IGNORED

Lori Alexander 66: An Assortment of Cheap Whines

5 hours ago, AuntKrazy said:

As an adult, I understand your choice; but when I was a child I experienced it as yet another way that being both female and smart was "wrong" and "bad" and "undesirable".  It was yet another way that  taught me that I had no place or value in the classroom, and I spent the rest of my school days finding ways to get out of class because I was so stifled there.  In my child's perspective:  I was supposed to sit there, shut up, and do nothing.  It became a place where I marked time because I heard it as "stop learning".  School itself became punishment. 

I now wonder, why couldn't an alternative solution have been offered, such as "it must be read with a cover on it".  I get that the teacher doesn't want to deal with disgruntled parents of other kids; but it should not be at the expense of the child in the classroom's desire to learn.

I would explain to the child that it's great that s/he is interested in it and to please keep reading it at home, but some moms or dads might not want their kids to read it until they are older so please choose something else for school. Most kids are capable of understanding that. And most teachers today would explain it exactly like that. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I've seen six-year-olds make better videos than Lori.  She has no stage presence, yet they are floating the totally bizarre idea of leading a conference.  I'd rather watch grass grow than hear her speak.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 6

@louisa05

I'm going to say - I have very my strong emotions that are coloring how I would like to respond. Quite frankly, I would not have thought that was a good enough answer as a child.

I hear it as the same "sit down, shut up, and don't ask questions" mentality.  I believe that teachers should ideally attempt to find ways to challenge a child who is not challenged academically in the classroom at all, and not simply punish them by forcing compliance to behavior and taking away their intellectual curiosity.   

I grew up poor and I did not have anything else.  There was quite literally nothing for me to do for 95% of my school day as I would finish in 5 minutes in class what it would take the rest of the class an hour to do so.  To me, school became simply about behavior modification, and that's what I hear when I read your response - that it's more about other parents reactions than about teaching an individual child struggling in the classroom to find ways to occupy her intellectual curiosity.

I get that we have too many kids per teacher.  I get that each teacher has limited resources.  But just because a kid gets good grades does not mean their experience of school is good, or even experienced as an environment conducive to learning.  If a teacher is going to take away intellectual stimulation from a kid within a classroom, then he/she also needs to be responsible for providing something to stimulate the intellect in it's place; not just tell them "read that at home".

• Upvote 8
  • Love 8

Have you been in a classroom lately? Teachers literally spend $1000s on books and other items for kids. Books are organized by reading level in classroom libraries that the teachers buy 90% of out of their own pockets. I was in second grade today and helping a kid find a book on his AR level. There were books available from level .5 (Kindergarten) to 5.5 in that room (halfway through fifth grade). There were a million other things to stimulate kids who are ahead of grade level as well. They started their day with Memorizing Math Facts (MMF) timed tests. One child was doing single digit addition with numbers not above 5. Another was doing division. In second grade. Because MMF is self-paced and tailored to each kid's ability. 

I am not disputing that your teacher didn't stimulate you. But throwing every teacher under the bus as a result is not fair. And refusing --even as an adult-- to understand that the decisions teachers have to make are complex and often affect every child in the classroom is really unnecessary. In a modern classroom, a teacher could hand you 20 books three or even four years above grade level to choose from. And she bought them with her own damn money. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 4

@louisa05 yes, I have been. I have siblings who are teachers and am married to a professor. I value teachers. I have volunteered countless hours tutoring and mentoring at risk girls.

I did specify that I understand as an adult. And it wasn't just a single teacher for me. School was torture. I was supposed to sit still, be quiet and do nothing for hours on end. I learned habits of being unproductive that I find dificult to counter to this day.

I'm simply trying to offer a perspective that gets overlooked in schools with the overcrowding. School was horrible for me because it taught me that I was only supposed to learn within very narrow parameters. 

I'm trying to advocate for the invisible in today's classrooms. Teachers can give "reasonable accomodations" for all kinds of problems, except for the naturally talented/ahead. Teachers are pushed into supporting mediocrity. And I don't think "you can read something that interest you at home" is a good enough answer. It doesn't mean I blame you.  But I do blame us a a culture for settling for less than adequate resources in our schools.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AuntKrazy said:

@louisa05 yes, I have been. I have siblings who are teachers and am married to a professor. I value teachers. I have volunteered countless hours tutoring and mentoring at risk girls.

