• Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
HerNameIsBuffy

Gwen Shamblin 7: I am the Potato Chip of Life

Briefly

I just now finished this thread.  The so called advice about food allergies is so dangerous.  My daughter has quite a few food allergies and I have several myself.  Ours aren't necessarily going to cause anaphylectic shock (I can not spell that word) but we are probably in the minority on that.  She keeps getting more and more dangerous.  That type of allergy can be life-threatening.  I feel like her last sentence was just a disclaimer in the sense of being able to say that she is not responsible if someone does have a severe reaction.

Giddy
OperationSunshine
12 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

We love Tim in this house, we have all his DVDs but one.  I know them all by heart and still LOL every time.  

Here's another one for Gwen:

We are HUGE Tim Hawkins fans over here! We went to see him live and my make-up was destroyed because I was crying from laughing so hard the whole time!!

9 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

My son's anaphylactic milk allergy  was cured when he was ten. He was given tiny drops of diluted milk daily and when he could tolerate that the dosage was increased. But the doctor said it doesn't work with all allergies. 

I had a bunch of environmental allergies (39 of the 40 they tested for, lol) and this is pretty much the treatment they gave me. I got 4 shots of a week or purified forms of everything I'm allergic to. I spent months with a huge welt on each arm (allergic reaction to the antigen)... but after about 4 years I treatment, I'm nearly 100% allergy free. It was such an incredible blessing!

Waffle Time
Hane

@AmazonGrace, I bow before you! “I drink a little Amaretto and a can/Of Diet Coke, Diet Coke”—I’m dying here!

Depressed
formergothardite

Today Gwen shares that she doesn't take vitamins or supplements at all. No shit Gwen! We can tell by looking at you that you eat a lot of junk food and take no vitamins! 

Don't worry about vitamins because all that junk food is fortified so you are good. Of course, if you are following Gwen's advice and only eating a tiny bit every 36 hours you aren't going to be getting all you nutrients or calories, but Gwen doesn't address that. 

I personally think some people tend to go overboard taking trending vitamins that are suppose to cure all the things. But if you are eating a steady diet of diet coke and junk food you might need to toss in some vitamins.

Personally, I do not take vitamins or dietary supplements of any kind. When you are allowing your body to call for exactly what it needs, then it does not need to be fed artificial forms of those nutrients. Basically, there is no need to worry about whether or not you are getting vitamins. They are found everywhere—scattered all through foods. Many people eat cereal, toast, and orange juice for breakfast, and for a little insurance, they take a multipurpose vitamin pill. Let us take a look at this breakfast.

A typical cereal nowadays meets the U.S. RDA for vitamins and minerals. The U.S. RDA is a generous estimate of the protein, carbohydrate, fat, and minerals needs of a large, growing, teenage boy, who could possibly need 3,000 to 4,000 calories per day. In other words, these estimated needs would be way over what a grown five- foot, two-inch woman needs. So to even meet 100 percent of the U.S. RDA is overkill for most of our population. God made cows’ milk rich with nutrients. In addition, the government requires that we fortify milk with vitamins A and D, and perhaps some extra calcium, although milk happens to be rich in nutrients to start with. The piece of toast is enriched with niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, and iron. (Bread has been enriched this way since the 1930s.) These nutrients are also in the cereal and milk. The orange juice is high in vitamin C, as is the cereal, and nowadays it might have extra calcium added to it. We now swallow a vitamin that meets the U.S. RDA (again, the needs of a growing teenage boy) and that is breakfast! If we are a five-foot, two-inch female, we might have met our personal nutrient needs by 500 percent or more for some nutrients by 8 a.m.

Pianokeeper
2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Today Gwen shares that she doesn't take vitamins or supplements at all. No shit Gwen! We can tell by looking at you that you eat a lot of junk food and take no vitamins! 

My favorite:  God made cows’ milk rich with nutrients. 

He also made a majority of the global population lactose intolerant, but okay. 

I think what confuses me most about the RF followers is how willing they are to ignore the world outside of the United States.  Japan has one of the world's lowest rates of obesity, and it's not because they adhere to any western religion. In fact, when Japanese families immigrate to the United States, the protective health benefits wane with each generation's acceptance of American eating habits. In other words, it's not genetics, and it's not religion: it's junk food. 

A similar thing happened in Hawaii, where, pre missionary activity, obesity was extremely rare.  Now, it's a serious issue for both the native and newer populations. Again, their native religion was most assuredly not Gwen's or anything like it. How peculiar! How curious!  It's almost like what people eat has an effect on their weight and health (which, to be clear, are not the same thing).

quiversR4hunting
2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Don't worry about vitamins because all that junk food is fortified so you are good. Of course, if you are following Gwen's advice and only eating a tiny bit every 36 hours you aren't going to be getting all you nutrients or calories, but Gwen doesn't address that. 

I personally think some people tend to go overboard taking trending vitamins that are suppose to cure all the things. But if you are eating a steady diet of diet coke and junk food you might need to toss in some vitamins.

<snip> ...If we are a five-foot, two-inch female, we might have met our personal nutrient needs by 500 percent or more for some nutrients by 8 a.m.

First, I would love for her to source her info of "The U.S. RDA is a generous estimate of the protein, carbohydrate, fat, and minerals needs of a large, growing, teenage boy, who could possibly need 3,000 to 4,000 calories per day." I call "pants on fire" on the lying scale. The box of Triscuits in my desk at work says"the % of Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet of 2000 calories." So I am 5'2.5" and 135-140lbs woman. I eat closer to 1500-1800 calories per day so if I want to maintain my weight, I have to eat less of the servings the box says (6 crackers = 120 calories) or eat less of something else (like my 32oz fountain coke from Speed Way...for example). 

Secondly, about the "extra nutrients" in the snipped quote from Gwen. I agree with @formergothardite there are some people that take way too many supplements. If a person, per Gwen, meets the 500% nutrients through vitamins by 8 am, they are just investing in very expensive pee. Because you will pee it out. But the vitamins will not fill the person up with the food they need. Gwen is seriously dangerous and stupid. 

Confession time - I am at the ball fields 4 nights a week and at the track 1 or 2 times per week right now. 2 children are in little league & my eldest is in HS track. Thankfully, when they have home events, the complexes are only 2 miles (country roads) apart so I can see both children compete on the same night. Because I don't get home until 5 pm (or 4:30 if I take a short lunch to make the start of the track meet, my daughter runs 1st event and 2nd to last event), I usually grab a quick protein granola bar or carrots or both and if I forget then I grab something at the concession stand. My youngest 2 come home on the bus and they make themselves something for dinner before we rush off. If they have something left over from what they made, I will scarf that down instead of a granola bar.

I tell you all this to set up for last night, I had a sick kid who had student-led parent teacher conferences (4:15), 1 getting out of track practice (4:30) and the youngest needing to be 20 miles away at her game by 5:15. So I didn't eat (but I got everyone where they were supposed to be on time!). I grabbed a peanut m&m pack at the concession stand to ward off the growl. After the game, nothing sounded good so I ate popcorn at home. This morning I am STARVING!! I finally had to run to the store near work to grab a bagel and cream cheese so I can concentrate on work (which I am still not doing because I am writing on FJ). So Gwen saying a couple nibbles every 36 hours - BULL SHIT!! I couldn't go over 12 hours! I needed food! And since I have now had carbs for breakfast, i will make sure I eat my boiled egg, cucumbers and homemade applesauce for lunch so I get some protein, fruit and vegetable. Note to self, prep meals for the week on Sunday during ball/track season...

Depressed
formergothardite
11 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

So Gwen saying a couple nibbles every 36 hours

I'm not sure how the people who do this function. I would be useless in a fairly short amount of time without food.  I wouldn't be surprised if Gwen regularly went 36 hours without eating food. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

Alisamer
7 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I'm not sure how the people who do this function. I would be useless in a fairly short amount of time without food.  I wouldn't be surprised if Gwen regularly went 36 hours without eating food. 

How much DOES Gwen function, though? I mean, she obviously spends a lot of time on hair and makeup, and probably also picking out her clothes for the day. She writes a crappy devotional. But it seems like she spends most of her time sitting around thinking about food, reading the bible, making controlling commands to her congregation, and having her minions do everything for her. She probably eats a few crackers before preaching or officiating weddings, and the remainder of the RF events seem to be rife with FOOD. I'm sure she sneaks a few nibbles at those. I just think it really doesn't take much energy to sit and read, occasionally calling for Tarzan to bring over another diet coke. I'd bet her shopping sprees with God are about the only exercise she gets.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

Depressed
formergothardite
16 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

and probably also picking out her clothes for the day.

How could you forget that God picks her clothing each day! :laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • Love 1

AmazonGrace

God made cows’ milk rich with nutrients. In addition, the government requires that we fortify milk with vitamins A and D, and perhaps some extra calcium, although milk happens to be rich in nutrients to start with.

Furthermore, milk is actually rich with nutrients, and additionally we should perhaps mention  that milk is rich with nutrients.

Incidentally, vitamin B12 deficiency can cause memory problems, and if you don't get enough B12 it might cause memory problems.

Giddy
OperationSunshine
4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

They DON'T function... at least not those that are following it that strictly. One person we know and love struggles with memory loss, being lightheaded, and can't concentrate. We tried to point out that it's because she barely eats, but she insists we're wrong. At least this person DOES try to eat healthy foods, even if I wouldn't call it a balanced diet at all.

CTRLZero
4 hours ago, Alisamer said:

She probably eats a few crackers before preaching or officiating weddings, and the remainder of the RF events seem to be rife with FOOD. I'm sure she sneaks a few nibbles at those.

Although she obviously doesn't eat much, because she looks like skin and bones, I also have a snarky suspicion she sneaks a snack here and there.  In my most cynical moments, I suspect her of having snack packets (like the ones you get on airplanes) in her hair, and she plucks them out as needed.  I wonder if Elizabeth is experiencing brain fog difficulties like Gwen seems to have.

throwaway9988

I sang I am the chip of life in the car today during my morning commute:bananna-demon:  it's been stuck in my head i can't help it

Satisfied
HerNameIsBuffy
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

suspect her of having snack packets (like the ones you get on airplanes) in her hair,

Congrats - you’ve put me off food!

5 hours ago, formergothardite said:

How could you forget that God picks her clothing each day! :laughing-jumpingpurple:

Can someone with better connections to Him than I suggest that perhaps there are more pressing matters to which he can turn His attention?

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy

Happy
sajetime

Is Ginger Downs someone from Free Jinger? Because she’s my hero. Today during Live with Gwod & Schmo ...

A0DC5C58-F8C9-40A4-8246-3DBB8E4E0F7B.jpeg

18FFCBB4-2132-4C85-AC59-29A114E27A9F.jpeg

throwaway9988
Posted (edited)

Gwen Shamblin's eyes often look asymmetric and droopy lately.  One eye was always a little squintier than the other, but lately the disparity seems more pronounced, especially in Sajetime's screenshots.  Maybe it's just the bad makeup or she got a bad Botox job (did Joe give her a referral?) Her face looks like it is slowly putrefying under too much makeup :no:

grosscranialnervepalsy.png

Edited by throwaway9988

Briefly
2 hours ago, throwaway9988 said:

Gwen Shamblin's eyes often look asymmetric and droopy lately.  One eye was always a little squintier than the other, but lately the disparity seems more pronounced, especially in Sajetime's screenshots.  Maybe it's just the bad makeup or she got a bad Botox job (did Joe give her a referral?) Her face looks like it is slowly putrefying under too much makeup :no:

grosscranialnervepalsy.png

The way you described her face (which is right on) makes me think of the Wicked Witch of the West.  She's melting, melting!

23 hours ago, OperationSunshine said:

We are HUGE Tim Hawkins fans over here! We went to see him live and my make-up was destroyed because I was crying from laughing so hard the whole time!!

I had a bunch of environmental allergies (39 of the 40 they tested for, lol) and this is pretty much the treatment they gave me. I got 4 shots of a week or purified forms of everything I'm allergic to. I spent months with a huge welt on each arm (allergic reaction to the antigen)... but after about 4 years I treatment, I'm nearly 100% allergy free. It was such an incredible blessing!

My daughter was allergy tested when she was very young, before Kindergarten age I think.  She had 4 or 5 years of allergy shots and is now non-reactive to just about everything that she was originally allergic to.  Her doctor said she would probably do well because of her age, but she actually had one of the almost-never-happen results because she improved so much.

Giddy
OperationSunshine
1 hour ago, Briefly said:

The way you described her face (which is right on) makes me think of the Wicked Witch of the West.  She's melting, melting!

My daughter was allergy tested when she was very young, before Kindergarten age I think.  She had 4 or 5 years of allergy shots and is now non-reactive to just about everything that she was originally allergic to.  Her doctor said she would probably do well because of her age, but she actually had one of the almost-never-happen results because she improved so much.

When I told my husband about the treatment he thought it was a joke, partially because of the cost because insurance wouldn't cover a dime... He now tells everyone who will listen because it literally changed my life! I'm so glad your daughter has such amazing results! 

Satisfied
church_of_dog

Just catching up with the thread change, and wanted to offer up this.  

From the day we arrive on the planet
And blinking, step into the kitchen
There's more to be eaten than can ever be eaten
More to do than can ever be done
Some say eat or be eaten
Some say live and let live
But all are agreed as they join the line at the drive-thru
You can never eat just one
In the potato chip of life
It's the wheel of cheddar cheez-its
It's the leap of licorice
It's the band of gummy bears
Till we find our place
In the Pringles tube rolling
In the potato chip, the crisp of life
Some of us crunch on the Fritos
And some of us lick the Ruffles
And some of us go for sour cream and onion
And some have to live with the heartburn
There's far too much owned by Frito-Lay
More flavors than can ever be tasted (Canada has ketchup!)
But the diet Pepsi pouring from the polyethylene #4
Keeps grande and venti on the endless diet cycle
In the potato chip of life
It's the fortune cookie of fortune
It's the Fritos of faith
It's the kettle chips of hope
Till we find our place
In the Pringles tube rolling
In the potato chip, the crisp of life

Depressed
formergothardite

Gwen is trying to cover her ass in this post. She wants you to take her advice on vitamins but she throws in to make sure to follow your doctor's advice.

Some people argue that vitamins (natural or synthetic) or herbs are necessary for good health because the soil is depleted. This is not true. When soil is depleted, it makes a smaller carrot than it would if it were fertile. If you have two carrots—one from depleted soil and one from fertile soil—the two carrots are the same chemically, and thus have the same nutrients. Fertile soil would produce larger and more carrots. If the soil were totally depleted, a carrot could not be made. A cow grazing in a less fertile field will make less milk. But milk is milk all across the country. Primarily, fertilizing increases volume.

Some individuals have prescriptions for vitamins because they have special conditions—usually malabsorption syndromes. Please check with your physician. There is a need, however, to watch out for overdosing on vitamins. Taking frequent, large doses of vitamins is not natural, and since we are the first generation to do this, all of the bad side effects are not yet known. I have had people who I counseled who had peripheral numbness (of their hands and feet). The physicians diagnosed it as 10 times the normal amount of vitamin B12 in the bloodstream from taking prenatal vitamins for years. Overdosing in small amounts over time could be very bad for you. My suggestion is to slowly come back down off this overdosing under a physician’s monitoring. You will feel so much better and save money as well.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

AmazonGrace

Me, yesterday:

B12 deficiency is bad for you.

Gwen, today: Too much B12 will kill you.

You think she reads here?

Happy
RFSurvivor_2
17 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

Me, yesterday:

B12 deficiency is bad for you.

Gwen, today: Too much B12 will kill you.

You think she reads here?

Quick to read yet slow to comprehend, apparently.

AmazonGrace
Posted (edited)

Her point is sort of rambling again. I get it she wants to get across that taking vitamins from a bottle is bad. But the fertilization thing seems somewhat irrelevant. How many people take vitamins because they think soil is depleted? I don't know any. It would make sense if you grow all your food yourself  on land that gives small crops but most of the time when I buy groceries I don't even know where it grew, let alone what to think of the soil quality there.

Anyway I looked it up and there's an article from 1956 that states,

From a review of the experimental evidence, however, it was concluded that the principal effect of soil improvement, in terms of human health, was to increase the yield of a given food crop rather than to enhance its nutritional quality.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/322544

Apparently 1956 is not the last word on the topic, however. Not disputing that fertilization increases yield but this article from  2008 says it also changes nutritional quality.

In this review paper, we discussed the effects of fertilization and other agronomic measures on the nutritional quality of cereal, oilseed and protein crops, tuberplants and vegetables. Research indicates that application of N, P, K and S fertilizers generally increases crop yield as well as nutritional quality. For example, fertilizer increased protein concentration in cereals and pulses,oil concentration in oilseed crops, starch concentration in tubers, and concentration of essential amino acids and vitamins in vegetables.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/jsfa.3084

Mayo clinic regarding B12 vitamin:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-vitamin-b12/art-20363663

When taken at appropriate doses, vitamin B-12 supplements are generally considered safe. While the recommended daily amount of vitamin B-12 for adults is 2.4 micrograms, you can safely take higher doses. Your body absorbs only as much as it needs, and any excess passes through your urine.

High doses of vitamin B-12, such as those used to treat a deficiency, might cause:

Dizziness

Headache

Anxiety

Nausea

Vomiting

Edited by AmazonGrace

AmazonGrace

Gwen: all milk is the same.

Science: lots and lots of factors affecting the nutritional content of milk.

(1988):

Factors affecting milk composition such as breed, genetic variation within breed, health, environment, management practices, and diet are then reviewed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK218193/

2006:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022030206721981

This paper highlights the major advances in controlling milk composition by dietary manipulation and how it influences the entire animal system from practical feeding studies to basic cellular work on mammary tissue metabolism.

1993: Seasonal and regional differences in milk fat composition are measurable, most likely because of local differences in feed supplies.  Milk fat composition can be modified readily by changing the feeding regimen.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022030293775086

AmazonGrace

This  article  half supports Gwen's position that milk is milk everywhere  by saying that the fatty acid composition in processed milk available for American consumers to buy tends to be remarkably similar across regions, but they don't interpret it to mean that vitamins are useless and fertilization does nothing but increase yield. Rather they note that this uniform quality implies  that certain cattle management practices are frequent everywhere,  and  that their samples reflect averages and milk from outlier farms that do things differently would be diluted when the milk from different farms all goes into the big mixer, so to speak.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022030210006740