IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 7: Fundie Babypocalypse in Full Effect

HerNameIsBuffy

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

There were pictures with Erin students and there were a lot of them. Maybe she doesn't live that isolated? Do we know for sure if the house is far from the town? 

Edit to add that I myself found very strange teaching music with a baby. But Carson may have been a quiet baby or someone in the Bates house did the babysitting. 

Josie worked full time or at least she said so.

Hmm. . .interesting thought, but I don't see how that would work. Take Carson at six months. He's been put in his crib for safekeeping. Erin starts teaching piano to a child. The baby hears the sound of the scales, and the sound of his mother's voice, and starts howling. He wants to get in on the action. There are other reasons Carson might start crying. He blew out his diaper, or wants to be fed, or cuddled. It's a small cottage. It would be hard to continue with a lesson in such a scenario.

Even if the baby was quiet once in a while, I really can't see Erin having lots of clients. You can't expect a baby to sit quietly in his crib for 3-5 hours per day. 

I doubt she taught while Carson was napping. It seems unlikely Carson would sleep through a child's lesson. Even if he would, how likely is it that Erin could schedule lessons that exactly matched up with her son's nap time? 

It's certainly possible that Addee was recruited to come entertain the baby once in a while. But I don't think she'd do it on a regular schedule for 3-4 hours per day.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

There were pictures with Erin students and there were a lot of them. Maybe she doesn't live that isolated? Do we know for sure if the house is far from the town? 

Edit to add that I myself found very strange teaching music with a baby. But Carson may have been a quiet baby or someone in the Bates house did the babysitting. 

Josie worked full time or at least she said so.

I taught piano at home when my kids were babies, toddlers, and older. You learn to make it work and most families don’t mind your little ones. It’s really only a few hours a week. 30 minute lessons weekly for 20-30 students is only 10-15 hours a week. If each student is paying $80-100 a month (typical going rate for most piano teachers teaching from home currently, though I’m guessing Erin probably charged closer $50-$60 monthly) that’s a nice sum for only 10-15 hours a week.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 3

I have memories of her using a front carry pack for her lessons. Considering the history of her family with sleep training Enzo style, it would be fairly easy to work with or around nap times for her.

Didn’t she also have a bunch of sibling groups as clients? There would be spare hands to fob the baby off to during lessons. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Mrs Ms said:

I have memories of her using a front carry pack for her lessons. Considering the history of her family with sleep training Enzo style, it would be fairly easy to work with or around nap times for her.

Didn’t she also have a bunch of sibling groups as clients? There would be spare hands to fob the baby off to during lessons. 

Yes, that's what I think happened. Her clients were her younger siblings (she has a lot of them), who arrived in a group and took turns looking after the baby.

6 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

We know she lives very close to the Bates family home, which is in Rocky Top. Rocky Top has a population of 1,781. 

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Yes, that's what I think happened. Her clients were her younger siblings (she has a lot of them), who arrived in a group and took turns looking after the baby

The poster meant groups of siblings, not her siblings. She may have teached her own siblings but not as clients! No way Gil would have paid for that. As I said, the picture with all her students was impressive and it was commented here how difficult it looked with a baby. At the same time she recorded a CD, which also may be relatively easy for her, but again many hours are invested in the project. 

I think Erin is hardworking and loves music (both playing and teaching) And it's heartbreaking that she has been brainwashed to forget her career in order to have more and more kids. She has only four and already seems to be ignoring the 2 youngest. 

I don't know how to post an IG picture, but she had 30 students while Carson was a baby and she was pregnant and recording a CD https://www.instagram.com/p/-6oZ_cFUCt/?igshid=12humadgzsnjf

How she worked:

https://www.instagram.com/p/6lMlgIlUBq/?igshid=fny8xb59wp0a

Edited by Melissa1977
Add information
  • Upvote 9

1 minute ago, Melissa1977 said:

I think Erin is hardworking and loves music (both playing and teaching) And it's heartbreaking that she has been brainwashed to forget her career in order to have more and more kids. She has only four and already seems to be ignoring the 2 youngest. 

I don’t think Erin is necessarily ignoring Everly and Holland. I do think she isn’t posting about them on her insta very much, so we dont see them often. 

I do think it’s very sad she allowed herself to be persuaded to give up her piano aspirations. She’d have loved studying piano at the U of T. People who understand piano technique say she isn’t very good, but she *was* good enough to earn a scholarship so that’s something. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jackie3 said:

I don’t think Erin is necessarily ignoring Everly and Holland. I do think she isn’t posting about them on her insta very much, so we dont see them often. 

I do think it’s very sad she allowed herself to be persuaded to give up her piano aspirations. She’d have loved studying piano at the U of T. People who understand piano technique say she isn’t very good, but she *was* good enough to earn a scholarship so that’s something. 

I edited my previous post to add a link to the IG post were she claims having 30 students.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Do you know why they say she isn’t good? I haven’t paid much attention to her playing and don’t know enough about piano/technique to tell. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

We know she lives very close to the Bates family home, which is in Rocky Top. Rocky Top has a population of 1,781. 

Rocky Top itself only has 1,700 people, but it's less than half an hour from the center of Knoxville, less from the outskirts of Knoxville. Knoxville has a population of almost 200,000, so it's not like they live in the middle of nowhere. I could definitely see other fundie or conservative Christian families driving 20-30 minutes for lessons from someone who at the time was fundie famous adjacent, having been on 19KAC and United Bates of America. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

13 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

Yes, that's what I think happened. Her clients were her younger siblings (she has a lot of them), who arrived in a group and took turns looking after the baby.

Yes, but  Rocky Top is only about 5 miles from Norris, population 1,400, and about 10 miles from Clinton, population 10,000.

Rocky Top is still within the Knoxville metro area.  The Bates don't live in the middle of nowhere.

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, Johannah said:

Do you know why they say she isn’t good? I haven’t paid much attention to her playing and don’t know enough about piano/technique to tell. 

I'd be the last person to know. There was a thread about it a while back. Many people said her technique was poor and she did a lot of exagerated banging about ("frills", I think the term was). Some people said she had talent but needed guidance. She sounds nice enough to me, but I know nothing about music.

2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Yes, but  Rocky Top is only about 5 miles from Norris, population 1,400, and about 10 miles from Clinton, population 10,000.

Rocky Top is still within the Knoxville metro area.  The Bates don't live in the middle of nowhere.

I lived in a really small town once, with 5000 people. It was in a rural area (though 30 minutes from a city). There was one store, and lots of woods. So, to me, 1700 people or 1400 people must be really, really tiny.

11 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I edited my previous post to add a link to the IG post were she claims having 30 students.

That's so interesting, because at that point, she had only been back at work for two months. Interesting she'd hold a recital so soon. She is indeed a hard worker if she saw 30 students multiple times over two months, after an absence of probably six months or so.

https://www.instagram.com/p/6lMlgIlUBq/?hl=en

4 hours ago, OHFL2009 said:

I could definitely see other fundie or conservative Christian families driving 20-30 minutes for lessons from someone who at the time was fundie famous adjacent, having been on 19KAC and United Bates of America. 

Maybe some people would drive 60 min round trip for piano lessons (I wouldn't, since there are likely plenty of teachers in Knoxville). When we lived in the country, nobody ever visited us, we had to go to them! But then, I was not on a reality TV show. Maybe that's how she gets her clients.

Edited by Jackie3
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Johannah said:

This can be a subject of splitting hairs...yes, there is good piano technique and bad technique. There are probably thousands of pianists with better technique than Erin, but she is in no way a  “bad pianist”. I’ve taught several hundred piano students over the years. There is no end of kids who want to learn piano, but only a few who will stick with it long enough to progress as far as Erin. Most don’t want to practice, parents don’t make them practice, they get bored, move on, develop other interests etc.

Is Erin a “concert pianist”? No, but most of the thousands of piano teachers teaching around the country aren’t either. Is Erin talented? Yes. Is her style something everyone else will like? No, but that’s ok.

From what I’ve heard of Erin’s playing, it would have been very fair of her to charge $80-$100 a month for lessons. From what I know of the homeschoolers I’ve taught...they would have probably balked at that price which is why I’m guessing Erin probably undercharged herself and/or gave drastic discounts for siblings.
It’s like saying the hundreds of baseball players in the minor leagues aren’t any good because they’re not in the majors. They’re plenty good, there’s just some people who are better.

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 7
  • Love 1

Zach and Whitney went to the doctor today and spoke on their IG story after. He thinks its a boy and so does Bradley.  Whitney isn't sure either way.  The baby is doing well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 6

2 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

That's so interesting, because at that point, she had only been back at work for two months. Interesting she'd hold a recital so soon. She is indeed a hard worker if she saw 30 students multiple times over two months, after an absence of probably six months or so.

I think she came back to teach when Carson was 3 months old. He was born mid May and she came back teaching mid August. She definitely was teaching until Carson's birth. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Johannah said:

Erin banged on the piano keys. Her sytle was ornate with a lot of flourishes. The ornate style can be a matter of taste, but she needed to bang less and be more legato. I was not impressed with her playing at Jill Duggar's wedding, although she did have technical skill. 

I think she was fine to teach piano, but I would hope to get someone who played better at an event. 

• Upvote 7

• 2 weeks later...

I see there was an announcement for baby #4 and it caused as much excitement here as I felt when I read it. Whit and Zach are certainly toeing the baby line.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

• 1 month later...

It's a boy. Jayden Carl

Announce on Instagram and on UpTv or at least this is what i saw. 

Will this be the beginning of a boy strand for the Bates? 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 5
  • Thank You 4

When I was in high school I swore I was going to name a son Jayden (I did in The Sims, multiple times!) By the time I got around to actually having kids the whole Aiden/Jayden/Kayden trend was going strong and I was going for "recognizable but not common" so it fell off my list. Also I never had any sons ? Not a bad name though.

Carl is a bit of a surprise. Is there a Carl in the family? I think her dad is named James...

Edited by VineHeart137
Does embedding from IG not work anymore?
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

Whitney said Carl was after her dad, apparently. 

Jayden really is... something, but it goes well with her other kids names, I guess. Certainly not my cup of tea, though. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 2

They are no going for a b for boys k for girls naming theme then. I dont like Jayden or Carl but they are ok names, nothing weird, and Jayden goes well with Bradley.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

13 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Whitney said Carl was after her dad, apparently. 

Jayden really is... something, but it goes well with her other kids names, I guess. Certainly not my cup of tea, though. 

1 minute ago, llucie said:

They are no going for a b for boys k for girls naming theme then. I dont like Jayden or Carl but they are ok names, nothing weird, and Jayden goes well with Bradley.

In my mind, the names don't all go together. Bradley and Kaci (and it's various spellings) peaked in popularity in the 1980s, and were normal, but not super common names, with Bradley barely breaking the top 50 and Kaci only breaking the top 100 if you add all the various spellings together. Khloe/Chloe and Jayden both peaked in the early 2010s, and both were in the top 10 most popular names for multiple years. 

All the Bradleys and Kacis I know are in their 30s. Khloe and Jayden sound much more current. I don't think any of them are bad names, odd spelling/accent aside, but they definitely don't have a singular naming style. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1

14 minutes ago, OHFL2009 said:

In my mind, the names don't all go together. Bradley and Kaci (and it's various spellings) peaked in popularity in the 1980s, and were normal, but not super common names, with Bradley barely breaking the top 50 and Kaci only breaking the top 100 if you add all the various spellings together. Khloe/Chloe and Jayden both peaked in the early 2010s, and both were in the top 10 most popular names for multiple years. 

All the Bradleys and Kacis I know are in their 30s. Khloe and Jayden sound much more current. I don't think any of them are bad names, odd spelling/accent aside, but they definitely don't have a singular naming style. 

I doubt its what their doing but that would be kind of a fun theme to do. 1980s and now. Okay the first two kids we'll give 80s names the next two we'll give 2020s names. Then go back to 80s or maybe we'll pick two 70 names then 90s.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Really not keen on the name but then I prefer classical names with traditional spellings. Each to their own, but not my cup of tea. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic