IGNORED

Michaela & Brandon Keilen 5: She Goes By Michaela

HerNameIsBuffy

We have seen on both iterations of the show that Kelly takes some of the girls shopping and then "teaches" them to make something like fried chicken. This is where Tori said her infamous line about not needing to cook until she got a "feller." This ordering girls to do things is clearly not actually teaching them, as Erin learned to cook after she got married and Tori had no clue about anything culinary despite them saying on the show that she had taken over the cooking responsibilities. 

Michael and Alyssa are the only two who fall into the category of learning to be homemakers. I'm still not buying the whole they volunteered to cook, do laundry, etc. for the family from the age of 12/13. At that age, I didn't even want to be seen with my family at the store. But suspending reality, I can assume that Michael and Alyssa were interested in learning to cook and clean. So what happened to the rest? Did Kelly suddenly forget how to cook? Were they eating frozen dinners? They talk about being quite poor during those years so I doubt they were eating out all the time.

Something just doesn't add up. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

We have seen on both iterations of the show that Kelly takes some of the girls shopping and then "teaches" them to make something like fried chicken. This is where Tori said her infamous line about not needing to cook until she got a "feller." This ordering girls to do things is clearly not actually teaching them, as Erin learned to cook after she got married and Tori had no clue about anything culinary despite them saying on the show that she had taken over the cooking responsibilities. 

Michael and Alyssa are the only two who fall into the category of learning to be homemakers. I'm still not buying the whole they volunteered to cook, do laundry, etc. for the family from the age of 12/13. At that age, I didn't even want to be seen with my family at the store. But suspending reality, I can assume that Michael and Alyssa were interested in learning to cook and clean. So what happened to the rest? Did Kelly suddenly forget how to cook? Were they eating frozen dinners? They talk about being quite poor during those years so I doubt they were eating out all the time.

I don’t watch the Bates show, but I recall an episode from a million years ago on the Duggars show where they were at the Bateseses house and dinner was a slice of fried bologna with a scoop of mashed potatoes and slice of American cheese on top.

That’s how you feed your impoverished family with money from your teenaged son.

Granted, I have a recipe my daughter and I love which is just as bad and similar enough to bring me shame ...my mom made it when I wanna a kid because I was fast and I’d actually eat it without complaining.... so horrible processed meals aren’t always a poverty market but in the Bateseses case it was.

• Upvote 13

@rebeccawriter01 I'be been following the Bates for years. Kelly has never cooked. When kids were young Kelly and Gil feed them disgusting food which involved no cooking (bread with ketchup, cheap canned food etc). Alyssa learned that *cooking style* and at age 18 she was aware of the fail, so she had a whole pinterest board with healthy food recipes. 

Josie recently said that Bates house was always dirty. Who knows who is cleaning nowadays. In addition, Bates boys are allowed to be dirty and messy. 

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

@rebeccawriter01 I'be been following the Bates for years. Kelly has never cooked. When kids were young Kelly and Gil feed them disgusting food which involved no cooking (bread with ketchup, cheap canned food etc). Alyssa learned that *cooking style* and at age 18 she was aware of the fail, so she had a whole pinterest board with healthy food recipes. 

Josie recently said that Bates house was always dirty. Who knows who is cleaning nowadays. In addition, Bates boys are allowed to be dirty and messy. 

With the exception of Tori, each of the married girls have made at least one or two comments about cleaner living arrangements and better food. Michaela's cooking has always seemed to be part her mother's (those crappy quesadillas that she made on 19K&C and half little Southern woman using a church cookbook. I wonder if maybe she learned from Mama Jane? 

From family and friends in the area, I know that when the kids were all still kids, it was Michaela who would bring items to the church pot lucks. The answer I got when I asked about this was that Kelly Jo has always been someone to volunteer someone else. 

In terms of the keeping things clean, the house prior to the makeover on TLC, was always dark and dusty. They used that old fashioned wood burning stove for heat. I remember those from my grandparents. It was always a thick layer of soot and dust no matter what. The boy's bunk room was not insulated and had no vents for heat or air (if the house even had it). Now the issues are more about clutter. The kitchen island in their house drives me crazy with the various decor items that force them to drop the newly bought food on the ground.   

• Upvote 13

5 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I don't by the "volunteering" either. Because amazingly every daughter she had has "volunteered" to cook for the entire family, "volunteered" to take over teaching her younger siblings, "volunteered" to raise the next baby, Michael "volunteered" to potty train her siblings. How absolutely amazing that not a single one wanted to blow off work and chores to do normal kid, preteen and later teens stuff. Right because Carlin would love nothing more then to teacher siblings she certainly wouldn't rather be out taking more pictures of her, Evan, singing, performing or anything else. Tori who never wants to do or likes anything totally wanted to be the teacher and stuff. No they are forced to do it and/or brainwashed but Kelly lies claiming they "volunteered" not for them but for herself. It looks crappy to say she's making her daughters give up their childhood and teen years to raise her kids, educate and do all the chores (because it is Kelly!). Volunteer sounds better. It makes her sound better. It makes her seem so lucky that all of her daughters are so happy to volunteer to do all the work for her. That's such a horrible thing to do to your own daughters. Along with taking money from your son to buy groceries because God forbid she or Gil get a job. They are both such horrible parents.   

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

They used that old fashioned wood burning stove for heat. I remember those from my grandparents. It was always a thick layer of soot and dust no matter what. The boy's bunk room was not insulated and had no vents for heat or air (if the house even had it).

Don’t they still use that furnace? I recall them talking about how cheap it was and showing them chopping wood. This was when they had their own show (Not sure if it was TLC or UP) They did have their current larger house though.

They didn’t have insulation or vents?  How dangerous, I still can’t figure out how their house didn’t burn to the ground after the laundry room fire.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TeaELSee said:

Don’t they still use that furnace? I recall them talking about how cheap it was and showing them chopping wood. This was when they had their own show (Not sure if it was TLC or UP) They did have their current larger house though.

They didn’t have insulation or vents?  How dangerous, I still can’t figure out how their house didn’t burn to the ground after the laundry room fire.

I think I remember they finally did get some sort of HVAC system. The stove, which is still used, couldn't possibly heat that entire house. And while I don't know that Kelly Jo would be that concerned about the kids, she would want her own bedroom warm in the winter and cool in the summer. 

I'm assuming they have air conditioning and heat now simply based on the way they dress indoors and that the windows aren't shown to be open when it is particularly hot outside. 

I mentioned it because I know my grandparents on my father's side used those wood burning stoves all their adult lives. They had 14 children and most of the girls were amazed at how clean and fresh things were when they moved out and no longer had that burning wood odor on everything. When we cleaned out the old farm house, there were layers and layers of soot on everything from that dang stove.  

• Upvote 5

Wood burning stoves. Gross. We had one in KS.

Not our only heat source. It was probably a decor idea. It was charming for the couple hrs that a fire was going. Other times it eminated a horrible headache inducing stench.

Also, birdies would fall down in there and create a ruckus. Several times a year. They had to be chased out of the house.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I don't by the "volunteering" either. Because amazingly every daughter she had has "volunteered" to cook for the entire family, "volunteered" to take over teaching her younger siblings, "volunteered" to raise the next baby, Michael "volunteered" to potty train her siblings. How absolutely amazing that not a single one wanted to blow off work and chores to do normal kid, preteen and later teens stuff

I never did buy this whole volunteering business.   No way would every kid volunteer for these things especially teenagers.  I was one of three and we didn't want to do chores.   We didn't "volunteer", we were told to do them, end of story.

So no freaking way does every kid in this large family "volunteers", it is not realistic by a long shot.  Sure some of them might be brainwashed into "volunteering" but not every single one.    

20 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

That's such a horrible thing to do to your own daughters. Along with taking money from your son to buy groceries because God forbid she or Gil get a job. They are both such horrible parents.   

Frankly, I see the Bateseseses kids, along with kids of many fundie families, as being abused in so many ways.  People see the shiny, happy, Christian family but these are parents who do not raise their kids, their kids raise their kids while Gil and Kelly run off and do whatever. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

Wood burning stoves. Gross. We had one in KS.

Not our only heat source. It was probably a decor idea. It was charming for the couple hrs that a fire was going. Other times it eminated a horrible headache inducing stench.

Also, birdies would fall down in there and create a ruckus. Several times a year. They had to be chased out of the house.

OMG, we lived in a cold area of the country and had four! We loved them. There's nothing like the heat from a wood stove, it just warms you up so thoroughly. When we moved in there were two, and we gradually added two others. Plus, chopping the wood was good exercise in the winter. I love the crackling sound of a wood fire.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

On 6/10/2019 at 7:47 AM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Years later I asked if she resented me and she said no - he was a different person with you, “I had a father.  You had a daddy. “

This is kind of heartbreaking.

• Upvote 7

• 1 month later...

Kelly and Gil were doing a giveaway of some religiously themed DVDs that Brandon was involved with producing. Does he still work for IBLP?

Edited by seraaa
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, seraaa said:

Kelly and Gil were doing a giveaway of some religiously themed DVDs that Brandon was involved with producing. Does he still work for IBLP?

Yes he does. If you go to the URL at the end of Kelly's post (https://legacyoffaithseries.com/), at the very bottom it says the copyright belongs to IBLP. Also, this Otto Koning, subject of one of their DVDs, is a classic IBLP subject. If you google his name, pretty much everything that shows up is an IBLP link (including Embassy Media and Family Conferences). I'm sure he's a real peach. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, seraaa said:

He probably still does, since if not they would have talked about his new job, like they did with Bobby. Since his job consists in video editing and such he probably can do it from home, and thus it was not a problem for them to move.

• Upvote 4

Oh, dear.  Otto Koning.  I "previewed" the "Pineapple Story" on IBLP's site.  Oh, Brandon.  You may want to go back to the drawing board.  I'm sure that Otto Koning experienced these things/stories as a missionary, but the preview video that goes along with the story is in pretty poor taste.  This is just my opinion, but sadly it's not surprising coming from a family (Bates) with KKK pictures hanging in a special room of the house. 

• Upvote 1

I have trouble with people saying they don’t know how to cook. If a person can read a recipe and follow instructions, they can cook. It’s even easier to find recipes on the internet & using Pinterest or YouTube. Am I an amazing chef? No, but I can put together a meal & not starve. Granted, there are days when I just want to eat cereal, but I’m single and if I want to eat cereal I’ll eat freaking cereal. Or ice cream. I think the whole “I can’t cook” thing is an excuse for a storyline. Maybe you’re not making everything from scratch for every meal, but if they put some effort into it, they could cook. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, divadivine said:

I have trouble with people saying they don’t know how to cook. If a person can read a recipe and follow instructions, they can cook. It’s even easier to find recipes on the internet & using Pinterest or YouTube. Am I an amazing chef? No, but I can put together a meal & not starve. Granted, there are days when I just want to eat cereal, but I’m single and if I want to eat cereal I’ll eat freaking cereal. Or ice cream. I think the whole “I can’t cook” thing is an excuse for a storyline. Maybe you’re not making everything from scratch for every meal, but if they put some effort into it, they could cook. 

Definitely agree. I shouldn't care what others eat or how they decide to prepare meals, and in the end I don't really care. However, when these fundies, who are so into gender roles and homemaking and having many kids, say they don't know how to cook and that it's too much work, then my immediate thought is "how else do you spend your time then?". They don't work, there's only so many ceiling fans you can dust in a day (looking at you, Maxwells), or prayers you can send to Jesus, or bible tracts you can hand out, that I don't think a lack of time is the reason they often don't really cook. Also, they are not single. With the responsibility to feed minors who depend on, them this is a whole different ballgame. 

If I don't know how to prepare proper food for my family, especially my children who are growing, then I put in an effort and try to learn a few basic things about cooking and nutrition and make sure they get enough nutrients, right? Nobody expects anyone to cook haute cuisine, but some basic cooking is really not rocket science especially with all the resources available nowadays. There's books, food blogs, YouTube channels that offer a myriad of tutorials. If I don't know what sauteeing means, I look it up and watch a video about it. There are also many meal plans, saving tips, easy and healthy recipes on Pinterest, there's really no excuse.

I always defended Kelly Bates when someone judged her for not being a great cook 'cause she never claimed to be one and back when they still commented on their blog, she said she grew up on TV meals and didn't think she was the right person to be asked about recipes or healthy nutrition. However, I stopped cutting her any slack when she made fun of Erin's lack of cooking skills right before Erin's wedding. Did it not occur to her that Erin might not like cooking or know the 'how to's because she, Kelly, didn't set a proper example? Erin is the prime example of how you can become a decent cook when you put a little effort into it by learning the basics and trying new recipes. I stopped having any sympathy when some of Erin's siblings ate broccoli at her house for the first time in their lives. Erin even snarked on her own mom by saying that she'll make sure her own kids will eat broccoli.

That is so easy to do: cut up veggies (potatoes, bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, zucchini), season with oil, salt, pepper, herbs and spices. Throw in the oven and bake until done, there you have oven-baked veggies. Throw in a couple of marinated chicken legs or chicken breast and you can serve a very nutritious meal. Sautee onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, and pumpkin, add stock and herbs, let cook, then puree and you have fresh vegetable soup.  Cut up apples, sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar on top together with some rolled oats and bake until apples are done. Right before the end, add some nuts and sprinkle some honey on top. Serve with greek yogurt. There you have your easy-peasy healthy dessert that you can even serve your 19 children. No need for a ton of equipment, preparation time, or skills.

Everyone can serve veggies, fruit, and non-processed food without having to go to cooking school. Doesn't mean everyone has to eat healthy all the time. Who does that? But when you have a ton of kids and subscribe to very rigid gender roles and proclaim people of that ilk are the best at homemaking, then don't come with lame excuses that just exist to cover up your laziness.

Edited by Pretzel
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, divadivine said:

I can read a recipe and follow instructions! Or so I think I can, until my food turns out not the best :pb_lol:  It's never bad per se, but I seem really bad with getting consistencies right. We've also lived in a few rentals back to back, so maybe I never get a good gauge on our oven, if it takes longer/less time/etc. 

My latest go to is slow cooker pulled chicken. 

1) Place chicken in crock pot.

2) Dump favorite BBQ sauce.

3) Leave for 8ish hours before shredding.

4) Serve.

Hey, maybe I can cook!

• Upvote 15

I can cook what I like to eat and what I want my daughters to eat. That said, I'm horrible at baking. Baking requires strict adherence to a recipe (measurements) that always throws me because I will realize partway through that I don't have enough (fill in the blank) and have to substitute and ad-lib. I can do that with a rice bowl or pasta dish, but a cake is another story. So I either buy from a bakery or get a box mix and go at it. No big deal. Granted my older daughter was very confused while we were watching Food Network one morning and someone was making cookies from scratch. She didn't understand why it wasn't refrigerated dough squares like we bake. 

Michaela appears to have been self taught on the cooking thing or perhaps taught a few things by Janie. Her cooking on the show (prior to marriage) always seemed to be either quick and easy (side of the package instructions) or old fashioned and taught by someone at church or Gil's mother. Alyssa is probably similarly taught. 

Erin is someone who comes off as wanting the "perfect" appearance of a happy wife and mother. I think her sudden interest in cooking was brought out from that desire of perfect pictures. Good for her actually learning how to cook and being willing to try and fail before getting it right. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Look at spaghetti. It can be as easy as a jar of sauce and a box of pasta. Throw some frozen meatballs, parmesan, and a salad kit with everything done for you and you've got a pretty decent meal that takes minimal effort. And I'm not gonna lie, that's how I do it now. When the kids were all home I'd make it from scratch and make my own meatballs but now that it's just us I don't bother. 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I can read a recipe and follow instructions! Or so I think I can, until my food turns out not the best :pb_lol:  It's never bad per se, but I seem really bad with getting consistencies right. We've also lived in a few rentals back to back, so maybe I never get a good gauge on our oven, if it takes longer/less time/etc. 

My latest go to is slow cooker pulled chicken. 

1) Place chicken in crock pot.

2) Dump favorite BBQ sauce.

3) Leave for 8ish hours before shredding.

4) Serve.

Hey, maybe I can cook!

You know what? Props to you for doing what you can. Cooking isn’t something that comes naturally to everyone, but I think it’s great that you’re trying and finding ways to do things that works well for you. :)  

1 hour ago, fluffernutter said:

Look at spaghetti. It can be as easy as a jar of sauce and a box of pasta. Throw some frozen meatballs, parmesan, and a salad kit with everything done for you and you've got a pretty decent meal that takes minimal effort. And I'm not gonna lie, that's how I do it now. When the kids were all home I'd make it from scratch and make my own meatballs but now that it's just us I don't bother. 

I married an Italian New Yorker. I think using jarred sauce and frozen meatballs is actually grounds for divorce in his family. They’re very big believers in the family sauce and meatballs recipes. ?

You’re absolutely right though. Jarred sauce and frozen meatballs are a really great way of putting a decent meal on the table fast. I’m all in favor of people doing what they can, when they can. Life is hectic enough for a lot of people without adding the pressure of needing to have cooked from scratch meals all the time on top of everything else. As long as everyone is fed, relatively healthy, and relatively happy that’s all that counts. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I can cook what I like to eat and what I want my daughters to eat. That said, I'm horrible at baking. Baking requires strict adherence to a recipe (measurements) that always throws me because I will realize partway through that I don't have enough (fill in the blank) and have to substitute and ad-lib. I can do that with a rice bowl or pasta dish, but a cake is another story. So I either buy from a bakery or get a box mix and go at it. No big deal. Granted my older daughter was very confused while we were watching Food Network one morning and someone was making cookies from scratch. She didn't understand why it wasn't refrigerated dough squares like we bake. 

I'm the opposite! I remember mentioning to a friend once that I'm not good at just throwing things together from my pantry without a recipe. She said it's because I have a baker's mind- I'm very precise and like to use exact measurements for everything. I do prefer baking over cooking but I always figured it was because baking usually results in treats to satisfy my ginormous sweet tooth ?. But what she said makes sense too haha.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Back in the dark ages, when I wasn't quite so lazy (and had kids at home), I could throw a reasonably decent meal together in about an hour. I never "planned" a single meal, that was just one thing that never appeared on my radar. 

The mother never "taught" me to cook, her idea of a gourmet meal was fucking boiled chicken and potatoes. Once my aunt (her sister) moved in with us it was pork chops and mac & cheese every fucking night. 

Cooking is easy, baking is a bit more difficult because it must be precise but honestly, neither one is brain surgery or rocket science. As undomestic as I am, when motivated, I'm pretty good at both. 

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

You know what? Props to you for doing what you can. Cooking isn’t something that comes naturally to everyone, but I think it’s great that you’re trying and finding ways to do things that works well for you. :)  

I married an Italian New Yorker. I think using jarred sauce and frozen meatballs is actually grounds for divorce in his family. They’re very big believers in the family sauce and meatballs recipes. ?

You’re absolutely right though. Jarred sauce and frozen meatballs are a really great way of putting a decent meal on the table fast. I’m all in favor of people doing what they can, when they can. Life is hectic enough for a lot of people without adding the pressure of needing to have cooked from scratch meals all the time on top of everything else. As long as everyone is fed, relatively healthy, and relatively happy that’s all that counts. 

I think it's worth noting just how much salt is in most jarred pasta sauce. The American stuff has a lot of sugar added to it too (at least the cheap brands). I always remember doing field work in Yellowstone and being weirded out how sweet the jarred pasta sauce was! (It inspired me to get my mom's recipe when I came back home.)

That said, it's probably healthier than eating out at Olive Garden or similar.

• Upvote 6

My mom always went back and forth between making stuff from scratch and quick meals. She always liked to have both on hand growing up because it was kind of 50/50 half of the time there was plenty of time to make a meatloaf from scratch, homemade lasagna and roast. She loved the crockpot throw a roast or something in and come home at the end of the day and its all ready. Other times we were just too busy or she was tired so that was the time for the quick meals. Jar of spaghetti sauce and noodles. frozen lasagna and throw it in the oven, hamburger helpers and etc.

I really thought I would hate cooking because I didn't really like it as a teen. But when I moved into my own place it was cheaper to cook and I really didn't mind. I liked trying different recipes and seeing if I could really do it. Trying different seasonings for chicken. Not all paned out. Youtube was big help for watching how to coat chicken and other things when you don't know what it means in a cookbook and great if your better at visuals. Of course the crockpot is tied with stove and microwave as greatest inventions just put potatoes and chicken in or a roast and come home and its all done and ready to eat. I never did like peas or green beans but I loved broccoli, cauliflower, celery and carrots. Salad of course salad was probably my favorite because you can put those things in with lettuce, cheese, and bacon bits and dressing. Or with cottage cheese. Sometimes it was simple like reading a pancake recipe and having it suggest cinnamon and brown sugar which I had. It was really good.  

Baking was the real surprise except for every year for Christmas I never baked and really never was interested. You can get cakes and stuff at any grocery store or bakery or cake mix and frosting. Then when I was twenty I really had a craving for peanut butter cookies no one would make them for me and the grocery store didn't carry them usually I just let it go but this I decided to make them. The first one was really bad I messed up on the baking soda and they were terrible (my dad God love him dipped them and his coffee and ate them all) but I tried again and they were much better and I realized hey anytime I have a craving I can just make it. So I did. It was really fun trying different cookie recipes, cake and cheesecakes. My family loved it because they were getting the rewards and kept sending me different recipes. There was a really good pumpkin carrot cake I made that my mom just loved. It was fun like for my dad's birthday baking him three or four different kinds of cookies (he loves cookies) I really love spending all day in the kitchen whether its cooking something or baking something. I tried cake decorating but I just don't have any skills but also my medical problems hit and I haven't had chance to try and see if I can get better at it. I really hate miss cooking or baking. 

Pinterest is great for finding recipes I have so many recipes pinned I'd have to cook and bake the next few centuries to try each one. There's so many but there's also simple recipes for dishes that seem so complicated.  Sometimes I started with those before getting confidence to try more the more complicated versions. Its just really fun. 

• Upvote 9

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic