IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 7: I am the Potato Chip of Life

HerNameIsBuffy

32 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I imagine they are just copying sorority culture. Because these girls would never be allowed to join an actual sorority in college. Rush means you are trying to be accepted into the sorority. The RF sorority I guess...

So its like an in-house love bombing. Makes sense. I wonder how the choose the recipient.

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

So its like an in-house love bombing. Makes sense. I wonder how the choose the recipient.

Probably by how high up their family is in thecult. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

I do want to disclaim that despite Gwen, leadership and company being there for these families, the methods of dealing with these extreme cases of sickness varies. On one end of the spectrum, I have witnessed the individuals and families of the afflicted be open and honest about it. On the other end, some people has/was/is kept it very secretive. I wouldn’t doubt it for second that Gwen has had a hand in either of the decisions to go public or not. I also wouldn’t put it past her to perform her usual mental and emotional gymnastics on the afflicted and their families. I cannot stat this as fact but given her behavior, who she his, her track record, I would say it’s safe to make assumption and treat it as fact.

***Disclose, not disclaim. It’s been a long day for me already. 

• Upvote 1

Holy shit! I don't usually read Gwen threads, although I know a perfectionist who became a long-distance Remnanter, but I just skimmed a couple pages and recognized Daniel Sindell. Our parents were friends in another life. That makes me sad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 3

I'm glad to hear that Gwen and RF seem to handle cancer seriously and are supportive to the families. I know that many churches feel like a sort of extended family to many members. I'm also glad that they financially help out. That's normal, and kind, and what most people expect of a church and it's leaders. Good job on this one thing, Gwen!

I wonder how they are able to be reasonably normal and empathetic about something like that, while still telling members who are overweight that they can't attend services until they've lost the weight? There's obviously a part of Gwen that is able to be kind and understanding, but it seems her obsession with food and thinness overrides that part more often than not. If it was just Gwen involved, I'd hope that she got some counseling and treatment. But it's not - her daughter looks like a walking skeleton, she has a church full of people (including youth and children) being taught to only nibble a few bites of food, and is raking in the cash while raising herself up as a prophetess. She's actively harming others and profiting from it. 

• Upvote 8

Well, you know how it is... Just because you're a money grabbing  leader of an eating disorder cult who thinks God only loves skinny people, it doesn't mean you have to be completely horrible in every other way as well. 

But it certainly helps.

• Upvote 14

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Well, you know how it is... Just because you're a money grabbing  leader of an eating disorder cult who thinks God only loves skinny people, it doesn't mean you have to be completely horrible in every other way as well. 

But it certainly helps.

Indeed. The rose tinted glass inevitability fades over time. 

Edited by RFSurvivor_2
  • Upvote 1

Tiffani Day's daughter Heartlee from the video is the one she constantly posts about on FB.  The youngest daughter, briefly seen in the video, is the one Tiff never seems to mention.  Both girls have names that end in -lee.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

I've been so pleasantly happy to see the support of the young daughter with cancer over the past year or so...

... but the skeptical and pessimistic side of me says "Yeah, but if MY child got cancer, you wouldn't be praising my husband and I for how we're giving it all to God, you'd be saying 'Well, that's why you need to be in the one true church...'"

The hypocrisy is astounding. Again, I truly am so glad to see a young family getting support while going through an incredibly difficult time, but it's like if it's someone Gwen looks kindly upon, then it's a just test... if it's someone Gwen doesn't look kindly upon, then it's punishment.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

Hello: I have no idea who Gwen Shamblin is, and I've never been in this section of FJ before, but just wanted to say to whoever created the topic name: Seeing "I am the Potato Chip of Life" in the topic list has been making me smile for days now. ? Thanks for the daily day-brightener. Carry on!

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, sajetime said:

Awkward.

Daniel Sindell’s family (Holbrooks/Sindells) is in Remnant.

Daniel was previously married to a daughter of the Peters — Remnant leaders. But they lived as “prodigals” out in California. They’ve divorced and now Daniel has returned to Remnant; he’s  32.

The Voorhis gal — from another respected Remnant family— he’s marrying is only 25. Ordinarily that’s not a huge age difference, but there is a big gap in experience here; she’s a sheltered Remnant girl. And she’s the sister-in-law of Daniel’s sister, Becki.

This has to be somewhat uncomfortable for the Peters, Sindell/Holbrook’s and the Voorhis. 

I just can’t wait to read his testimony on the Remnant Fellowship Weddings Page!

38BB362F-C63F-4A21-88FB-448F3BA67EC9.jpeg

So if his ex wife and new wife are both from high remnant families... is he from a high family too? 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is a good way to suck in the tweens and teens. They make RF seems so fun and exciting. It’s a smart move I admit. How could a girl resist something like this?

It’s actually a newer concept. I want to say they started it about 3-4 years ago. From my understanding, when the kid is 13, they get “rushed” and become an official member of the youth group. This is also tied to being assigned a youth counselor I think.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

15 minutes ago, RFsurvivor said:

It’s actually a newer concept. I want to say they started it about 3-4 years ago. From my understanding, when the kid is 13, they get “rushed” and become an official member of the youth group. This is also tied to being assigned a youth counselor I think.

This.

Remnant Fellowship (Gwen and her leadership primarily) frequently criticizes aspects of various cultures (religious and non religious) outside their own belief system. They then take the cultural elements of said “worldly” cultures (that they criticize) and adapt them into their own culture. They then masquerade it as an “original holy” idea, given by god through Gwen and/or the “Saints”.

Edited by RFSurvivor_2
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

Just now, RFSurvivor_2 said:

This.

Remnant Fellowship frequently criticizes various cultures (religious and non religious) outside their own belief. They also take cultural elements of said “worldly” cultures and adapt them into their own culture. They then take these elements of “worldly” culture(s) and masquerade it as an “original holy” idea, given by god through Gwen. 

Pshhh. Please...

ohhh on that topic. they banned us from going to high school prom because we are not a part of the world. Instead they had a Remnant Prom! Then the next year, they made a bunch of people pair off with non-public school teens to go to the local prom. They wanted us to have as many RF teens at the prom to make a statement hence the bringing non-public school teens. I want to say that the "statement" was to prove that RF members weren't weird since the previous year no RFer attended the prom...yeah not a cult...

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, OperationSunshine said:

So if his ex wife and new wife are both from high remnant families... is he from a high family too? 

Yes, his family is one that is highly regarded. And he (EDITED! Factual error!!!) is now marrying into a highly regarded family, after divorcing a girl from a leadership family.

All three families (except for the divorced daughter who has not returned to the church) are Remnant pillars. That must be a bit weird. (Not to mention, with one failed union behind him, he’s marrying his sister’s husband’s little sister. )

Everyone will outwardly say how great it is — how wonderful that he has joined Remnant Fellowship and is marrying another Remnant member and pretend his old life never happened. But of course, it happened and it involves the child of leaders. 

They’re very good at acting as if people never had prior marriages and they’ve had to do it a lot lately:

Gwen Shamblin Lara. Who divorced her husband of 40 years ... only to be engaged to Joe Lara when the ink wasn’t quite dry.

The girl (now remarried and expecting) whose first husband - a son of a leader - was more interested in men. (And, for the record, said leader is divorced and remarried.)

The guy from Spain who who lost a ton of weight and gained a wife in the states — only to lose the wife, regain a lot of weight and gain a new wife.

So much for the one true church and its healed relationships and godly covenant marriages.

Edited by sajetime
Factual error!
  • Upvote 6

13 hours ago, DaisyD said:

I forgot to ask what happens when one of the "Saints" gets cancer? If it's one of the royal family? I've seen them talk about things like that being a curse from God. Would they deny everything including treatment? Or would they get treatment and sweep it under the rug? I don't think Elizabeth has cancer, it just got me thinking. 

There were a good few posts after your questions about various Remnant members fighting cancer and how Remnant deals those issues.  The comments were spot on about sometimes it's just a test for a dear saint and sometimes it's a curse for not going all in.  Gwen or leaders get to decide which it is.

I just wanted to add that, yea, Remnant isn't like the Jehovah Witnesses and their view on blood transfusions.  In general, they aren't against seeking professional medical attention for typical physical aliments.

But there are 2 very important exceptions which Remnant does indeed turn away from.  They are strongly against any kind of medicine for mental type of conditions (ADD, ADHD, anxiety meds, etc).  They literally mock those type of drugs.  All the poor kids in Remnant that legitimately need those types of meds are having their medical needs neglected.  Anywhere on the autism spectrum? - you're screwed when it comes to the medicine you need.  This is very real.  They will say that's not the case.  They lie.

Also, they are against any and all professional counseling outside of Remnant.  They have their own 'counseling' with various 'leaders' (who have no experience in professional counseling), but there is absolutely no way they would allow/suggest anyone go to professional counseling outside of the walls of Remnant.

So a broken leg, they give a thumbs up on seeing a doctor.  Can't concentrate in school, you're out of luck.  Mental health issue, you're out of luck.  Broken heart/soul (of which there are many in Remnant), go talk Ted Anger or some other leader who just say things like "get out of your self", "get those last 5 pound off" and other useless/dangerous advice for someone who needs professional help. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 3
  • Thank You 7

1 hour ago, sajetime said:

Yes, his family is one that is highly regarded. And he — who left for years —is back and now marrying into a highly regarded family, after divorcing a girl from a leadership family.

All three families (except for the divorced daughter who has not returned to the church) are Remnant pillars. That must be a bit weird. (Not to mention, with one failed union behind him, he’s marrying his sister’s husband’s little sister. )

Everyone will outwardly say how great it is — how wonderful that this prodigal returned to Remnant Fellowship and is marrying another Remnant member and pretend his old life never happened. But of course, it happened and it involves the child of leaders. 

They’re very good at acting as if people never had prior marriages and they’ve had to do it a lot lately:

Gwen Shamblin Lara. Who divorced her husband of 40 years ... only to be engaged to Joe Lara when the ink wasn’t quite dry.

The girl (now remarried and expecting) whose first husband - a son of a leader - was more interested in men. (And, for the record, said leader is divorced and remarried.)

The guy from Spain who who lost a ton of weight and gained a wife in the states — only to lose the wife, regain a lot of weight and gain a new wife.

So much for the one true church and its healed relationships and godly covenant marriages.

I didn't think he had ever been involved... I knew he wasn't openly hostile against RF before, but I was under the impression he hadn't joined his parents and siblings in remnant until recently. 

I can't wait to hear how all this gets spun in the testimonies.

Edited by OperationSunshine
  • Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, OperationSunshine said:

I didn't think he had ever been involved... I knew he wasn't openly hostile against RF before, but I was under the impression he hadn't joined his parents and siblings in remnant until recently. 

I can't wait to hear how all this gets spun in the testimonies.

I stand corrected. Thanks!

• Thank You 2

19 minutes ago, sajetime said:

I stand corrected. Thanks!

Oh I might be wrong! RF relationships can get pretty confusing!! Not everyone I know is still in, so sometimes the things I hear are outdated too.

• Thank You 2

8 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

Hello: I have no idea who Gwen Shamblin is, and I've never been in this section of FJ before, but just wanted to say to whoever created the topic name: Seeing "I am the Potato Chip of Life" in the topic list has been making me smile for days now. ? Thanks for the daily day-brightener. Carry on!

It makes me giggle too. Even more when followed by Bro Gary's nouvelle cuisine..

• Haha 5

Today in Eating Disorder Daily: If you love God you gotta hate food. If you eat God knows you're a bad person: 

Spoiler

We love the master that we obey. And we obey the master we love. We cannot love both God and food. Either we will hate the one and love the other or we will love the one and hate the other. Do not kid yourself—you cannot be in love with God if you are in love with food! And do not expect God to believe that you are in love with Him at the same time you are in love with food. He knows better.

But, you can make the transfer. Even though the thought and smell of food is what got me out of the bed in the morning years ago—now all my senses are given over to God. I dress for Him. I can sense (even though I do not see Him) when He is near. I can tell when He is calling me to read His Word. All senses are alive for Him. One WeighDown participant told me that she does not call it “coincidence” anymore, but “God-incidence!”

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 5

19 hours ago, sajetime said:

It’s Remnant Fellowship Youth Group Rush time. This is the Days’ daughter.  And lots of streamers and screaming. My favorite part is watching one of the “helpers” and Gwen Shamblin’s granddaughter Grace sitting in the Mercedes Sprinter and texting most of the time while others do the work.

That’s the dumbest shit I’ve ever seen. ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

And do not expect God to believe that you are in love with Him at the same time you are in love with food. He knows better.

Or maybe, just maybe. The God who created food and created humans to need food is cool with you waking up and wanting to eat. 

And Gwen Shamblin Lara, do not expect us to believe that you aren't deeply in love with all your material possessions. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 2

The Rush thing is genius though... think about it. What do young girls want more than anything? To be accepted and fit in. So getting "rushed" makes them feel that not only are they in the group, but that the group is SUPER EXCITED to welcome them in. Once they're in there's a sense of ownership because the group did something big for them (in their minds) and it adds a sense of obligation. Then, even if they start to question what's going on in the group, they feel obligated to stay because even if these people are wrong, they're so nice and they did something so nice for her and they really love her. I've talked to a few members who admit that there's a lot wrong about what Gwen teaches, but they feel obligated to stay because the group has done a lot for them. It makes me so sad... to compromise theological integrity because it's a nice group of people...

I remember in high school we did what we called "kidnappings" for our dance group. We contacted parents in advance and came at, like, 4 in the morning to get all the freshmen... then we took them out to breakfast. It was our way of welcoming them and getting to know them and letting them get to know us.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

Replace food with possessions in that devotional Gwen Shamblin Lara, and tell me if you're right with God. 

She lists all sorts of vices all the time, but never the accumulation of wealth. Does she ever even host new members like the rest of her Remnant Fellowship flock does? Does she help take care of their every need the way the others do? She's the one making the money off them. What a hypocrite. 

Edited by DaisyD
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

• Curious locked this topic