IGNORED

Jinjer 49: Westward Ho!

Coconut Flan

I like it! I'm a natural blonde with super naturally black eyebrows (that would be thick if I didn't pluck).  They don't have to match ☺

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 3

I would love to be a fly on the wall when Jim Boob sees her hair. And jeans. Do you think he looks at instagram? I hope so. I hope he and Michelle both see this kind of thing and know they can't do a damn thing about it. 

Also? I think she looks awesome. It's fun to change things up every once in awhile. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

I looked similar to Jinger when I was in college and we have extremely similar hair and skin tone. I’ve never dyed it blonde. Not even highlights. I assumed it wouldn’t look good on me. I just look better with darker hair. I think Jinger looks beautiful but she looks better with dark hair.  

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6

That's impressively light for what I assume is one salon session. She might be lucky enough to have hair that bleaches while staying healthy easily (I don't- without murdering it, my dark hair lifts to a Trumpian orange color and it would cost a pretty penny for me to ever go blond).

I don't hate it and I hope she keeps experimenting with her hair. It would be super duper extra cool if she experimented with her beliefs too, haha.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 6

Whew, I thought for sure there was another Vuolette on the way!  I'm sort of neutral on how it looks on her, but I love the fact that she did it.   And calling attention to herself by posting about it with no baby or husband in the picture is, well, almost immodest!  Good for her.

I only hope she didn't do it to please her headship.  Oh, and she pretty much just  knocked Jill out of the fundy news cycle with one trip to the hair salon!  Way to keep the fire burning Jinge.  (Eww)

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

I would love if she did for herself and said screw everyone else’s feelings especially after witnessing Jim Bob’s reaction to Michelle’s makeover and how she quickly went back to the old. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, frugalitymom said:

I would love if she did for herself and said screw everyone else’s feelings especially after witnessing Jim Bob’s reaction to Michelle’s makeover and how she quickly went back to the old. 

Judging by the look on Michelle’s face and her reply to Cindy (“Do you love it?” “I love you.”), she hated it too.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, WarriorJane said:

I only hope she didn't do it to please her headship.  Oh, and she pretty much just  knocked Jill out of the fundy news cycle with one trip to the hair salon!  Way to keep the fire burning Jinge.  (Eww)

This is the thing that gives me the squick factor here. Because of how heavy Jeremy’s influence is over Jinger, and how she follows him like his shadow,  I could see this being “Jeremy likes blondes so now I’m blonde.” 

• Upvote 6

She looks happy and her hair looks healthy and shiny.    Jim Bob and Michelle probably hate the hair color and hair cut, the slim un- pregnant waistline and the mannish button front jeans.  

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 2

Jinger fits more into the Bates’ family, while Michaela is more Duggaresque.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

7 hours ago, Nicole Jinger Duggar said:

In my opinion it looks super fake on her; I think it'd have looked nicer with darker on the top blending into blonde. Maybe this is super bitchy of me but it feels like how most girls want to be blonde at some point before you realize that sometimes light blonde isn't as nice as honey or dirty blonde etc on different faces and colorations. I guess she's gotta try it out to see if she likes it but I feel like she'll switch to something darker, maybe between her natural hair and this, in a few months. 

I agree. It does look super fake. Almost like a wig. Many people make that mistake with blonde and choose the wrong type. It looks almost yellow. I don’t think going blonde or highlights suits Jinger’s complexion (especially when she played too much with the self tanner) but a more ashy and darker blonde might have been a better idea. And what balayage is she talking about? The colour looks completely the same at every place.

If she wanted to try it out good for her and if she likes it even better.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, NakedKnees said:

That's impressively light for what I assume is one salon session. She might be lucky enough to have hair that bleaches while staying healthy easily (I don't- without murdering it, my dark hair lifts to a Trumpian orange color and it would cost a pretty penny for me to ever go blond).

I keep the ends of my hair blue (sorry Erin Bates :neener:) but since my hair is naturally very dark I need to take it down to almost white first. Takes about 2 hours for the full process: cut, bleach, blue.  I'm actually doing that this weekend. I'm overdue for a cut and I've got split ends like crazy.

• Upvote 9

8 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

She looks like a Bates with a Duggar face and it's tripping me out.

I was just going to say that looks like Josie Bates' handiwork.

I like it, but I'd dye the eyebrows too.

18 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I keep the ends of my hair blue (sorry Erin Bates :neener:) but since my hair is naturally very dark I need to take it down to almost white first. Takes about 2 hours for the full process: cut, bleach, blue.  I'm actually doing that this weekend. I'm overdue for a cut and I've got split ends like crazy.

I'd love blue mermaid hair, but keeping that colour is high maintenance right?

Thinking about pink since it still looks good while fading - though seems like everyone is doing that right now...

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, squiddysquid said:

I'd love blue mermaid hair, but keeping that colour is high maintenance right?

Thinking about pink since it still looks good while fading - though seems like everyone is doing that right now...

Blue can definitely be tricky. It can easily fade to a gross green color. I dunno what my hairstylist does, maybe it's how much she bleaches it, but I've been lucky in that it fades to more of a grey which doesn't look bad at all.

I do have to re color it myself between haircuts to keep it looking best. Right now it doesn't look super great because I've been lazy about it, but at this point I'm getting it cut so soon I can't be bothered to do anything about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

The blonde definitely draws attention to Jinger's countenance. In other words, I love it. I think she looks amazing and if that is what makes her happy, go for it. I don't think Jeremy's influence on Jinger is any stronger than Ben's over Jessa or Derick's over Jill, or Austyn's over Joy. These girls have learned to fit in. We don't know why Jinger changed her appearance, for all we know she could've always wanted it, and Jeremy told her to use him as an excuse if anyone got pissed at her. Even that is pure speculation. 

Edited by Pretzel
too tired to keep my Duggars straight
  • Upvote 14

2 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

Blue can definitely be tricky. It can easily fade to a gross green color. I dunno what my hairstylist does, maybe it's how much she bleaches it, but I've been lucky in that it fades to more of a grey which doesn't look bad at all.

I do have to re color it myself between haircuts to keep it looking best. Right now it doesn't look super great because I've been lazy about it, but at this point I'm getting it cut so soon I can't be bothered to do anything about it.

You do realise I am desperate for pictures?

I think colourful hair colours can look absolutely amazing. Always dreamed of a „hidden rainbow“. But I am not brave enough for it, and don’t have thick enough hair to keep it hidden. Mermaid hair looks also pretty cool. My boldest choice was to go from my natural ashy blonde to a rusty brownie red. Loving it and I don’t know when I will go back (I will eventually though).

• Upvote 3

I saw this on insta (randomly in my suggestions thingy) and thought it was a photo shop. I think it does look a bit off and I pretty sure it is the eyebrows doing that or just the shock of something so different. I hope she experiments and finds a color that suits her and she likes. I kind of love my natural color, but I wish I was the kind of person who would get (and properly keep up with) a cool color or even just bring out the red highlights in it a bit more. I can barely remember to get my hair trimmed once a year at least, so such a drastic change like Jing screams too much effort at me. I really think her clothes suit her though. She looks amazing (not to be a humper anything, I just think she is really pretty).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

She looks amazing (not to be a humper anything, I just think she is really pretty).

I don't think you need to be a humper to be able to remark that a fundie is looking good.

There's a few things that are obvious that probably contribute to Jinger looking great.

First of all, she seems happy, leading a life that she wants (or thinks she wants, who knows), they seem to somehow be doing well financially (but what do we know), are healthy (unless there's something we don't know), and have only one kid (yet), which is still hard work but manageable compared to her sisters of same age, who almost all have more kids or more on the way. Jinger obviously loves a certain style and decor, is into outfit coordination and the hipster-conservative look, and gets to live out her creativity and fantasy in that regard as she pleases. We have no idea what exactly led to Jinger wearing pants, changing her style, etc. but it's likely some of these changes are sparked by a phase we all go through when we get older, fundie or not. We look back at who we were and what our style was like five to ten years ago, shudder, and decide to do it better now that we're grown ups and have more say. We evolve, our style evolves (or we just think it does, again, who knows...), our ideas of who we want to be change and I assume the same goes for women like Jinger too. Jinger didn't really have a choice when she was unmarried and living at home so she had to conform to her parents' rules. It's sad that in their belief system, women only get permission to make these kinds of choices once they are married but without any further information, it would just be too far fetched to assume it's Jeremy who tells her what to do and what to be like/how to look like. Maybe he once commented he liked blonde hair. If Jinger then thought she'd have to dye her hair blonde for him that's sad. But that is merely an assumption. Maybe she's always wanted to be blonde and he just told her to do whatever she likes. 

Quite frankly, I am very surprised so many people here always know exactly what looks good and what doesn't, which styles go together and which don't. I'd be very annoyed if I posted a pic of myself showing a radical change, and strangers knowing exactly what I should have done to make it look better/more perfect. Who dyes their eyebrows blonde? That's a hassle. They grow out really fast and I wouldn't want blond dye near my eyes. Do such details really matter when someone feels comfortable and confident in their skin? As I stated in a previous post, Jinger, at least to me, seems glowing. 

Many members of FJ are usually such great proponents of a woman's right to choose (her own path), a turn away from rigid gender roles, beauty norms and focusing on superficialities and outward appearance. I don't like this heavy focus on outward appearance and detailed criticism, yet I understand that the show and media coverage provide most of that so outward appearance snark has a better basis than their beliefs, which are only rarely made a topic. 

Yes, I too would wish fundies would come to their senses and realize how many of their beliefs are harmful, rigid, hateful and discriminatory. I would rather they change their doctrines than their hairdos. Yet, when a usually more reserved fundie woman starts to blossom and become more herself and less who her parents think she should be, I can applaud that. It then doesn't matter to me if eye brows are accordingly dyed or not, and it does not make me a leghumper to be pleased by a bold move for fundie standards. 

Edited by Pretzel
added a thought
  • Upvote 22
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 4

So Amy left a comment in Jinger's post which I first read as Hey gorgeous call girl and I couldn't believe it until I took a closer look and saw that it was Hey gorgeous cali girl. For a minute there I thought Amy would be unfollowed once again.

• WTF 1
  • Haha 33

Jinger is one bottle of punky colour away from having green hair. C'mon Jinge, live dangerously!

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic