IGNORED

Erin & Chad 5: I’m Thoroughly Defrauded by Chad’s Attire

HerNameIsBuffy

21 hours ago, Bobology said:

Just a cultural aside here: in the 60s/early 70s Arby's had ONLY male workers. They sold 2 sizes of RB sandwiches (no cheese,) potato cakes and turnovers, soft drinks and shakes, including jamocha. That was it, always prepared and served by men wearing yellow Sgt. Pepper-like jackets and tall chef-type hats. And if not preparing food or serving food, the robot-men (always two, never one or three) stood in a soldier stance behind the front counter. Had it not been for their jamocha shakes, not available anywhere else, I would have protested the man-culture. The jamocha shakes of today are not at all the same.

I loved those shakes back in the day!

• I Agree 1

On 8/12/2019 at 6:17 AM, Audrey2 said:

Triple bunkbeds, two to a bunk... That's 6 kids, 12 if you do two triples. Look how the Rodrigues and Shrader families shoehorned themselves into campers.

Erica Shupe, who built a triple bunk in front of the only fire escape (window) in the room, plus squeezed in a bed with a trundle underneath. Five girls in a room that was at most 3,5 meters by 2. At MOST.

• Sad 1
  • WTF 1

51 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

My kids eat McDonald’s once s week because it is next to the gym where they take swimming lessons and after I get 3 kids in and out of a pool, I am not going home and making dinner. 

But i cook the rest of the meals. I grow my own veggies, I make a lot of healthy snacks. I make food choices just like any parent and I choose to give them McDonald’s to save my own sanity and refuse to believe that I am introducing them to a junk food addiction.

What is at about swim lessons that saps the energy out of me more than any other parenting activity? We're generally very healthy eaters, but my kids do get a fast food breakfast every Saturday morning after swim lessons.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

42 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

What is at about swim lessons that saps the energy out of me more than any other parenting activity? We're generally very healthy eaters, but my kids do get a fast food breakfast every Saturday morning after swim lessons.

It’s the sheer effort. You have to get them into their bathing suits and into the pool and then they have to be showered and dried and dressed and then back in the car and in our case, then it is after 6 and I am not driving 15 minutes and then starting dinner. 

I also found an lowered my absolutes as my kids got older and I had more of them. It is easier to have “no junk food” rules when you have one small child (my oldest didn’t Have mcdonald’s until he was about 2.5, his sister had her first fry at 6 months) then it is with multiple school/aged children because you are just so much busier.

Edited by CanadianMamam
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1

I think swimming makes everyone extra hungry and cranky too. Even I become a ravenous ragebeast after going in the pool. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

I can’t do McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, or any of those big national chain fast food places. I don’t know what it is, but I just can’t. I don’t think I’ve been to any of those places for over five years now. We definitely still do fast food though - we just go to the local fast food chains instead or healthier national chain options like Panera. Those taste so much better to me for some reason. McDonald’s can definitely be a really easy and quick option though, so no judgement from me on that.

And yes taking kids to and from the pool is the worst. I think it actually deserves its own circle of Hell in Dante’s “Inferno.” I actually haven’t taken my daughter to the town pool at all this summer because I’ve been too tired, sick, and busy house hunting and attending my boatload of prenatal appointments. I actually feel really bad about that since she has so much fun now that she’s older, but it’s such a pain that I just can’t do it this year. 

• Upvote 6
  • Bless Your Heart 1

5 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

It’s the sheer effort. You have to get them into their bathing suits and into the pool and then they have to be showered and dried and dressed and then back in the car and in our case, then it is after 6 and I am not driving 15 minutes and then starting dinner. 

I also found an lowered my absolutes as my kids got older and I had more of them. It is easier to have “no junk food” rules when you have one small child (my oldest didn’t Have mcdonald’s until he was about 2.5, his sister had her first fry at 6 months) then it is with multiple school/aged children because you are just so much busier.

I agree. My first never had a piece of candy, popsicle, or much junk at all until he was close to 2. Then my second came along and saw his older brother eating a piece of Halloween candy and demanded to have one too. It’s easy to say no tv or screens until 2 years old when you only have one kid. But what am I supposed to do when the older one is watching tv and the 1 year old is in the room? Make him leave the room? The younger ones always want what the older ones have. And I already tell the younger one no all the time because he’s too young. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

The worst pool to take your kids to? A waterpark. 

Some of my most stressful days were spent with my kids and toddlers in water parks. :penguin-no:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Swimming, even just play swimming, makes people RAVENOUS!!! We once had a pool in our backyard and I swear to god all I did those 2 summers were go to work, go swimming and eating myself stupid. Fortunately it was at home so it was easier to make healthy choices, but damn...I practically ate my own weight after every afternoon session in the pool. Maybe it was being hot AF driving home from work in a PHX summer then jumping in the pool to cool off and play around but damn...

Hopefully I'll have a pool again and will swim and eat myself stupid next summer. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Chiming in on the kids room situation. I shared a room with my brothers until I was 8. When I was 4 we moved from a two bedroom house, I had an older brother who was 8 and a new born baby brother, to a four bedroom house. I was so use to sharing a room with my older brother that I just kept doing it. He had bunk beds. Once my younger brother was old enough he moved in too. When I was 8 I moved into my own room and my younger brother tagged along. I had a Day bed with a pop up bed. He slept on the pop up. When I was 12 I kicked my younger brother out. I was going through puberty and wanted my space.

Since the kids are still little that room will work but once Carson gets older it may be weird for him to keep sharing a room with his sisters. It’s one thing when kids want to share a room with their siblings but it’s another when more than two are forced. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 8/14/2019 at 8:53 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wasn’t allowed much pop as a kid but I drank SO MUCH koolaid! And when I was old enough to make the koolaid myself, I always added more sugar than the recipe called for. It was grossly sweet and I loved it ?

I just remembered how much I loved sunny delight as a kid. I drank so much of that sugary juice!

I was shocked the first time I made koolaid. Evidently my mom and aunts used to cut it down by half ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

My family used to have fast food every Friday growing up we each took turns picking. It was fun and my parents loved a break from cooking especially after a long week. Wendys I loved their burgers, fries and frostys, Taco Bell chili cheese burritos, tacos, tostadas, nachos, McDonalds I loved their Big Mcs chicken nuggets and fries, Burger King their whoppers and chicken sandwiches, Subway turkey sandwiches, Sonic burgers and ice cream, Arbys pretty much every thing they also had really great fries and surprisingly very good chicken tenders, Captain Ds everything, Long John Silvers everything, and KFC everything even more so when they had their popcorn chicken. I still love fast food but can't eat most of it anymore because my stomach issues but some still have made the cut Wendy's, chicken from KFC if I pull the skin off and Arbys with their turkey sliders or other sandwiches if I switch the bread out, and can still have Taco Bell's chili cheese burritos.

• Upvote 10

7 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

Chiming in on the kids room situation. I shared a room with my brothers until I was 8. When I was 4 we moved from a two bedroom house, I had an older brother who was 8 and a new born baby brother, to a four bedroom house. I was so use to sharing a room with my older brother that I just kept doing it. He had bunk beds. Once my younger brother was old enough he moved in too. When I was 8 I moved into my own room and my younger brother tagged along. I had a Day bed with a pop up bed. He slept on the pop up. When I was 12 I kicked my younger brother out. I was going through puberty and wanted my space.

Since the kids are still little that room will work but once Carson gets older it may be weird for him to keep sharing a room with his sisters. It’s one thing when kids want to share a room with their siblings but it’s another when more than two are forced. 

We might end up having our daughter and son share a room for a few years. It depends on whether we get the house we want or our second runner up. The house we want has one bedroom on the main floor and two upstairs, so for safety reasons we’d have them share until we feel they’re both old enough for their own rooms. At that point we’d move downstairs and one of the kids would get the other upstairs room. The runner-up house wouldn’t have that issue since the bedrooms are all on the same floor.

The only concern I have about potential room sharing is just sleep schedules and whether they’ll wake each other up, but that’s something we’ll figure out if and when we have to. 

• Upvote 4

I think the snark on the Paine's current living situation is a whole lot on the ridiculous side. The kids are so young, they don't need their own room yet. Some people make it seem as though making siblings share a bedroom equals neglect or child abuse. Most kids I know that are Carson's, Brookie's, and Evy's age love sharing rooms, sleeping next to each other, being close together at night. Heck, most kids that age love sleeping in one bed with the whole family even if that means mom and dad can't move or breath without risking to fall from the edge.

The kids' room is carefully arranged and decorated. Each kid has their own bed and the bunks seem spacious! Plus, these kids are used to playing outside a lot. Cherin's home is on the smaller side in the eyes of people who are used to big, affordable houses. For a moment let's remember that in many places in the world, especially in congested urban areas, there's a different definition of what constitutes affordable housing and necessary living space. How big is the Paine's cottage again? I know families who live on 560 sq ft./ 52m² with three kids and call it spacious since they're lucky to have found a place at all that they can still afford. I guess that when a middle class family with ±two kids in the urban area of Tokyo can make it on (average) 322 sq ft. / 30 m², the Paine's can make it in their cottage as a family of 6 a little while longer.

The whole discussion reeks of a lot of entitlement to me. Not everyone in this world is so lucky to live in a low density area where housing is affordable and bigger houses are the norm rather than the exception. Some people live perfectly well and make do with limited living space. After all, a big house and separate kids' rooms do not a happy childhood make nor does limited living space equal a lack of quality of life. 

Edited by Pretzel
  • Upvote 15
  • Bless Your Heart 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

The Paines are entering "children stacked like corkwood" territory. That is where the snark on their current living situation comes in. It's a sign of things to come. A middle class family with 2 kids in a small urban apartment are probably done adding to their brood. The Paines are going to keep piling on.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

The Paines are entering "children stacked like corkwood" territory. That is where the snark on their current living situation comes in. It's a sign of things to come. A middle class family with 2 kids in a small urban apartment are probably done adding to their brood. The Paines are going to keep piling on.

I see your point and I agree. However, we have no idea how much longer they are going to live in the cottage. I will revise my opinion by the time they add Holland and #5 to the same room as the other kids but continue to have babies. I still think, though, that the current situation is not as unreasonable as some make it seem for the time being. We don't know if they are saving up for a bigger house and try to stay at the cottage for as long as possible. Maybe they plan on buying the cottage and adding to it.  We don't know. Time will tell.

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I think the snark on the Paine's current living situation is a whole lot on the ridiculous side. The kids are so young, they don't need their own room yet. Some people make it seem as though making siblings share a bedroom equals neglect or child abuse. Most kids I know that are Carson's, Brookie's, and Evy's age love sharing rooms, sleeping next to each other, being close together at night. Heck, most kids that age love sleeping in one bed with the whole family even if that means mom and dad can't move or breath without risking to fall from the edge.

The kids' room is carefully arranged and decorated. Each kid has their own bed and the bunks seem spacious! Plus, these kids are used to playing outside a lot. Cherin's home is on the smaller side in the eyes of people who are used to big, affordable houses. For a moment let's remember that in many places in the world, especially in congested urban areas, there's a different definition of what constitutes affordable housing and necessary living space. How big is the Paine's cottage again? I know families who live on 560 sq ft./ 52m² with three kids and call it spacious since they're lucky to have found a place at all that they can still afford. I guess that when a middle class family with ±two kids in the urban area of Tokyo can make it on (average) 322 sq ft. / 30 m², the Paine's can make it in their cottage as a family of 6 a little while longer.

The whole discussion reeks of a lot of entitlement to me. Not everyone in this world is so lucky to live in a low density area where housing is affordable and bigger houses are the norm rather than the exception. Some people live perfectly well and make do with limited living space. After all, a big house and separate kids' rooms do not a happy childhood make nor does limited living space equal a lack of quality of life. 

Argee about many of your points about global living conditions, urban housing and expensive regions that force people to live in smaller quarters, but none of those things apply to the Paines. The only entitlement being shown here is that of the Paines-

• Upvote 8

For years,we rented.Once I called about another rental.I had 3 boys,it was a 2 bedroom home.

When I called to ask the woman said she could not rent to me,that by the laws of my state,my 3 boys could not share a bedroom,even though,they did.

My brother in law and sister in law lived in Navy housing.They had a boy and a girl,and they had to have their own bedroom,even though when they moved to Great Lakes,the girl was a baby.

I am not snarking on the Paines.I shared a room with my younger brother for a year.

I think,eventually,Carson will get his own bedroom,though.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure the Paines will move eventually.  The kids are little enough that I don't think sharing a room is a big issue.  Erin once mentioned she would be very sad to leave their current house.  Does anyone know if Chad and Erin are in the "must be debt free" camp with their religion?  If so, maybe they are waiting to move because they can't purchase the house they want right now free and clear.  I think that they will have to move as more kids are added and current kids get older.  Otherwise, they'll have a really cramped situation on their hands and Erin will not be able to keep the perfection look going for much longer. ?

• Upvote 2

On 8/12/2019 at 6:22 PM, indianabones said:

Erin, do yourself and your kids a favor by moving out of your newlywed cottage into a home that can actually house 10 people. And not a can of sardines like the one you grew up in!

I wonder how far Erin will take smashing more kids into that house.  I understand she likes it, it is a very cute house and I would absolutely move into a place like that but it's just not suited for a large family.  And that's with 4 small children, they are not going to be small forever.   What happens when they become teenagers and want their space?   We wonder about how the Anderson kids cope in their living space, does Erin really want to do the same to her kids?  

When my parents moved us into a much older home when I was 11, the tiny bedrooms were terrible for just me and my sister.  I actually moved into the attic to get some space.    And that was just 2 of us in the room.  Those kids are going to be bouncing off the walls in no time. 

Edited by nokidsmom
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Today she addressed their living situation on IG. The bunk has a trundle beneath the bottom bed. So, that room could accommodate 4 children. And, yes, the ladder is part of the every day decor. The Paines are looking at property to build their own home. 

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 6
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Today she addressed their living situation on IG. The bunk has a trundle beneath the bottom bed. So, that room could accommodate 4 children. And, yes, the ladder is part of the every day decor. The Paines are looking at property to build their own home. 

That ladder screams “blanket trained kids.”

• Upvote 11

Erin and Chad need some advanced grifting lessons from Jill Rodrigues. They would have their dream house in no time.

• Upvote 4

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, SassyPants said:

Don't forget where she said all the kids' toys fit in that one toy box. I'm all for minimal living, but that seems a bit tight. Granted I grew up with a playroom just for me and had the generic versions of all the hottest toys. In the first home I remember, my parents gave up the master bedroom so that I could have it because I was potty training and it had a half bath attached. My father admits now that he was lazy in the following years and didn't want to move the furniture, as the rooms were similarly sized. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic