Jump to content
IGNORED

Jinjer 49: Westward Ho!


Coconut Flan

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I just saw a comment on Jeremy’s Instagram that the actress Claudia Wells has a great love of the Lord so church must be their connection.

They reshot the whole Jennifer scene from the end of BTTF 1 when they switched actresses for BTTF 2. There are YouTube videos like the one below that show them side-by-side. Honestly I liked the Claudia Wells Jennifer better. :)

Spoiler

 

 

  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

We do have winter, but hey it's ok with me. Not always snow and/or ice. Plus, I like cute boots and sweaters. How slight is slight?

I've lived here (Bay Area) for 29 years and the largest one I felt was the Napa quake which was a 6.0 but also like 60 miles away from me so not terribly strong where I live.  I've probably felt one smaller one every 2-3 years.  Mostly so small that you turn to the person next you and say, 'was that an earthquake?'  (Or if you were alone, you go on FB and see if other people are posting about it or check the USGS site). 

That said, they've been predicting a big one on the Hayward fault 'within the next 30 years' ever since I got here... 29 years ago ;-). The Hayward fault runs under the East Bay hills (Oakland, Berkeley, etc).  It actually runs right through the Cal stadium and I lived a block from there when I first moved to the area but now I'm on the other side of the bay (the San Andreas Fault side, LOL). 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok call me an utter dumbo, but like, I am honestly way too tired to read the whole thread and all, and probably should've figured this out from the thread title already, but did they like, move to LA...? I feel like I'm out of the loop, yet at the same time I'm hanging on to it with my dear life. Like that one friend that doesn't get the joke and makes an awkward A-HAHA after a non-joke.

  • Upvote 5
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I've lived here (Bay Area) for 29 years and the largest one I felt was the Napa quake which was a 6.0 but also like 60 miles away from me so not terribly strong where I live.  I've probably felt one smaller one every 2-3 years.  Mostly so small that you turn to the person next you and say, 'was that an earthquake?'  (Or if you were alone, you go on FB and see if other people are posting about it or check the USGS site). 

That said, they've been predicting a big one on the Hayward fault 'within the next 30 years' ever since I got here... 29 years ago ;-). The Hayward fault runs under the East Bay hills (Oakland, Berkeley, etc).  It actually runs right through the Cal stadium and I lived a block from there when I first moved to the area but now I'm on the other side of the bay (the San Andreas Fault side, LOL). 

 My kids once attended a school that was built practically on top of the Hayward fault.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, socalrules said:

 I will take earthquakes over hurricanes and tornados any day.

Just like earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes vary in intensity. I'm sure folks that live in hurricane and tornado zones feel like you about where they live. It's normal to prefer what you know and are familiar with.

  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, finnlassie said:

Ok call me an utter dumbo, but like, I am honestly way too tired to read the whole thread and all, and probably should've figured this out from the thread title already, but did they like, move to LA...? I feel like I'm out of the loop, yet at the same time I'm hanging on to it with my dear life. Like that one friend that doesn't get the joke and makes an awkward A-HAHA after a non-joke.

Yes they did move to LA.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Flossie said:

Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): You post many religious sayings. Were you raised in a Christian household?

Claudia Wells: No, I wasn’t raised as a Christian. I didn’t even find out I was … I was raised to go to church Christmas and Easter, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. When I was 15 and I starred in Herbie, the Love Bug (TV series) with Dean Jones, he chose me to sit down with as opposed to the other two kids on the series.

All he did was talk to me about God and about filling that hole in your heart with God, otherwise it’s going to be filled with men, drugs, and alcohol.
 

Wow, what an incredibly exploitative thing to do to a 15-year old. Disgusting.

  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I live in a place with no tornados, no earthquakes and no hurricanes. And free healthcare. ?

Same here. Although it tends to be pretty mild during winter time and I'd love to see snow again after so many wet and grey winters. But that is complaining on a high level.

I honestly don't know how all you wonderful people live with tornadoes, earthquakes, whatsoever. That is some badass shit and I'm deeply impressed. Stay safe, dear fellow FJ-siblings!!

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Flossie said:

Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): You post many religious sayings. Were you raised in a Christian household?

Claudia Wells: No, I wasn’t raised as a Christian. I didn’t even find out I was … I was raised to go to church Christmas and Easter, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. When I was 15 and I starred in Herbie, the Love Bug (TV series) with Dean Jones, he chose me to sit down with as opposed to the other two kids on the series.

All he did was talk to me about God and about filling that hole in your heart with God, otherwise it’s going to be filled with men, drugs, and alcohol. Dean used to talk to me about discernment. Every Sunday he and his wife Lory would take my mom and me to The Church On The Way in Van Nuys, then we’d go to brunch. Through him I became born again and that has been my spiritual path ever since no matter what has been going on, good or bad in my life.

I’ve known that God always had His hand on me. He’s always sent people to help me and walk with me. I started going to Pastor Frank Wilson’s Christian Entertainer’s Fellowship when I was 18 and for the last 6 years I have attended his church called New Dawn Christian Village. I was in the choir for two and a half years and went to Bishop Blake’s West Angeles Church so God and Jesus are in my life.

Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): If acting was your life’s ambition, why did you leave it?

Claudia Wells: There was a lot of stuff going on at home, my mom was diagnosed with fourth stage cancer and that was right before Back to the Future II and Back to the Future III were to be filmed so I backed out of those films to deal with the turmoil at home. My mom eventually passed away and went to heaven. I traveled and had my kid 15 years ago.

I opened my store called Armani Wells 19 years ago in Studio City. It’s a high-end designer resale clothing store for men only. I sell very high-end expensive clothing at rock bottom prices. It’s like celebrity clothing that have only been worn once or they have been photographed in it and can’t wear it again. Everything is dry-cleaned. It’s current styles from jeans to tuxedos with accessories.

What costs $3,000 for an Armani or Versace suit new, you spend $300 or $400 on that same suit in my store. I ship clothes to people all over the world. I receive all of the emails and customers can make a personal appointment with me so I can style them. I’m absolutely brilliant at making guys look gorgeous and the price is right.

http://smashinginterviews.com/interviews/actors/claudia-wells-interview-back-to-the-future-celebrates-25th-anniversary
 

This is like the creepiest thing I ever read, it seriously sounds like what child molesters do grooming a child, making them feel special, taking them aside, doing fun things with their family. Even if it was just God, this guy made moves in the creepiest, most unacceptable ways ever.

 

Do we know what part of LA they moved too? What church or school he is tied too? Because as much as everyone says LA, LA is huge and every area can be quite different from another. Not curious in a stalker way, more at if they went cheaper or more expensive area and how much culture shock they are set to get. 

  • Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@finnlassie, yes, they shook the Laredo Church plant's dust off their sandals and have moved to LA.  So Jeremy can go to graduate school.  He's been taking online classes for a while.

4 hours ago, tankgirl said:

Do we know what part of LA they moved too? What church or school he is tied too? Because as much as everyone says LA, LA is huge and every area can be quite different from another. Not curious in a stalker way, more at if they went cheaper or more expensive area and how much culture shock they are set to get. 

They are probably in the Santa Clarita area as that is where the Master's Seminary is located.  I know nothing about the geography of LA or Santa Clarita.  :)

They are planning to attend Grace Community Church there:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Community_Church_(California)  Basically the same church as Grace Community Church in San Antonio where Jeremy got his start.

The Master's University, the Seminary, and the church(es) were all founded by John MacArthur.  A Calvinist Baptist and an arsehole.  He is most famous for arguing that social justice has nothing to do with the Gospel.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._MacArthur

The Master's University is regionally accredited but is on probation at the moment because:

Quote

The university has been accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges since 1975.[9] In July 2018, it was placed on probation.[10] WASC found the institution in violation of multiple standards of accreditation, including competing loyalties among its board of directors, a lack of operational integrity, and a pattern of unethical treatment among faculty and staff. The visiting accreditation team observed – and received reports of – a climate of fear, intimidation, bullying, and uncertainty among significant numbers of faculty and staff.[10] WASC stated its "extreme concern" that the university might be in violation of required reporting responsibilities under the Clery Act, the Violence Against Women Act, and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.[11] The university has less than two years to remedy the perceived problems and avoid withdrawal of its accreditation;[11] it has said that it is working to correct them.[12][13] 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master's_University#cite_note-sitereport-11

Yeah, I wouldn't want to go anywhere near there.

I see Jeremy's mugshot has finally been taken down from the GCC Laredo page.  They did ordain another pastor for the church plant (Mirales) but his name isn't up there as a contact yet.  I can't say I blame him,

  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They're going to be living within commuting distance of Sun Valley where Jeremy is going to attend The Master's Seminary on the campus of Grace Community Church.  Most of their posts have been between Studio City and Santa Clarita.  I think the college sponsored by Grace Community is in or near Santa Clarita and that would explain his playing soccer there.

@Palimpsest  TMS is actually on the Sun Valley church campus.  The college is in Santa Clarita.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My guess is they will live in or near Santa Clarita. It is much cheaper than Studio City and enormously cheaper than Los Angeles. Santa Clarita is a nice, quiet area and is about 30 miles from Los Angeles. It’s distance from the city is what makes it so much cheaper. My co-worker lives in Santa Clarita and his commute to Los Angeles is ridiculous but it was really the only way to afford a house. 

  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

The Master's University is regionally accredited but is on probation at the moment

Oo... I've been following that story too, but hadn't put this 2 and 2 together. That raises an interesting point; what if Jeremy puts all that work into a degree from Master's, and they ultimately lose their accreditation? Maybe that's unlikely. Or maybe he wouldn't care if it did happen; there are probably lots of churches he could pursue being called to, which would look favorably on a grad degree from Master's whether they were accredited or not. Tribal alignment is important, y'know!

  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know these areas very well.

Sun Valley and around has more diverse areas, and some areas that have been hit by gentrefication so cost more money, it sits in the San Fernando Valley, and is busy, and if I chose a place for them to live, it would not be where I would chose for them as a real estate agent.

Santa Clarita, is on the other side of the mountain from Sun Valley a very short distance by freeway, it is actually a huge area, that incompasses a lot of cities, but usually is referred to as Santa Clarita, as is one small area called Santa Clarita, it has a small diverse area, some cheaper areas, very rural areas, and areas of super white suburbs, that many of the jokes in Santa Clarita diet hits pretty right on. The area is more right leaning for sure. I think what it offers for them, their beliefs and having a child, I think again as a real estate agent, I would be heading them out Valencia way for certain.

I of course could be very wrong, but if I was choosing for them, I would take them that way. It will not be cheap living out there and thats a lot of driving in traffic back and worth, but they are from Texas which means they are used to driving, but gas is expensive in CA. 

I haven't lived out that way in quite a few years, but I am pretty familar with that whole area. Which makes it very weird for me. 

Edited by tankgirl
  • Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So all this makes me think of is the delightfully funny and gory Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix. Drew Barrymore as a zombie anyone?

Hey we know they do The Queen?

 

  • Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still excited Jinger is going to let Felicity play soccer, guys.  They already have her playing around with a ball and she's not even 1 yet. 

I honestly wasn't sure Jeremy's sports interests would be considered okay for girls. I hope they keep being this enthusiastic for Lissy and sports when Jeremy Jr comes along. 

But even if they're not quite as excited she still gets to run and wear shorts and develop a skill and have teammates she can bond with who aren't her siblings.  So much better than what Jinger got. 

  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

The Master's University, the Seminary, and the church(es) were all founded by John MacArthur.  A Calvinist Baptist and an arsehole.  He is most famous for arguing that social justice has nothing to do with the Gospel.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_F._MacArthur

And he is so wrong. Why did Jesus stand up for the woman about to get stoned for adultery? Because it was unjust, that's why. Piper needs to read The Hole in  Our Gospel by Richard Stearns. Not caring about social justice is not caring for the least of these and is antithetical to living as a Christ follower.  Piper is indeed an asshole. Why would any Christian argue against doing good? The Catholics got this one right.

  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Why would any Christian argue against doing good? The Catholics got this one right.

Because they hate the Catholics. This drives a lot of the absolutely insane views on social justice, alleviation of poverty and the approach to the wealth gospels (the totally morally bankrupt idea that Christ wants us all to be filthy rich, which of course is a great validator for the megachurch pastors who themselves are, filthy rich). It's all rooted in an almost pathological hatred of Catholicism.

  • Upvote 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe Jeremy wants his own team ? "let me win kids, or you're grounded"

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Antipatriarch said:

Oo... I've been following that story too, but hadn't put this 2 and 2 together. That raises an interesting point; what if Jeremy puts all that work into a degree from Master's, and they ultimately lose their accreditation? Maybe that's unlikely. Or maybe he wouldn't care if it did happen; there are probably lots of churches he could pursue being called to, which would look favorably on a grad degree from Master's whether they were accredited or not. Tribal alignment is important, y'know!

Master's is supposedly (reluctantly?) putting measures in place to try to save its accreditation.  It had 2 years in 2018.  But it is obviously in pretty dire straights.  I would not want to be a female student or faculty member at the University at all.  I think the Seminary part is Men Only.

However, if it loses accreditation I doubt Jeremy would care.  It seems to me that his career ambitions are to work his way up the Grace Church hierarchy and to end up in charge of one of the Grace mega-churches.  A non-accredited degree from Master's wouldn't bother Grace Community.  He might have to do more church planting on his way up the ladder, and definitely more preaching.  I don't find him an inspiring preacher at all but perhaps others do,

19 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

And he is so wrong. Why did Jesus stand up for the woman about to get stoned for adultery? Because it was unjust, that's why. Piper needs to read The Hole in  Our Gospel by Richard Stearns. Not caring about social justice is not caring for the least of these and is antithetical to living as a Christ follower.  Piper is indeed an asshole. Why would any Christian argue against doing good? The Catholics got this one right.

I agree, but it is John F. MacArthur not Piper this time.  MacArthur is in that blurry and  ever narrowing gap between Evangelical and Fundamentalist to me.  Young Earther, horrendously anti-women (although he claims he is complementarian) and anti-LBGTQ.  He claims to be a  "leaky dispensationalist" and has been accused of being Works-based. not Grace Alone.

Yet he has argued loud and long against Social Justice and the Gospel.

16 hours ago, AtlanticTug said:

Because they hate the Catholics. This drives a lot of the absolutely insane views on social justice, alleviation of poverty and the approach to the wealth gospels (the totally morally bankrupt idea that Christ wants us all to be filthy rich, which of course is a great validator for the megachurch pastors who themselves are, filthy rich). It's all rooted in an almost pathological hatred of Catholicism.

It's a theory and a good one. 

But the worst "Prosperity Gospel" preachers are probably just motivated by self-promotion and greed.  I honestly can see nothing "Christian" about them.

  • Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

And he is so wrong. Why did Jesus stand up for the woman about to get stoned for adultery? Because it was unjust, that's why. Piper needs to read The Hole in  Our Gospel by Richard Stearns. Not caring about social justice is not caring for the least of these and is antithetical to living as a Christ follower.  Piper is indeed an asshole. Why would any Christian argue against doing good? The Catholics got this one right.

Why do Christians argue against doing good? Because it is against the republican agenda, most evangelicals aren't Christians they are republicans, there is NOTHING Christ like, ethical or moral about evangelical beliefs.  Even most Baptist secs and nondenominational churches have always been bigoted, exclusive and hateful towards anyone that isn't exactly like they are. 

  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I don't find him an inspiring preacher at all but perhaps others do,

He fits right in with Grace preachers.  They all give rather boring college lecture type sermons.  I've listened to parts of sermons from four different Grace Community preachers.  They're all that "expository" droning on and on. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:00 PM, SilverBeach said:

Just like earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes vary in intensity. I'm sure folks that live in hurricane and tornado zones feel like you about where they live. It's normal to prefer what you know and are familiar with.

Yes, that is probably true.  With tornadoes and hurricanes, seems like people have advance notice and can take cover.  With earthquakes, not so much.  On the other hand, tornadoes and hurricanes last longer, whereas most earthquakes are over in several seconds. 

What really scares me are sink holes.  I can hardly look at pictures of them.  I have a real terror of the ground literally opening up in front of me and falling deep into the earth. 

  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

He fits right in with Grace preachers.  They all give rather boring college lecture type sermons.  I've listened to parts of sermons from four different Grace Community preachers.  They're all that "expository" droning on and on. 

Yep, watched a few minutes of a few, myself.  You would need to put a gun to my head to watch more.  They come over as pseudo-intellectual snooze-fests to me.  And they are so long!

  • Upvote 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Why do Christians argue against doing good? Because it is against the republican agenda, most evangelicals aren't Christians they are republicans, there is NOTHING Christ like, ethical or moral about evangelical beliefs.  Even most Baptist secs and nondenominational churches have always been bigoted, exclusive and hateful towards anyone that isn't exactly like they are. 

So, I’m not having a go at you or anything because I do understand that things in America are very different. But I’ve been attending churches that call themselves evangelical (once simply described to me as “bible believing”) for years here in Australia and been quite close to a number of people at different churches but attending the Baptist college in Sydney (Morling, for any other Aussies reading) which I believe also calls itself evangelical. I’ve found a spectrum of political views, probably better indicated by the church’s location than its denomination. I’ve listened to sermons about how caring for the poor doesn’t come with a “unless it means you’re worse off” caveat, treating the Samaritan as a brother means “they might be terrorists” isn’t a good reason for shutting out refugees, and why not living as people of the world means church funds are better put towards helping the community than buying air conditioners for the church building. At times the dominant views where I attend have been less aligned with my own, and I’ve never found a church that I 100% or even 90% agree with on everything (nor do I expect to), and generally speaking Baptist churches in NSW are not very accepting of LGBTQ+ Christians. We also have some far-right “religious” political groups like Christian Democratic Party that run on platforms of anti-abortion, pro-scripture in schools, anti-LGBTQ+ rights while conveniently ignoring social justice. But I’ve never been able to assume someone’s politics based on their religion, even those attending exactly the same church as me.

How did it get so strongly intertwined in the US, such that so many Christians have a massive blind spot and thought voting for Trump was a good idea simply because he had an R next to his name? Why/how do Republicans get to claim themselves as the Christian party? How did it get to a point where “Baptist” or “evangelical” meant “republican”? I’m really conscious these days that if I was talking to an American, defining myself as “Baptist” or “evangelical” would evoke all kinds of assumptions that it wouldn’t elsewhere.

  • Upvote 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Coconut Flan locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



  • Recent Status Updates

    • Bluebirdbluebell

      Bluebirdbluebell

      I highly recommend Not the Good Girl's Youtube channel. She is making great documentaries about cults.
      · 0 replies
    • BlackberryGirl

      BlackberryGirl

      Ohh jeeze, GrandBerry6 just came to me, snuggled his face in my neck and barfed, all over me. In my neck, in my hair, on my face, down inside my nightie all over the front of my nightie. Ohh FUCK! Bath, washed hair, cleaned sofa. Good times, good times.
      · 2 replies
    • Scrabblemaster

      Scrabblemaster

      I danced through my living room feeling awesome. From time to time I do this. Maybe wine is involved. Good music is definitely involved. It is awesome. I recommend it to you. With or without wine.
      · 2 replies
    • Hazelbunny

      Hazelbunny

      After a few months of trying to decide what kind of new computer to get and my brother telling me a Mac would be the best decision I could ever make and my sister telling me that would be the worst and I ought to stick to Windows.... I now have a used Mac. I am trying to get used to it. Not easy, but the Magnifying program is a lot better than the Windows one (that was the ultimate reason for my decision) and FJ works a lot better than on my 10-year old Laptop, too!!  
      · 0 replies
    • WannabeHistorian

      WannabeHistorian

      Y'all, holter monitors suck. And naturally the palpitations that caused this test to be ordered are remarkably absent today. 
      I'm off to go work out in the hopes that triggers it. T minus 10 hours till I get this thing off. 
      · 4 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      Fuck Fornicate.  Glad I got in to see this place before the world went to shit.
       
      · 0 replies
    • PreciousPantsofDoom

      PreciousPantsofDoom

      I frigging hate the toilets at this worksite. Specifically the door locks. Stupid little knoblet that isn't clear if it is locked or not. Door opens right off the main hallway and the toilet is just far enough from the door that I can't just hold the door shut in case I've got the lock wrong. I mean really people, how hard is it to design this? I just want to pee in private with no anxiety. Apparently that is too much to ask for. 
      · 1 reply
    • 47of74

      47of74

      First thing I'm doing when I get to the hereafter is finding the ancestors who moved to the US in the first place and asking them what the fuck they were thinking moving here in the first place.  Along with giving them an epic the reason you suck speech hopefully in the presence of God and the Lord Jesus Christ Himself to all of them for condemning their descendants to living in a shithole.
      · 0 replies
    • feministxtian

      feministxtian

      Its STILL snowing. Its not like I don't have a million things to do and need to take crap to the dumpster. 
      · 2 replies
    • Chocolate Lover

      Chocolate Lover

      Do any of you play Dyson Sphere Program?   For those who don't know what it is I'd suggest Googling it, because there's no way I could do it justice. 
      There's always just one more thing to do before I turn off.  Blink!  And it's 2 hours later.  
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.