IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 7: I am the Potato Chip of Life

HerNameIsBuffy

4 hours ago, Alisamer said:

That makes sense, I mean, I think that's what a lot of people who fall for fundamentalism are after. Faith is vague and scary, grace is a difficult concept, all the shades of gray and contradictions confuse them, and they want to go to heaven - guaranteed for sure. Fundamentalism makes that easier, it gives them rules. "Dress like this, do this, don't do that, do what the pastor (or other leader) says, read only this one specific bible translation you can barely understand, and God will be happy with you."

But why is it all about FOOD? People have been simplifying the bible into basically checklists for ages - but Remnant and Gwen Shamblin Lara are so focused on food (and being skinny) that they seem to skip the majority of the bible and it's message! And they don't seem to be following the Old Testament Jewish food restrictions, either. There's nothing in the Bible about licking the salt off a potato chip. (Nothing about Fritos, either, Gwen.) Most Christian denominations use food as a conduit for fellowship - potlucks, dinner on the lawn, Wednesday night suppers, Easter morning breakfast, coffee and cookies after service, my church has coffee set up in our gathering place and one lady brings donuts every sunday. These are times that all ages and groups in the church mix and mingle and enjoy getting to know each other. Jesus did much the same - one of the very last things he did was have a nice supper with his disciples. And seeing how he knew it was his last, I'd be willing to bet he wasn't eating only a bite or two of each thing.

Remnant seems to do almost the same thing with their parties, except after listening to Gwen preach about not eating constantly, I can't imagine they enjoy it all that much. How is it easy to relax and get to know people if you are constantly wondering "was that a growl? Am I really hungry? Is Gwen looking? Should I pick up a whole brownie or cut off a bite or two only?" "Celery has negative calories, right? I can fill up on that?" And what does ANY of that have to do with God?

I think it's because the weight loss thing HAS to keep growing because it's their income and their main source of new members. Very few people join RF without going through WD first. If she finally admitted the truth that while God is against gluttony and sloth, but isn't damning you to hell for finishing your burger, then Weigh Down is no longer relevant and she's lost millions and the potential to brainwash new converts.

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, Alisamer said:

But why is it all about FOOD? 

Given the United States is the most obese nation, Gwen Shamblin Lara has so many potential members/subjects. 

Innocent people with physical and emotional weight issues come in thinking they’re getting a weightloss plan - a Faith-based one at that - and they can check off two of their self-help boxes at once. And you’re told you can eat what you want (later you discover they mean only a thimble full) and you don’t have to exercise. At least that is what appealed to me about Weigh Down. 

But then by the end of the Basics class, she starts her “all or nothing” lingo, and it’s getting clearer this is not just a weight loss  plan. By now, you’ve been “loved” on and engaged with other so-happy members in online classes and signed up for group chats and WhatsApps and then you’re getting invited to events at Remnant Fellowship church, the one true church etc. Members call you and see if you need anything and if they can pray for you. And wow, that’s nicer than people seem at your own church. And before you know it, anything you — a smart person who has good judgment —  thought seemed a little strange becomes normal and honorable  in the company of zealots. And you read crazy things on the Internet, but you think, no, not those “nice” people ... even if you never felt comfortable around them for a second and had never felt more self-conscious in your life in their uneasy Stepford presence.

You wanted desperately to lose weight and now you have so much additional baggage.

Edited by sajetime
  • Upvote 11
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Alisamer said:

But why is it all about FOOD?

Think this quote from her pretty much sums it up:

I am not a savvy businessperson. I’m just a dumb blonde with a genuine heart for God, who found the golden product that everyone wanted.

Question for Remnant Fellowship people who have been able to escape.  Does anyone have a copy of the Remnant Fellowship handbook?  It's referenced in some interviews and articles but I haven't ever seen it online.  

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 4

"

38 minutes ago, ajknowsthings said:

Does anyone have a copy of the Remnant Fellowship handbook?

Ajknowsthings, I'm sure this wasn't what you were referring to when you asked your question but I just couldn't resist...It certainly looks like Gwen Shamblin Lara used a handbook... samples of similar text can be found all over the web.  This is the first one I found when I searched.  Gosh, she follows it to a "T".

"What Are Common Characteristics of Cults?

Posted by Christian Research Institute | Mar 16, 2009 | Countercult Ministry, Perspectives

CHARACTERISTICS OF CULTS- Introduction...

...CHARACTERISTICS OF CULTS- Scripture Twisting
The first mark of a cult is its manipulation of Scripture. The Bible is twisted to fit the leader or group’s interpretation. Private interpretations are forbidden because the leader of the cult is the only one, of course, who is able to understand God’s voice properly. Their teachings distort the historic, orthodox claims of Christianity.

CHARACTERISTICS OF CULTS- Mental Manipulation
Second, many times cults manipulate people’s minds. There is little concern for individual thought and development. Education is usually discouraged while the convert is bombarded with the cult’s doctrine and literature. Members are called to leave or neglect their old family and life-style for a brand new one.

CHARACTERISTICS OF CULTS- Time Manipulation
A third characteristic is the manipulation of time. Since salvation comes exclusively from the teachings of the group, in many cults members spend much of their time working for their organization. Family, school, leisure, sleep, and even food are most often neglected.

CHARACTERISTICS OF CULTS- Manipulating Reality
Finally, cults typically manipulate reality. They tend to have an exclusive “us”/“them” mentality in which society and old associates are all out to get them. Anyone outside of the group is suspect.

If a religious group exhibits one or more of the marks mentioned above, that group may well be considered a cult."

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, ajknowsthings said:

Question for Remnant Fellowship people who have been able to escape.  Does anyone have a copy of the Remnant Fellowship handbook?  It's referenced in some interviews and articles but I haven't ever seen it online.

@RFsurvivor and I had copies of it (back when it used to be a binder) once upon a time. I burned my copy a few years ago. I'm unsure as to what @RFsurvivor did with hers. This handbook at one point was exclusively given to new and existing members. I have seen it circulate around the hands of (former) WD members and individuals who were "curious" about the church (a non mocker). I cannot recall it ever being published online (or to the public for that matter). @throwaway9988, @RemnantSurvivor, do you still have your handbook? Curious...

• Thank You 5

45 minutes ago, Insightful said:

CHARACTERISTICS OF CULTS- Manipulating Reality
Finally, cults typically manipulate reality. They tend to have an exclusive “us”/“them” mentality in which society and old associates are all out to get them. Anyone outside of the group is suspect.

If a religious group exhibits one or more of the marks mentioned above, that group may well be considered a cult."

This is the verse that appears on certificates when kids are “rushed” into the Rennant Fellowship Youth Group. It suggests that Remnant, at a young age, wants to isolate/set apart its youth.

Gwen Shamblin Lara loves to reference that “ekklesia” — the Greek word for “church”  in the Bible — means to “be called out.”

She is held up as God’s chosen messenger/prophetess, and following her makes them special too.

4179D6D5-60C0-407E-B2DA-D47D23F13450.jpeg

Edited by sajetime
  • Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, sajetime said:

This is the verse that appears on certificates when kids are “rushed” into the Rennant Fellowship Youth Group. It suggests that Remnant, at a young age, wants to isolate/set apart its youth.

Gwen Shamblin Lara loves to reference that “ekklesia” — the Greek word for “church”  in the Bible — means to “be called out.”

She is held up as God’s chosen messenger/prophetess, and following her makes them special too.

I just hate how they twist things that CAN be good, into things that are pretentious and unBiblical. 

Growing up, I was taught through my Sunday School and Youth Group that we, as Christians, were called out... we were called to be different than the world around us... a light in the darkness... sharing in the promises and covenants given to Abraham...

... but not because we attended that church specifically... it was because we were followers of Christ. And it didn't make us better than others... it meant that we were called to show them Christ, even if we were persecuted, made fun of, or teased. 1 Peter 2:9 was not meant to create pretentious teens who think they're better than everyone else... 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, sajetime said:

WTF is up with the leading on that verse? The line spacing is atrocious. And why does every church have to use Zapf Chancery font for nearly everything?

My church uses Papyrus and Zapf Chancery a lot, and I am disappointed about that. 

Gwen - get a better designer, or a real designer. And let them eat before they work so they're not distracted by the growl. You can afford better than that. 

That is a nice verse, if it's not twisted like how Gwen uses it. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, RFSurvivor_2 said:

@RFsurvivor and I had copies of it (back when it used to be a binder) once upon a time. I burned my copy a few years ago. I'm unsure as to what @RFsurvivor did with hers. This handbook at one point was exclusively given to new and existing members. I have seen it circulate around the hands of (former) WD members and individuals who were "curious" about the church (a non mocker). I cannot recall it ever being published online (or to the public for that matter). @throwaway9988, @RemnantSurvivor, do you still have your handbook? Curious...

I didn't even know a handbook existed. That must have been after my time.  Good thing, too, or my eyes might have rolled right out of my head!

• Upvote 3

A couple of days ago someone asked if Gwen ever mentions Jesus and guess what, today she mentions Jesus twice. 

Spoiler

A Menu of God’s Work…

June 12, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

We have been made into His image, and it says in Ephesians that we were created to be like God:

You, however, did not come to know Christ that way. Surely you heard of him and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:20-24

Put off the old. Put on the new. To get the new, you have to repent. John the Baptist said to repent and make the crooked roads in your heart straight to be able to receive Jesus Christ in your heart. What you are going to eat, your menu for the day, should transform into a menu of God’s work. Start being concerned about God, His business, His Church, His Kingdom, and the hereafter. It is a whole new life that brings blessings and jewels and answered prayers. One focus is on self and one is on God.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 4

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

What you are going to eat, your menu for the day, should transform into a menu of God’s work. Start being concerned about God, His business,His Church, His Kingdom, and the hereafter. It is a whole new life that brings blessings and jewels and answered prayers. One focus is on self and one is on God.

Gwen can turn literally anything into a metaphor for food. 

Also, is there a reason that the "whole new life" brings jewels? Do jewels have another meaning? 

• Upvote 8

Just now, SuperNova said:

Gwen can turn literally anything into a metaphor for food. 

Also, is there a reason that the "whole new life" brings jewels? Do jewels have another meaning? 

Jewels are another name for blessings from God. There’s some scripture she uses for that analogy. 

• Thank You 5

18 minutes ago, RFsurvivor said:

Jewels are another name for blessings from God. There’s some scripture she uses for that analogy. 

That would mean that Gwen really wrote "It is a whole new life that brings blessings and jewels and blessings and answered prayers." 

• Upvote 1

Just now, SuperNova said:

That would mean that Gwen really wrote "It is a whole new life that brings blessings and jewels and blessings and answered prayers." 

It’s not the first time she doesn’t make sense ??‍♀️

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

I really feel horrible for this woman.  This is literally the photographic equivalent of being asked to "step away" because you're not acceptable to the Remnant Fellowship Ideals.  (back right).   Side note, did anyone see that Elizabeth now has her own blog - coming soon.  CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!  :laughing-rofl:

Capture2.JPG

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, RFsurvivor said:

To add, I'm certain the term "jewels" came from this passage - the same passage that Gwen used to name Remnant Fellowship Church. I included both translations because in one, it says "treasured possession" instead of "jewels". 

The church also chose to do up the scroll mentioned in the NIV translation too, and had the original members' last names written on it. I think this scroll was mentioned in a previous thread. When a family left the church, their name would be burned from the scroll.

image.png.b0cff70574bd42c910d1edaa557a72eb.png

image.png.daccbf1dca9fc36468941cb241508f99.png

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

I don’t know about anybody else, but I find it hard to concentrate on God’s business/Church/Kingdom when my stomach is breaking the sound barrier.

• Haha 10

5 hours ago, ajknowsthings said:

I really feel horrible for this woman.  This is literally the photographic equivalent of being asked to "step away" because you're not acceptable to the Remnant Fellowship Ideals.  (back right).   Side note, did anyone see that Elizabeth now has her own blog - coming soon.  CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!  :laughing-rofl:

Capture2.JPG

A blog????? I’m intrigued ??? This is exciting! 

• Upvote 3

So, another young couple is getting married this month. Another quickie wedding — they were just engaged in early March. And she just relocated from New York, according to Remnant News, suggesting their courtship, which began last August, was mostly long-distance.

The oddest thing ... in their totally orchestrated “surprise” engagement video (also, why do they always have to involve Christmas lights?): There is a cake with the WEDDING DATE on it?!  The heck? They just got engaged that very minute and the wedding date had already been cemented in frosting? Before she even said yes?

Such a weird group, y’all.

http://remnantfellowshipweddings.com/vandonsel-jost-wedding/

656785CD-8AEC-43F1-A0A3-A3665A411BC9.png

Edited by sajetime
  • Upvote 3
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 1

Gwen thinks that my first week at Weigh Down was the first time in my life that I ever stopped eating. 

Spoiler

God’s Spirit of Self-Control

June 13, 2019

by Gwen Shamblin Lara

0 Comment

Now that we have turned our face from Egypt, some of you have experienced rising above the pull of this world, the allure of Egypt, the magnetic pull of the refrigerator, or the prison of food. You were presented with the picture of the Thin Eater, or the person who feels no magnetic pull to food. We studied the externals (their behavior), but what in the world are they thinking… feeling? What is their train of thought that they could turn down food? We have been told that we need to turn away from the refrigerator, but just exactly how are we supposed to accomplish this feat? Why are others able to go through the buffet lines and remain in control while we feel like breaking the lines and eating everything in sight? Why do we feel out of control to the point that we avoid social events?

You will need self-control, which is part of the fruit of the Spirit of God. Again, how do you get the Spirit of God? In Acts 5:32, it says plainly… “God gives His Spirit to those who obey Him.”

You have just experienced this to be true. How did you, for the first time in your life, the first week of Weigh Down, stop in the middle of the meal from your favorite restaurant? You obeyed God. You denied what you wanted to do and put God first, so God gave you His Spirit of control.

• Thank You 4

Yes lol. Sounds straight from a video or maybe even one from one of the workbook/journal daily lessons. Maybe god wasnt speaking to the “prophet” this morning so she decided to be inspired from stuff she already wrote years ago XD

Edited by throwaway9988
  • Thank You 5

From the devotional that @AmazonGrace quoted above:

Why are others able to go through the buffet lines and remain in control while we feel like breaking the lines and eating everything in sight? 

The people described in this sentence would be better served at an over-eaters anonymous meeting or counseling than from WD

The question Gwen raises is a big one but it can't be solved by starving yourself. The person must look deep within and figure out why they binge eat all the time. 

You were presented with the picture of the Thin Eater, or the person who feels no magnetic pull to food. 

Again from the devotional above. This is just bullshit.

I would say I qualify as a "thin eater". Right now I am digging into a 2.5oz bag of jays ridges sour cream & onion chips. I totally feel "magnetic pull" to food, sometimes stronger than others (double stuff oreos when I am on period, for example....) but the difference is that sometimes/many times I can restrict how much I eat of my food craving. But I still have a "magnetic pull" to food!

Magnetic pull is a weird description of food. It is a craving or an intense craving. When I have an intense craving I know I had better buy a small thing of that craving before I eat an entire family package of the item. 

• Upvote 7

Now that we have turned our face from Egypt, some of you have experienced rising above the pull of this world, the allure of Egypt, the magnetic pull of the refrigerator, or the prison of food.

So, Egypt is the metaphorical refrigerator of fatty badness.  She really seems fixated on her congregation becoming the Remnant that Ruled Them All.  I'm thinking she originally pictured Brentwood, TN, becoming the next Salt Lake City? 

I'll be interested in reading Elizabeth's blog.  Is the cult leadership transitioning so Gwen can retire eventually?  Maybe this blog is a first step in introducing the new leader.  I'm guessing Gwen wants to keep it in the family.

• Upvote 5

Elizabeth

My name is Elizabeth Shamblin Hannah, and most of you know me as the daughter of Gwen Shamblin Lara, a woman who has changed a hurting world by helping them to find the true love of God.

I feel like this is a bizarre way of introducing yourself.

Hi I'm AmazonGrace and my mom is supercool.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 7

• Curious locked this topic