IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 5: I just see babies having baby showers!

HerNameIsBuffy

For some reason I had a hunch Willow was going to make her appearance on Felicity Vuolo's birthday. Glad things went well. Hope she receives a different upbringing than her parents. She deserves it.

• Upvote 3

Glad it was a hospital birth. May Willow break free from the cult one day.

I didn't even think about make up after birth. I looked like a hot fucking mess in my new baby photos.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

It seems the Bates' girls have much smaller babies than the Duggar girls. Could it perhaps be due to actual, real, prenatal care? 

• Downvote 2
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

It seems the Bates' girls have much smaller babies than the Duggar girls. Could it perhaps be due to actual, real, prenatal care? 

Genetics have a very important role in it too, IMO, so it’s not all about the prenatal care. Also, Kendra and Jinger had good prenatal care and they still had bigger babies than the Bates women. 

ETA: I was researching a bit on the topic and most papers I saw talked about low birthweight in relation to bad prenatal care, and showed how decent prenatal care can help reduce low birthweight. I didn’t see much stuff in high birthweight. 

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

The Duggar daughters mostly delivered overdue. In the last weeks the babies put on weight and not too slow. Felicity was on the smaller side but Jinger was induced a week early. If she had delivered later the weight gap would have been less significant or even non existent. I believe if any of the Bates grandchildren will be delivered a week or more overdue their weight would be much higher.

But prenatal care, nutrition and physical activity as well as genetics play a role too.

[I strongly believe that at least  Joy has a problem with her blood sugar during pregnancy. Even though they said she hadn’t suffered from gestational diabetes. You can get it weeks after the standard test. What was shown at least pointed to it and I don’t think they monitored this closely enough. But this is my personal speculation.]

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

A "rather terrifying and shocking process", eh? I wonder if Kelton had a tough time watching Josie in labor given what he went through with his mom...

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

I wonder if it was a rough birth for Josie. Between Kelton's "terrifying and shocking" comment and Kelly saying she was a real trooper, it seems like there may have been some difficulty.  If so, I wonder if this will lead Kelton to consider limiting the number of times this happens.  He must be scared of losing Josie. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Mrs.Right said:

Anyone know why she might still be hooked up to an IV in their photo? 

It looks to me like it's probably capped (not correct medical term). The line is kept there for a little while in case they need to re-access it. Maybe she needed pitocin afterwards or antibiotics or something like that. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

My experience also.  It seems that once and IV is put in, they don't like to take it out again until they're sure they can't or won't need to use it again.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

It could be a bad angle that makes Willow look a little cone-y, but maybe they had to bust out the forceps? That would freak me out a bit.

I'm just going to say it, and take my lumps for doing so.

If I didn't know better, I'd have thought the parents were a couple of teen aged siblings posing with the new baby, and not the actual parents.

If I'd just seen a closeup of the baby and not her parents smiling faces, I'd have thought she was dead.  I know it's not like you can expect anyone to sleep with an expression of "I'm just really tired and sleeping, I'm not dead!"  But there's something about how she's shown in profile, her head is tilted back, her mouth is slack and open, and her rosy lips are a sharp contrast to her pale skin, like someone had put a little color on them.

I guess I'm more used to seeing newborns more compactly swaddled, heads resting more forward, and their lips are closer to their skin tone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I will only repeat what a midwife said to me- I don’t have any first hand experience so take it with a grain of salt!

She said that forceps, used by someone experienced, are actually easier and leave less damage. But you really have to know what you are doing. Today many aren’t properly trained with them anymore if at all so less and less doctors get a good training and this method is on the out. 

I conclude that, like with so many things, it all is up to the people who do the job. If they are calm, experienced and give you a positive feeling your experience will probably be a good one, forceps or not. I was scared of ending up with a c-section but in the end it wasn’t bad at all, the team was great and I was so relieved (even elated) when I knew it would be over soon.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, feministxtian said:

No.

• Upvote 3

As happy as I am that mom and baby are healthy and she safely delivered in a hospital, I hate those black and white photos Kelly posted because Josie looks like a child.

She and Kendra Duggar have been the most jarring new moms for me. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

This photo in Kelly’s series of photos speaks  volumes to me. Presumably the last time Kelton’s father was likely at a birth was a traumatic one where he lost his wife. You can see a lot of emotion on Kelton & his father’s faces in this photo. It must have truly been an extremely emotional experience for them both. I feel for them deeply looking at this photo, to the point that it’s almost chilling. I hope they are all feeling well and I hope that if Kelton had any anxiety or fear that he was able to talk them through with somebody, same for his father. 

7D0B09D1-9B15-4584-8449-3E6CEA395122.jpeg

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 4

Kelton looks like an emotional wreck in some of those photos. For all the questionable comments he’s made, I do believe he loves Josie and by the looks of the photos, seeing her in pain was tough for him.

I hope Kelton’s experience with his own mum and his love for Josie will lead them to limit their family size and really focus and love the children they do have. And hopefully their children will have better opportunities than their parents. But I guess we’ll have to wait and see what happens. Then again, as the saying goes ‘hope breeds eternal misery’ - perhaps they’ll be as fundy as their parents, just dressed better 

Edited by BlessaYourHeart
Grammar
  • Upvote 20
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Flossie said:

If I'd just seen a closeup of the baby and not her parents smiling faces, I'd have thought she was dead.  I know it's not like you can expect anyone to sleep with an expression of "I'm just really tired and sleeping, I'm not dead!"  But there's something about how she's shown in profile, her head is tilted back, her mouth is slack and open, and her rosy lips are a sharp contrast to her pale skin, like someone had put a little color on them.

I guess I'm more used to seeing newborns more compactly swaddled, heads resting more forward, and their lips are closer to their skin tone.

I'm a nurse and I have a suspicion about this baby, but I will not share it in case I'm wrong. 

• Downvote 14
  • WTF 3

1 hour ago, Seculardaisy said:

This photo in Kelly’s series of photos speaks  volumes to me. Presumably the last time Kelton’s father was likely at a birth was a traumatic one where he lost his wife. You can see a lot of emotion on Kelton & his father’s faces in this photo. It must have truly been an extremely emotional experience for them both. I feel for them deeply looking at this photo, to the point that it’s almost chilling. I hope they are all feeling well and I hope that if Kelton had any anxiety or fear that he was able to talk them through with somebody, same for his father. 

7D0B09D1-9B15-4584-8449-3E6CEA395122.jpeg

Absolutely agree. He’s said some really cringeworthy stuff, but the photos make it seem like this was a genuinely difficult and emotional experience for him (and Josie too, obviously). The blanket makes me wonder if he had a panic attack or anxiety of some sort - my husband and mom wrapped me up in blankets when I had the worst of my panic attacks during my daughter’s NICU stay because I was shaking so badly. The feeling of a blanket  like that can be very calming for some people. Or maybe he was just exhausted and needed to rest a bit. Either way, I think whatever he (and Josie and his father) felt was probably pretty understandable and I hope both Josie and Kelton are doing ok. 

The photo of Kelton hugging Kelly hurt my heart a bit. I’m glad her parents and his dad appear to have been there to help them through the experience and it’s a genuinely beautiful photo, but there’s something about it that just makes me feel a bit sad looking at it. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

It just blows my mind how every time one of these Bates girls has a baby, almost every member of their huge ass (obnoxious) family seems to be hanging out in their hospital room all day, taking pictures holding the newborn. 

No thank you.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 12
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Screamapillar said:

It just blows my mind how every time one of these Bates girls has a baby, almost every member of their huge ass (obnoxious) family seems to be hanging out in their hospital room all day, taking pictures holding the newborn. 

No thank you.

Same! My first L&D all my husbands sisters, my siblings, parents etc showed up after the birth but every time since we have dropped our kids off with family and then limited hospital visitors to just our kids and whomever is bringing them to the hospital and we try to keep it under an hour and a half to two hours. Those first hours after birth are so precious, I try to reserve them for my husband, myself, and the new baby so we can all heal, relax, and learn each other. I can’t stand a lot of hospital room commotion, it stresses me out. Also I always worry that my kids and our  visitors might disrupt other people in the L&D ward. 

I know Alyssa has mentioned on the show that she doesn’t want anyone there during her labor and afterwards only her mom and dad get invited into the birth center. She said in an episode her siblings could come to her house days to weeks after the birth once they’re settled and honestly I felt that lol.

Edited by Seculardaisy
  • Upvote 10
  • Love 5

12 hours ago, Mrs.Right said:

Anyone know why she might still be hooked up to an IV in their photo? 

When I gave birth in March, they kept the IV needle in  from the time I was admitted Monday afternoon to me being released Thursday evening. They used it anytime they needed to give me something.. I received fluids after the birth and the rhogam shot afterwards as well through it. 

• Upvote 5

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic