IGNORED

Safe at Home 5: Something Happened in Arndtland and It's Finger Lickin' Good!

HerNameIsBuffy

@Petronella I'm so interested in your trip!  You should tell us a little about it even if your messenger isn't working (and it isn't yet because I just tried to PM you).  It's loosely related here anyway, what with the penguins.

6 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

@Petronella I'm so interested in your trip!  You should tell us a little about it even if your messenger isn't working (and it isn't yet because I just tried to PM you).  It's loosely related here anyway, what with the penguins.

Well, I’ll try to keep it on topic about penguins!

The penguins were very busy, always seeming to be very focused on whatever they were doing. The rule was that we couldn’t go nearer than 15 feet to them, but if they came nearer than that to us it was okay. And they did! They didn’t seem scared of people at all, or interested in us either. They just kept on doing what they were doing, and if we were near where they had already intended to go, they’d just walk right past, like RIGHT BY us, no fear, no making extra room as they pass us or anything. They were ADORABLE.

I like this little photobombing chinstrap penguin on the left (Orne Harbour, on the Antarctic peninsula).

AF58469F-BD5E-493B-AEC6-989C8065892D.thumb.jpeg.04d44b2c60b0921354c5fbd4b8cb292d.jpeg

Also, they “porpoise” through the water. So fun!!

F6CCE84D-F040-4372-98E8-F4F6D66C67F5.thumb.jpeg.0f3df3f208e049bd4d6678f8b967cc1e.jpeg

Edited by Petronella
ETA porpoising :-)
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 24

• 3 weeks later...

So in Ricks latest driving video he ran over what looked like a dog, he didn't acknowledge it just said oh I must of ran over something. The video is still up and it was posted over 16 HOURS AGO. I can't deal with these people!

• Sad 2
  • WTF 8

3 hours ago, CheapParamedic said:

So in Ricks latest driving video he ran over what looked like a dog, he didn't acknowledge it just said oh I must of ran over something. The video is still up and it was posted over 16 HOURS AGO. I can't deal with these people!

Wait, you could tell it was a living creature? For sure??

12 hours ago, Petronella said:

Wait, you could tell it was a living creature? For sure??

Yes 100% it was walking out on the road and I think Rick was paying more attention to his phone ?

• Sad 5
  • WTF 7

38 minutes ago, CheapParamedic said:

Yes 100% it was walking out on the road and I think Rick was paying more attention to his phone ?

How awful!

• WTF 1
  • I Agree 1

On 2/2/2020 at 9:49 AM, GreyhoundFan said:

I was looking at today's Kindle books deals of the day and something made me think of the Arndts:

image.thumb.png.c31dc1b4328ede1e3cd97b6a90ae5f41.png

We should send that to @HerNameIsBuffy and Rick for a wedding present.

• Haha 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, CheapParamedic said:

That makes me so sad. His children and wife need to do something about his ridiculous and unsafe “drive around a while filming” episodes. Next time it won’t be a poor animal. Next time it could be a person. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

My guess is when Rick doing his driving sermons or whatever he calls it, the rest of the family is just relieved to get a break from him. He probably never shuts up at home. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, socalrules said:

My guess is when Rick doing his driving sermons or whatever he calls it, the rest of the family is just relieved to get a break from him. He probably never shuts up at home. 

This and they probably see it as a window of opportunity to get things done.  I imagine Rick's ramblings take up a lot of time too, they have to stop and listen.  

On 2/22/2020 at 8:16 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

That makes me so sad. His children and wife need to do something about his ridiculous and unsafe “drive around a while filming” episodes. Next time it won’t be a poor animal. Next time it could be a person. 

Well I had to do it: I checked the video and to me, the animal looks likely to be a coyote.  I live in the same state and coyote numbers have increased dramatically in recent years.  It was rare to see them but now not only do I see them on a regular basis, I often hear their howling at night, as I live next to a nature preserve. 

Obviously Rick was not paying any attention, no braking or swerving to avoid the poor thing.   Just realizing he hit something and continued with his ramblings.

I usually don't like to speculate on someone's health be it physical or mental, but I can't help thinking there's some issues going on Rick for him to be doing these wandering sermons.    

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1

59 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

I usually don't like to speculate on someone's health be it physical or mental, but I can't help thinking there's some issues going on Rick for him to be doing these wandering sermons.    

I'm pretty sure Vine Valley is a red flag that there is something going on with Rick. The family just seems to enable his insanity. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

2 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I'm pretty sure Vine Valley is a red flag that there is something going on with Rick. The family just seems to enable his insanity. 

Agree - I am not a fan of speculation either, but his behavior makes it clear there his thinking is off.  

If it were just Rick with Cathy I'd assume folie à deux.  But folie à qinze?  

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

14 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Just the fact that Rick's "eternal project" just goes on and on with no end in sight, he has quite honestly, wasted a lot of his family's time and effort and feels no need to either wrap this up or abandon it alltogether.  How many times do they have to film their dad stumbling around in the snow?   How many times do they watch Dad drive off, rambling as he goes?   Who wants to stand around and go along with this year after year?   It seems to be the Arndtian version of "Ground Hog Day".

By now at least some of them, especially the older ones and Cathy, should have gotten a clue there's something wrong and say something about it.  Maybe they have but they are so enmeshed that they all likely feel they have to stick by Rick, that they are responsible for him especially considering that earning income for the family has fallen on the older manboys for some time now.

• Upvote 8

9 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Camp Arndt is a veritable quiver full of Red Flags.

Other than Cathy's admirably consistent home frosting tip kit hair job, there's nothing the Arndts do that doesn't seem uncomfortable, unnerving, or outright disturbing on some level.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

7 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

Other than Cathy's admirably consistent home frosting tip kit hair job, there's nothing the Arndts do that doesn't seem uncomfortable, unnerving, or outright disturbing on some level.

Idk...their love of penguins is pretty normal.  :penguin-no:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

Camp Arndt is a veritable quiver full of Red Flags.

I honestly hope the boys live fairly normal lives when they aren’t at the Arndt home. And I hope more can move out. Even if it’s only into a neighboring home. Part of me just hopes they are placating their dad at home while living a life they can enjoy outside of the vine valley and softball. 

• Upvote 2

So many times I've clicked on an Arndt thread thinking THIS TIME something BIG has happened.  A son went on a date. They switched from penguin sheets to duck sheets.  Rick had an actual epiphany.  There's a release date for Vine Valley.  The sister cut her hair. 

BUT NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I gave up on the Arndts for months, but after there was speculation at least some of the chi-dults were moving into a satellite house near the Mothership. Did they do that and if so, how many migrated?  Do they trek back across the lawn for meals? 

Also, apropos nothing, how many cars do the Arndts have? All those guys work and mom and sister have to buy groceries.  That's a lot of car organizing. 

• Upvote 12

1 hour ago, Howl said:

So many times I've clicked on an Arndt thread thinking THIS TIME something BIG has happened.  A son went on a date. They switched from penguin sheets to duck sheets.  Rick had an actual epiphany.  There's a release date for Vine Valley.  The sister cut her hair. 

Anyway, I gave up on the Arndts for months, but after there was speculation at least some of the chi-dults were moving into a satellite house near the Mothership. Did they do that and if so, how many migrated?  Do they trek back across the lawn for meals? 

Also, apropos nothing, how many cars do the Arndts have? All those guys work and mom and sister have to buy groceries.  That's a lot of car organizing. 

We need some kind of bat signal to go up if something ever changes in Arndtville so we can all rush to the thread.

Get it?  Bat?  Like a softball bat?  I kill me.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I honestly hope the boys live fairly normal lives when they aren’t at the Arndt home. And I hope more can move out. Even if it’s only into a neighboring home. Part of me just hopes they are placating their dad at home while living a life they can enjoy outside of the vine valley and softball. 

I hear what you are saying, it has occurred to me that the boys might be managing normal lives away from the compound.  However at some point, something would have to give....if nothing else the older ones in their 30's finally figuring out if they want any sort of life for themselves, they will have to shift their focus away from their family and siblings in order to make that happen.  It seems that all of them are so focused on Mom and Dad, supporting them financially, working on Dad's "eternal project" aka Vine Valley,  being involved in Dad's "get in the car and rambling incessantly while not paying attention to the road" ministry.  If any of them have other hopes and goals outside of being "safe at home" only they can make it happen and that means making the hard decision to detach from the mothership.  

There's got to be some weird, cultish dynamics at play to keep all of them sticking around to the detriment of what they want in life, if that is the case.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Just the 3 oldest have moved out, Rick is planning on making a road from there property to the main house.He calls it the boys property but he's there everyday doing earthmoving/tree clearing or something else, I assume they just let him do it as it keeps him pretty busy lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 2

8 minutes ago, CheapParamedic said:

Just the 3 oldest have moved out, Rick is planning on making a road from there property to the main house.He calls it the boys property but he's there everyday doing earthmoving/tree clearing or something else, I assume they just let him do it as it keeps him pretty busy lol

I bet they still have penguin sheets in the new house. 

• Haha 3
  • I Agree 1

15 minutes ago, CheapParamedic said:

So Paul, John, and Mark are in the new house.

Assuming the others moved up that's Jude, James, and Phillip joining Luke* in the 4 occupant suite.

That leaves Seth, Jacob, Nathan, Caleb, David, and Peter sharing rooms downstairs, but maybe not everyone is in a bunk bed with more room?

I really hate that I just named them all in order without having to look it up.

*He's still not alone, @nelliebelle1197

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 2

2 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

I bet they still have penguin sheets in the new house. 

I'm more interested than I should be in knowing if they all sleep in bunk beds in one bedroom or if they have separate bedrooms.  And if they each have their own room, do they have single beds, full beds, queen beds? 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic