IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 5: I just see babies having baby showers!

HerNameIsBuffy

7 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

He doesn't know to capitalize his kid's name?

I was thinking the same thing. I am crap at grammar and punctuation and even I know that. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

He's not referring to their unborn child, he's referring to the new baby willow tree they purchased for their garden.

Being a plant mother is serious business.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 23

Maybe they are so hip and edgy their baby is going to just have a lowercase name.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 15

8 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

He's not referring to their unborn child, he's referring to the new baby willow tree they purchased for their garden.

Being a plant mother is serious business.

Wouldn’t it still be capitalized?

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2019 at 6:06 AM, Dandruff said:

I'm sure it's just an homage to e e cummings, not that Kelton is an idiot. I'm sure. 

Edited by bal maiden
typo. The irony.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

Except for the missing W (that I assume is a misstake, since I don’t think he’s that dumb) that’s actually a really sweet message. Not a word about what a godly woman she is or how he hopes she’ll share her love for Jesus with their child. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Is "so we can love on her" a correct expression?

I have never heard it, and it sounds a bit odd to me. I would rather say "so we can love her". However, English is not my mother tongue, so I am curious. 

Always learning new words! Lately, I'm trying to decipher the sports-related puns/ comments made in a business context. It's unbelievable how sports jargon, especially baseball and football, is prevalent in business talk in the USA. Live and learn ?

Edited by Shouldabeenacowboy
  • Upvote 1

"Love on her" basically means the same thing as "love her." It's a regionalism, I guess, or maybe an idiom. Not sure how you'd classify it.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Is "so we can love on her" a correct expression?

I have never heard it, and it sounds a bit odd to me. I would rather say "so we can love her". However, English is not my mother tongue, so I am curious. 

Always learning new words! Lately, I'm trying to decipher the sports-related puns/ comments made in a business context. It's unbelievable how sports jargon, especially baseball and football, is prevalent in business talk in the USA. Live and learn ?

It sounds odd to my New England ears, but it’s a common phrase in parts of the US as @heysmilinstrange said. I think it might mainly be a Southern thing, but I could be mistaken. It’s a positive and loving statement though, so Kelton is basically saying he just can’t wait for Willow to arrive. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I believe it's a southern phrase which means to kiss,hug, or snuggle. I've only heard it in reference to babies and animals. Example: Hand me that baby. I'm ready to love on her!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

I’m from the south and never say it. Alternately, JRod is from New York and is always talking about loving on various men, women, and children.

• Upvote 4

@Shouldabeenacowboy It comes up repeatedly in the Bates threads. Fairly common in the south, weird everywhere else. The Duggars don’t appear to say it, and I don’t think I’ve heard it in Arkansas.

Can we help with the sports jargon?

• Upvote 1

A LOT of what Kelly and all of them say makes me think WTF did they just say. But I'm very much a NYCer and they'd think I talk too fast. Actually I've had New Yorkers ask me to repeat myself. If I get really excited about something I start mumbling the words to get more of them out lol

• Haha 4

"Love on" just sounds so... nonconsensual to me. This is probably my own sensitivity, because my own mother tries to touch and kiss me in over the top ways I'm not comfortable with, but I feel the person getting 'loved on' doesn't get to decide whether they want it or not. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

It's pretty common here in Georgia. We use the phrase to refer to giving someone good sorts of attention or affection. My friend is getting married in a few weeks. Our group of friends are going to have a spa day together before the wedding. We referred to it as a chance to "love on her" by giving her gifts, talking about things she likes, and basically just having a day for her. Conversely, we use the phrase hate on him or her too. If a friend is lecturing someone or giving them a bad time, someone might ask why you are hating on that person. 

Some people might use it in a creepy way, but it is often just meant to be about making that other person feel loved and special. I'm not a touchy-feely person at all and still use the phrase. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, bal maiden said:

"Love on" just sounds so... nonconsensual to me. This is probably my own sensitivity, because my own mother tries to touch and kiss me in over the top ways I'm not comfortable with, but I feel the person getting 'loved on' doesn't get to decide whether they want it or not. 

I suppose that is true, but if you wait to love on a baby until they are verbal enough to consent, you will have missed some of the bonding that takes place via touch.

• Upvote 5

20 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Can we help with the sports jargon?

@QuiverFullofBooks the latest ones I've heard are:

1. "So and so knocked it out of the park at the meeting"
  2. "the client threw us a curveball on the timeline"

From the context and the people's expressions, I gathered that (1) the meeting was a good one; and (2) there was some kind of unexpected occurrence/delay/request. Would that be accurate? I don't even know which sports these refer to, I am guessing the first one might be baseball but I am not sure. 

• Upvote 7

Yes - both baseball.  Knocked it out of the park is more than good - it’s outstanding.  It refers to a home run hit so far it’s completely outside the ballpark so instant run.

curve ball is a surprise, but not a good one.  Usually mild - moderate inconvenience.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic