IGNORED

Jinjer 49: Westward Ho!

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, JillyO said:

Here's the description:

Isn't that basically heresy in their book? Saying the animal experience is not so different from our own is dangerously close to saying humans evolved from monkeys! :penguin-no:

I bet Jesus isn't mentioned once in this series!!  And I bet it is blessedly free of Bible verses as well.  Steve Maxwell would never approve of spending a couple of hours at such a blasphemous activity.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

Jinger posted a video of Felicity baby dancing to a Baby Bum video. My younger son always loved those videos. It’s funny how she goes to see a secular movie in skinny jeans in LA and the next day her baby is dancing to screen time. I know they are still fundie but it is pretty different from how she grew up. 

• Upvote 12

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Jinger posted a video of Felicity baby dancing to a Baby Bum video. My younger son always loved those videos. It’s funny how she goes to see a secular movie in skinny jeans in LA and the next day her baby is dancing to screen time. I know they are still fundie but it is pretty different from how she grew up. 

I think while they are still extremely conservative I think they toe the line for counting on money and her parents. I'm not sure I would classify them as fundy anymore personally. They would be considered pretty normal in my region of the country. Fundy as the classification is a pretty individual dependent though. We've been down that road. I live around a lot of both... Personally I think the line between extremely conservative Christian and fundy is:

- how much they single themselves out dress wise. Do they have strict rules that call attention to their beliefs? Or do they try to blend in modestly?

- limiting children- fundys tend to not limit or only use rhythm method. Extreme conservatives range from having as many as you can provide for to full on birth control

- women's opportunities I think extreme conservatives want their girls educated but not to work while their children are small. Fundy types limit female education. 

- community relations fundys tend to not go out of their small circle of those who follow the same rules, almost always homeschool and work st smaller places/ in the church/ self employed. While the conservative type may homeschool, go privatel or public schooling, have church friends and other approved conservative friends and are more common in the work place. 

I could think of a few more but that just an example of my opinion. Everyone has such different qualifications that it's impossible to define. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

What was weird to me is that Jinger referred to what Discovery created like it was done with CGI like The Lion King.  Isn't this a filmed documentary?  Wouldn't animals that are filmed look pretty damned realistic?  

I'll watch the Serengeti when it comes on Discovery, but my husband and I are going to the Serengeti later this year.  

• Upvote 6

I think folks should blur out random people in the background of pictures taken in public places. I don't want to be posted without my permission, may have said I was going somewhere else and there I am at The Lion King. Compulsive selfie takers (JinJer looking a you here) should be mindful of the privacy of others.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 14
  • Love 1

In LA for 5 minutes and hitting a red carpet! Sounds about right. There won't be too many that are on-brand for the cool conservative christian set, though? It's probably more than I would guess though.

I'd agree that Jinger has left Gothardism in the dust. (I'm not willing to get into the conversative/fundie definition debate). It's crazy to think that creationism is so common that believing it isn't enough to classify you as a fundamentalist though. Have JinJer ever talked about it publicly? I remember Ben posting articles "debunking" carbon dating and talking up the creationist museum. 

(Since Jinger and Jeremy will probably never poke the bear by advocating for the more controversial culture wars like Derick though and other martyrs of the cause it seems unlikely they would even wade into less hot button issues like evolution).

• Upvote 3

I think I've officially reached BEC mode with Jinger and Jeremy. I literally have nothing nice or even neutral to say about them. Everything they do annoys me now. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 12

I don't think Grace Community is a creationist church.  They're definitely Calvinistic.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

56 minutes ago, Smee said:

Wait, are you guys saying that Jinger is... free?

Do we need to rename the board? I vote Free Jordyn.

No. There definitely isn’t a consensus on her being “free” by any stretch of the imagination. ?

Personally, I do think they’ve likely left IBLP for the most part. I also genuinely believe they’re still fundies though. My definition stems from their actual beliefs rather than their outer appearances though - the fact that they’re very likely creationists, believing in legislating what others can do with their bodies and love lives, are disgustingly Transphobic, are anti-anyone who doesn’t believe exactly as they do, etc. That would mean that a good number of people in other religious groups - even pretty mainstream and accepted ones - are Fundies as well and I’m personally fine with defining them that way. Basically, if you’re attempting to force your harmful views onto others using political means then I personally consider you a fundamentalist, even if you look cute doing it.

• Upvote 23
  • I Agree 12

I guess no one ever told Jinger about flashback in make up? Jeremy's outfit with those shoes looks dumb. Sorry books, try again. 

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 2

JinJer are evangelical christians in my book, but I wouldn't necessarily call them fundamentalists anymore. As a person who identifies as Christian, I probably have a different feeling on it than others. 

I don't pay much attention to the spouses and their social media activity, but Jinger hasn't really promoted anything religious beyond their local church stuff and Jeremy's activities at seminary or conferences. But in terms of social issues and imposing your views on others, I don't remember them posting something about the Abbie Johnson movie or even posting about abortion after the NY law was passed.

I believe she one time posted something about helping at the crisis pregnancy center in Laredo, but in my experience, it takes a lot of critical thinking and secular exposure before you realize the problem with crisis pregnancy centers. I thought for a long time that it was a good idea, even when I was only voting for pro-choice politicians. And it seems like Jinger posted that when they first moved to Laredo.

I hate the "Statement on Social Justice" that Jeremy participated in with MacArthur and I think their brand of Christianity is exclusionary and wrong. But that statement does say, "WE DENY that political or social activism should be viewed as integral components of the gospel or primary to the mission of the church." 

I'm sure they mean woke social activism, but protesting transgender bathroom bills is political and social activism too. Maybe the Vuolos will just stay out of the fray and only preach their beliefs to the people that freely choose to walk in the church doors. (yes yes yes, I know that continuing to be on the show and not speaking out are active and passive supports of the dangerous fundie life.) 

• Upvote 8

48 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

JinJer are evangelical christians in my book, but I wouldn't necessarily call them fundamentalists anymore. As a person who identifies as Christian, I probably have a different feeling on it than others. 

But aren't they still hardcore creationists and homeschool supporters? [although I agree with others that Felicity could possibly actually end up in a Christian school]

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

I think Jinger is “freer” than one could have reasonably imagined she would be. She’s in LA attending premieres in skinny jeans and only has one child. This time next year she may well be photographed in yoga pants dropping Felicity off at nature preschool co-op. She is certainly going to be exposed to more than any of the rest of them and she has put thousands of miles between her and bank Daddy.

• Upvote 12

Grace Community is definitely creationist. From their website:

We teach the literal, grammatical-historical interpretation of Scripture which affirms the belief that the opening chapters of Genesis present creation in six literal days (Genesis 1:31; Exodus 31:17).

Edited by livinginthelight
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 7

13 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

I think folks should blur out random people in the background of pictures taken in public places. I don't want to be posted without my permission, may have said I was going somewhere else and there I am at The Lion King. Compulsive selfie takers (JinJer looking a you here) should be mindful of the privacy of others.

Some places overseas (e.g. Japan and the E.U.) it's the law: You have to get someone's permission before posting online a pic with them in it, if they're recognizable. This can make it more work to get your selfies or vacation photos, but I think it's a good idea.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, onyourwayhome said:

I think Jinger is “freer” than one could have reasonably imagined she would be. She’s in LA attending premieres in skinny jeans and only has one child. 

She only has one child but her child only just turned one year last week. She could easily announce she’s pregnant tomorrow, and her kids would only be about a year and a half apart.

It annoys me when people use it as an argument for Jinger being “freer” (you’re not the only one), because plenty of fundies have reached this stage without announcing a new pregnancy. 

If Felicity reaches 2.5-3 years old without a sibling, I’ll be impressed.

Edited by VBOY9977
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 10

Also Jinger is not "free" of patriarachy by any means. John Piper, in particular, is one of the most toxicley patriarchal preachers that I am aware of and Jeremy is swooning over him. 

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 10

I have no idea where the heck people are getting the idea that JinJer are no longer fundamentalist from.  Between John Piper and John MacArthur, they are basically swimming in toxic, patriarchal fundamentalism.  They just look pretty while they're doing it.  

I just want to add that I now consider JinJer to be on a similar level as JB and Michelle as far as dangerous fundamentalism.  While Jill and Derek are annoying, they have little influence outside of their circle and seem to be floundering a bit as a result of Jill's upbringing.  Jeremy, on the other hand is calculating, and obviously working towards fame and influence.  He absolutely believes all the same toxic shit that the Duggars do (just take a look at the beliefs of Piper and MacArthur and their churches), but can package it better and make it more appealing to a much larger audience.  

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 15
  • Thank You 1

20 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

In LA for 5 minutes and hitting a red carpet! Sounds about right.

I live in LA. There are red carpets literally every night. You don't have to be famous to be invited. You can walk the carpet if you want. Usually, there are PR interns willing to take a photo of you for your Instagram. Movies, TV shows, comedy shows, etc just want people (famous or not) to show up to events and create whatever buzz they can. It's really not a big deal. 

• Upvote 13
  • Thank You 10
  • Love 1

Let me clarify, she is freer from Jim Bob. She is free from teeny tiny Arkansas Duggar Country. She is able to see more of life outside of what is familiar to her than say Joy Anna is while scrubbing cabins. I never expected any of them to completely revolt from their religion. 

• Upvote 14

• Coconut Flan locked this topic