I did specify that I understand as an adult. And it wasn't just a single teacher for me. School was torture. I was supposed to sit still, be quiet and do nothing for hours on end. I learned habits of being unproductive that I find dificult to counter to this day.

I'm simply trying to offer a perspective that gets overlooked in schools with the overcrowding. School was horrible for me because it taught me that I was only supposed to learn within very narrow parameters. 

I'm trying to advocate for the invisible in today's classrooms. Teachers can give "reasonable accomodations" for all kinds of problems, except for the naturally talented/ahead. Teachers are pushed into supporting mediocrity. And I don't think "you can read something that interest you at home" is a good enough answer. It doesn't mean I blame you.  But I do blame us a a culture for settling for less than adequate resources in our schools.

Today's classroom is very different from the classroom of even 10 years ago.  The ideal classroom today, whether K or 12th grade, is a dynamic, interactive room in which there are advanced materials available for students like you were and students are encouraged to use them when they have time.  In addition, the contemporary understanding of an IEP applies to a gifted child as well as a struggling child so someone whose abilties outstrip a teacher's ability to accomodate advanced learners get single or multi subject differentiation, meaning they go to an entirely different grade and teacher for specific subjects.

Education is changing rapidly as we speak and even what is best practice today will probably not be best practice five years from now.  Those of us who struggled as students, because we learned fast and easily and spent a lot of time wonder what the point of school even was need to keep in mind that the best practices of our school years might as well be ancient history today.  It is true that a lot of school districts are still stuck in the past and still think that 30 year old best practices are appropriate today but they are rapidly becoming dinosaurs.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

15 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

She does correct that in the description under the video. She really is a very poor speaker, isn't she.

Hide contents

Screenshot_20190515-150851.thumb.jpg.d02a6b18d81a6f75bc2af031ae6f61f6.jpg

And it just chaps her ass that she's not.  She would practically kill to be a Beth Moore or RHE.   You can see the green aura of jealousy oozing off her. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, AuntKrazy said:

@louisa05

I'm going to say - I have very my strong emotions that are coloring how I would like to respond. Quite frankly, I would not have thought that was a good enough answer as a child.

I hear it as the same "sit down, shut up, and don't ask questions" mentality.  I believe that teachers should ideally attempt to find ways to challenge a child who is not challenged academically in the classroom at all, and not simply punish them by forcing compliance to behavior and taking away their intellectual curiosity.   

I grew up poor and I did not have anything else.  There was quite literally nothing for me to do for 95% of my school day as I would finish in 5 minutes in class what it would take the rest of the class an hour to do so.  To me, school became simply about behavior modification, and that's what I hear when I read your response - that it's more about other parents reactions than about teaching an individual child struggling in the classroom to find ways to occupy her intellectual curiosity.

I get that we have too many kids per teacher.  I get that each teacher has limited resources.  But just because a kid gets good grades does not mean their experience of school is good, or even experienced as an environment conducive to learning.  If a teacher is going to take away intellectual stimulation from a kid within a classroom, then he/she also needs to be responsible for providing something to stimulate the intellect in it's place; not just tell them "read that at home".

I was labeled a "trouble maker" by 1st grade because I already knew the stuff being taught and was bored out of my skull.   By second grade, my mom finally went to the school and talked to them about my boredom. She gave them some suggestions like letting me bring a book from home, letting me go to the library and read books there or bring one back to the class room and giving me more work to do.   The teacher I had that year used all 3 of those things and suddenly I was no longer a troublemaker.

That worked, but by high school I was totally checked out of school and put in basically no effort unless it was something that really interested me like school reports were I got to pick the topic and stuff like keeping score for the girl's basketball team (I wasn't athletic and had no desire to play, but my best friend played and it was a good way to spend extra time with her) and helping with the school plays.

I had enough credits due to extra things I had done that gave credit, that my senior year I was done by noon and started taking 1-2 classes at the local college.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

Is Lori going to step in and help raise the children that loose their mother to back ally or at home abortions? Is she going to help widowed father’s pay for someone to watch their kids? Of course no. Making abortion illegal will never end it. People will always seek them out. 

The duggars were shirts about being the generation to end abortion, it’s never going to happen. The rate can be lowered but it will take people to actually become pro life not just pro birth. Most don’t want to do that. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Today The (un)Godly Mentor tells us 'If a woman aborts her eighth month baby, the punishment should be much greater. A teenager whose parents are forcing her to have an abortion, the parents should suffer the consequences,' and 'If we believe abortion is murder (which it is), there needs to be clear consequences for not only performing the murder but for those allowing it to happen to them.'  She suggests 'something that clearly shows that abortion is murder and to put fear into women who want to abort. The abortionists should go to jail for many, many years.' 

In LoriLand who is in charge of setting consequences for actions? Men.  Does she think women should have any power here?  No.  So it seems that Lori is telling men how to do their jobs.   In Lori's world what kind of woman tells a man what to do?  That's right, a Jezebel.  So by Lori's own rules, she is a Jezebel, and needs to repent of her wicked, ungodly ways.  

Also, according to Lori's own rules, why should it matter if the abortion is done at 8 months or 8 weeks?  If it's a human life, it's a human life.  Would she also agree that killing an 8 year old child should carry a greater penalty than an 8 week old infant? 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, delphinium65 said:

Today The (un)Godly Mentor tells us 'If a woman aborts her eighth month baby, the punishment should be much greater. A teenager whose parents are forcing her to have an abortion, the parents should suffer the consequences,' and 'If we believe abortion is murder (which it is), there needs to be clear consequences for not only performing the murder but for those allowing it to happen to them.'  She suggests 'something that clearly shows that abortion is murder and to put fear into women who want to abort. The abortionists should go to jail for many, many years.' 

This may also be in response to what DIL Emily posted yesterday about a Baptist pastor who was against draconian punishment for women who had abortions and who pretty much said (I'm paraphrasing) , if you want to reduce the number of abortions Christians need to do more to help women who find themselves pregnant/in trouble, not heap more guilt and punishment on them.  Emily and several friends said they agree. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 13
  • Love 1

Lori needs to go do some required reading about Georgia Tann and read The Baby Thief and then get back to me about how babies were valued and considered worthy of life. Babies were raised in homes and asylums; adopted out to the highest bidder; kept in work camps and sent out west on trains to be employed as farmhands by families who had no interest in treating them like members of the family. She needs to get out of here with that "children were valued in the past" bullshit. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 2

29 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Lori needs to go do some required reading about Georgia Tann and read The Baby Thief and then get back to me about how babies were valued and considered worthy of life. Babies were raised in homes and asylums; adopted out to the highest bidder; kept in work camps and sent out west on trains to be employed as farmhands by families who had no interest in treating them like members of the family. She needs to get out of here with that "children were valued in the past" bullshit. 

I just listened to a podcast about her. It was very eye opening. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, EowynW said:

I just listened to a podcast about her. It was very eye opening. 

Behind the Bastards? I had only heard of her generally before I listened to the podcast. I'm a social worker and I have a degree in history, so I felt like I tacitly understood what happened and how bad things were for kids in that era, but holy shit, I was just blown away by the diabolical and twisted misdeeds of Georgia Tann and others involved in child welfare in that era. Truly, just sickening. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Fostering will also help lower the rate of abortion. The foster system is over crowded. I understand that adoption in this country is very expensive. I also understand that not everyone has the means to foster and/or adopt. BUT if you are truly pro life you would be all for helping children get into good foster homes and get adopted. 07516A84-0A59-4713-8C6D-C47537ADB8D7.thumb.jpeg.37190b75810f45a917471c656513a3d3.jpeg

Spoiler

7A772B39-DAA3-4EE0-993C-FF48FCDFFFC5.thumb.jpeg.dddca7303f44ace27ae0a4600c3f9ced.jpeg

Most school districts are failing because parents aren’t always able to be at the pto meetings to help decide spending. This usually happens in poorer school districts. I was in the saint louis city public school district when it got decredited. It sucked. All of my ap classes were taken away. I was a white kid so I couldn’t get moved to an accredited school district without paying. I ended up moving in with my aunt. 

Tax dollars that fund pp don’t fund abortions. They only fund women’s health services. Do some research ladies.

i love how Lori never answers the question. She can’t answer it without being a hypocrite. 

• Upvote 8
  • WTF 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, EowynW said:

In light of Lori's abortion post today, I present to you the little known story of the Clergy Consultation Service, the largest abortion service group before Roe vs Wade. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/criminal/id809264944?i=1000389629997

Thank you for sharing this! I had never heard of the Clergy Consultation Service before. I wasn't able to listen to the podcast, but I found a good article on The Atlantic's website.

Does the podcast include the information that the CCS was succeeded by the group Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice? I have a feeling I'll be checking their website periodically from now on. I really like this post by a Rabbi who had a miscarriage

• Upvote 7

I'm calling shenanigans on that woman. A basic Google search shows that the most premature baby to ever survive was 21 weeks in 2016. A 19.5 weeker surviving in the 1980s would have been all over the news as a miracle. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Behind the Bastards? I had only heard of her generally before I listened to the podcast. I'm a social worker and I have a degree in history, so I felt like I tacitly understood what happened and how bad things were for kids in that era, but holy shit, I was just blown away by the diabolical and twisted misdeeds of Georgia Tann and others involved in child welfare in that era. Truly, just sickening. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/criminal/id809264944?i=1000431812440

This is the one I listened to. 

• Thank You 5
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'm calling shenanigans on that woman. A basic Google search shows that the most premature baby to ever survive was 21 weeks in 2016. A 19.5 weeker surviving in the 1980s would have been all over the news as a miracle. 

I was going to chime in with this as well. At my facility, and most other NICUs, it is challenging to keep a premature baby alive before 24 weeks gestational age. So many systems aren't fully developed.

Also, artificial surfactant, often needed for fetal lung development, wasn't approved by the FDA until the 90s. Babies don't start making their own until after 26 weeks and often any baby born before 37 weeks needs surfactant. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 10
  • Love 1

I hate when Lori posts "what do you think .......?"  type posts.  I believe she does this so she doesn't actually have to say what she really thinks, but rather allows those horrid people on her site say it instead.  She should just woman up and straight up show her cards.  I think she straight up agrees with all those awful men posting on her FB.   She says "I believe there needs to be some type of punishment for women seeking abortions or what would there be to deter others from having them? I’m not sure it should be jail time but there needs to be something that clearly shows that abortion is murder and to put fear into women who want to abort." (bolding mine for emphasis)

She says she's not sure it should be jail time but something is needed to "put the fear into women."  So if its not jail, what would make women "fear??" 

Say it, Lori, say it.  You absolutely believe in the death penalty for these women. You are just a coward and will let all those awful men say it so you don't have to.  You have no love in your heart.  You love to see women punished.    Let the whole world see your ugliness. 

Edited by SongRed7
  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 11
  • Love 2

49 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Thank you for sharing this! I had never heard of the Clergy Consultation Service before. I wasn't able to listen to the podcast, but I found a good article on The Atlantic's website.

Does the podcast include the information that the CCS was succeeded by the group Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice? I have a feeling I'll be checking their website periodically from now on. I really like this post by a Rabbi who had a miscarriage

I don't remember the Coalition being mentioned. But that is fascinating. Thanks for the link! 

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

34 minutes ago, SongRed7 said:

I hate when Lori posts "what do you think .......?"  type posts.  I believe she does this so she doesn't actually have to say what she really thinks, but rather let's those horrid people on her site say it instead.  She should just woman up and straight up show her cards.  I think she straight up agrees with all those awful men posting on her FB.   She says "I believe there needs to be some type of punishment for women seeking abortions or what would there be to deter others from having them? I’m not sure it should be jail time but there needs to be something that clearly shows that abortion is murder and to put fear into women who want to abort." (bolding mine for emphasis)

She says she's not sure it should be jail time but something is needed to "put the fear into women."  So if its not jail, what would make women "fear??" 

Say it, Lori, say it.  You absolutely believe in the death penalty for these women. You are just a coward and will let all those awful men say it so you don't have to.  You have no love in your heart.  You love to see women punished.    Let the whole world see your ugliness. 

Apparently Lori doesn't grasp that a person is in prison for a long-ass time before they're executed. It's hardly an option that doesn't involved jail time. I mean, sure, she could propose just summarily executing women accused of having abortions, but it seems like there's some sticky wickets involved in that proposal, to put it mildly. I also don't think her fawning man-boys would support her if she came out and said she wanted a system that shit all over the Constitution. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 8

43 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Also, artificial surfactant, often needed for fetal lung development, wasn't approved by the FDA until the 90s. Babies don't start making their own until after 26 weeks and often any baby born before 37 weeks needs surfactant. 

Wasn’t that the reason Patrick Kennedy(infant son of JFK and Jackie)passed?  I believe he was five weeks premature, which today nearly all babies survive.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I also don't think her fawning man-boys would support her if she came out and said she wanted a system that shit all over the Constitution. 

Some of the worst ones probably wouldn't care. :my_confused:

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic