IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 7: I am the Potato Chip of Life

HerNameIsBuffy

@AmazonGrace you almost certainly just put in more effort into figuring out Gwen's devotional than Gwen did. 

Does anyone actually believe that right when B12 was mentioned Gwen suddenly knows lots of people who overdosed on it? 

• Upvote 11

Gwen Ramblin: It is only "alleged" that aspartame causes side effects. Bah humbug.

Spoiler

As you have noticed, we suggest diet sodas and artificially sweetened tea. These non-caloric drinks may be used in place of sugared beverages to help your blood sugar levels drop normally so that you will be able to detect hunger. The artificial sweetener called aspartame has come under fire in past years for allegedly causing side effects in some people.

Science: If you have phenylketonuria, aspartame is very very bad for you. 

As of 2018, evidence does not support a long-term benefit for weight loss or in diabetes.[5][6] Because its breakdown products include phenylalanine, people with the genetic condition phenylketonuria (PKU) must be aware of this as an additional source.[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylketonuria

Spoiler

Aspartame is among the most thoroughly tested and screened food products on the market today. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued approval for aspartame 26 times. The American Council on Science and Health unequivocally endorses its safety.

Aspartame is made up of two amino acids. An amino acid is just one of the smallest units of a protein molecule. Many different amino acids in different combinations make up the proteins you eat. The amino acids in aspartame—phenylalanine and aspartic acid—are found naturally in many foods. For example, if you eat a hamburger patty, you will ingest much more aspartame than you would drink from a two-liter bottle of diet soda. If you believe you get headaches from diet sodas, and if the aspartame/headache theory is correct, then you should get a migraine from one hamburger patty! However, research has shown no such adverse effects, even after repeated double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials.

My T-shirt is made of cotton and thread but if I go buy cotton and thread it doesn't mean I can wear my new T-shirt on the way home. Just because aspartame consists of two amino acids doesn't mean that if you eat those amino acids separately  you ingested aspartame. It's a methyl ester of a dipeptide and even if you don't know what that means you can see chemically it's slightly more complicated than just phenylalanine+aspartic acid= aspartame because somehow the number of elements in the chemical code don't add up.

Aspartame C14H18N2O5

phenylalanine: C9H11NO2

aspartic acid C4H7NO4

Spoiler

One test done at Duke University on people who claimed they experienced aspartame-induced headaches showed the group who took aspartame actually had fewer headaches than the control group who took placebos.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3657889

Can't be sure but I think this may be the study she's referring to and of course it's from 1987 and of course it didn't show that the group who took aspartame actually had fewer headaches. While the percentage cited in the abstract  was lower there was no significant difference.  And it sounds like Gwen didn't understand that the group getting aspartame was the same people as the group  getting placebos.

Science more recently (2018):

We reviewed studies linking neurophysiological symptoms to aspartame usage and conclude that aspartame may be responsible for adverse neurobehavioral health outcomes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28198207

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 10

Gwen: These non-caloric drinks may be used in place of sugared beverages to help your blood sugar levels drop normally so that you will be able to detect hunger.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2395908

here's a study that failed to find an effect on hunger sensations for aspartame.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27956737

here's a study that found that people who drank diet soda for breakfast consumed as many calories during the day as the group who drank sugary drinks because they ate more at lunch.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29659969

In this study they found no effect for aspartame consumption on glycemia, appetite or body weight for adults who were healthy and lean to begin with.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24595225

in this study none of the artificial sweeteners had an effect on the perceptions of hunger of fullness.

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 6

Gwod:  You can never be too rich or too thin.*

AmazonGrace:  I'm going to have to science the shit out of this.**

Carry on.  ?

---------------------------

*Attributed to Wallis Simpson.

**Matt Damon line from The Martian.

• Haha 11
  • Love 3

Today is devoted to defending diet coke, not God, since Gwen seems to have little use for Him. Someone else is going to have to do the science and explain if the aspartame that occurs naturally in a hamburger is the exact same as drinking a diet coke. IMO it would seem like the aspartame that naturally occurs isn't the same as a processed powder made into a soda, but I'm not Gwod. Gwen can't help but slip in that her focus is hunger. 

As you have noticed, we suggest diet sodas and artificially sweetened tea. These non-caloric drinks may be used in place of sugared beverages to help your blood sugar levels drop normally so that you will be able to detect hunger. The artificial sweetener called aspartame has come under fire in past years for allegedly causing side effects in some people.

Aspartame is among the most thoroughly tested and screened food products on the market today. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued approval for aspartame 26 times. The American Council on Science and Health unequivocally endorses its safety.

Aspartame is made up of two amino acids. An amino acid is just one of the smallest units of a protein molecule. Many different amino acids in different combinations make up the proteins you eat. The amino acids in aspartame—phenylalanine and aspartic acid—are found naturally in many foods. For example, if you eat a hamburger patty, you will ingest much more aspartame than you would drink from a two-liter bottle of diet soda. If you believe you get headaches from diet sodas, and if the aspartame/headache theory is correct, then you should get a migraine from one hamburger patty! However, research has shown no such adverse effects, even after repeated double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trials. One test done at Duke University on people who claimed they experienced aspartame-induced headaches showed the group who took aspartame actually had fewer headaches than the control group who took placebos.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

3 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Today is devoted to defending diet coke, not God, since Gwen seems to have little use for Him. Someone else is going to have to do the science and explain if the aspartame that occurs naturally in a hamburger is the exact same as drinking a diet coke. IMO it would seem like the aspartame that naturally occurs isn't the same as a processed powder made into a soda, but I'm not Gwod. Gwen can't help but slip in that her focus is hunger. 

So let me get this straight.  The migraines I get from diet soda are imaginary?  And when I opt for water instead of diet coke that's a bad thing?

• Upvote 1
  • Love 9

@AmazonGrace, I was chatting with a guy who’s a pediatrician and mentioned a college classmate who was a PKU baby and was perfectly healthy due to a special childhood diet and medical care. “She’s really beautiful,” I said.

“And blonde and blue-eyed,” he said. 

“Wow—do you know her?”

”Nah—all PKU people are.”

Whoa.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1
  • WTF 1
  • Love 1

I think Gwod needs to shut up about things she knows nothing about:  soil nutrients, fertilizer, aspartame, B12 consumption, the Bible,  Jesus, God, thinness = godliness, proper nutrition, junk food = healthy food, vitamins, etc. , etc, etc.

Oh gee, it seems Gwod know nothing, about... well... everything.

She should just shut up completely

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 2

Not only do Gwen's devotionals suck, you might get a kick out of today's Remnant 'service'.

Today Gwen was very lazy.  She literally got up on stage for a couple minutes and introduced a video of one of her prior 'sermons'.  The tech guys hit play for the video screens and Gwen went to sit back down in the front row.  She literally sat there for about 30 minutes while playing a video of her doing a prior year's service.

Now it's not at all uncommon for a Remnant 'service' to be a video of a prior 'service'.  Lots of times when Gwen is on her luxurious vacations, they will play live music and then play a prior recording of Gwen giving the 'sermon'.  It's either that, or the entire 'sermon' is various Remnant members giving their testimonies on how Gwen has changed their lives and how much weight they lost.  But at least Gwen is out of town during those times.  But this was the first I saw her play a video while she was sitting there the whole time.

It was graduation weekend where the service was dedicated to/intended for the high school and college graduates.  But Gwen can't honor the graduates enough to get up in front of her teleprompter and at least repeat a prior 'sermon' live.  Almost like: "Good job graduates, in honor of your achievements, here's a video you can watch of me because I don't feel like talking today.  The message I gave back then was well received, so let's just watch that again."

And, on yea, her son Michael is still no where to be found while his wife and kids continue to sit in the front row with Gwen and Joe.  I lost count how many times he's been AWOL.  Something is definitely amiss with Gwen's precious son Michael.  Gwen will try to entice him back like before, but maybe this time things are different?   

• Upvote 6
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 3

Not entirely OT: I just went to a diner and had an omelet, home fries, and toast, and happily ate the whole shebang. And I put sugar in my tea. Suck it, Gwen.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Aspartame is an artificial sweetener. There is no naturally occurring aspartame in hamburgers or anywhere. The only way to find aspartame in food is if humans put it there.

The only way to find Gwen is to look for stupid.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 15

I bet Gwen hasn't had a whole hamburger in decades. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Biblical Fritos and aspartame hamburgers. Pretty soon we'll have a whole menu. The best shit comes out of her mouth when she tries to sound smart. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 12

I agree something might be up with precious Michael.

It's also possible Gwod has banned him until he loses weight and is acceptably thin again.  I seem to remember one of the former FRers mentioning that happened before, in addition to Michael pulling away on his own.  My hunch is that Michael, despite being part of RF, isn't really all in, but isn't ready to be all out ... yet.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, WorseThan1Thinks said:

her son Michael is still no where to be found while his wife and kids continue to sit in the front row with Gwen and Joe.  I lost count how many times he's been AWOL.

Based on a photo that was posted not long ago of Michael, I am picturing him no longer waiting for the growl, but waiting for the growler.*   This happens to also be one of my favorite activities.   :text-givemebeer:

*Definition of growler for those of you who are not hanging out at bars as much as I do:

A growler (/ˈɡraʊlər/) is a glass, ceramic, plastic, or stainless steel jug used to transport draft beer in the United States, Canada, Australia, Brazil and other countries. They are commonly sold at breweries and brewpubs as a means to sell take-out craft beer. Rarely, beers are bottled in growlers for retail sale.

Edited by CTRLZero
Posting while tipsy, apparently.
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I agree something might be up with precious Michael.

It's also possible Gwod has banned him until he loses weight and is acceptably thin again.  I seem to remember one of the former FRers mentioning that happened before, in addition to Michael pulling away on his own.  My hunch is that Michael, despite being part of RF, isn't really all in, but isn't ready to be all out ... yet.

Maybe Michael is connecting with his father these days. We know Gwen's ex was never really a part of RF. Perhaps he's starting to see the light but can't completely walk away because his wife and children are still active in the church.

• Upvote 8

34 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

but can't completely walk away because his wife and children are still active in the church.

This unfortunately is a common element within RF. You’d be surprised at the number of husbands who stay in it only keep the “peace”.

Edited by RFSurvivor_2
Grammar
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

This unfortunately is a common element within RF. You’d be surprised at the number of husbands who stay in to keep the “peace”.

I'm assuming they don't follow the man as the headship thing then?  Spiritual head of the family and all that?

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm assuming they don't follow the man as the headship thing then?  Spiritual head of the family and all that?

I bet lots of the fundie wives and mothers we follow have husbands who are “headships” in name only: They let their wives run with the whole ultraconservative homemaker thing as long as it keeps them off their backs. Case in point: Ken Alexander The orthodontic consultant and incest apologist.

• Upvote 11

9 minutes ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

This unfortunately is a common element within RF. You’d be surprised at the number of husbands who stay in to keep the “peace”.

Yeah his wife seems to be “all in.” So his mom, sister, and wife are all in. How can you leave? 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Hane said:

I bet lots of the fundie wives and mothers we follow have husbands who are “headships” in name only: They let their wives run with the whole ultraconservative homemaker thing as long as it keeps them off their backs. Case in point: Ken Alexander The orthodontic consultant and incest apologist.

This is it @HerNameIsBuffy@Hane hit the nail on the head. I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Edited by RFSurvivor_2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

*Definition of growler for those of you who are not hanging out at bars as much as I do:

A growler (/ˈɡraʊlər/) is a glass, ceramic, plastic, or stainless steel jug used to transport draft beer in the United States, Canada, Australia, Brazil and other countries. They are commonly sold at breweries and brewpubs as a means to sell take-out craft beer. Rarely, beers are bottled in growlers for retail sale.

Errrmmm... in parts of Ireland a "growler" is a lady's delicate area ? ??

(Used particularly in the context of it being a hairy growler...sorry for the TMI)

Now that's a whole new context for what Michael is waiting for  ?

• Haha 16
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

This is it @HerNameIsBuffy@Hane hit the nail on the head. I couldn’t have said it better. 

Yeah, I've long said Michelle wears the pants in the Duggar family in every way but literal.  But seems RF doesn't even keep up the facade.  Guess it can't as they openly worship and follow a woman.

Maxwells being the exception.  I wonder if they'd be fundy at all if Teri called the shots.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Hello all! I have been fascinated by Gwen for over 20 years ??? At first, I was an avid Weigh Down Dieter (although I gained 5 lbs, go figure) and listened to the cassette tapes with friends in high school. I was ecstatic when Rise Above came out when I was a senior in h.s.  Years later I searched for Gwen and was surprised to see what all had gone down with her starting her own church. I’ll admit, I kinda fell back into the whole WD diet thing, but just could NOT get into the whole God-wants-you-to-be-thin-for-Him aspect of it. Still, it’s truly like watching a train wreck waiting to happen. I’m so glad I found FJ and these threads. 

I’m very interested in the former/current RF’ers and their experiences. ?

• Upvote 12
  • Rufus Bless 1

12 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

here's a study that found that people who drank diet soda for breakfast

That just sounds so disgusting to me. Not going to say my diet is the healthiest on the planet - like a large number of westerners I consume too much meat and bread and not enough vegetables - but I do draw the line at fizzy drinks for breakfast (unless it's aspirin. Maybe.)

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yeah his wife seems to be “all in.” So his mom, sister, and wife are all in. How can you leave? 

Cults suck. I hope he can break out, and take his kids and sister too. Not much hope for his mother.

8 hours ago, Hane said:

@AmazonGrace, I was chatting with a guy who’s a pediatrician and mentioned a college classmate who was a PKU baby and was perfectly healthy due to a special childhood diet and medical care. “She’s really beautiful,” I said.

“And blonde and blue-eyed,” he said. 

“Wow—do you know her?”

”Nah—all PKU people are.”

Whoa.

So I got curious and went to look up population frequencies of PKU mutation. About 1 in 10,000 for Caucasians (and stably maintained which is surprising) but what I found really interesting was this sentence from the Genetics Home Reference part of the NIH site:

"Children with classic PKU tend to have lighter skin and hair than unaffected family members and are also likely to have skin disorders such as eczema."

Classic PKU is the severe form with brain damage and resulting intellectual disability. So it seems that his information is kind of correct, but a bit outdated now that we know about non-severe forms of the disease, and also about founder mutations in non-Caucasian populations.

(And now I'm really curious as to why a protein function eliminating mutation in that gene would have those phenotypic effects. Genetics is a bottemless rabbithole, I swear.)

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

• Curious locked this topic