IGNORED

Lori Alexander 66: An Assortment of Cheap Whines

19 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

I know I dump on y'all...but this is my "safe place". I'm just trying to deal. It all sucks ass and I'm angry, sad, grieving, depressed, you name it, I'm feeling it. Life just sucks sometimes. 

You do what you need to do, including venting. We're here for you. :group-hug:

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 12
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

Thread drift, but if you are looking for a new show, I'm loving Gentleman Jack on HBO

We don’t have HBO but if y’all have any other viewing recommendations send them my way please! After a long time of trying (and failing miserably) to manage fibroids, cysts and endometriosis, I am scheduled for an endometrial ablation one week from today. I’m told the recovery is fairly quick - 2 or 3 days of rest, really - but my plan is to post up in bed and watch TV. 

And I certainly don’t intend to drift into the latest laws that have been passed but I’m having this procedure done in Alabama. With the full support of my husband, this procedure will essentially knock out the possibility of any more biological children for us (we’re done anyway, we have three boys - a teenage stepson who graduates high school in two weeks, a six year old about to finish kindergarten and my “baby” just turned four.) So the irony is not lost on me that I am able to make this decision for myself, bodily autonomy if you will, in a place that at the same time seeks to control decisions such as these for so many other women and girls. Am I so different because it’s not an abortion that I am seeking? I don’t see it that way - all I’m doing is making a decision about my reproductive health. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 18

@FloraBama, I “celebrated” my 45th birthday by having an endometrial ablation, and it was the smartest thing I ever did for myself! They put me under at 1 PM, and by 5:30 I was putting on my jeans to go home. Yes, recovery was quick, but don’t push yourself: I took the recommended time off work, but decided to go teach my night class. Bad idea—it knocked me on my butt.

Best wishes for a speedy, comfortable recovery! 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

F720CA37-4C3D-45FE-A3F5-88BB59BB2210.thumb.png.2d55c7392b05385a504618046589522c.png

I didn’t realize a negative review automatically meant a false one. Lori twist and turns everything to fit her agenda. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Does anyone else think that review was written by Ken? 

"...THOUSANDS of women..." "...doctrinal insight in their VENOM..." 

Ken loves to speak in terms of thousands, even MILLIONS!!!!ELEVENTY!!!! He also loves the word "venom."  

Regarding Amazon reviews in general; is it common for people to respond to other reviewers and argue like this? I know at first Lori was responding to all the negative reviews and acting like a snotty child.  I've never really read enough reviews to know if this kind of nonsense is normal. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4

@FloraBama - I hope your endometrial ablation goes well for you. My daughter has dealt for years with what we think is endometriosis and needs to work more with her doctors on treatment options. Is a couple days of rest after treatment usually required?

If you have Netflix, we just finished watching Dead to Me. It's fantastic! If you're a fan of British shows, I have a whole list of ones on Netflix I'm happy to share. I also finished watching The Act on Hulu. I caution this one because it's based off a true story of abuse. It was a fascinating watch though. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

I read an article about the Pearls by a Christian with complementarian views. He reviewed Created to be His Helpmeet and basically said that there was lazy exegesis and it did not reflect back to the Gospel. He also criticized the overall tone of the book. Since Lori lives her life by the Pearl Doctrine, I’m sure someone like him will dislike her book also. It’s a stretch to say any of the reviews are false. Any person with sufficient understanding of the Bible (or general critical thinking skills) will probably not like this book.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Lgirlrocks said:

F720CA37-4C3D-45FE-A3F5-88BB59BB2210.thumb.png.2d55c7392b05385a504618046589522c.png

I didn’t realize a negative review automatically meant a false one. Lori twist and turns everything to fit her agenda. 

Funny, embittered is exactly how I would describe Lori.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 14
  • Love 1

One commenter said she bought Lori's book and the Pearl's helpmeet book as a wedding gift for her neighbor. If I had received those books as a gift, they would have been burned of the gift giver's lawn.

And John Macgregor's anti semitic comment is still up a day later and liked by three fellow racists and Lori leg humpers.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4

3 hours ago, ColeJo said:

I read an article about the Pearls by a Christian with complementarian views. He reviewed Created to be His Helpmeet and basically said that there was lazy exegesis and it did not reflect back to the Gospel. He also criticized the overall tone of the book.

Evangelical pastor Tim Challies, as complementarian as they come, says:

From the first page of Created To Be His Help Meet to the last, Debi Pearl shows that she is an unsuitable mentor; her counsel is too often foolish, her words too often harsh, her grasp of Scripture and theology inadequate and, not surprisngly then, her grasp of the utter centrality of the gospel almost completely missing. I would recommend avoiding this book at all costs.

I wonder what he would have to say about Lori's blog and book. 

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Hane said:

Best wishes for a speedy, comfortable recovery! 

Thank you! ?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, KatBonD said:

@FloraBama - I hope your endometrial ablation goes well for you. My daughter has dealt for years with what we think is endometriosis and needs to work more with her doctors on treatment options. Is a couple days of rest after treatment usually required?

If you have Netflix, we just finished watching Dead to Me. It's fantastic! If you're a fan of British shows, I have a whole list of ones on Netflix I'm happy to share. I also finished watching The Act on Hulu. I caution this one because it's based off a true story of abuse. It was a fascinating watch though. 

Yes, from what I understand a day or two of solid rest and then easing back into your normal routine. Light exercise (but no heavy lifting) to help with soreness and then a follow up with the doctor around 4-6 weeks out. Seems almost like the instructions you’re given post birth. There are a few procedural options (depending on what your provider offers) and I’m having a hydrothermal ablation so I’ve been given all the information for that specific procedure. I would think that the recovery time would be similar if other ablation methods are used. 

And yes! We have Netflix and Dead to Me was recommended...I went to add it to my watchlist and got sucked into the first few episodes. I’m trying to save the rest for next week. But bring on ALL the British shows and irreverent comedies (Schitts Creek is one of my all-time favorites). We also have the PBS app on our streaming device so I can hopefully catch up on the last season of Call the Midwife and a few other documentaries. Thanks in advance!!

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, FloraBama said:

I am scheduled for an endometrial ablation one week from today. I’m told the recovery is fairly quick - 2 or 3 days of rest, really - but my plan is to post up in bed and watch TV. 

I had an ablation 3 years ago and it was the best decision ever!  The first day was a little crampy.  I was told to take it easy for a few days, not hard since I'm disabled, but the day they did it and maybe 1/2 the next day there was pain, but after that I was fine, painwise

For netflix recs, if you haven't watched The Sinner I highly recommend it.    I ended up binging the whole thing in one sitting.   Jessica Biel and Bull Pullman were both fantastic.    There is some minor violence, but it's not super gory.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

I can recommend Jane the Virgin. Silly and sweet and very bingable. I love it.     

British shows.

Last Tango in Halifax. Multi-generation show with equal importance on all the ages of the characters.

Death in Paradise. Set on an island in the Caribbean a British detective solves murders. No gruesomeness and you see tons of English actors from other shows and movies.

Happy Valley. Very intense and gritty show. Fabulous acting and stories.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

12 minutes ago, Curious said:

For netflix recs, if you haven't watched The Sinner I highly recommend it.    I ended up binging the whole thing in one sitting.   Jessica Biel and Bull Pullman were both fantastic.    There is some minor violence, but it's not super gory.

Oooooh and Jessica Biel leads to thoughts of Justin Timberlake so yes please. ? ?

Thank you. And I’m glad you also had a positive outcome from your ablation. I’m looking forward to getting it done and moving on from this monthly battle. 

• Upvote 3

On Netflix - Street Food

6? 8? Episodes in different locations where street food is an important part of culture and everyday life. They focus on one particular vendor and weave his/her story around other shorter vignettes of other vendors. Many have a long family history in the street food business. All are people to be admired for what they have gone through and accomplished and their outlook on life. It's like Anthony Bourdain meets the British Bakeoff (in the way things are presented, obviously no competitions or things like that). My only criticism is sometimes they talk about a food item like hung rice that they never explain what it is or why it is different - I would watch double the show length to learn more about the foods themselves and the histories - you get some, but not all. I was so disappointed when I finished all of the available episodes!

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, ColeJo said:

It’s a stretch to say any of the reviews are false. Any person with sufficient understanding of the Bible (or general critical thinking skills) will probably not like this book.

I actually bought the book, read it and gave an honest review (negative)....If I would have found it to be helpful at all, I would have honestly said that.  But it was terrible in the message, organization, and writing. 

7 hours ago, livinglongerthanyou said:

One commenter said she bought Lori's book and the Pearl's helpmeet book as a wedding gift for her neighbor. If I had received those books as a gift, they would have been burned of the gift giver's lawn.

I saw that, too.  If I had friend buying me those books as wedding gifts, I'd say you need to find some new friends. 

• Upvote 11

I liked the review when the individual talked about the bad structure before talking about content. I'm curious how bad her upcoming book will be. It does make me very curious, but I've read the blog, so I know how scatter-brained her thought process is. I don't want to buy the book, but it would be interesting to read it and find what's clearly against the Bible and what is the misuse of scripture.

Edited by ColeJo
  • Upvote 8

Netflix binges:  Santa Clarita Diet.  It's a little gross but damn hilarious.  I'm not so patiently waiting for The Handmaid's Tale, Harlots, and Outlander.  THT will be here in a couple weeks, I need to check and see when the other two are scheduled.  

Hugs to @Hane and @feministxian.  (they didn't tag for some weird reason...) 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

30 minutes ago, ColeJo said:

I liked the review when the individual talked about the bad structure before talking about content. I'm curious how bad her upcoming book will be. It does make me very curious, but I've read the blog, so I know how scatter-brained her thought process is. I don't want to buy the book, but it would be interesting to read it and find what's clearly against the Bible and what is the misuse of scripture.

Yes, the structure is horrible. I read it and wrote a review back in 2016. The thing about the review on 5/10/19 it talks about the sarcastic negative reviews but they disregard my review and others like mine where the review is about structure and content of the book. Her defenders don't say a word about how it her book is Biblical. Lori and her fans want us (the critics) to specific but they can't manage to back their points up. Zero thinking over on that side. 

Someone asked about the back and forth between reviewers, no that is not normal. I am one of the ones that has rebutted. When her book first came out Lori and her defenders went out to threaten bad reviewers (I went as far as to have an admin here at FJ to see if they could figure out who I was by my amazon handle) so that is what started several of us to call out her 5-star reviews - especially the ones that haven't read the book. 

23 hours ago, fransalley said:

I was born in Harlan County, Kentucky, but grew up  in Florida.  My parents are both from Harlan.

First thing I thought of was American Hollow (documentary film by Rory Kennedy). I think one of the family members goes to live in Harlan or visits it. I see that Bowling family actually lived in or near Saul in Perry County, the county North of Harlan.  

• Upvote 6

If you have Hulu, Catch 22 is good.  It's only 6 episodes but it's helping to bridge the time until The Handmaids Tale season 3 is released.  

Harlots isn't released until July 17.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

The all caps supportive review reads exactly like Deanna FanGirl.  

On today's post, thank you, DeeAnn, for telling me about the roll of women (like cinnamon or crescent?).  And Flicka, yesterday, thank you for warning me against playing musical beds with many men every month.  Deanna, DeAnn, Flicka and Lori make a good miserable, old hags quartet.

ETA on another topic:  Yesterday, a beautiful woman of God that I've known for more than 20 years passed away.  She was 50-years-old.  She was brilliant, loving, compassionate, beautiful, giving, and a bright beacon to others.  Her work as a nurse and chief nursing officer changed the lives of thousands over the span of her career.  Today, I honor her as someone who would have held up her hand to Lori and said "Girl, just stop it.  Don't be so foolish."  These are the women we need to remember as the real women of transformation.

Edited by wallysmommy
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 14

2 hours ago, Botkinetti said:

British shows.

Last Tango in Halifax. Multi-generation show with equal importance on all the ages of the characters.

I really need our local PBS station to show this again. They only showed each episode once, and I missed at least 2. We don't have Wi-Fi, so I don't think I can use the streaming service. In any case, I can agree wholeheartedly with your recommendation!

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I know I dump on y'all...but this is my "safe place". I'm just trying to deal. It all sucks ass and I'm angry, sad, grieving, depressed, you name it, I'm feeling it. Life just sucks sometimes. 

It does suck. I am so very sorry. 

11 hours ago, KatBonD said:

I just started Dead to Me. I'd love to hear your British show recs! 

On Hulu I'm caught up with The Handmaid's Tale & finished The Act. I had just listened to a true Crime podcast episode about Gypsy Rose right before the series came out. I found it fascinating. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic