IGNORED

Lori Alexander 66: An Assortment of Cheap Whines

I'm sorry, I know I'm always a little behind the current conversation. The bits about Ken referring to his mobile home as "substandard living" have had my brain circling since I read it. 

I was raised in a 14x70 that was roughly 10 years old when my parents bought it. We originally lived in a trailer park & moved to my mother's family land after my father's heart attacks. In both communities, such dwellings are not just common, they are the norm. My mom has always made a big deal over the fact that my sister & I live in 'houses'. Prior to my 30's ...I never really considered mobile homes to be anything less than a standard built house.  I've seen big slab homes be just as trashy as old double-wides. To me it's not the structure but those who dwell within. 

They are more difficult to maintain, particularly old models because the parts are not standard. Sink drains & such are a different animal & there are usually specialty stores for mobile homes.  

Kens privilege is showing big time there. Having supposedly been raised a poor kid, you'd think he'd have a smidge of awareness. Pretty much everyone starts out in less than ideal living. They didn't so anything new or spectacular.  So he find his professional niche & made enough money to have 6 people living comfortably in SoCal. Good for you. Now STFU. Yall. Ain't. Special. 

Hell I know people who live in "substandard housing" that make just as much money. They simply put that money toward other things. The million dollar house in the 'right' subdivision isn't their priority. 

These two make me tired. Their blindness is astounding. 

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 7

1 hour ago, Imrlgoddess said:

Kens privilege is showing big time there. Having supposedly been raised a poor kid, you'd think he'd have a smidge of awareness. Pretty much everyone starts out in less than ideal living. They didn't so anything new or spectacular.  So he find his professional niche & made enough money to have 6 people living comfortably in SoCal. Good for you. Now STFU. Yall. Ain't. Special. 

I know!

Being "poor" when you're a grad student is worlds different than being poor in your 40's with a bunch of kids and only low wage jobs to work at.

All college students lived/live like Ken and Lori did back then.  I certainly did.  It's a right of passage.  They knew it wouldn't last forever.

And at least they had the safety net of their parents to fall back on if needed, especially Lori's parents.

ETA:  And wanted to add, iirc, that trailer was given to them by Lori's parents, meaning they likely didn't have to pay rent.  Not a bad deal.

Edited by kpmom
  • Upvote 18
  • I Agree 6

Here's substandard living that we made the best of, but my parents didn't choose to have eleventy bazillion kids.  We lived in a shotgun double in Lower NInth Ward New Orleans in the early 60s.  Hurricane Betsy came through and I remember the walls of the house shaking from the wind.  We were fortunate it didn't collapse.  We lived there for another year before we moved to a two-bedroom apartment.  We were able to move to a better house because both my parents worked.  They trusted in God, but they also knew my mom had talents and skills that made her very marketable in the oil industry as a drafter in the 1960s and 1970s. 

With Lori's tangent on debt, I wonder how much they paid in total for Alyssa's dance lessons and all of the accompanying expenses?  Probably more than her fan girls make in a year.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

4 hours ago, SongRed7 said:

Not to mention it is the epitome of laziness to only make same things day after day after day.  Lori is always preaching that women should cater to men and what they like. While this might be good once or twice a week, I know I’d get sick of this pretty darn quick if that’s the only thing I had day after day after day. 

Make a meatloaf once in a while, Lori!

As a wise person once said, “Even filet mignon tastes like Burger King if you eat it every day.”

Until I was 12, I lived in a single-wide, and if I could afford it, I wouldn’t mind living in a well-maintained older mobile home that was modified for my needs(a walk-in shower instead of a tub and ramps at the doors).  I’ve seen some nicely renovated vintage trailers.

Edited by smittykins
  • Upvote 12

48 minutes ago, wallysmommy said:

With Lori's tangent on debt, I wonder how much they paid in total for Alyssa's dance lessons and all of the accompanying expenses?  Probably more than her fan girls make in a year.

This part of your comment got me thinking. Like Lori, my parents gave me a mobile home when Mr Nova and I were just starting out. We didn't pay mortgage, only space rent. We chose to stay in our inexpensive house for longer than we needed to because we were able to afford extras for Baby Nova like private music lessons, extracurricular activities, and even trips overseas. But the difference between Lori and Ken and us is that we don't pretend to be martyrs for living cheaply. It was a choice we made because it benefited us.

I know how privileged I am to have parents who would buy me a house, even if it's "just" a mobile one. When we did finally move, Mr and I with my parent's blessing, decided to pay it forward and give the house to a senior citizen and his brother that really needed it. They lived in the same park as us in an old 50's mobile with a leaky roof and holes in the floor. They couldn't afford to move because they were both disabled and didn't work. His daughter and I were able to do the tranfer paperwork ourselves and it didn't cost either party a dime. 

Edited by SuperNova
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 30

14 hours ago, wallysmommy said:

Here's substandard living that we made the best of, but my parents didn't choose to have eleventy bazillion kids.  We lived in a shotgun double in Lower NInth Ward New Orleans in the early 60s.  Hurricane Betsy came through and I remember the walls of the house shaking from the wind.  We were fortunate it didn't collapse.  We lived there for another year before we moved to a two-bedroom apartment.  We were able to move to a better house because both my parents worked.  They trusted in God, but they also knew my mom had talents and skills that made her very marketable in the oil industry as a drafter in the 1960s and 1970s. 

Shit, I can't imagine how much dance classes and dance gear must cost in California. Heck any sport can be really expensive anywhere you are. 

I think there's nothing wrong with enjoying nice things. I tend to spend more than I need to on makeup. I just can't get enough eyeshadow and lipstick. I'm also really into dresses and skirts right now for summer. But I recognize that I'm privileged to buy the things that I do. Heck yesterday I went to a store about 35 mins away just to buy more fresh, organic foods. I didn't get that much but probably spent 2x what I might have spent at my local Walmart. I can't imagine going to that store and trying to feed an entire family on it. They'd be spending a crap ton. The organic food that Lori worships simply isn't an option for a large percentage of the population. It's a privilege to buy 14 dollar butter. 

• Upvote 11

17 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Ugh. Excuse my language, but fuck Kyle Smith, so hard. Having an abortion isn’t about being “expelled by the Alpha’s harem” or “50% reduction in SMV,” as if that means anything at all. 

I admit that I have no idea at all what that rant is supposed to mean other than a big red flag to stay away from him.

What is SMV? (I feel like I'm going to regret asking).

• Upvote 4

I so wish I could respond to this, but alas, I'm banned and I haven't made a new account:

Severine Hausinger You're absolutely correct. I'm an exception but after I paid off my debt I preferred a man without a college education. I married a tradesman who is independently educated. I knew from a practical standpoint that with the reality of depressed wages a student loan would mean I had to work.

My question:  Did part of his independent education include racism, bigotry, xenophobia, and homophobia, or was he born that way as a complete asshole?

• Upvote 14

1C922059-18A8-4060-93FB-E32690E5E7DA.thumb.png.9dd6c17cf602cef8f723a8451a89751c.png

what Lori fails to understand about birth control, hormonal kind, is that there aren’t studies that prove bc causes weight gain, cancer, hair loss, or any of the other symptoms. What they do is ask people who are on it what symptoms they have then add it to the list. Most women who get cancer, like breast, are at the age when that cancer happens and would have gotten it anyways. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 11

Another thing about breast and other cancers is that for many women, it's genetic so they would have gotten it anyways. The bitch Lori would hate it if a woman with a genetic tendency for ovarian cancer took the preventative measure of having her ovaries removed because of the potential loss of "babies." She might even say that someone with the gene for breast cancer getting a radical mastectomy is "trying to become a man" or some nasty shit like that.

• Upvote 15
  • Love 1

Who are the French relatives Alyssa is visiting in North France? And why to choose such far babymoon destination? It looks that they are all the time flying or driving, I find it exhausting for a pregnant woman.

• Downvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Who are the French relatives Alyssa is visiting in North France? And why to choose such far babymoon destination? It looks that they are all the time flying or driving, I find it exhausting for a pregnant woman.

My apologies if I misinterpret your statement but it comes across as very patronizing and condescending. People of all sexes and genders can go and do what they like as long as they feel comfortable. 

Edited by FluffySnowball
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

The video Lori shared this morning is LUDICROUS.  Here are a few screenshots to start with...

Spoiler

1.thumb.JPG.0417e20bf4b18ccd9574423256b4bdfc.JPG

Spoiler

2.thumb.JPG.9c8c0b14e692698055a5773d67aa553b.JPG

Spoiler

3.thumb.JPG.a5bc36e15ff930fba690df6d40514d06.JPG

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 8
  • Thank You 7

College/university is actually a really good place to meet people. Although I guess that since you’re not under the ‘umbrella of protection’ (barf) and you may meet people who don’t believe exactly as you do, college is a bad idea anyway in the eyes of Lori.

Yeah, student debt sucks ass, but I’m sure most people don’t regret their college education entirely. Aside from the earning potential (or otherwise), there’s still so much you can get out of it... meeting new people, getting really stuck into a few clubs/societies, learning interesting new things, travelling... yeah the degree is what you’re ultimately there for, but classes don’t fill up the entire three/four/five/etc years. There were bits of my degree I hated, and bits I loved. I would go again, changing a few things, but I’d still go (although it is more expensive, of course, but if money were no object...)

• Upvote 12

Hopefully I watched this video so you don't have to!  Here are some other lovely outtakes...

Spoiler

4.thumb.JPG.96f8d8e7f7d01e9083b8c7f373f27531.JPG

Spoiler

6.thumb.JPG.f9c22178a59023dabb98bfec0b310f9f.JPG

Spoiler

7.thumb.JPG.4f1546f46e805052c808babcccdfa2cd.JPG

Spoiler

9.thumb.JPG.4258dcf0b714299ebde000ec4db6b92d.JPG

Because why would we do something silly like blame other people of violently killing women and we can just blame the women for taking birth control?

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 2
  • WTF 7
  • Thank You 7

56 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

They are visiting Ken’s family and other paternal relatives. There was one pic with his father. 

Regarding the pregnancy aspect, I don’t see an issue with it. I have known women who worked out as normal right up to delivery. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, Frog99 said:

Regarding the pregnancy aspect, I don’t see an issue with it. I have known women who worked out as normal right up to delivery

I worked. But a trip from San Diego to Paris, just for a few days, seems stressing to me. But to each their own.

52 minutes ago, FluffySnowball said:

My apologies if I misinterpret your statement but it comes across as very patronizing and condescending. People of all sexes and genders can go and do what they like as long as they feel comfortable. 

Wow, if that's what you understood, I suppose I don't know how to write my thoughts.

I've been pregnant twice and I personally find that kind of trip exhausting. Just an opinion.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

HIV is transmitted through bodily fluids, and can be prevented with barrier methods, so I can vaguely see where they’re coming from.

But HIV is not lethal anymore. Huge advances in antiretroviral meds mean that people infected with HIV can lead a pretty normal life. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

HIV is transmitted through bodily fluids, and can be prevented with barrier methods, so I can vaguely see where they’re coming from.

But HIV is not lethal anymore. Huge advances in antiretroviral meds mean that people infected with HIV can lead a pretty normal life. 

Right.  Maybe this doctor didn't have time to connect the dots between point A (BCP) and point B (HIV), but I feel like at least attempting to explain the in between steps (i.e., not using condoms) would have been helpful.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Melissa1977 said:

And why to choose such far babymoon destination?

To each their own. I understand why babies are exciting and a reason to celebrate but I don't really get the culture surrounding pregnancy anymore. Gender reveal parties in addition to a baby shower, babymoons, and push presents. It feels commercialized. Are these things common nowadays? 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 3

I give Kristen Bray 10.000 upvotes, even though she posted on Lori's page.  I'm surprised The Godly Mentor with the Itchy Delete Finger(TM) let the comment stand

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, hollyfeller said:

The video Lori shared this morning is LUDICROUS.  Here are a few screenshots to start with...

Hide contents

1.thumb.JPG.0417e20bf4b18ccd9574423256b4bdfc.JPG

Hide contents

2.thumb.JPG.9c8c0b14e692698055a5773d67aa553b.JPG

Hide contents

3.thumb.JPG.a5bc36e15ff930fba690df6d40514d06.JPG

Clotting only accuses of you have a clotting disorder. Protein C runs in my family. It is genetic and can only come from parents. A simple blood test will tell you if you have it. I’m 29 and got on birth control when I was 25. My mom was terrified. She didn’t like it. Most parents who love it for their kids only love it because it is helping them with pain and periods. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

Sorry - running my mouth. 

Edited by SweetLaurel

I've been watching reruns of The Twilight Zone late at night for the past couple of months.  I propose a new episode where Lori is in her beautiful kitchen making a cat slime salad during a thunderstorm.  A flash of lightning blinds her and she passes out.  She wakes up on the dirt floor of a cabin in the middle of Kansas surrounded by nothing but flat land.  She struggles to get her hugely pregnant self up.  The year is 1870 something.  She's back in the "good old days."  Suddenly, we hear 10 kids screaming and crying.  Ken comes trudging in full of dust.  

You can fill in the rest of the episode!

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 11
  • Love 10

• samurai_sarah locked this topic