IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 7: Fundie Babypocalypse in Full Effect

HerNameIsBuffy

I said in the Carlin thread I wish we could save the video.  I don't know the last time I laughed so hard.  At the end you hear "We'll have to cut that out no one will" Which made me believe the rest was "want to see that."

• Upvote 3

@HerNameIsBuffy so...it’s not hypocritical cause Zach’s not your type? Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad the Bates seem to be relaxing their modesty standards, I don’t really have a comment on the hypocrisy of the video either way. But to basically say “showing skin isn’t immodest if you’re not hot” just really rubs me the wrong way. 

• Upvote 15

I dont think it is hypocrital because Zach family doesnt follow the modesty standards. Both his wife and children dress in pants and sleeveless tops. He has also in the past show his disagreement with the no dancing rule. It would be hypocritical if it was Gil doing it.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

Zach has provided a few comments (sometimes a little passive-aggressively) over the years that indicate he is not and was not 100% on board with his parents' beliefs and practices. From dating (courting) someone who was not in that small circle of acceptable families and kissing before marriage to owning a television and not enforcing the modesty standards on his wife and children, he's forging his own path a bit. His working a secular job and not being in some big hurry to have 20 kids indicates that he probably isn't wanting to end up like Gil and Kelly pre-show days with little money and a lot of mouths to feed. I also give him credit that he and Whitney seem to live within their means in terms of not taking loads of trips or spending the UP money as fast as they receive it. They might be, but we don't see it as much as with some of the siblings. 

That doesn't mean he doesn't have some of the same ugly beliefs. I'm sure he does. I will say that I appreciate his modernization and the fact that it has not caused Gil and Kelly to somehow blackball him. The younger siblings seem to come to him for advice (sometimes producer driven) and he seems willing to give it, blatantly calling out Gil and Kelly's rules sometimes. It is nice and useful for those younger siblings to see a slightly different take on acceptable and realize that if a woman wears pants or a family watches a movie that they aren't all going to hell. 

• Upvote 21

I agree that it's not necessarily hypocritical since Zach has never professed the same modesty beliefs as Gil and Kelly. It is still a gendered double standard--since I doubt Whitney would be able to dance around with her shirt off--it's just one that greater US society (and many, though not all) other countries hold to. But it's not like I expect Zach to join the "free the nipple" movement. But it goes beyond that, too--children aren't "sexy" either but I don't see Kaci running around shirtless. So yeah, I don't think Zach's modesty standards are hypocritical, exactly, but I can still think they're kinda bullshit. And also think the idea that how modest/immodest you are being is dictated by how sexy you are is very bullshit. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

Zach has provided a few comments (sometimes a little passive-aggressively) over the years that indicate he is not and was not 100% on board with his parents' beliefs and practices. From dating (courting) someone who was not in that small circle of acceptable families and kissing before marriage to owning a television and not enforcing the modesty standards on his wife and children, he's forging his own path a bit. His working a secular job and not being in some big hurry to have 20 kids indicates that he probably isn't wanting to end up like Gil and Kelly pre-show days with little money and a lot of mouths to feed.

I can't speak to Zach's beliefs or if they have changed at all, but he's clearly demonstrated he's making different choices for himself and his family, different from his parents and also his married siblings.  I think as the oldest, he saw the difference when his father quit his job to basically grift while the family grew.   Things were probably ok at first when Gil was working a regular job and then got much more difficult when he resorted to begging, er grifting.   Life on his own is much better than living under his parents' chaotic roof and he's going to ensure he never has to repeat that part of his life again.  If he and Whit are saving the UP money rather than spending it, smart move on their part, they know it won't go on forever.  And they have jobs so when the TV show money stops rolling in, they will not be in a state of financial crisis.

• Upvote 5

So, pants are ok for Zach and Whit but not swinsuits? At least they could buy a modest bathing suit, we know they have the money. Street clothes on the pool seem nasty and dangerous to me. And i just defended Zach about his family loosened modesty standards two post ago. LOL 

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2019 at 12:35 AM, TheRadleyPorch said:

@HerNameIsBuffy so...it’s not hypocritical cause Zach’s not your type? Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad the Bates seem to be relaxing their modesty standards, I don’t really have a comment on the hypocrisy of the video either way. But to basically say “showing skin isn’t immodest if you’re not hot” just really rubs me the wrong way. 

My comment had nothing to do with that.

I think for the majority of people a guy doing a silly shirtless dance isn’t seen as a sexy act nor seen as seeking sexual attention in the way many would view it if a woman was to do the same in a bikini top.

society tends to redact very differently to scantily clad men bouncing around than women.  Advertising and media back that up.

Not to say there aren’t people who might get all hot and bothered over silly dancing shirtless men, but I can easily see why G and K wouldn’t see what he did as immodest.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, llucie said:

So, pants are ok for Zach and Whit but not swinsuits? At least they could buy a modest bathing suit, we know they have the money. Street clothes on the pool seem nasty and dangerous to me. And i just defended Zach about his family loosened modesty standards two post ago. LOL 

They may be wearing street clothes, but can we definitely say neither Bradley nor Kaci is wearing a swimsuit at all? Bradley's clearly wearing a t-shirt, and I'm really not sure *what* Kaci is wearing. But they could be wearing some form of swimsuit such as swim trunks and a swim dress with an attached suit. Frankly, I can't tell from the pictures.

I mean, as a kid in the '80s and early '90s (pre-rashguard days) I frequently wore long t-shirts that would otherwise be considered cover-ups over my swim suits in the pool or ocean when there was a lot of sun just as extra protection, so it would count as wearing street clothes in the water despite my wearing a proper swim suit.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

8 minutes ago, metheglyn said:

They may be wearing street clothes, but can we definitely say neither Bradley nor Kaci is wearing a swimsuit at all? Bradley's clearly wearing a t-shirt, and I'm really not sure *what* Kaci is wearing. But they could be wearing some form of swimsuit such as swim trunks and a swim dress with an attached suit. Frankly, I can't tell from the pictures.

Kaci is wearing a regular dress from Old Navy. Embarrassingly enough, I have the same dress in the adult version. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, metheglyn said:

I mean, as a kid in the '80s and early '90s (pre-rashguard days) I frequently wore long t-shirts that would otherwise be considered cover-ups over my swim suits in the pool or ocean when there was a lot of sun just as extra protection, so it would count as wearing street clothes in the water despite my wearing a proper swim suit.

I think all the boys are wearing a swinsuit, and then a t-shirt, except Bradley that seems to be wearing a swimming rashguard. No objections with that at all, but Kacy is wearing a regular dress. Even if she is wearing a swinsuit under it whats the point if she is going to cover it with a dress, it would be better to wear a modest swinsuit than that.

• Upvote 2

Maybe they forgot her swimmers and just let her go in, in her clothes.

I personally (depending on the sun exposure) would have (and have done) just sent my daughter in, in her undies. She normally camandos it home or her undies just dry out. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

5 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

I personally (depending on the sun exposure) would have (and have done) just sent my daughter in, in her undies. She normally camandos it home or her undies just dry out. 

It could be, i guess. Kacy used to wear normal swinsuits when she was little so i hope it was just that and not that they consider her too old now or something like that.

• Upvote 2

@HerNameIsBuffy Yes, I'm aware that women are more sexualized by society than men are, I'm saying that a.) I have a problem with that and b.) what is perceived as sexy should not dictate what is perceived as modest or immodest. And it clearly doesn't for the Bates--or if it does, then what they think is potentially sexy is pretty effed up. A three year old child isn't sexy either but I feel confident that neither Gil and Kelly nor Zach and Whitney would let Kaci run around shirtless. 

• Upvote 2

Just speculation, but it is also possible that neither Whitney nor Zach were present when the kids were swimming. If they were just with Kelly, than Kelly would likely not want to leave Kaci in just a swim suit and therefore had her wear her dress. 

• Upvote 11

In the comments Kelly said this was from when they did their UP promo shoot so they just may not have been prepared for swimming but I wouldnt let that stop me either. When I was a kid, I used to walk home in 40c heat and just dive into the pool in my school uniform LOL.

• Upvote 7

32 minutes ago, HurricaneBells said:

In the comments Kelly said this was from when they did their UP promo shoot so they just may not have been prepared for swimming but I wouldnt let that stop me either. When I was a kid, I used to walk home in 40c heat and just dive into the pool in my school uniform LOL.

Myprimary school (in the 80s) was awesome. When it hit high temps, they put the big industrial sprinklers on, on the playground and the whole school, in their uniforms ran through them. We were always dry before we got home. One of my best school memories. It sad that kids today would not be allowed to do that. 

We used to also play "dead ants" when it was to hot in the classroom to work. Aka stay still and nap.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Myprimary school (in the 80s) was awesome. When it hit high temps, they put the big industrial sprinklers on, on the playground and the whole school, in their uniforms ran through them. We were always dry before we got home. One of my best school memories. It sad that kids today would not be allowed to do that. 

We used to also play "dead ants" when it was to hot in the classroom to work. Aka stay still and nap.

Ha, we would have loved that but we survived off water fights in school hours. We often got sent home too because this was back in the days of those stupid demountables (remember them, omg). Western sydney in summer in a demountable building is a bitch #memories #straya

Edited by HurricaneBells
eta
  • Love 3

2 minutes ago, HurricaneBells said:

Ha, we would have loved that but we survived off water fights in school hours. We often got sent home too because this was back in the days of those stupid demountables (remember them, omg). Western sydney in summer in a demountable building is a bitch #memories #straya

Thank god I think I only had one year in a western syd demountable The rest I had normal classrooms. Demountables are torture.....Western syd demountables......HELL

• Upvote 2

When my husband was in high school, they lived in a tiny rural town that only had a grade school.  After that, the kids were bused to the nearest high school, about 35 miles away.  With stops to pick up/drop off students, the trip for some of them lasted about an hour and 15 minutes.  On hot days, the bus driver would pull off the highway and let the kids play in a pond located close to the road.  

It probably isn't allowed anymore, but back then everyone from the school officials on down just considered it a benefit of country living.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, TheRadleyPorch said:

@HerNameIsBuffy Yes, I'm aware that women are more sexualized by society than men are, I'm saying that a.) I have a problem with that and b.) what is perceived as sexy should not dictate what is perceived as modest or immodest. And it clearly doesn't for the Bates--or if it does, then what they think is potentially sexy is pretty effed up. A three year old child isn't sexy either but I feel confident that neither Gil and Kelly nor Zach and Whitney would let Kaci run around shirtless. 

I was responding to the supposition that my comment was in reference to Zach’s attractiveness and it was not.  

5 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

Thank god I think I only had one year in a western syd demountable The rest I had normal classrooms. Demountables are torture.....Western syd demountables......HELL

Are “demountables” what we called “portables” in Florida? Basically classroom trailers?

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

13 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I think the same. Alyssa's girls use regular swimsuits. I highly doubt Whitney has a different opinion.

Also, the 3 youngest Bates daugthers have been pictured in modest frumpy-swimsuits (those that are like dresses). 

I wonder if any of them expected to find a swimming pool there and simply hadn't the appropiate clothes.

Anyway, I find it disturbing seeing people fully clothed in a swimming pool. I thought it was banned, because it's dangerous! I prefer kids swimming in their underwear than full dressed. 

And if it is an adult who is swimming full dressed, In term of modesty, a full dressed soaked body is (or can be considerated) sexier than the same person in a swimsuit. 

Edited by Melissa1977
Clarify
  • Upvote 6
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

They could have forgot Kacy swinsuit, but i dont think they werent expecting a pool, because all the boys are in swinsuits, includying her brother.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic