IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Part 7: Fundie Babypocalypse in Full Effect

HerNameIsBuffy

On 5/13/2019 at 7:28 PM, Seculardaisy said:

I’m going to guess Jolie for a girl.

I was going to suggest Jolie Rae. As an aside, do they ever refer to Kaci as just Kaci? It seems like they always call her Kaci Lynn.

For a boy, I'm going to guess Asher. No particular reason.

Edited by VineHeart137
Autocorrect is drunk.

4 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

I was going to suggest Jolie Rae. As an aside, do they ever refer to Kaci as just Kaci? It seems like they always call her Kaci Lynn.

yes in baby number 3 annoucment video she calls her Kaci. she says what does that mean Kaci, then Kaci says she's going to be a big sister

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Kailash said:

I think Emery for a girl. 

I hope she's never bored (board)....ha.!  (sorry for the grandpa joke)

• Haha 16

At the risk of sounding like an utter curmudgeon, which, okay, I am at times, would it be improper to suggest that series of posts of nothing but baby name guesses are akin to using this forum as an Instagram aggregate?

Please no one take that personally; generally it's me and not you, not entering into the spirit of things. 

I avoid the baby name thread in the Duggar section though the Next Unread Topic link tries to make me go to it, which is a bit tiresome. The need to "weigh in" is lost on me in terms of discussing what these people are up to.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 3

Sometimes names have religious or family culture implications (a la Spurgeon and Wilberforce, or M names in honor of Michelle ?). They can give insight into maturity levels, levels of conformity, and who may have more power in the relationship.  I do not think name guesses or commentary are vapid or fangirling in this instance. 

7 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

At the risk of sounding like an utter curmudgeon, which, okay, I am at times, would it be improper to suggest that series of posts of nothing but baby name guesses are akin to using this forum as an Instagram aggregate?

Please no one take that personally; generally it's me and not you, not entering into the spirit of things. 

I avoid the baby name thread in the Duggar section though the Next Unread Topic link tries to make me go to it, which is a bit tiresome. The need to "weigh in" is lost on me in terms of discussing what these people are up to.

I'm with you. I've put a number of threads on ignore due to it being nothing but baby name talk, which doesn't interest me in the bit. who knows what these folks will name their innumerable kids? That said, folks can continue on with their fun, we should all scroll by the stuff that doesn't interest us, or put the thread on ignore, which is one of the best features ever. It's just that with so many pregnancy announcements lately, the naming discussions have increased. It will die down soon, I hope. 

• Upvote 15

17 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

I avoid the baby name thread in the Duggar section though the Next Unread Topic link tries to make me go to it, which is a bit tiresome.

Have you ignored the thread?  

50 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

You still end up having to scroll past it if you read the threads the way backyard sylph is talking about

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, AliceInFundyland said:

You still end up having to scroll past it if you read the threads the way backyard sylph is talking about

That's what i was wondering, but am packing so was trying to take a short cut to know if she ignored it before I tested it.

1 hour ago, Johannah said:

Sometimes names have religious or family culture implications (a la Spurgeon and Wilberforce, or M names in honor of Michelle ?). They can give insight into maturity levels, levels of conformity, and who may have more power in the relationship.  I do not think name guesses or commentary are vapid or fangirling in this instance. 

That’s a decent point after the name has been announced. Not so much prior to that though. To each their own though. I’ll just skip over the posts that are nothing but guesses. :) 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

57 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Yes, but that doesn't do anything?

And I guess I think even in slower Bates threads, series of name guess posts in each couple thread are more of a fan thing than not.

Edited by backyard sylph
Poor vertical typing skill
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

57 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

I'm with you. I've put a number of threads on ignore due to it being nothing but baby name talk, which doesn't interest me in the bit. who knows what these folks will name their innumerable kids? That said, folks can continue on with their fun, we should all scroll by the stuff that doesn't interest us, or put the thread on ignore, which is one of the best features ever. It's just that with so many pregnancy announcements lately, the naming discussions have increased. It will die down soon, I hope. 

I agree but the same could be said about the threads that are full of reposts of their SM and admiring their looks. Of course you can ignore it but that’s not the point that is discussed right now in other threads. Guessing birth date, weight, sex and name has nothing to do with discussing the dangers of Fundamentalism. I enjoy it when it comes up in threads (but won’t visit this specific thread) so I wouldn’t argue to get that banned though.

@Johannah I have to slightly disagree. Spurgeon and Heistheway might be worth the discussion but even the M-Kids names aren’t. They give their kids names starting with the letter M. So what. That says nothing we don’t know- Josh and Anna are the same kind of Fundies like their parents. It’s pure entertainment for us.

• Upvote 4

Just now, backyard sylph said:

Yes, but that doesn't do anything?

And I guess I think even in slower Bates threads, series of name guess posts kn each couple thread are more of a fan thing than not.

It doesn't in the next module, but it takes it out of activity streams and unread, so it's a handy feature - albeit imperfect.

And it can be a fan thing or not ....I find discussions on names interesting no matter the topic, and the random guesses I just scroll past.  In the Maxwell forum an indepth name discussion thread drifted into some really interesting trivia about Alice Roosevelt, which was odd but fun.  

But yeah - scrolling is the best way to handle that.  :) 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

It doesn't in the next module, but it takes it out of activity streams and unread, so it's a handy feature - albeit imperfect.

And it can be a fan thing or not ....I find discussions on names interesting no matter the topic, and the random guesses I just scroll past.  In the Maxwell forum an indepth name discussion thread drifted into some really interesting trivia about Alice Roosevelt, which was odd but fun.  

But yeah - scrolling is the best way to handle that.  :) 

I do wish it worked for Next Unread Topic as that's what appealed to me when...I thought it would. It's how I enjoy reading here.

I also find names an interesting topic to discuss. But when I click on Zach and Whitney or etc and see post after post of just a couple names, it's not much different than getting a reply notification and going to it to see "lol." I brought it up mainly in light of the fashion photo discussion, however, it's not a big deal.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

On 5/14/2019 at 10:20 PM, VineHeart137 said:

Jolie Rae is the name of actress/country singer Jana Kramer's daughter. 

On 5/14/2019 at 11:36 PM, Kailash said:

I think Emery for a girl. 

This name will always remind me of Rose Red! “Emers!”

Didn't we just have a discussion about how posting pics from SM with no real relevance other than just posting a pic for the sake of the posting a pic is actually not a thing we do?

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 3

13 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Didn't we just have a discussion about how posting pics from SM with no real relevance other than just posting a pic for the sake of the posting a pic is actually not a thing we do?

I have a feeling that lots of people won't read the alert at the top of the forum. 

For those who didn't, FJ isn't a Bates family scrapbook. If you post a picture explain why you think we should discuss it. 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Yes.  We know what they look like, if we want to see them we'll hit their SM.

• Upvote 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic