IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin 7: I am the Potato Chip of Life

HerNameIsBuffy

Happy Mother's Day! do you tell your kids that their IQ will drop if they don't eat breakfast? Right, me neither. No one does.

Spoiler

The lack of a nutrient is highly overemphasized. The only documented cases of true malnutrition (scurvy, beriberi, or pellagra) occur when people are starving—when the food is limited so that even though the human is craving the right foods, the food is unavailable. Examples of this occurred when people spent years in non-motorized ships or during war times when trapped soldiers ran out of a variety of foods. Once they were rescued, the symptoms went away. Early civilization did not have these guidelines, and yet each generation for thousands of years has used God’s biological feedback system, which guides all animals and humans to eat what their body is calling for.

We need to re-examine old wives’ tales and new man-made scientific rules. For example, we tell our children that if they do not eat breakfast, their IQ will drop (never mind that they ate two bowls of cereal before bed and they are simply not hungry). The irony is that overeating makes you sleepy, and that is when intellectual response rates really drop.

The best advice is to monitor how you feel—your energy level. Notice that less food, a variety, and small amounts of alcoholic beverages (if any) makes you feel fantastic as long as you lay down the worry.

I feel obliged to mention that the kids ate two bowls of bread.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 4

I do tell my kids they will be hungry before lunch and not concentrate well. I also don't remember a time where they ate two bowls of cereal before bed, but even if they eat before bed they are hungry in the morning. 

Whenever Gwen talks about kids and food I always remember how she wouldn't let Elizabeth eat when she said she was hungry because Gwen had decided she didn't need food. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I do tell my kids they will be hungry before lunch and not concentrate well.

In my mind that's  a completely different thing since being hungry and distracted is a temporary condition, Gwen's version with the IQ drop is basically telling kids they will become dumber.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

In my mind that's  a completely different thing since being hungry and distracted is a temporary condition, Gwen's version with the IQ drop is basically telling kids they will become dumber.

Yeah - I think that she's completely mangling the advice we got to make sure kids had a decent breakfast on days of placement testing.  I think she got concentration and performance confused with IQ.

• Upvote 9

I grew up in the 70s, during the era of the Four Basic Food Groups(milk, meat, breads/cereals, and fruits/vegetables).  Would this be around the time Gwod got her certification?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

Notice that less food, a variety, and small amounts of alcoholic beverages (if any) makes you feel fantastic as long as you lay down the worry.

At least Gwod continues to include her most important food group.  I personally plan to prevent scurvy by treating myself to a mimosa later today.  Cheers!  ?

• Upvote 10

5 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

The lack of a nutrient is highly overemphasized. The only documented cases of true malnutrition (scurvy, beriberi, or pellagra) occur when people are starving—when the food is limited so that even though the human is craving the right foods, the food is unavailable. 

What color is the sky in Gwen's world? "True" cases of malnutrition exsist even when people aren't starving. Many adults and children have serious nutritional deficiencies because of lack of access to healthy foods. They live off of the cheap junk food that Gwen promotes, like soda and chips, foods that are carb based and give the feeling of fullness. Unlike Gwen, some people may be craving the "right foods" and they still have to eat garbage because that's all they can afford. Meanwhile Gwen sits in a mansion crammed full of expensive things and actively chooses to starve herself.

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

Most American breakfast foods are actually dessert. I don't have children but I do have kids during the summer (visiting nieces and nephews) and I tell them to eat breakfast or they will be crabby. I generally serve scrambled eggs and fruit with Canadian bacon or some other breakfast meat. I don't think I have bought cereal in 10+ years. We do have homemade waffles once per week.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

1 minute ago, Kelsey said:

I don't think I have bought cereal in 10+ years. We do have homemade waffles once per week.

Cereals don't keep my kids full. But Gwen has such warped ideas on nutrition that I can see her thinking a tiny bowl of Lucky Charms is all a kid needs. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Kelsey said:

Most American breakfast foods are actually dessert.

Confession time:  One of my favorite "breakfast foods" as a kid was Pop-Tarts. ?  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 7

I'd say she's been reading here again. We've discussed the lack of actual nutrition in what little she eats or suggests her followers eat.

I find that if I do not have breakfast, that I'm grumpy and don't feel the best.  Breakfast can be healthy, it doesn't have to be unhealthy - but I have had my share of sugary cereals and whatever I happened to find.  Cold pizza on occasions.  Today, Mr. Briefly took me out to breakfast for Mother's Day so we had bigger than normal.  Eggs, hash browns, biscuits & gravy, also sausage and bacon but I gave mine to Mr. Briefly because I was stuffed.  I had lunch with my daughter, she wanted Subway and I had a tuna sandwich.  We had homemade cheeseburgers, potato salad and macaroni salad for dinner.  More than we usually eat in a day, but it was all Mother's Day and I don't feel a bit guilty!  Yes, I did overdo it a bit.  But it's not going to hurt me, and it was a nice day that I really enjoyed.  And that was more important than worrying about the amount of calories, fat, etc., that I had today.

Eat that, Gwen.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 10

36 minutes ago, fransalley said:

Confession time:  One of my favorite "breakfast foods" as a kid was Pop-Tarts. ?  

I only like the maple brown sugar ones. Mmm. Omg if those aren’t just one big flat dessert, I don’t know what is! 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I only like the maple brown sugar ones. Mmm. Omg if those aren’t just one big flat dessert, I don’t know what is! 

My favorites were the blueberry ones.  My mother would often send them as part of my lunch in school. 

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, fransalley said:

My favorites were the blueberry ones.  My mother would often send them as part of my lunch in school. 

Blueberry are good - so are strawberry but for me there is nothing like a cherry Pop Tart.

• Upvote 4

I think this is what makes me so incredibly sad... she's not just warping the minds of consenting adults... she's teaching an entire church full of a children that their bodies don't need proper nutrition... that it's okay to just eat junk food... that as long as you're incredibly thin then not only is your body healthy (as if weight is the only measure of health) but you've made God happy (as if weight is how we measure our relationship with God). It's disgusting, and I don't understand how (in many cases) educated and Biblically knowledgeable adults are falling for her twisted gospel hook, line, and sinker.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

Gwen clearly reads here, but I am pretty sure she has told her minions not to read and not to respond. They looked like complete fools last time they did.  

She is still responding to our criticism of her junk food addiction. This time she calls it processed food. She is claiming that the people in the Bible ate things similar to Fritos. I'm not a biblical scholar, but I did spent entirely too much time reading the Bible, and I'm 100 % sure that is not true. She also claims it is impossible to swallow food if it doesn't have fat in it. How exactly am I eating these strawberries then? They smell super good too. Strawberries aren't exactly known for having fat in them. Lots of fruits and veggies don't and they smell great. Gwen has spent so many years eating junk she has forgotten how good healthy food can smell and taste. 

The more time she spends justifying her junk food addition the more insane she sounds. 

The liver is a chemical factory that is capable of turning what you eat into the substances your body needs. If you happen to swallow a trace amount of a chemical that the body does not like, such as a pesticide, then the liver traps it and breaks it down, preventing it from entering your normal bloodstream or damaging your liver. But the usable food particles are passed on by your liver to the heart, where they will be pumped all over the body.

Your body is designed to take care of itself, and you do not have to worry whether food is processed or not. Your body will break down any chemicals in processed foods (most of which are usable by the body, i.e. vitamins, minerals, proteins, etc.), and your liver will filter any harmful substances. Keep in mind that the Israelites, God’s people, ate processed foods. In Leviticus 2, they used the most finely ground flour, fats, and salts to make bread, which is very similar to our present-day Frito. The world will condemn fats, however, fats were made by God to carry the aroma, and without them it would be impossible to swallow foods. Fats are an essential nutrient for good health.

Leviticus 2, by the way is about grain offerings, not making a bag of Fritos to eat. And this sounds nothing like a Frito. 

Spoiler

If you bring a grain offering baked in an oven, it is to consist of the finest flour: either thick loaves made without yeast and with olive oil mixed in or thin loaves made without yeast and brushed with olive oil.5 If your grain offering is prepared on a griddle, it is to be made of the finest flour mixed with oil, and without yeast. 6 Crumble it and pour oil on it; it is a grain offering. 7 If your grain offering is cooked in a pan, it is to be made of the finest flour and some olive oil. 8 Bring the grain offering made of these things to the Lord; present it to the priest, who shall take it to the altar. 9 He shall take out the memorial portion from the grain offering and burn it on the altar as a food offering, an aroma pleasing to the Lord. 10 The rest of the grain offering belongs to Aaron and his sons; it is a most holy part of the food offerings presented to the Lord.

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 12
  • WTF 3

In Leviticus 2, they used the most finely ground flour, fats, and salts to make bread, which is very similar to our present-day Frito.

Hilarious!  I mentioned Fritos in the last thread, and here it is!  Any bets that RF holds Frito-Lay stock in its portfolio? 

And I, too, worry about the body image being foisted as normal on the children of RF.  And the early marriages.  And the stay close to home mentality.  And the emphasis on material goods.  And...and...and...

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

In Leviticus 2, they used the most finely ground flour, fats, and salts to make bread, which is very similar to our present-day Frito.

So in Remnant-land, the word according to Gwen is that Fritos are bread? Do they use Fritos for communion? I could see them passing around a family size bag, with each person reaching in and getting JUST ONE Frito out. "And Jesus said, this salty Frito is my body, take it and crunch thee upon it. Just one though, and only if you are feeling the growl. And you can lick the salt off first, to really savor it. *Gwen licks her Frito, savors the salty flavor, and then holds it in her mouth a solid minute before swallowing.* Isn't the body of Christ nourishment enough for all of us? Don't you feel just filled with the Spirit? It's so nice to share such a filling lunch with all of you, and fellowship in Christ. Let's pass out the wine!" *giant rack of wine bottles is rolled out, each person getting a full glass.*

And Fritos are made of corn meal, aren't they? Which is from the Americas, which I'm certain the people of the Bible weren't in contact with. Flour, salt and olive oil sounds more like a flatbread or flour tortilla. Not a Frito. 

I am beginning to think Gwen's starving herself has done some damage to her brain. Especially combined with the lack of nutrition in the little she does eat and the daily hairspray exposure.

• Upvote 17

I think that Gwen got away for years with her bat shit crazy yammerings and now has no idea how to counter our valid criticism. When she is able to concentrate long enough to write this stuff out I wonder if she thinks “ Ha this should shut them up I put some sciency words in there. No one will be able to argue now “.

Just as an aside every once in a while I enjoy BBQ Fritos and chip dip. Sounds revolting but tastes good. However I never delude myself into thinking I am eating a nutritious snack and following an ancient tradition.

• Upvote 9

54 minutes ago, Botkinetti said:

I think that Gwen got away for years with her bat shit crazy yammerings and now has no idea how to counter our valid criticism. When she is able to concentrate long enough to write this stuff out I wonder if she thinks “ Ha this should shut them up I put some sciency words in there. No one will be able to argue now “

ITA. I don't think she has been exposed to people looking at her beliefs critically for a very, very long time and she doesn't have the faintest idea on how to defend her teachings. It is obvious no one who follows her knows how to defend her insane ideas. I'm sure that every time she writes one of her devotionals that are obviously directed at us she probably thinks she is being so wise. Gwen doesn't look or act like someone who is healthy. She rambles, she can't remember questions she was just asked and she just looks sickly. 

Joe, IMO, realizes how insane she sounds, which is why he tries to do most of the talking in the live videos and gives advice that is the opposite of what she gives. 

I was looking through some RF members FB pages and there is one guy who lost about five years ago but he has obviously gained weight back. It is really no wonder with Gwen's teaching. I would gain weight like crazy if I tried to follow her advice. It must be awful in that church to gain weight back because you are being told to follow and impossible diet and if you can't you are a sinner rejecting God. 

• Upvote 10

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

And Fritos are made of corn meal, aren't they? 

Yes they are.  

What she’s describing sounds like Matzah bread which is something the Israelites  actually ate back in the day.

it was also present in childhood casa de Buffy because I grew up in a Jewish neighborhood and was jealous of my friends getting PB&J on Matzah bread during Passover while I got plain old Butternut.

which came with a snoopy sticker while Matzah did not so what was I bitching about?

If Gwen can be a SME on food so can I:  Matzah bread =\= Fritos, lemons smell delightful without fat, and snoopy is awesome but getting a Joe Cool sticker would make my whole week.

and now I want Fritos - fuck you Gwen

• Upvote 11

22 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

What she’s describing sounds like Matzah bread which is something the Israelites  actually ate back in the day.

Thank you!

When I read Leviticus 2 that @formergothardite posted I was wondering if Leviticus was describing a pita but pitas need some yeast (I had to look it up). Now I want a pita pocket with fresh veggies (shredded carrots, zucchini, broccoli in a dill sauce) with a side of Fritos. 

If Gwen would actually teach Biblical diet, I don't think we would have a problem with the diet portion of her teaching (her love bombing and shunning would still be a problem).

Here is an article about the diet Jesus would have had:

Chief crops were wheat, barley, olives, grapes; legumes such as lentils, fava beans, chickpeas; and vegetables such as onions, leeks, and garlic. Life was also made sweeter with fruits such as olives, grapes, date palms, apples, watermelon, pomegranates, figs, and sycamores (a low-quality fig eaten mainly by the poor). The people also raised sheep, goats, and cattle, and fished from the Mediterranean and the Sea of Galilee. Wine from the grapes was the main beverage.

...Each day began with a light breakfast of bread or a piece for fruit. Bread was kneaded and baked every day...

...The main meal was eaten at the end of the day. Dinner was a one-pot stew served in a common bowl. Bread was used to spoon the stew. The stew might be a thick porridge of vegetables, lentils, or chickpeas spiced with herbs. Meat was only served occasionally, fish more often,..

article source: https://www.loyolapress.com/our-catholic-faith/prayer/arts-and-faith/culinary-arts/dining-with-jesus-delve-into-the-biblical-diet 

As the article says, only the rich had lamb or calves, so if you cut out lamb & calves the diet of the middle East during Biblical times was simple yet very healthy, as all of us here on FJ already know. I hope RF followers see this post and at least start eating like biblical times - bread and fruit for breakfast, lunch would be bread, olives & figs and dinner would be a stew or fish. 

Edited by quiversR4hunting
separated thoughts
  • Upvote 7

29 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Now I want a pita pocket with fresh veggies (shredded carrots, zucchini, broccoli in a dill sauce) with a side of Fritos. 

Now I want that too...if I knew what dill sauce was.  I’ll just imagine a light vinnegrette, add some avocado, and swap the zucchini for tomatoes and I’d be so happy.

it’s lunch and I’m starving but just put pitas on grocery list for tomorrow.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Now I want that too...if I knew what dill sauce was.  I’ll just imagine a light vinnegrette, add some avocado, and swap the zucchini for tomatoes and I’d be so happy.

it’s lunch and I’m starving but just put pitas on grocery list for tomorrow.

I should have said dill dip-

1 cup reduced-fat sour cream.

1 cup fat-free mayonnaise.

1 tablespoon chopped onion.

1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley.

1 tablespoon dill weed.

3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt.

Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled

Oh and some cherry tomatoes does sound good!

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 4

• Curious locked this topic