IGNORED

M is for Mama 4: S is for Shaving Shiloh

Georgiana

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

In a family that does not control family size, I don’t understand the decision of built ins. Unless there is a way to keep adding more rooms or built ins...or will they just move again?

That house is so enormous that she could easily fit more beds in the kid rooms. Even if she has all boys from here on out, she can keep adding beds and even bedrooms. Those 4 boy beds will likely be used for many years. If she never has another girl there is only one extra built in bed in their room. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bea said:

Oh, she’ll just add on a room if she needs it.
emoji854.png

I can’t imagine adding onto that enormous house! It’s so big already! It’s actually plenty of space for 10 people. I’m so used to fundies cramming 10 people in a 1500 sq ft home that it’s just mind boggling when a fundie actually has more than enough room for their big family. 

• Upvote 4

In the blog post with the floor plan she mentions that she can fit more beds in the rooms if needed.  There's also a windowless guest room downstairs she said could be used for an older child if needed.

• Thank You 1

26 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

In the blog post with the floor plan she mentions that she can fit more beds in the rooms if needed.  There's also a windowless guest room downstairs she said could be used for an older child if needed.

Where do they live?  In my state, a bedroom must have two forms of egress, usually a door and a window big enough to climb through in an emergency.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Flossie said:

Where do they live?  In my state, a bedroom must have two forms of egress, usually a door and a window big enough to climb through in an emergency.

Rural East Texas.

• Thank You 1

23 minutes ago, Flossie said:

If they sell the house, they can’t list it as a bedroom. However they can use it as a bedroom. It’s not like police go around checking homes in the middle of the night to make sure everyone is sleeping in a room with  a window. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

For anyone else curious about this house size and layout, here is her blog with the floor plans: http://misformama.net/2016/04/our-house-layout.html

I have no idea what the square footage is, but I'd ballpark it at 8000 square feet.

If you just look at pictures, it looks like every non bedroom enclosed room is a study, but she thoroughly explains it in the post. And then omg there are 10 pages of posts after this one about picking lighting fixtures and everything.

• Haha 3

I've said it before and I'll say it again - that floor plan gives me the willies.

Two of the upstairs bedrooms only have door exits into another bedroom.  Somehow, considering that she hasn't found the motivation to buy a baby gate, I seriously doubt that every kid's bedroom has an under-the-bed fire ladder and that they've been taught how to safely use them.  So if there were a fire in the connecting bedrooms, the kids in the outside ones would have no choice but to jump out the window.  

This is a floor plan made by people who think nothing bad (a house fire) is ever going to happen to them.  The large number of small children in the house who are unsupervised by an adult a LOT of the time exponentially raises the chances of an accident.

And when they're a bunch of teenagers who crave privacy and someone has to constantly go in someone else's room to get to their own...yeah, that's going to go over REALLY well.  Not.

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

1 hour ago, danvillebelle said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - that floor plan gives me the willies.

Two of the upstairs bedrooms only have door exits into another bedroom.  Somehow, considering that she hasn't found the motivation to buy a baby gate, I seriously doubt that every kid's bedroom has an under-the-bed fire ladder and that they've been taught how to safely use them.  So if there were a fire in the connecting bedrooms, the kids in the outside ones would have no choice but to jump out the window.  

This is a floor plan made by people who think nothing bad (a house fire) is ever going to happen to them.  The large number of small children in the house who are unsupervised by an adult a LOT of the time exponentially raises the chances of an accident.

And when they're a bunch of teenagers who crave privacy and someone has to constantly go in someone else's room to get to their own...yeah, that's going to go over REALLY well.  Not.

The "bedrooms" that you have to walk through to get to the other bedrooms aren't actually bedrooms, but playrooms. All the kids save the toddlers are in the outside bedrooms.

• Upvote 2

I can walk past a full length mirror now and I’m more likely to say, “I look strong!” than I am to cut myself down. It’s taken a tremendous amount of work to get there, though. I couldn’t get through her entire body-hate post. I agree it’s a current struggle. I used to talk to myself like that.

Now I wouldn’t even be able to write all of it out. I’m not saying she struggles with body image only because she typed it all out, but because she never really got around to saying how she can honestly tell herself she’s strong or beautiful or confident or whatever. I feel sad for her. She sounds like she’s still caught up in body shaming and down right self-hatred. My .02. It’d be great if I’m wrong. 

• Upvote 3

When I look in a mirror (like its not a regular thing) my first thoughts are usually "damn girl, you look like shit, get some sleep" and "when's the last time you took a shower??"

However, life is upside down and inside out so hopefully eventually I won't look like exhausted hammered dog shit and I'll once again shower on a regular basis. 

• Love 16

@danvillebelle you are so right. And even if they had a hallway all the way to the back bunk rooms, you are still so far from the stairwell! She talked about how one of the ways they save money on their home building is that they don't have to pay all the permits they would need within city limits. I tend to wonder if a city code might have required a second stairwell for a structure that large. They could have had metal spiral stairs down from the "playroom" on each wing to the main floor mudroom/laundry and the workshop respectively. 

Unfortunately since they don't go to outside school, they'll never be challenged by a firefighter to make a family emergency plan!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

15 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

@danvillebelle you are so right. And even if they had a hallway all the way to the back bunk rooms, you are still so far from the stairwell! She talked about how one of the ways they save money on their home building is that they don't have to pay all the permits they would need within city limits. I tend to wonder if a city code might have required a second stairwell for a structure that large. They could have had metal spiral stairs down from the "playroom" on each wing to the main floor mudroom/laundry and the workshop respectively. 

Unfortunately since they don't go to outside school, they'll never be challenged by a firefighter to make a family emergency plan!

I’m surprised she hasn’t put in a slide from the second floor to the first floor. She seems to want to be the “fun mom.” And she could make it look Pinteresting.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

I took another look at the house plans, and I was instantly redesigning it in my head. There’s so much wasted space, and I hatehatehate that guest room that has no windows. What’sHisName spends so much time away from the house for work; what the hell does he do in that gigantic workshop?  I’d reduce the size, move the bathroom, switch the office and bedroom, and reconfigure the passage between that whole area. 

The whole upstairs needs a do-over. There are 2 studies, 2 family rooms, and 2 play rooms.  So 6 common rooms and 3 bedrooms.  Add at least one more stairway, preferably two. reduce the play rooms to give the bedrooms hallway access, turn the big study into a bedroom and put the baby in the little study (Give Braggie the current nursery that’s behind her closet; she can hide in there and play with her accessories).  There’s already a big study downstairs that looks like a school room. If the kids need quiet spaces, they’ll find places they like; the office would be a good start when What’sHisName is away. 

And get what looks like a fire pit Away. From. The. Structure. It’s in a little alcove surrounded by two walls and a deck/upper sunroom that looks like a house fire waiting to happen. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

@catlady the little study next to the stairs is the toddler/preschooler room. It just says study. 

I think it’s weird that Shaun has a workshop *and* an office and then Abbie has a craft room upstairs (the bigger study room in the bottom right corner).

The guest bedroom with no windows is terrible. I’d use Shaun’s office for the guest bedroom.

My high school was built in the late 60s and they had large open areas for some new agey teaching method. But the teachers hated it and eventually they put up walls. But they didn’t add hallways, so several classrooms could only be accessed by walking through one or two other rooms. Not helping the matter was that some of our classes were two period blocks and some were traditional single periods, so you’d sometimes be walking through and ongoing class to get to the hall. That is was this floor plan is. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

Who in their right mind builds a house with windowless rooms?  Unless those rooms are pantries or walk-in closets.

Because you know they will sell eventually and build an even larger kitschy, anthro-wannabee, pinterest-y house -- Who in their tight mind would buy a house with a windowless bedroom?  

Braggie's house may look McMansion brag-worthy from the outside, but it's a poorly designed, stupidly laid out, possibly dangerous warren of rooms conducive to a very bad event happening.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5

That floor plan, WTAF. Agree with everyone's remodeling - also what is the large thing in the garage behind the wheelbarrow?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

That floor plan, WTAF. Agree with everyone's remodeling - also what is the large thing in the garage behind the wheelbarrow?

That looks like a riding mower. Which they probably need since they live out in the country and have to mow a lot of grass. 

• Thank You 3

I don’t understand why she sees not having to comply with city/safety codes as a good thing. Codes are there because usually at some point something tragic happened and people made sure that the tragedy wouldn’t happen again. Or they’re there for just common sense. I would be afraid to sleep overnight in that house.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

Ezra: third parent

Simon: family cook

grandma: fourth parent and gardener 

Shawn: human bank account

Braggie: baby maker

B085630F-DEAF-4A36-B5CA-3D84B712478B.jpeg

• Upvote 4

“I do believe my work is done here, folks.”

errr, more like your mom (the actual homeschooler) has thrown herself into helping another grandchild make it to survival-with-Abbie skill level 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

They will NEVER be able to sell this house. Yikes. Bad investment. Her house is another TTH situation, but actually worse...

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

She made me so angry with the laundry room post. Someone asked in the comments whether she hangs her laundry out to dry, given that she lives in a hot, sunny place. Nope. She uses the dryer for all of it. Thanks Abbie! Your family of 10 is destroying the planet with all that exessive energy use.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic