those late 90's Surge commercials ("SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURGE!")
2. Spungeon, aka Nancy Spungeon, aka heroin junkie girlfriend of Sid Vicious from the Sex Pistols. 

(to be fair, The Spurge & the Spunge have the same curly hair. So now we wait for him to one day tear through the house yelling "SiiiIIIIiiiIIIiiiiIIiiiddDdD!!!")

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

44 minutes ago, Johannah said:

Well I would say that most southerners pronounce the country as “isruhl” so they’re kind of one and the same. Her accent is actually a little more subtle, so it’s somewhere between isruhl and iz-ree-uhl. 

I have no idea how to pronounce the name or the country actually. I keep meaning to google it....

I swing between Is Re ale and Is rail 

Edit

So google tells me both are correct one is British and one is American, though the american one said in a pommy accent sounds like is real 

It must be the mixed media that makes me swing between pronunciations 

Edited by AussieKrissy
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Amelia would be a great name for 2 people who love flying, travel, and  who had aviation has a wedding theme. Amelia Duggar. Come on Joe and Abbie, just do it

Quoting myself here, because duh, Joe and Abbie will hopefully never be having a baby together!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 45

11 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Quoting myself here, because duh, Joe and Abbie will hopefully never be having a baby together!

Though that would be a more surprising pregnancy announcement!

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 23
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Johannah said:

Well I would say that most southerners pronounce the country as “isruhl” so they’re kind of one and the same. Her accent is actually a little more subtle, so it’s somewhere between isruhl and iz-ree-uhl. 

Maybe where you are at, but oh hell no, we pronounce it correctly here...lol.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

until Jill had Izzy I had never heard that one as a name so know it's forever Duggar related to me. 

A girl I went to high school with named her daughter Israel James and called her Izzy. 

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 2

12 minutes ago, viii said:

A girl I went to high school with named her daughter Israel James and called her Izzy. 

Each to their own but not for me.

James is my first name choice for a boy. I heart that name. 

I do like Izzy as nickname :)

• Upvote 5

The name isn’t for me, either. 

I adore the name James. My top baby boy name is Jamison. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Amelia would be a great name for 2 people who love flying, travel, and  who had aviation has a wedding theme. Amelia Duggar.

And for a boy they could pick Orville, Wilbur, Wright, or maybe Boeing.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 12
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, mollysmom said:

Charlie has always been my favorite boys name! My grandpa who I adored was named Charlie so I definitely would have named a son after him if I ever would have had one. 

Are we the same person!?! Or have the same grandpa at least? I literally just did this. Except Charles, but we exclusively call him Charlie (because I love love love that name and he is the third one in the family so we needed a nickname), which is probably more info than smart to put out, but my grandfather is really just the best guy ever and I was so excited to be able to do this and he is so proud. ❤️

6 hours ago, Sacrilicious Twerk-a-Work said:

?

I kid. But in reality, around the Bible Belt, there ARE quite a few Israels in the fundy circles, especially among the homeschooling, Church of Christ, and Pentecostal crowds. It's almost always the oldest son of the family, and guaranteed, there is a another brother in the family named Judah. If not that, there's brothers named Johnathan & David or Joshua & Caleb. Every. Stinking. Time.

snip

I know a Caleb & Joshua! My former youth pastors sons (SBC). I think the went some virtue name for the daughter.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, SassyPants said:

That episode I would watch. :popcorn2:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 17
  • I Agree 8

7 hours ago, Sacrilicious Twerk-a-Work said:

?

I think of one of two things:

1. Those late 90's Surge commercials ("SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURGE!")
2. Spungeon, aka Nancy Spungeon, aka heroin junkie girlfriend of Sid Vicious from the Sex Pistols. 

(to be fair, The Spurge & the Spunge have the same curly hair. So now we wait for him to one day tear through the house yelling "SiiiIIIIiiiIIIiiiiIIiiiddDdD!!!")

Omg so many Judah’s! A lot of Daniels too. 

• Upvote 4

I typically say Is-ree-al, but when I'm feeling fancy and solemn, I say Is-rye-el.  

• Upvote 4

The only Israels I've met were Latino. I always associated it with the Catholic Latino community.

It's hard to guess for Jessa and Ben because they really went different tonal directions with Spurgeon and Henry. 

Girl - Billie (for Billy Graham) or Corrie (for Corrie Ten Boom)

Boy - Luther (for both Martin and MLKjr)

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Dandruff said:

And for a boy they could pick Orville, Wilbur, Wright, or maybe Boeing.

no, no... Airbus!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

The only Israels I've met were Latino. I always associated it with the Catholic Latino community.

It's hard to guess for Jessa and Ben because they really went different tonal directions with Spurgeon and Henry. 

Girl - Billie (for Billy Graham) or Corrie (for Corrie Ten Boom)

Boy - Luther (for both Martin and MLKjr)

I was thinking Graham would be a boy name, also for Billy Graham. And girl I was thinking Theresa after Mother Theresa, or Corrie for the same reason. We'll see. I guess technically she could go anytime, right?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

I could see Jessa and Ben naming a boy Calvin Michael (for Ben's dad).

Not a bad name, but thus far the Seewalds have not given their kids family names at all. I think it’s odd that they have named their boys after people that they and most people do not actually know or recognize, while ignoring inspirational men ( at this point) in their own lives.  

I think she is going to follow Jinger's lead and go with a emotion name or American founding father (or Family) or Southen "Hero". 

Mercy, Charity, Abigail or Helen (Helena). 

George, Godric, Boone, or York. 

I feel like she is going to have a G or a Y in the name. Same with Israels in the Latino community   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Longhairedheathen said:

I think she is going to follow Jinger's lead and go with a emotion name or American founding father (or Family) or Southen "Hero". 

Mercy, Charity, Abigail or Helen (Helena). 

George, Godric, Boone, or York. 

I feel like she is going to have a G or a Y in the name. Same with Israels in the Latino community   

the name guessing is all fun but who wants to guess how long they are going to argue this name out before announcing it. that's the part about the Seewalds i always find interesting that they never can seem to agree on a name until the child is like a week old. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

the name guessing is all fun but who wants to guess how long they are going to argue this name out before announcing it. that's the part about the Seewalds i always find interesting that they never can seem to agree on a name until the child is like a week old. 

Well, I guess sometimes you gotta meet your kid first and see if they/their personality matches  the name you've picked? If you've planned on naming your kid Sandra, but once you meet them they appear more like a Sarah, you've at least got some time to think about it. As much as I didn't like Spurgeon at first, it's grown on me in a way that I wouldn't be able to think of cute little Spurgy as an Eliot, if they now decided to call him that. As weird as the name is, it is unique and the little cutie pie makes us have positive associations. He DOES have an ordinary name as well, so if he ended up resenting his unique name, he could still go by Eliot later in life. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Well, I guess sometimes you gotta meet your kid first and see if they/their personality matches  the name you've picked? If you've planned on naming your kid Sandra, but once you meet them they appear more like a Sarah, you've at least got some time to think about it. As much as I didn't like Spurgeon at first, it's grown on me in a way that I wouldn't be able to think of cute little Spurgy as an Eliot, if they now decided to call him that. As weird as the name is, it is unique and the little cutie pie makes us have positive associations. He DOES have an ordinary name as well, so if he ended up resenting his unique name, he could still go by Eliot later in life. 

with Jessa and Ben I think it's less about getting to know the child and more about a battle of wills, who will win. I think if it had been up to Jessa his name would have been Elliot no hesitation, but she bowed to Ben on that one I think rather reluctantly. but fought hard and actually won Henry.  that's why I'm scared this one will have an outrageous name. have to let Ben win again. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

i always find interesting that they never can seem to agree on a name until the child is like a week old. 

Hope I don’t out myself with this super personal info,  but I have an uncle named Richard.

As a kid I heard my Grams say she hated the name Richard but “the nuns at the hospital kept badgering me until I put a name down so I just put anything.”

I asked her why she didn’t have his name picked out as she knew she was having a baby and she looked at me, like it was obvious, and saying he was her 5th kid and she was busy.  

She had her hands full with 7 - she was no Duggar.

• Upvote 15

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Hope I don’t out myself with this super personal info,  but I have an uncle named Richard.

As a kid I heard my Grams say she hated the name Richard but “the nuns at the hospital kept badgering me until I put a name down so I just put anything.”

I asked her why she didn’t have his name picked out as she knew she was having a baby and she looked at me, like it was obvious, and saying he was her 5th kid and she was busy.  

She had her hands full with 7 - she was no Duggar.

Why? Because the laundry fairy didn’t show up?

• Haha 11

Ha!  Definitely no laundry fairy.  She did have some little tricks to stay sane raising 7 kids in a 3 bedroom flat with little money in the depression...

She said there were days she couldn’t take it anymore and if one more person called her mom she was going to run away so on those days they called her...Pete.

On her Pete days she still did all the mom stuff but wouldn’t answer to it.

one oft told story in my family was once one of the judgy neighbors came over and my mom, almost 4, answered the door and yelled over her shoulder, “Hey Pete!  Mrs. McSomething wants you!”

Grams came out as one of my uncles (about 11-12 at the time) came in with a “hey Pete, what’s for lunch?”

The neighbor was scandalized by the “disrespect” but Grams gave zero fucks.  She found a way to keep her sense of humor and as she put it, “Kept me from smacking anyone or taking up drinking.”

Bonus was her kids grew up knowing parents get frustrated and have their limits and that’s okay - Love is still there and life goes on.  

• Upvote 22
  • Haha 16
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

• Georgiana locked this topic