IGNORED

Jinjer 49: Westward Ho!

Coconut Flan

I think taking photos, even of the places where people died, is not necessarily a bad thing. It all depends on the type of photo.

Selfies, or actually any photo with a person posing, are not appropriate. But if you are a good photographer and you can make great pictures of the place that capture the right feeling I don't see it as disturbing.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

25 minutes ago, CarrotCake said:

I think taking photos, even of the places where people died, is not necessarily a bad thing. It all depends on the type of photo.

Selfies, or actually any photo with a person posing, are not appropriate. But if you are a good photographer and you can make great pictures of the place that capture the right feeling I don't see it as disturbing.

There is a difference between art and clueless.  I love to take art photos (just as a hobby), if I ever get there I would want to take photos like that, I've seen many photos of the camps, but I can't imagine being there in person, I imagine it would almost be like walking on scared ground. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

Jinger and Jeremy are cultivating some kind of fundie-lite woke persona that I find unbelievably eyeroll worthy.

• Upvote 20
  • I Agree 11

I thought the photo was in really bad taste. Basically a duck lipped selfie at a Holocaust Museum? GTFO.

Just imagine if this was Jill.

Jinger and Jeremy are the worst, ain't nobody convincing me otherwise. Those two are THIRSTY.

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 12

And it was in a story grouped with her lunch and ice cream.  That feels pretty trivializing, especially with her use of ? which is mostly used ironically. Sorry, Jing, the Holocaust museum is not really about you and your adventurous day out. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 6

I would like to visit Auschwitz if I can. It's on my top list of things to do.

That (the photo taking) me so sad I can't hardly bear it.

Why must we inject ourselves into every narrative?

I hate it. I truly hate it.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

17 hours ago, DillyDally said:

Random anecdote: I went to visit Auschwitz last year while on holiday in Poland. It was super busy but very well organised. People were taking photos like it's the bloody Eiffel tower. On two occassions, our guide asked people not to take pictures as they were scenes where people have died (one courtyard where people were shot and one of the gas chambers). Guess what, people were still taking pictures of EVERYTHING. Made me quite mad. I mean, come on, are you gonna show those pictures around at home like "and this is where they died"??

That happened on my trip to Auschwitz as well. I was in a tour group with my husband, and I was already overly emotional, being five months pregnant at the time and having waited YEARS to visit there... and I totally snapped on people for being insensitive enough to take photos in certain places that were off limits. Sorry not sorry, awful people. Auschwitz was exactly as I had imagined it and somehow even worse. We definitely plan on going all the way back to Poland (we're in the USA) when our daughters are older to show them as well... at an appropriate age, anyway.

• Upvote 15

I can't even imagine being so callous. I went to the Holocaust museum in DC when I was about 14, and halfway through I just broke down sobbing. My dad didn't know what the hell to do. As a middle-class white American, I had never faced atrocities like that so intimately. When I saw the bed frames from Auschwitz, I saw the sign saying "DO NOT TOUCH." So I got the urge to reach out, just to brush the wood with my knuckles. I did. It felt like a jolt of electricity through my body as I touched that wood, I just remember thinking... people slept here. People DIED here. And the thought of it just utterly broke me.

People treating it like a theme park, hell, even Duggars making abortion comparisons, just seems so disrespectful to me. 

• Upvote 19
  • Love 8

I've been to Auschwitz- Birkenau also. I don't understand to need to take photos. Those images are seared into my brain forever. 

What I was so unprepared for was so many memorial markers of other camps throughout the parts of Poland I was in. 

• Upvote 7

Did Jinger remove the Holocaust Museum post? I was looking for it but don’t see it on IG. 

Edited by Jinder Roles
  • I Agree 3

39 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Did Jinger remove the Holocaust Museum post? I was looking for it but don’t see it on IG. 

It was on her Instagram stories. I believe they disappear after 24 hours. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

It was Felicity’s first birthday yesterday! I wonder why Duggar fam did not wish on their fb or instagram account ( they always wish every child, grand child , dil, sil etc ! Jinger and Jeremy did ton of posts for felicity’s birthday ( only comments were from Jill and Anna) .. none from Jessa. 

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Fundielandobserver said:

It was Felicity’s first birthday yesterday! I wonder why Duggar fam did not wish on their fb or instagram account ( they always wish every child, grand child , dil, sil etc ! Jinger and Jeremy did ton of posts for felicity’s birthday ( only comments were from Jill and Anna) .. none from Jessa. 

Duggarfam insta wished her a happy birthday in it's stories.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Eh, when you have hordes of kids, you’ll have even a larger horde of grandkids. Everyone is a number in these mega families. No one is that special. Notice Jinger was in LA celebrating with her In-laws...when you only have 3 kids and 1 grandkid, those kids and GKs are apt to get more individual attention. Just another downfall of cult families who reproduce willy-nilly.

• Upvote 19

Spoiler

At first glance, Jinger's hand placement here looks like Jeremy's expecting Vuolo #2. That or she was reaching for his fly then saw the camera and moved her hand.

• Haha 15

I know several people who survived the holocaust. It is very disrespectful to equate that and slavery to abortion. TAM has a friend who survived the holocaust. She’s been using her in her pro life movement a lot lately. She even named one of her daughters after her. It’s so sick and twisted. 

I’d like to give jinger a pass on the pictures because of her upbringing but she has been on her own, married, for a few years now and should know better. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2

On 7/19/2019 at 9:02 AM, Screamapillar said:

Jinger and Jeremy are cultivating some kind of fundie-lite woke persona that I find unbelievably eyeroll worthy.

The word you are looking for is pretentious.  This is why JinJer and Burnt Umber and whats his face from the Little family Big World are the perfect "God Squad" they are all so pretentious and over the top obnoxious. 

• Upvote 19

6 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I know several people who survived the holocaust. It is very disrespectful to equate that and slavery to abortion.

Slavery was a several hundred year holocaust for black american people. Abortion comparisons I agree with, but the inhumanity of chattel slavery, with rape, abuse, erasure of culture, destruction of families, not to mention all that unpaid labor that built America, has had a devastating effect on the socioeconomic standing of black americans to this day. Nothing disrespectful about likening the holocaust to slavery as both were examples of the worst humankind has to offer. I'm black and this is how I feel. 

6 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

I’d like to give jinger a pass on the pictures because of her upbringing but she has been on her own, married, for a few years now and should know better. 

You haven't heard? Duggar women remain perpetually infantilized. Of course I am being facetious here. 

10 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

The word you are looking for is pretentious. 

This is why publicity-seeking fundies annoy me. They are both pretentious and smug. Nothing special about any of them, yet they feel thy are worthy of being deemed an "influencer". It's a bunch of garbage.

• Upvote 25
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 1

47 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Slavery was a several hundred year holocaust for black american people. Abortion comparisons I agree with, but the inhumanity of chattel slavery, with rape, abuse, erasure of culture, destruction of families, not to mention all that unpaid labor that built America, has had a devastating effect on the socioeconomic standing of black americans to this day. Nothing disrespectful about likening the holocaust to slavery as both were examples of the worst humankind has to offer. I'm black and this is how I feel.

I'm obviously not the OP, but I believe @Lgirlrocks was saying that it's disrespectful to compare slavery to abortion, just like it's disrespectful to compare the holocaust to abortion. Not that it's disrespectful to compare slavery to the holocaust.

• Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

I've been to Auschwitz- Birkenau also. I don't understand to need to take photos. Those images are seared into my brain forever. 

What I was so unprepared for was so many memorial markers of other camps throughout the parts of Poland I was in. 

I agree. I don’t care if your pictures are artistic and powerful and sensitive or whatever. If you don’t use them to educate others there is absolute no need to take photos there. I have been to Buchenwald and I can never forget what I learned there. No photo can make you as horrified if you haven’t heard what happened.

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

You haven't heard? Duggar women remain perpetually infantilized. Of course I am being facetious here. 

This is why publicity-seeking fundies annoy me. They are both pretentious and smug. Nothing special about any of them, yet they feel thy are worthy of being deemed an "influencer". It's a bunch of garbage.

I disagree. I won’t argue against the stand that both are on the same level of unspeakable horror. But both are ways of genocide. 

But the intentions behind it are different. Slavery did not have the sole purpose to completely wipe out black people (as far as I am educated about it- feel free to point me to renowned resources if I am wrong) . That is what concentration camps were about. It wasn’t about the labour those poor souls did there. That was just to get a bit more out of them than just a corpse. But the goal was always erasure. Those camps and gas chambers were built because it was “too expensive“/„waisting ammunition“ to just shoot them (as they did in the beginning). And of course it made it easier to have them all in one place. That is what makes part of the horror for me. The complete absence of emotion but pure efficiency to wipe out humans. And that is why Holocaust is not the same as slavery in my opinion. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

On 7/19/2019 at 5:39 PM, twoandthrough said:

That happened on my trip to Auschwitz as well. I was in a tour group with my husband, and I was already overly emotional, being five months pregnant at the time and having waited YEARS to visit there... and I totally snapped on people for being insensitive enough to take photos in certain places that were off limits. Sorry not sorry, awful people. Auschwitz was exactly as I had imagined it and somehow even worse. We definitely plan on going all the way back to Poland (we're in the USA) when our daughters are older to show them as well... at an appropriate age, anyway.

My parents were there a few years ago and they said people were standing on the train tracks on the way in taking selfies... like the kind with the peace signs.... ? He is Jewish and I’m surprised he didn’t lose it over that but I think he was actually glad these people visited at all.

I am generally ok with people taking pictures though but don’t get needing like 100... maybe a couple to remind you of something or a couple haunting ones to do something artistic with later...

• Sad 5

The last time I was in a Holocaust Museum, a fight ensued between some Jewish folks (self identified) and another group whose behaviors were deemed inappropriate for the venue. My husband and I were actually situated between the 2 parties. So many charged emotions for all, and rightfully so. 

• Upvote 4

I am an empath and know I would be physically ill if I visited a death camp. I can read about it and watch programs about it, but to stand on that ground and feel all those victims emotions would do me in.

i can’t go to Remembrance Day Ceremonies either , I would just lose it, and this would maybe too upsetting for other people.  I’m so weird sometimes and can’t seem to change this.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 9

I went to Mauthausen when I was 14 with a school group. I took a lot of pictures to show my parents when I got home— they’re both very interested, but didn’t have the opportunity to visit when we lived in Europe. I didn’t take any selfies (that’s hardly appropriate), and I was more than a little horrified when some of my classmates did. 

I never really considered that that people would find it inappropriate or disrespectful to take pictures. It certainly makes me think about the ones I took 13 years ago. 

• Upvote 10

• Coconut Flan locked this topic