IGNORED

Jinjer 49: Westward Ho!

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Iamtheway said:

I only have facebook and I share pictures of Miniway sometimes, once a month maybe, definitly not more then that. My facebook is not public and I know everyone on my friends list but there are lots of random old class mates and people I worked with 15 years ago and I think about that before I share anything about him or myself. 

I never write things that are bad about parenting or dumb things he does. I only share photos where he looks good. I think a lot of kids will grow up having some sort of online presence but if Miniway or anyone he knows ever dig through my old facebook posts I don’t want them to find anything embarrasing. I’m sure he’ll find everything I do embarrasing at one point but isn’t that what parents are for? 

Yeah, we’ve been careful not to share anything we think could be seriously embarrassing or upsetting for her to see in the future. The whole thing just gives me anxiety though. I’m constantly concerned about who might be able to get access to my stuff even though we have very tight security settings. I just feel overly protective of her when it comes to the Internet, so I figure it’s best for us to just not share about her at this point. I’ll likely share a photo once our son is born, probably one of the two kids together if I can manage it. 

ETA: And for anyone still on the “Jinger Hair Color Mystery,” Jeremy shared a video to his Instagram stories the other day. It’s of Felicity riding on his rolling luggage outside a hotel (disclaimer: he rolled it slowly and had one hand on her back, so she was safe.) The film crew and Jinger are seen briefly and she clearly still has bright blonde hair showing from under her hat. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 5

My oldest is turning 15 this year and still does not have SM by his own choice. I find that amazing, but he does a lot of Whatsapp and Discord (and he has a secret twitter that he thought we didn't know about, but he uses it to follow not usually post things). I on the other hand have a FB and recently got an Insta. I kind of like that Insta has some major privacy settings and you cannot just save a photo, you would have to screen shot (which I know is a thing, I do it all the time on the hastags I follow for house inspo), which is where common sense of not posting embarrassing things to begin with comes in. I changed the settings on my FB a few years ago and discovered that you can give people "levels" of closeness so to say. I have two lists, friends and acquaintances. I post almost everything on a custom setting that post for "friends only except acquaintances". I still need to go back and scrub my FB, their are photos of my ex on their and some of my niece and nephew that I am sure their mom would be miffed about (though those are all locked down) and just general don't want my kid seeing that kind of silly post I made or changed my mind about a topic thing that needs deleted. I struggled with that though because I want to be an authentic person and not teach my kids to be ashamed about who they used to be, but then again, sometimes we should be ashamed, for example, of a previous opinion on a topic before we were really educated on it. I try to keep a balance. I also don't want my kid to google me and think "oh I have to live up to this sparkly image of my parents" because that could also be damaging. It is an interesting thing to need to worry about as a parent in our times, but I think the next generations will have a better handle on it from the get-go if we work hard at it and pass on this knowledge early. I have been telling my oldest "the internet is forever" for as long as he has been able to understand and as a result I feel really confident that makes a decent (not always on point) amount of good decisions regarding the internet.

• Upvote 5

22 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

. I kind of like that Insta has some major privacy settings and you cannot just save a photo, you would have to screen shot (which I know is a thing, I do it all the time on the hastags I follow for house inspo), which is where common sense of not posting embarrassing things to begin with comes in.

Just a heads up that you can save/download insta photos but it involves saving from the original source code. It's not simple and quick but it's not difficult either (I figured it out easy enough when I was trying to get a non screen shotted version of one of my photos from 3 cell phones ago) 

Again it's where the common sense comes in but it's good to know. 

• Thank You 9

I missed my window to edit and add this but to all the parents limiting their children's social media presence thank you and may Rufus richly bless you. 

I have a family member who went as far as to make a Facebook account for her toddler aged child in addition to posting videos of them sick, having tantrums etc. 

It was the most uncomfortable. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 1

3 hours ago, LacyMay said:

I missed my window to edit and add this but to all the parents limiting their children's social media presence thank you and may Rufus richly bless you. 

I have a family member who went as far as to make a Facebook account for her toddler aged child in addition to posting videos of them sick, having tantrums etc. 

It was the most uncomfortable. 

I personally never understood people making facebook pages for their young children. Why does a 2 year old need a facebook page? Can't mom or dad just post pictures on their own page? No offense to anyone who does this, I just don't get it. 

• I Agree 12

@LacyMay Oh that I did not know about (just had mine for a year this past week). I will be extra careful. Shame though, that is one of things I love/hate about FB (I lost some photos a while back and got them back because I could save from FB again, but I found out my cousin just stole a photo of me and my brothers and had it on her insta for years without ever asking so yeah). Thank for the heads up!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sullie06 said:

I personally never understood people making facebook pages for their young children. Why does a 2 year old need a facebook page? Can't mom or dad just post pictures on their own page? No offense to anyone who does this, I just don't get it. 

In this case it has to do with the family member being mildly narcissistic and they get for posting "cute kid" pictures. They have also been known to use the child as leverage to basically do whatever they want (being up your concerns about xyz you don't get to see kid anymore) I pretty much cut myself off from all of it but last I heard it was a bit of a flaming heap of nuclear waste. 

@StraightOuttaArkansas I've never tried it with someone elses photos but like I said it takes some doing. You would really need to be commited to taking the photo and dedicated enough to Google how to go the source code route. It's more of a "the internet is forever" cautionary tale. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

I know a bunch of people who have fb pages for their pets. Maybe their pets are exciting but all my cat does is eat, run around the house like the Tasmanian devil for about an hour in the evening, and sleep. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10
  • Love 2

@fluffernutter,  we always called that time when our cats streaked through the house in the evenings the midnight crazies.  Adagio, in particular, was famous for the midnight crazies when she was a kitten, but she grew out of it. 

Edited by PennySycamore
fixing spelling error
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

Seems like Jinger is really into hats ever since she got her hair dyed. 

Sun can make bleached hair brassy--hats would be her friend

• Upvote 2

One of my cats runs around,very playful and excited,in the morning..when they wake me from my restful slumber...lol.

They start with sharpening claws on Mr Melon's shoes,getting in my face,sitting on my nightstand,knocking books off the bookshelf...etc.

They run when someone rings the doorbell or if I open the hall closet..where their carrier  is kept.

They can be expensive and annoying,but we love them all,dearly.

• Love 10

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@fluffernutter,  we always called that time when our cats streaked through the house in the evenings the midnight crazies.  Adagio, in particular, was famous for the midnight crazies when she was a kitten, but she grew out of it. 

We refer to it as the zoomies* which my dog luckily only gets during the day.

*my phone wants to autocorrect to zombies ?

3 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I know a bunch of people who have fb pages for their pets. Maybe their pets are exciting but all my cat does is eat, run around the house like the Tasmanian devil for about an hour in the evening, and sleep. 

I have an Instagram account for my dog. Just cute pictures and videos of him. I dont post super often, but I love to show him off.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

37 minutes ago, melon said:

They run when someone rings the doorbell

OK good! So mine are normal?? I have never owned cats that do this. My 3 scatter even if it's a doorbell on TV. Crazies. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Now that they're in California, does this mean Felicity's screen time is limited? If so, good for her. 

Answering my own question, they will need a permit for her to work, and must follow the guidelines below. 

Under California child labor laws, infants under the age of 6 months may only work between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 11: 30 a.m. or between 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m

Youth who are at least 6 months old but are not yet 2 years old may remain at the place of employment for a maximum of four 4 hours per day and may work for no more than 2 hours, with the remaining amount of time spent either in rest and recreation

California definition of "Entertainment Industry" which Counting On will definitely fall:

California child labor laws define the entertainment industry as “any organization, or individual, using the services of any minor in: motion pictures of any type (film, videotape, etc.), using any format (theatrical, film, commercial documentary, television program, etc.), by any medium (theater, television, videocassette, etc.); photography; recording; modeling; theatrical productions; publicity; rodeos; circuses; musical performances; and any other performances; and any other performances where minors perform to entertain the public.” 8 CCR 11751

Serious question: if her parents film her at home and hand over the footage to TLC ala Jill/Der and Central America, would that be a loophole? Or would there be repercussions since "film for television" still falls under the entertainment industry laws? Will be interesting. 

• Upvote 13

I think Those laws only apply if FV is filmed in CA...if they scoot over the state line into NV, AZ, AR...the CA rules do not apply.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, LacyMay said:

In this case it has to do with the family member being mildly narcissistic and they get for posting "cute kid" pictures. They have also been known to use the child as leverage to basically do whatever they want (being up your concerns about xyz you don't get to see kid anymore) I pretty much cut myself off from all of it but last I heard it was a bit of a flaming heap of nuclear waste. 

The worst. I'm glad you were able to distance yourself. I feel for that child, nobody wants to grown up with a narcissistic asshole as a parent. 

15 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

Same. My cat would have the most boring facebook ever. Though if he had the ability to write it it would likely be filled with random inspirational quotes because he seems like the type lol

• Haha 9

16 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Our cat does that in the AM--we call it Zooming-- or  "Bobcattin'"--because he likes to howl and pretend he's a fierce little bobcat.

I also call him gvhe  ("Bobcat" in Cherokee, pronounced "guh-hay" in English") He also loves to thump up and down the wooden stairs as loudly as possible.

PS The website of Jeremy's church in laredo is a sloppy mess--look at the stock language at the bottom of this page: https://www.gcclaredo.com/ministries/ --and the events calendar is empty

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

PS The website of Jeremy's church in laredo is a sloppy mess--look at the stock language at the bottom of this page: https://www.gcclaredo.com/ministries/ --and the events calendar is empty

Losing Jeremy, Jinger, and Felicity means they lost a good 1/5 of their congregation, so I guess it’s time for the church to shut down. :P 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 12

19 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I mean, in all honesty, my personal FB page is pretty much my dog's. He's all I post. I am *that* dog mom. ?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

Predicting now that Counting On will only document JinJer's "culture shock" in the most dull, phony, and unenlightening way possible. It'll be like a 120-minute episode of Jinger and Jeremy going to a health food store and being disgusted with Romanesco broccoli. Endless talking heads with the younger siblings (who's your favorite Academy Award Winner for Best Production Design? what color would you dye your hair? do you prefer humongous-ass bows or humongous-ass hats?) Zero mention of what they think about living around immodest women, gay people who are NOT committed to a faithful single life of celibacy, and the Hillsong hordes.

• Upvote 20
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 2

On 6/27/2019 at 2:25 PM, fluffernutter said:

I'm totally that dog mom who has an Instagram for my dog, it was because my Instagram was all pictures of Furry May and I wanted people to have the option of all dog pics all the time (this also means I can make his account public and keep mine private). Plus this way I can follow other pet related accounts from his account and keep my private account with a lower following number. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

On 6/28/2019 at 10:11 AM, Casserole said:

Now that they're in California, does this mean Felicity's screen time is limited? If so, good for her. 

Answering my own question, they will need a permit for her to work, and must follow the guidelines below. 

California definition of "Entertainment Industry" which Counting On will definitely fall:

Serious question: if her parents film her at home and hand over the footage to TLC ala Jill/Der and Central America, would that be a loophole? Or would there be repercussions since "film for television" still falls under the entertainment industry laws? Will be interesting. 

I’m curious how it works for reality tv filmed IN her home. She may “remain at the place of employment for 4 hours” but it’s not like she’s going to leave once 4 hours are up. Maybe that limits how many hours the cameras can be at JinJer’s place, even for set up etc? Still, if she can be working for 2hrs a day that’s plenty of time for TLC to get some footage of Jeremy dealing with a diaper blow out or Felicity eating an ice-cream or whatever mundane crap they show.

I have an Instagram account under my author pen name, which I don’t want to be easily linked to my family, so I don’t post pictures of my kids there. We got kittens in January and I’m pretty sure there’s now as many cat pics as there are anything else... maybe I should set up Instagram for my cats.

• Upvote 7

According to insta, Jinger is now charging for shoutouts. $60 for a personalized birthday wish, or what have you. I'd snark but I'm kinda impressed at the ingenuity lol. Does seem like a slippery slope for Jinger, though--who has some change burning a hole in their pocket and wants to bite?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF 7
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 2

35 minutes ago, fellowunfundie said:

According to insta, Jinger is now charging for shoutouts. $60 for a personalized birthday wish, or what have you. I'd snark but I'm kinda impressed at the ingenuity lol. Does seem like a slippery slope for Jinger, though--who has some change burning a hole in their pocket and wants to bite?

I'm so perplexed by the thought that Jinger thinks she is "celebrity" enough that people would pay her for a shout out. I'm even more horrified at the people who are desperate enough to pay her to do it (sincerely that is). Are the Voulos realizing how expensive California is?? 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic