IGNORED

Safe at Home 5: Something Happened in Arndtland and It's Finger Lickin' Good!

HerNameIsBuffy

10 hours ago, Odd1Out said:

No clue what that film is supposed to be about but super jealous of those filming locations. They are beautiful. 

The plot is supposed to be about a misguided atheist PhD who writes a book, and falls over and off bicycles in the woods, snow, softball diamond, pumpkin patch, potato field, vineyard, and more snow until he finds his twue wuve and God.  Not necessarily in that order.

1 hour ago, Italiangirl said:

How old are now Cathy and Rick?

Rick was 63 on April 1st.  Cathy was 59 in January.  They've probably got another 20 odd years of keeping the kids Safe At Home in them. 

Rufus only knows what will happen to the kidults when one or both kicks the proverbial bucket.  Cathy looks incredibly healthy.  Rick not so much.  But then he complained that he hurt his back pratfalling off his bike once too often for VV.

I used to think one or two of the boys would escape but I get less optimistic as the years go by.  I think they will probably just carry on as they are, with Mary Elizabeth instead of Cathy washing their socks, cleaning, and cooking for them.  While Whizzy still wears versions of Mom's white shorty shorts and navy tops, , keeps her hair in braids, and loves Benji the Penguin instead of finding a date.

Free Whizzy!

• Upvote 13
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Italiangirl said:

How old are now Cathy and Rick? I don't want to wish death on anybody, but do you think there could still be hope for some of the boys to find a wife and have a family? Or even when one of the parents should die it will be too late?

If any of the manboys are waiting for Mom and Dad to ascend to that Vine Valley in the Sky before they can actually live their lives, that's pretty sad.   They would have given over some important years of their lives, years that they could have married and raised a family, or attained whatever other hopes and goals they had for themselves, to support their parents and their choices / hopes / goals.   I always felt that parents who are so needy of their adult children, be it emotionally or materially, to the point that their kids cannot live their own lives, are in the wrong no matter what the justification. 

It could be too late for some or all of them.  They might be so enmeshed that even their parents' deaths will not disentangle them.   

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, Ticklish said:

That is SUCH a weird trailer. I can kind of see signs of a plot, and then suddenly there's softball footage. Like they didn't have enough footage of the movie to make a 3 minute trailer, so put in random softball footage. And what is with all the random falling down? He doesn't appear to be tripping over anything!

Perhaps that's a clue signifying Rick has some rare neurological disorder, one that all the sons inherited, which is why they can never marry?

On 7/1/2019 at 9:48 PM, nausicaa said:

That's his sister... 

Well, that’s not weird or creepy at all.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

The plot is supposed to be about a misguided atheist PhD who writes a book, and falls over and off bicycles in the woods, snow, softball diamond, pumpkin patch, potato field, vineyard, and more snow until he finds his twue wuve and God.  Not necessarily in that order.

It is important to note his twue wuve is the town's fair maiden, as played by the one and only Cathy Arndt (aka one of only two females of the species the Arndts have ever spoken to) and she travels around feeding the impoverished of the entire region from one small handheld basket.

That trailer really lends evidence to my theory that it is in fact Rick driving this crazy train, and not Cathy. 

Also, they're gonna need to cut that pumpkin drying scene or else risk getting an R rating from the MPAA. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 8

There are not enough Kegals in the world to get my pelvic floor through that Vine Valley trailer.  I should know by now, but it stays just as hilarious on each new viewing as it was the first time.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 4

I didn't see it as funny at all. Perhaps, as I used to do with the Benny Hill show, a little inhaled cannabis might help me understand....

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Perhaps, as I used to do with the Benny Hill show, a little inhaled cannabis might help me understand...

Yeah, one reaction I had when watching was: "I wonder if anyone has fiddled the speed and dubbed this with 'Yakkity Sax'?"

• Haha 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wondering if this may have been one of the reasons they left the Catholic Church.   May not have been their parish specifically, but they may well have been aware at some point, especially as Cathy's father was a deacon and this guy was all over Belleville.

https://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/belleville-priest-who-said-he-never-hurt-child-accused-second-time-sexually-abusing-boy#stream/0

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

I'm wondering if this may have been one of the reasons they left the Catholic Church.

...and started Safe at Home Ministries. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Howl said:

...and started Safe at Home Ministries. 

Well, they had a few boys....

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Well, I almost had to faint. I haven't been on FJ in a while and I checked out the "Unsullied" topic. I saw only 13 Arndt names listed and I was so excited! Did one of the manboys actually break free? Actually find a woman who could cope with the family dynamic? Actually date, court, or marry? And then, sadly, I realized that there were only 13 manboys listed because one is still underage. Hopes dashed. Sigh...

• Haha 18
  • I Agree 1

I saw this thread was updated. In my head:

"wonder what happened? Am I going to be disappointed again? Of course you are but you are going to click on it anyways."

click. Damn, nothing new. Funny but nothing new. :(

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not knowing much about the Arndts, I watched part of the “Kids by the Dozen” linked up thread. Luke (?) talking about girls and saying “yeah it’s a little weird since there are 4 of us 21 and over and none of us are married or have had a serious relationship” made me kind of sad for him to know that a decade on they’ve all just accepted a life devoid of romance OR independence. Cut the damn apron strings!

I’m assuming “safe at home” is a lame softball reference as well as a homeschooling thing, but it totally implies they think the world outside their front door is unsafe.

And that trailer! I don’t know wtf I just spent 3 minutes of my life watching. Wtf is the pumpkin bath about??

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

On 9/26/2019 at 7:24 AM, Smee said:

And that trailer! I don’t know wtf I just spent 3 minutes of my life watching. Wtf is the pumpkin bath about??

I'm sure it's nothing sexual.

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 5

• 3 weeks later...

Each time this thread pops up I get hopeful that one of the penguimen have left the Valley and entered into a relationship. My hopes are dashed once again! 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

13 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I wish to dedicate this to the chillest Arndt, if such exists. 

Aw! They took it down. Was it a penguin? ?

• 1 month later...

Nothing has happened to the Arndts since 1998 but I cannot bear for them to be on page three.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 28
  • I Agree 2

We are like those scientists who sit in a duck blind, year after year after year, binoculars trained on the subject, hoping that something will happen. Every once in a while the duck will shift position slightly and we will get all excited that it is preparing to lay an egg or go swimming or do anything other than sit in the nest, and every time we are disappointed because it doesn’t. It’s just a plain, brown duck (well, penguin, I guess) sitting in its boring old nest, doing nothing.

• Upvote 18
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 5

4 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

hoping that something will happen.

Damn it hopes dashed again! Are you sure the study isn't on me? Every time I see this thread show up I'm like Pavlov's dog so, so hopeful that something has happened and every time I'm disappointed.  Even the dogs could have their conditioning become extinct.  Maybe there is hope for me (because there sure is a lack of anything changing or anything exciting happening in this family). 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 8

Don't be cruel.  I thought something had happened in the Arndt borg.  I can't believe I fell for this AGAIN. I saw this thread show up.  For a moment, I allowed myself to hope, a frisson of excitement rushed through me.  Crushed. 

NEVER. AGAIN. 

Oh, who am I kidding.  I'll always look at an Arndt thread.  Maybe they got new penguin sheets for Christmas.  

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Howl said:

Don't be cruel.  I thought something had happened in the Arndt borg.  I can't believe I fell for this AGAIN. I saw this thread show up.  For a moment, I allowed myself to hope, a frisson of excitement rushed through me.  Crushed. 

NEVER. AGAIN. 

Oh, who am I kidding.  I'll always look at an Arndt thread.  Maybe they got new penguin sheets for Christmas.  

My dogs and kitties are getting penguin kerchiefs for Christmas.  And currently I have 100+ penguins festooning my house...yet alas, I am not an Arndt.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic