IGNORED

Jinjer 49: Westward Ho!

Coconut Flan

I think there's something about a cursed fig tree shrivelling up in the Bible.  It didn't produce the fruit Jesus wanted. Life lessson there maybe JinJer? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

I will take tornadoes over earthquakes any day. You know when a storm that could cause tornadoes is coming, you can watch radar and listen to the news, stay somewhere with a good basement, and be almost guaranteed safety. Plus they cover such small areas compared to earthquakes. Earthquakes happen, no warning, and it feels like the world is ending. Even tiny earthquakes are absolutely terrifying. The first earthquake I experienced was about the scariest thing I've ever experienced. The whole building shaking and swaying, doors opening, some small objects falling. I dont have the words to express how much it scared me. Subsequent experiences, even knowing what was happening, were still terrifying.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

Doesn't one of the most recent IG captions say "Maybe one day she'll follow in her daddy's footsteps"? I realize Jinger probably just means team sports in some ultra Christian private school (at best) but I'll still take it. Throw a bow on her head but let her play sports too, please. I don't even like sports but at least she'll get to experience something. 

As for tornadoes vs earthquakes? Hard pass on both. This FL girl will just take her hurricanes, thanks. I've got days to prepare to evacuate. We do get tornadoes spinning off but they're small.

• Upvote 17

Hurricanes are planned for and you can evacuate if it need be.  You can shelter from Tornadoes and Know when conditions are favorable for them. But Earthquakes just happen.. you are standing  on a street and suddenly the world starts shaking, the earth opens and buildings are falling. Well No thank you. This girl is going to stay in Tornado country.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

Blizzards... Blizzards are nice.

A small tornado F-1, I think, passed able a long block and a half from my parents' old house. Fortunately, I wasn't visiting them at the time- I would not have handled it well.

I've been in several earthquakes. The Hector Mine quake woke me up, and I had just gotten out of the shower but wasn't dressed when another quake around a 7 hit. I've also felt several smaller quakes. Not a fan of earthquakes.

I've been lucky the volcanic peaks I can see haven't erupted since I've lived here, although I remember Mt. St. Helen's erupting when I was a kid. Appreciate that eruptions are typically rare, but will pass on that experience.

I will pass on hurricanes as well.

Am also not a fan of flooding.

By default, blizzards are my favorite natural disaster.

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 6

So I gotta say... I'm visiting LA right now, and this conversation is making me nervous ?

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

6 minutes ago, AmericanRose said:

So I gotta say... I'm visiting LA right now, and this conversation is making me nervous ?

Did you feel the quakes tonight? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, grandmadugger said:

Did you feel the quakes tonight? 

Nope. But the people in the house did! Apparently they're harder to feel outside?

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

Just now, AmericanRose said:

Nope. But the people in the house did! Apparently they're harder to feel outside?

No clue. I’m a good midwestern girl and prefer my wrath of God in tornado form. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 16
  • I Agree 5

So far I've missed every earthquake. I was either asleep or at the hospital which is on the east-ish side of the valley. 

• Upvote 6

37 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

No clue. I’m a good midwestern girl and prefer my wrath of God in tornado form. 

I am also a Midwestern girl! Who decided to move to earthquake country (Seattle). As for what natural disaster I prefer... I'll take none, thanks!

The hospital is no good! :( But probably a good thing you didn't feel anything.

• Upvote 7

I went to Japan 2 days after 2011 earthquake.  I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of the sound of the steel on steel action during an earthquake/aftershock that the buildings produce (I much preferred the wood on wood sound).  I think building and infrastructure standards really make a difference where earthquakes are concerned.  I was comfortable that the infrastructure in Japan was  developed for high intensity earthquakes, I'm not comfortable that the infrastructure in my own country would deal with them that well (my country has reasonably frequent, but generally low intensity earthquakes, so most aren't felt at all).

I think Tornados are the one that I wouldn't want to live somewhere that they occur frequently.  They occur, they are highly destructive, and my understanding is that you get little notice.

A lot of Natural Disasters can have some mitigation for their effects in terms of loss of life in having appropriate building design, materials and location.

• Upvote 8

I moved from Chile back to the LA area recently. I feel like seismic activity is following me, haha. I felt both the earthquake this evening and the one yesterday morning, probably because I was sitting quietly at home both times.

While you can't change the suddenness of Earthquakes, you can prepare for them. I've found knowing where to go if an earthquake hits in your house/building/office/school/commute/etc  and having a general plan in the event of an Earthquake both works in terms of preventing panic during an actual earthquake and having a general peace of mind living in an earthquake-prone area: know where batteries, flashlights, emergency contact details, and a good pair of shoes are. Store extra jugs of water somewhere in advance (in the case of LA, but probably good advice anywhere). 

I will say that if you're in a basement or somewhere secure like that, tornados are much... cooler? More interesting to be in? To me, they're kind of a thrill to listen to. Earthquakes aren't like that- they're usually short.

• Upvote 6

We lived through the Christchurch, New Zealand quakes. Really doesn’t bear thinking about, it was horrific then and absolutely depressing now to think about. A family friend was killed in a building he couldn’t get out of in the Feb 2011 quake (185 killed). Kaikoura quakes in 2016 brought it all back, just when we thought we were on solid ground again [emoji20]

• Love 23

10 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

Hurricanes are planned for and you can evacuate if it need be.  You can shelter from Tornadoes and Know when conditions are favorable for them. But Earthquakes just happen.. you are standing  on a street and suddenly the world starts shaking, the earth opens and buildings are falling. Well No thank you. This girl is going to stay in Tornado country.  

I live in a place with no tornados, no earthquakes and no hurricanes. And free healthcare. ?

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 3

36 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I live in a place with no tornados, no earthquakes and no hurricanes. And free healthcare. ?

sounds like a lovely place

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

On 7/4/2019 at 7:06 PM, OldFadedStar said:

I’d prefer earthquakes. 

As long as I’m in a place designed to withstand them

I don't want either one (hurricanes either), which is why I stay in the boring area where I am. Nonetheless, I find the idea of the actual earth moving under me terrifying in a singular way.  I understand that the seeming solidity of the planet is an illusion, as it is constantly moving. Structures that seemingly have minimal damage after an earthquake can still be compromised and unsafe, as many have been grandfathered in and are not subject to modern, stricter building codes. 

Edited by SilverBeach
  • Upvote 4

I don't full understand their recent IG posts. Has Jinger actually seen Back to The Future? Is that actress a fundie? 

• Upvote 8

I'd rather deal with the slight possibility of earthquakes than with winter driving conditions (and, well, winter) every year.  You can remind me I said that if I ever am in an earthquake larger than 5.0 ;-).   

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I'd rather deal with the slight possibility of earthquakes than with winter driving conditions (and, well, winter) every year.

We do have winter, but hey it's ok with me. Not always snow and/or ice. Plus, I like cute boots and sweaters. How slight is slight? To me, it's kind of like the acceptable risk of having nuclear power plants. They were designed to rarely fail, but when they do, the results are catastrophic and last for generations. So, I don't think they should be built.

My sister moved to Hawaii two years ago with her partner. They have had lava slides, floods, you name it (and a nuclear attack scare, but that had nothing to do with the weather). I can't handle that kind of  instability. I did know a woman from the Philippines whose home village was right by a volcano. So there's that. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I don't full understand their recent IG posts. Has Jinger actually seen Back to The Future? Is that actress a fundie? 

I got the impression that the Vuolos just happened to go to the actress’s high end men’s resale shop. I’m somewhat amused by the thought of Jeremy buying used and saving the difference.

I just saw a comment on Jeremy’s Instagram that the actress Claudia Wells has a great love of the Lord so church must be their connection.

Edited by JDuggs
Wanted to add something.
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 5

On 7/2/2019 at 7:23 PM, fellowunfundie said:

According to insta, Jinger is now charging for shoutouts. $60 for a personalized birthday wish, or what have you. I'd snark but I'm kinda impressed at the ingenuity lol. Does seem like a slippery slope for Jinger, though--who has some change burning a hole in their pocket and wants to bite?

There is no ingenuity on the part of Jinger. This is actually a thing now. Usually it’s offered by D-list stars. I remember when one of the couples from 90 Day Fiance were doing it. Can’t remember their names but one of them was the guy from England  whose criminal record kept him out of coming to the US. I am embarrassed I know this useless information. 

I was on the phone when the first quake hit talking about Harry Potter. I didn’t even get up for that one or the one yesterday. The epicenter is far enough away that it isn’t going to do any damage here in Los Angeles so I am not worried. I heard it’s not even on the San Andreas fault so it’s fine.  I lived through the 94 Northridge quake and the Whittier one in the 80s. M I will take earthquakes over hurricanes and tornados any day. And least the earth stops quaking after a bit. Hurricanes and tornados freak me out. Big quakes are really rare here. We have quakes everyday but most are so tiny they will never be felt. The good thing about California is that we have such strict building codes that the newer buildings (from maybe the late 70s on) were built taking the earthquake into account. After the 94 quake, the older homes actually faired really well.

• Upvote 7

35 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

I got the impression that the Vuolos just happened to go to the actress’s high end men’s resale shop. I’m somewhat amused by the thought of Jeremy buying used and saving the difference.

I just saw a comment on Jeremy’s Instagram that the actress Claudia Wells has a great love of the Lord so church must be their connection.

Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): You post many religious sayings. Were you raised in a Christian household?

Claudia Wells: No, I wasn’t raised as a Christian. I didn’t even find out I was … I was raised to go to church Christmas and Easter, Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. When I was 15 and I starred in Herbie, the Love Bug (TV series) with Dean Jones, he chose me to sit down with as opposed to the other two kids on the series.

All he did was talk to me about God and about filling that hole in your heart with God, otherwise it’s going to be filled with men, drugs, and alcohol. Dean used to talk to me about discernment. Every Sunday he and his wife Lory would take my mom and me to The Church On The Way in Van Nuys, then we’d go to brunch. Through him I became born again and that has been my spiritual path ever since no matter what has been going on, good or bad in my life.

I’ve known that God always had His hand on me. He’s always sent people to help me and walk with me. I started going to Pastor Frank Wilson’s Christian Entertainer’s Fellowship when I was 18 and for the last 6 years I have attended his church called New Dawn Christian Village. I was in the choir for two and a half years and went to Bishop Blake’s West Angeles Church so God and Jesus are in my life.

Melissa Parker (Smashing Interviews Magazine): If acting was your life’s ambition, why did you leave it?

Claudia Wells: There was a lot of stuff going on at home, my mom was diagnosed with fourth stage cancer and that was right before Back to the Future II and Back to the Future III were to be filmed so I backed out of those films to deal with the turmoil at home. My mom eventually passed away and went to heaven. I traveled and had my kid 15 years ago.

I opened my store called Armani Wells 19 years ago in Studio City. It’s a high-end designer resale clothing store for men only. I sell very high-end expensive clothing at rock bottom prices. It’s like celebrity clothing that have only been worn once or they have been photographed in it and can’t wear it again. Everything is dry-cleaned. It’s current styles from jeans to tuxedos with accessories.

What costs $3,000 for an Armani or Versace suit new, you spend $300 or $400 on that same suit in my store. I ship clothes to people all over the world. I receive all of the emails and customers can make a personal appointment with me so I can style them. I’m absolutely brilliant at making guys look gorgeous and the price is right.

http://smashinginterviews.com/interviews/actors/claudia-wells-interview-back-to-the-future-celebrates-25th-anniversary

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 12

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

how about biblical plagues?

• Haha 10

I live very near the epicenter of the two recent large earthquakes in California. We are fine, but since the predictions are for more moving further in our direction on the fault line I’m bracing myself for stronger aftershocks. This part of the country is very rural and isolated, and even more so as you head northward, so getting help in becomes progressively harder. The plus is that we are far from a city, where earthquakes can be so much more damaging. Having grown up in Southern California, I am very familiar with the terror and anxiety earthquakes cause. I always measure them in my head with the San Fernando quake in February, 1971. I was a teenager when that one occurred, and I was knocked flat on my bottom trying to get to my brothers in the next room. There was significant damage done to our home, as well. Thankfully all is good right now so far for us. Praying for the folks in Ridgecrest.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 8

• Coconut Flan locked this topic