IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 5: I just see babies having baby showers!

HerNameIsBuffy

Josie and Kelton are buying a house, closing in a month. Announcement on Instagram.

A skeptical commenter asked how they can afford it, and whether they're getting money from the TV show. Josie responded:

We work for our money just like everyone else does. My husband has had his plumbing license since he was 18 and is the service manager of a local plumbing company and I am a hairstylist.

All very true, and I believe houses in their area are affordable for a plumber and hairstylist, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was TV money in that downpayment.

Or maybe Gil hogs it all to spend himself?

Edited by Jigsaw3
Include source for the info!
  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

It is interesting to me that Josie said, I" am a hairstylist", not "I was a hair stylist". While I don't have much hope, I wonder if she thinks she'll go back to it.

Realistically, I know that once the babies start coming the job becomes a happy, or unhappy, memory.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

I think hairstylist could be something Josie continues to do very very very part time. A wedding here and there, probably for family or close friends. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

9 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Josie and Kelton are buying a house, closing in a month. Announcement on Instagram.

A skeptical commenter asked how they can afford it, and whether they're getting money from the TV show. Josie responded:

All very true, and I believe houses in their area are affordable for a plumber and hairstylist, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was TV money in that downpayment.

She has learned from her parents about how to word things in a way that makes it look like you are answering while not really answering. She very pointedly didn't say if they got money from the show. I suspect they do, but admitting to using reality TV money to buy a house doesn't mesh with their image. I wouldn't be surprised if she makes money being a hairstylists part time or just for weddings. Jill Rod. is a fool for not doing the same. 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Jigsaw3 said:

Kelton family looks pretty well off. Same for Bobbys family. I dont think its the Uptv money because then Erin and chad would have been able to buy a house already, since they are featured much more on the show than Josie, but they are still in the tiny rented cottage.

• Upvote 12

I think she continues to work from home and have friends and family come over to do their hair. It is one of those jobs that is quite easy to do part time from home as long as you have the network.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

I think she continues to work from home and have friends and family come over to do their hair. It is one of those jobs that is quite easy to do part time from home as long as you have the network.

It'll be easier to do it from home legally once she is in her own home versus an apartment/rental. She can even apply for a license to be professional as a business versus just doing it to do it and risking liability.  

• Upvote 5

If I received some money outside of my regular job and I knew or thought I wouldn't be getting much more (such as the UP show) I'd likely use what I had as a downpayment, a big downpayment, so I could have a house with as small as mortgage as possible. Maybe they are paying outright for it. That's OK, too. I think it is kind of a smart thing to do.

How long ago did UP focus on Chad and Erin 'house hunting' for a large fixer-upper? Is it possible they have bought something and work is still being done on it, as they can afford it? Or was the house-hunting episode just one of the skits that the production crew invented for public interest?

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I wouldn't be surprised if she makes money being a hairstylists part time or just for weddings. Jill Rod. is a fool for not doing the same.

I agree but am not sure I'd wish the Jill Rod version of hairstyling on anyone...especially for $$s, and they'd have to listen to her.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Bobology said:

How long ago did UP focus on Chad and Erin 'house hunting' for a large fixer-upper? Is it possible they have bought something and work is still being done on it, as they can afford it? Or was the house-hunting episode just one of the skits that the production crew invented for public interest?

It was more than a year ago, i do think that Erin and Chad have plans to eventually buy a fixer upper, but they also faked it for the episode because they knew full well they were not going to buy the property anytime soon. The storyline was clearly created so they could show Whitney in her new realtor job showing them a house.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, llucie said:

It was more than a year ago, i do think that Erin and Chad have plans to eventually buy a fixer upper, but they also faked it for the episode because they knew full well they were not going to buy the property anytime soon. The storyline was clearly created so they could show Whitney in her new realtor job showing them a house.

They really need to hurry up. The newest baby will only be able to stay in a small bassinet in their bedroom for the first 5-6 months. I don’t know if they can fit a full crib in their master bedroom. And I’m positive they can’t fit another bed in that tiny second bedroom. 

• Upvote 4

I think Chad wanted to be able to buy a house outright without a mortgage. If that's the case, that may take some time. I personally think he should give up that dream because his family is rapidly expanding. It is great to buy a house without debt, but nothing is wrong with a mortgage either. It is possible to get pre-approved without a FICO score since it can be done through mortgage underwriting.

Kids cost money, so it may be more difficult to save more income. I know that they try to remedy the space issue by having the kids play outside. Don't they have their three kids in one room? Eventually that will not work.

• Upvote 7

Sadly, I can also see at least two kids sharing a bed in that family. I know that the Duggars also shared beds. As I recall, the TTH was built before the younger girls, so as they got out of Jim Bob and Michelle room, some of them shared with their older sisters.

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, llucie said:

I am still betting that a "storyline" for the upcoming episodes will include either house hunting or land hunting with the plan to build a house. That way Chad gets to be shown off for his construction skills, UP will assist (not fully fund) some of the project, and Erin gets to decorate. 

I am still finding it interesting that Josie seems to less than enthused by her sisters' business and decorating, etc. Where Carlin, Tori, and Whitney gush about Erin's decorating help, the brief view we got this past season for Josie decorating the apartment included an outside friend helping and no mention of Erin. While Tori, Michaela, and Katie are modeling and boosting sales for the "boutique," Josie and Alyssa are absent from this (yes, Alyssa lives outside of Tennessee). Maybe it is nothing, but it makes me smile a little bit if there is a little bit of subtle pushback from Josie and desire to live her own life rather than the full-on brand. There's probably a rational reason for it, but I'd rather see it as her asserting her independence a little. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I am still finding it interesting that Josie seems to less than enthused by her sisters' business and decorating, etc. Where Carlin, Tori, and Whitney gush about Erin's decorating help, the brief view we got this past season for Josie decorating the apartment included an outside friend helping and no mention of Erin. While Tori, Michaela, and Katie are modeling and boosting sales for the "boutique," Josie and Alyssa are absent from this (yes, Alyssa lives outside of Tennessee). Maybe it is nothing, but it makes me smile a little bit if there is a little bit of subtle pushback from Josie and desire to live her own life rather than the full-on brand. There's probably a rational reason for it, but I'd rather see it as her asserting her independence a little. 

Yes, it was the same friend that organized Willows baby shower. Both Josie and Kelton apartment and the baby shower looked fantastic, so it was a good decision, but it must hurt Erins ego a bit. About the clothes i also find it strange, specially since Josie does promote other clothes brands on her instagram, but not her sisters clothes!

• Upvote 10

3 hours ago, llucie said:

Yes, it was the same friend that organized Willows baby shower. Both Josie and Kelton apartment and the baby shower looked fantastic, so it was a good decision, but it must hurt Erins ego a bit. About the clothes i also find it strange, specially since Josie does promote other clothes brands on her instagram, but not her sisters clothes!

She modeled for them in their first ever photoshoot, back in April, but not since then. I imagine she's getting paid by Josie's Boutique to promote their clothing and not so much to do anything for her sisters' clothing line... Plus, it's probably also a conflict of interest and might be against her contract with Josie's Boutique. Assuming she has one.

Personally, I think she might just be one of those people who gets a boyfriend as a teenager (or in her case a new husband) and stops spending time with her friends and family. Katie hasn't posted about how they're best friends since Josie got engaged, and neither has her other good friend, Makayla (minus birthday posts.)

There seem to be people like Jill who spend all of their free time with the family while their husband is at work and then there are people like Josie who have an outside job and also probably wanted to escape their house. And now she has a baby and even more of an excuse not to be around the Bates anymore. I think she's a lot more like Alyssa than Erin in that respect. I'm sure as the honeymoon phase wears off and baby gets older that'll change.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

It might just be that they have different taste. Josie is very boho chic with minimalist/modern/"Scandinavian" flair, which is not Erins cup of tea at all. 

• Upvote 12

In addition to their own earnings, and possibly TV money, they also could have a tidy amount of cash from their wedding. I know we got a nice amount of money when we married (not nearly enough for a down payment in our area but a good start) and because they live in a cheaper market they could very well have enough for a small starter home. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, indianabones said:

She modeled for them in their first ever photoshoot, back in April, but not since then. I imagine she's getting paid by Josie's Boutique to promote their clothing and not so much to do anything for her sisters' clothing line... Plus, it's probably also a conflict of interest and might be against her contract with Josie's Boutique. Assuming she has one.

Personally, I think she might just be one of those people who gets a boyfriend as a teenager (or in her case a new husband) and stops spending time with her friends and family. Katie hasn't posted about how they're best friends since Josie got engaged, and neither has her other good friend, Makayla (minus birthday posts.)

There seem to be people like Jill who spend all of their free time with the family while their husband is at work and then there are people like Josie who have an outside job and also probably wanted to escape their house. And now she has a baby and even more of an excuse not to be around the Bates anymore. I think she's a lot more like Alyssa than Erin in that respect. I'm sure as the honeymoon phase wears off and baby gets older that'll change.

Now that Josie has a baby, I bet she will want help. She will need someone to watch the baby so she and Kelton can go on little trips. When she has another baby, she will definitely spend more time with family. That’s how they suck you back in. Free childcare.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

It’s actually pretty sad. Josie was likely enjoying what she thought was freedom from her family. But they teach her that Birth control is evil so she has a baby by her first anniversary. And she’s sucked back in. At 19.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s actually pretty sad. Josie was likely enjoying what she thought was freedom from her family. But they teach her that Birth control is evil so she has a baby by her first anniversary. And she’s sucked back in. At 19.

It is, and Josie is going to have to figure this whole thing out pdq, or she's going to have 19 kids, her immediate family bunking at her house constantly, and a career as a homeschool mom to many instead of as a hairstylist. I don't think Josie wants to be fundie, but is going to have to learn how to communicate her needs and desires, and then put them into action by telling many people in her life no. I hope she does.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, 16strong said:

. I don't think Josie wants to be fundie

I think she's clearly comfortable as a fundie, but maybe not a quiverful one. 

But her very best friend (the designer) has a bunch of kids and homeschools. So if Josie's social circle is just a more trendy version of Bates, I have no hope for her.

Josie likes her job. But Erin loved hers with passion and she left it to be a SAHM. They are brainwashed to only keep careers as a hobbie (or even left it completely). I think the younger the Bates, the easier for them to be a working mom with a few kids, but it depends a lot on the husband and the social circle.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

On 8/10/2019 at 8:39 PM, 16strong said:

I don't think Josie wants to be fundie,

Why? She may have realized by now that marrying the creepy guy who preyed on her since she was a young teen was a very bad life decision, but I haven't seen any indication she has. We can't know. Maybe being a fundie who wears pants and gets to cut hair on the side while showing off her babies suits her. 

Of all the Bates son-in-laws, Kelton seems to me to be the one who would absolutely lose it if his wife started showing signs of independence and not wanting to follow his rules. Even after college and dating women his age, his ideal wife was a sheltered teen girl. Josie very well may grow to start thinking and rejecting the fundie lifestyle, but it will be hard with a husband like Kelton and children, but right now I haven't seen anything that pointed to her rejecting being a fundie. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

When did the Bateses get cool with mortgages? Did I miss something? (That's not rhetorical; I very well may have missed something.)

I thought they didn't believe in debt of any kind? I could sort of see saving up at their ages for a down payment since houses are so cheap in that area (About $100k for a two bedroom? So $20k for a down payment?) But to buy the house outright? There's no way. Even with TV money, because I doubt UP! is paying that much. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I don't recall the Bates being against mortgages specifically, but I sure could have missed something. As far as other debt, Gil and Kelly likely have never racked up much, if any, debt because they try to get everything for free or significantly reduced price. The Duggars are openly against all debt for any reason (and I wonder if that is part of the G2 women trying to get the birthing done as cheaply as possible) but I haven't heard the Bates go on and on about it the way JB and Michelle have done. Even if they are, the G2s don't HAVE to be against all debt if they don't want to be. What is weird is that it costs money to live and to stay alive. Nearly everyone has to pay for housing of some sort whether paying a mortgage or paying rent.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic