IGNORED

Michaela & Brandon Keilen 5: She Goes By Michaela

HerNameIsBuffy

18 hours ago, divadivine said:

I have trouble with people saying they don’t know how to cook. If a person can read a recipe and follow instructions, they can cook. It’s even easier to find recipes on the internet & using Pinterest or YouTube. Am I an amazing chef? No, but I can put together a meal & not starve. Granted, there are days when I just want to eat cereal, but I’m single and if I want to eat cereal I’ll eat freaking cereal. Or ice cream. I think the whole “I can’t cook” thing is an excuse for a storyline. Maybe you’re not making everything from scratch for every meal, but if they put some effort into it, they could cook. 

It was Beverley Cleary that once said "If you can read, you can cook." And that was in the days before google/youtube!

Also, cooking shows are so popular now-a-days; binge watch a season of 30 minute meals and a few seasons of Good Eats and you'll be rock solid in no time.

• Upvote 6

15 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

It was Beverley Cleary that once said "If you can read, you can cook." And that was in the days before google/youtube!

Also, cooking shows are so popular now-a-days; binge watch a season of 30 minute meals and a few seasons of Good Eats and you'll be rock solid in no time.

I can read, but no, no and no. I have gone through iterations of kitchen dometicness, and I've really tried. The whole thing is mentally exhausting and leads to a frustrating life. Someone upthread said it comes down to motivation and that is true. I have no more motivation to go through all that. Even watching a cooking show is irritating and exhausting. My 'cooked' meals are two things: fresh or frozen vegetables and crocked beef, chicken or pork with nothing but Cavender's. Carbs thrown in willy-nilly. Life is simple. In my defense, there are other things I happily do well.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

I love Good Eats, Julie/Julia always makes me want to cook something, same with the Great British Bake Off even the meat pies look good and I hate meat pies. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I always side eye fundies who can't cook despite always going on and on about how the women need to be keepers of their homes. I also side eye fundies that make it seem that cooking from scratch is some sort of lost art that only they have mastered. In my culture cooking from scratch is the norm mostly. Yes, there are more options now than there were 30 years ago, but I would bet that most of the female population at least can and does cook from scratch pretty often.*

Growing up we only went out to eat a few times a year, when we went on vacation mostly. Other than that we always had homecooked meals that my mom made even while being an evil working woman.

I like cooking and baking very much, I find it very relaxing. I cook from scratch at least 3 times a week also while being an evil working woman. I do have some things that I don't enjoy cooking even if I enjoy eating them, but I could cook them if I had to. I just choose not to.

* I don't judge anyone who dislikes cooking as long as they are not trying to tell me how I should quit my job, find a husband and spend my days cleaning ceiling fans. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 7

I don't like cooking. Can I cook? If there's a recipe in front of me, sure. But I don't have the ability to taste something and know what it needs, or improvise in any way (my best friend is amazing at it, and I am often in awe). I'm sure if I tried, and worked at it I could figure it out. As it stands, I couldn't care less. Bagged salad, jarred pasta sauce, the occasional frozen pizza. Is it the healthiest thing ever? Nope. But, I wouldn't be the healthiest person ever even if I did cook everything from scratch. Sometimes I even buy pre cut veggies from the store, which people act like is some sort of moral failing. To be honest, at this point in my life, I have more money than time. So I'm all about convenience. 

However, I work full time, I am getting my masters degree, I am a hockey and volley ball coach, I run 2 small side businesses. My time is pretty full and these are the things that I choose to prioritize over cooking an organic, healthy meal every night. When it comes to Fundies, I often wonder what on earth they are doing instead? I can kind of understand back in the era where Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger were running the show. There were a lot of little kids, so they had a divide and conquer approach. Jessa did laundry, someone else (not sure who) cooked, etc. But now, they are stay at home moms, who don't seem to have a whole lot going on (mommy and baby classes, etc.) and pride themselves on being homemakers. Soooooo, maybe put your money where your mouth is and actually be a homemaker. 

• Upvote 21

12 hours ago, Mimosa said:

I don't like cooking. Can I cook? If there's a recipe in front of me, sure. But I don't have the ability to taste something and know what it needs, or improvise in any way (my best friend is amazing at it, and I am often in awe). I'm sure if I tried, and worked at it I could figure it out. As it stands, I couldn't care less. Bagged salad, jarred pasta sauce, the occasional frozen pizza. Is it the healthiest thing ever? Nope. But, I wouldn't be the healthiest person ever even if I did cook everything from scratch. Sometimes I even buy pre cut veggies from the store, which people act like is some sort of moral failing. To be honest, at this point in my life, I have more money than time. So I'm all about convenience. 

However, I work full time, I am getting my masters degree, I am a hockey and volley ball coach, I run 2 small side businesses. My time is pretty full and these are the things that I choose to prioritize over cooking an organic, healthy meal every night. When it comes to Fundies, I often wonder what on earth they are doing instead? I can kind of understand back in the era where Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger were running the show. There were a lot of little kids, so they had a divide and conquer approach. Jessa did laundry, someone else (not sure who) cooked, etc. But now, they are stay at home moms, who don't seem to have a whole lot going on (mommy and baby classes, etc.) and pride themselves on being homemakers. Soooooo, maybe put your money where your mouth is and actually be a homemaker. 

They follow their husbands around and live vicariously through their men. I can’t figure out what Jinger does. I guess she dresses up in what she considers chic and calls it a day. I can’t see those 2 having a gaggle of kids. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

16 hours ago, Mimosa said:

Jill at least seems to be trying. I know she’s very easy to snark on and criticize, but she does post a lot of recipes and she seems genuinely excited about sharing that stuff on social media. She might not be the best at it and she needs to figure out staging her photography, but I can appreciate that she tries.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 5

My mother was an excellent cook as well as both my grandmothers.  Growing up we had home cooked meals from scratch and rarely went out.  Once my mom started school and then working, she did rely on some convenience foods but still did a lot scratch cooking.  And at the holidays, she pulled out all the stops baking cookies, tons of them!

She was hell bent that all 3 of us knew how to cook.   We each had a different affinity for it that still reflects today.  One sister loves it but keeps to traditional recipes, both from our family and her husband's.  Being he is from another country, he loves getting the recipes he grew up with.  Other sister, who didn't like cooking as much, relies on a limited number of "tried and true" easy recipes, especially for the crockpot, she does no baking.  Her husband, incidentally, is the baker in the family.  Me, I tend to be more creative, using what's on hand in the house, tossing in a bit of this and bit of that.   I made a vegetable based pasta sauce last weekend.  Mr. No loved it, telling me to make it again.  Well, that's great but I totally winged it so I doubt I can exactly replicate it.  That's a lot of my cooking.   

So even in one family that is big on cooking such as mine, everyone who learned does it differently or likes it to more or lesser degrees or not at all.   So yeah, I would not expect every fundie woman to enjoy cooking or have a great affinity for it.   However, as stated above, if the goal is to be "keepers at home" it's surprising that a number of them just don't know.  At all.  One would think it would be seen as a critical skill for someone who is only supposed to be a keeper at home.  I get that someone else may have been the designated cook in the family but still there was no actual teaching taking place?    That couldn't happen?  It seems that some women have had to do some serious catching up, like Erin and Jill, which is great, btw, that they are trying.  

• Upvote 7

In the picture where Willow has open eyes, the headband is clearly disturbing her. Apart from that, and apart from the horrid enormous Kelton's ring, they look happy, so nice pictures.

I'm always scared about the baby training these people endorse. But I suppose 2nd generation may be softer, at least while the family is small.

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2019 at 8:00 PM, Nodaknorskie said:

I grew up cooking but now that I am an empty nester it's no fun to cook.

Completely agree with this. If I'm not cooking for at least five, what's the point? LOL. Big quantities are just more fun to cook; I think it's the ratio of production to clean-up.

• Upvote 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 4:13 AM, CaptainFunderpants said:

Completely agree with this. If I'm not cooking for at least five, what's the point? LOL. Big quantities are just more fun to cook; I think it's the ratio of production to clean-up.

I agree, but now I just cook enough for five people and husband and I eat leftovers.  He's not thrilled about leftovers, but if he wants something else he can make his own food. I don't mind them and it sure beats cooking more than 3 times a week. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

On 8/2/2019 at 2:02 PM, VelociRapture said:

Jill at least seems to be trying. I know she’s very easy to snark on and criticize, but she does post a lot of recipes and she seems genuinely excited about sharing that stuff on social media. She might not be the best at it and she needs to figure out staging her photography, but I can appreciate that she tries.

I can sympathize with Jill on this because I too try and try but my stuff mostly looks and tastes like a pinterest fail :(

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, Andrea said:

I can sympathize with Jill on this because I too try and try but my stuff mostly looks and tastes like a pinterest fail :(

You know what? It doesn’t matter what the result is. The important thing is that you’re trying to learn new things and that’s something you can be proud of.

Besides, I’m pretty sure most people have some sort of great cooking/baking fail in their pasts, regardless of how good they are at it now. For example, I once tried making a Lemon Blueberry Bundt cake recipe I found on Pinterest and it completely fell apart when I took it out of the pan. It was the most epic of Pinterest fails and I still laugh about it five years later because it was just so bad. I’ve definitely become a much better Cook/Baker since then. It wasn’t always easy, but I’m really proud of the fact that I tried hard and you should be too. 

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 1

On 8/27/2019 at 2:55 PM, Andrea said:

I know the feeling! Where are you finding recipes? I started out with a kids cookbook and progressed that way— it was a great introduction to simple baking and easy cooking. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I feel like Pinterest doesn't always have the most reliable recipes. Whenever I tried something I found there, it was a flop. I use my good old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and a follow a couple of of good food blogs. My favorite is Once Upon a Chef. Now I've been cooking and baking for over 25 years. When we were first married, we ate a lot differently. Neither my husband or me came from families that cooked well. So we learned over time. 

• Upvote 9

That's why I'm a little wary of online recipes. Anybody can post any recipe online regardless of whether it will work. At least with cookbooks there is a little bit of quality control. (I'm assuming.)

• Upvote 4

On 9/4/2019 at 8:06 PM, Knight of Ni said:

That's why I'm a little wary of online recipes. Anybody can post any recipe online regardless of whether it will work. At least with cookbooks there is a little bit of quality control. (I'm assuming.)

Unless you buy ZZ's cookbook.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

On 8/29/2019 at 1:09 PM, princessmahina said:

I know the feeling! Where are you finding recipes? I started out with a kids cookbook and progressed that way— it was a great introduction to simple baking and easy cooking. 

Pinterest ?????

• I Agree 1

Becky Keilen got married this weekend and Michael was a bridesmaid. The first of Brandon’s sisters to get married. I think she may have been one of Erin’s bridesmaids. 

699F06CE-89C7-41EB-862C-096591458B58.png

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Becky Keilen got married this weekend and Michael was a bridesmaid. The first of Brandon’s sisters to get married. I think she may have been one of Erin’s bridesmaids. 

699F06CE-89C7-41EB-862C-096591458B58.png

Wow, a fundie wedding with no apparent  PG attendants!

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

Michael's dress is a different color from all the other bridesmaids' and the most modest (high neckline AND covering shoulders). It still mostly works, but i'm pretty sure she had a special dress for her uber modesty. It's confusing how Brandon works (worked?) for IBLP but his family (sisters in particular) seem less attached from that fundie flavor. 

Also it seems from what we've heard of Michael and Erin growing up that Michael would've judged (is judging???) all these women, including her SILs, for their clothing choices, but it's very nice of Becky (the bride) to consider Michael's comfort level. 

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 3

@neurogirl if I’m not mistaken Becky (and her twin Brent) used to work for IBLP. It seems that they’ve both loosened up a little. Michael seems to accept them without judgement but only she knows what she’s thinking. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

I know I'm weird, but it bothers me SO MUCH that there are seven bridesmaids on one side and five on the other. Like, WHY? WHY WHY WHY?

... I may need help. :kitty-shifty:

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 15
  • Love 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic