IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 5: I just see babies having baby showers!

HerNameIsBuffy

12 hours ago, Kelsey said:

Also babies can look like one parent for a few months and then be a spitting image of the other for a time. 

I once read that infants resembling their fathers is most likely the result of evolution: when the child resembled the father, the father was less likely to kill the child/more willing to invest (resources) in the child. 
However, I started looking into it and new research has found that this is not the case.

According to this article, recent research has found that "most infants resemble both parents equally".

To me, all newborn babies look more or less the same. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Marly said:

I once read that infants resembling their fathers is most likely the result of evolution: when the child resembled the father, the father was less likely to kill the child/more willing to invest (resources) in the child. 
However, I started looking into it and new research has found that this is not the case.

According to this article, recent research has found that "most infants resemble both parents equally".

I've never been one to see the resemblance thing in infants either. People tell me that I (no longer an infant) look just like my mother and my father, depending on which they met first. I so appreciate being told I look like a 75 year old bald man.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19

1 hour ago, Marly said:

My baby bears a striking resemblance to Wallace Shawn. I keep expecting him to look at me and go “inconceivable!”

i womder what that means, evolutionarily ?

• Haha 18
  • Love 1

I usually see the resemblance of parents in their babies when the babies have a certain expression. My niece looks exactly like my sister when she laughs. Like Felicity Vuolo looks like Jinger when she smiles because they both have that nose crinkle.

• Upvote 4

The thing that's off-putting about Kelton is not his actual facial features but the smugly satisfied look that seems to be on his face most of the time. It's a face that says "I vote to suppress women's rights, allow crazies to stockpile automatic rifles, and lock children in cages." He's not an unattractive dude, but he's not a movie star. Willow definitely favors him right now, but she's a cute baby.

• Upvote 26
  • Love 1

I agree - I think you can acknowledge a resemblance without insinuating a child is or isn't attractive. In certain pictures, I think Johanna Duggar really resembles Josh or some of the other J boys. This does not mean that I think Johanna is ugly, looks like a boy or man, or even looks like a creepy man. In fact, I think Johanna will come out of puberty looking beautiful like many of the Duggar girls (I think she will eventually look more like a Joy-Jana hybrid personally). However, I can think she is a pretty young girl, while also thinking she resembles her brothers.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

BEC

I think both Kelton and Evan dress poorly for their size/shape and it is unflattering. I've got an extremely long torso which is out of proportion to the rest of my body. Seriously, I'm 6 inches shorter than my husband when we stand next to each other, but I'm taller than him when we both sit up straight next to each other. So I notice long torsos. 

Kelton & Evan either have really long torsos and short legs, or they dress to make their torsos look longer and legs look shorter. In general, not every man should jump on the skinny jeans train, because it just doesn't provide the most flattering silhouette. Neither man is very tall, so that's probably part of it.

Examples:

Spoiler

1081927663_image(15).png.8011ccc6292a3165592cb7420d0f929c.png1991878306_image(14).png.ce6177ea3d4b0a017bf068be730eecae.png

Anyway, looks are subjective. The way they dress and stand is not flattering IMO. I always project how I feel about someone onto how I perceive their attractiveness. Kelton pursing a teen girl four years younger than him and making Josie responsible for his "nice guy" hurt feelings will always make him unattractive to me.

Side note: it's crazy how many semi-professional photo shoots these people do. Josie and Carlin have their timing down. Get the engagement pics, wedding pics, pregnancy announcement pics, sex reveal pics, maternity pics, newborn pics, and first wedding anniversary pics... you've got 7 photo shoots in about 16 months. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

The Bates girls all (so far) have gone through an incredibly unfortunate puberty/early teen years. Alyssa's eyebrows from back in the day still scare me. This wasn't helped with the oldest ones going through some bad perms and jumpers. 

They tend to be cute toddlers/preschoolers and then it hits. Then around 17-19 they become much better looking overall. Will that hold true for the grandchildren? 

• Confused 1
  • WTF 4

2 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

The Bates girls all (so far) have gone through an incredibly unfortunate puberty/early teen years. Alyssa's eyebrows from back in the day still scare me. This wasn't helped with the oldest ones going through some bad perms and jumpers. 

They tend to be cute toddlers/preschoolers and then it hits. Then around 17-19 they become much better looking overall. Will that hold true for the grandchildren? 

I think that holds true for everyone lol

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

I mean... they are fundies but still humans. ? Pretty much everyone looks awkward and weird at that age. I know for sure I was.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

57 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

I mean... they are fundies but still humans. ? Pretty much everyone looks awkward and weird at that age. I know for sure I was.

True, but in families there tend to be a few duds who never improve. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Kelton reminds me of my first boyfriend that I dated for years. So I can’t say he’s unattractive. I obviously found someone very similar to him attractive. I think Willow will grow up to be a cute mix of them both. 

3 hours ago, llucie said:

I think that holds true for everyone lol

Definitely. But my awkward stage lasted way too long. It didn’t help that I had braces from the age of 15 to 19!

• Upvote 3

I also didnt mean to imply that Willow isnt cute, because I think she is! I just dont find Kelton attractive but Id say a lot of it has to due with their shitty beliefs. Also his obsessive behaviour towards Josie always grossed me out. 

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Some Bates daughters have been (or are) pretty teenagers. Anyway, none of them has been "incredibly unfortunate" in my opinion. Maybe their clothes and hairdos were their worst enemy, but you're implying they all looked ugly! 

• Upvote 5

I was going through my mom's old photo albums of the old days and there is a photo of me at maybe the age of 13-14 and no lie, I looked exactly like Barb from Stranger Things. I posted in on fb and so many people thought it WAS her. ? So yes I can attest to looking awkward during the growing-up years. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Some Bates daughters have been (or are) pretty teenagers. Anyway, none of them has been "incredibly unfortunate" in my opinion. Maybe their clothes and hairdos were their worst enemy, but you're implying they all looked ugly! 

No, there is a distinction between incredibly unfortunate and ugly.

Their clothing, hair, and even grooming didn't help it, as it created a very plain appearance that did not highlight any of their features. Most had what most people have of a few years of awkwardness. There are good things about their genes too, as most did not seem to suffer from acne like the Duggar girls tend to have in their teens. The family's turn toward being a television family has helped the girls either have access or permission to color their hair, wear makeup, etc. 

To give you an example, many of the girls (Tori and Carlin being the exceptions) had blonde hair as babies and toddlers. By the time they were Callie/Ellie/Addie's ages, their hair was light or dark brown in color - basically a mousy brown. Most of the older ones waited until they were out of the house to begin coloring or styling their hair in a way that enhanced their facial features. For example, Michaela was on the epsiode of 19 Kids and Counting where the girls from both families go camping. She got up early to do her hair, curling it in the foggy morning. People watching the show realized that while all the talk had been about Erin's engagement and courtship, that Michaela was seeing someone at that point. 

One can see a divide in the timeline and a change from their natural prettiness that has come out around age 14-15 for most of them and that 17-18 where they are getting ready to court. It's usually as simple as the braces come off and the hair color and makeup come out. 

I'm not implying that they all looked ugly, and I am sorry if you read it that way. I am simply saying that appearances as a baby or toddler are not accurate indicators of appearance as an adult.

• Upvote 5
  • Bless Your Heart 1

21 minutes ago, fluffernutter said:

I was going through my mom's old photo albums of the old days and there is a photo of me at maybe the age of 13-14 and no lie, I looked exactly like Barb from Stranger Things. I posted in on fb and so many people thought it WAS her. ? So yes I can attest to looking awkward during the growing-up years. 

I love Barb! I was Barb to a T in high school! Watching movies and tv shows about high school kids, I had a hard time ever relating to any of the characters. But when my husband and I were watching the first season I was yelling at the tv that I was exactly Barb in high school minus the whole upside down ;)

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Some Bates daughters have been (or are) pretty teenagers. Anyway, none of them has been "incredibly unfortunate" in my opinion. 

Alyssa had a couple rough years. The terrible frumpers and bad hair didn't help. (Full disclosure, I had a "couple rough years" from like age nine until about age 24...)

I still can't get over how every Bates daughter is so exceptionally good looking as an adult. And all in a different way. I mean, Kelly and Gil aren't physically ugly by any means, but geez, the combo of those genes mixed with some estrogen is like magic sauce. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

Some of us are still waiting to outgrow that "unfortunate" stage. I've come to accept that I'll always be "unfortunate" looking. Thank God my kids are gorgeous, even if they do sort of look like me. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

I think that the girls are average looking, and just don't have strikingly awkward features that would classify them as "unfortunate." 

I think their beliefs support what everyone is saying here. If you don't have to work an early-morning or emotionally/physically exhausting job, and you spend a ton of time on your hair and makeup, and you wear a flattering sundress, and you smile a lot, you will look conventionally pretty. 

This is part of the fundie belief that if you just put effort into your countenance & dress feminine, you will be attractive.

There is some truth in it, but the difference is normal people don't feel beholden to these standards all the time, nor are they keeping up a C-list celebrity appearance. Also, normal people don't think it's sinning to not beautify themselves for their husbands. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

17 hours ago, kmachete14 said:

I think that the girls are average looking, and just don't have strikingly awkward features that would classify them as "unfortunate." 

I think their beliefs support what everyone is saying here. If you don't have to work an early-morning or emotionally/physically exhausting job, and you spend a ton of time on your hair and makeup, and you wear a flattering sundress, and you smile a lot, you will look conventionally pretty. 

This is part of the fundie belief that if you just put effort into your countenance & dress feminine, you will be attractive.

There is some truth in it, but the difference is normal people don't feel beholden to these standards all the time, nor are they keeping up a C-list celebrity appearance. Also, normal people don't think it's sinning to not beautify themselves for their husbands. 

While I agree to a certain point

- they really do style themselves up a ton every day-

they seem to be in the fortune position that neither their bad diet nor their constant makeup/ hairstyling seems to affect them. Lots of people get bad skin or thin hair by overdoing it. And some of them have very aesthetically pleasing features. I am in the minority but I think Tori is the most gorgeous woman in the bunch and gives Alyssa and Josie, while pretty, a fun for their money in that department.

Another thing though- full make up can look very very good and natural on photos or video but absolutely horrible and clownish in person. Creases, clogged pores and visible foundation/ powder texture don’t show up on normal photos. Actors wear quite a bit of makeup shooting which doesn’t translate well off screen.

But another big part is the voice for me. Ever since I heard Whitney, Josie and Alyssa talk on Instagram (got their lives recommended for whatever reason and had a look) I am so turned off. And Whitney used to be my pet fundie sometime ago.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

I paid attention to Kelton’s looks on the new episode. I think he’s cute. I don’t find him attractive, maybe just because he’s much too young for me. I feel like he would look good in a high school football uniform.

• Upvote 5

I just saw the photo on Instagram of Kelton asleep next to Willow. Just can’t get over how much he looks like a sleeping child himself! Also, more shirtless photos not considered to be defrauding by the Bateses

• Upvote 11

20 hours ago, Johannah said:

I just saw the photo on Instagram of Kelton asleep next to Willow. Just can’t get over how much he looks like a sleeping child himself! Also, more shirtless photos not considered to be defrauding by the Bateses

Kelton definitely has a baby face. He will probably look younger than his age for years to come. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 10/14/2019 at 5:15 AM, princessmahina said:

My baby bears a striking resemblance to Wallace Shawn. I keep expecting him to look at me and go “inconceivable!”

i womder what that means, evolutionarily ?

That his genetic code allows for good cinema exposure.

(Try to sneak in My Dinner with Andre when he's a little older.)

Truth be told, my favorite Wallace Shawn memories are from Murphy Brown. I don't know if those will hold up for the teens of 2035 (dear rufus)

• Haha 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic