IGNORED

Safe at Home 5: Something Happened in Arndtland and It's Finger Lickin' Good!

HerNameIsBuffy

From personal knowledge of a litigation, court reporters are still worked on transcribing meetings/ arbitrations/ depositions.  Many courts are allowing Zoom/ Skype and phone appearances and the reporters are recording everything as usual and then transcribing.

Having just paid a transcription bill for an arbitration session, court reporters do quite well 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 8

The fact that the Arndts have so many boys is now paying off because that means there are many adult males bringing in money. They only have Wizzy living off of them as a SAHD. I am sure she more than earns her keep with the house chores. Having a bunch of money coming in from court reporting jobs would easily keep them afloat during this pandemic. I bet a lot of them have money saved up for that perfect big family they all expect to have.

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Luke also use to run a laptop repair service with one or more of his brothers, although I can't imagine that's much in demand now.

Demand for laptops is up due to all the remote schooling and WFH*. A repaired/refurbished laptop is better than no laptop. 

*When my employer started using "WFH" as an acronym for "Work from home", my brain kept reading it as "What the F***?". It made for some very comical spit-out-your-coffee emails...

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 8

Well, finally have a chance to catch up a bit and see OMG a manboy has a girlfriend.    I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised because honestly what are are the odds of none of them dating ever.   Even my sisters who didn't openly date in their 20s and early 30s managed to do it eventually when they dated their husbands. 

I can see any manboy keeping any dating he's doing on the down-low and for good reason, given the family weirdness, how many manboys experienced having girlfriends bolt for the exits?   So agree that likely Luke has been dating for some time and might have made sure that this time, this girlfriend was going to bolt.

On 10/31/2020 at 10:14 AM, JenniferJuniper said:

The plan has always been for the boys and their families to build houses on the land so they could all live happily ever after on the compound.  And while I'm sure it was fine for the Kennedys who jetted in and out of Hyannis in the summer months with the wives probably managing to avoid each other most of the time, I really can't imagine too many women wanting to spend their lives in Arndtville.   Assuming it ever even comes to pass.  Rick lives in a fantasy world. 

Entirely possible Luke found someone who might not mind life in Arndtville but it will be interesting to see what happens.   He might have seriously lucked out in finding someone who is OK with the penguins, washing pumpkins, and all the family weirdness. Or maybe Luke is more of an individual than we think.  Maybe he saw what life would be like if he just followed the family script and decided to take some control of his life.  Time will tell.

• Upvote 5

On 10/31/2020 at 12:33 AM, SolomonFundy said:

Agreed, though this goes way back. I remember when they were on one of those early "mega family" TV specials back before the last kids were even born, they referred to their eldest son's relationship as a courtship. Whatever was happening there obviously fizzled out (this would have been nearly 20 years ago), and I don't think I've seen many references to relationships of any kind since then.

Wait. What?!?!? One of the Arndts (Paul?) had a courtship 20 or so years ago?!?!? How did I not know about this? DIdn't he just turn 40 a couple months ago? Time to get back on that horse, Paul.

• Upvote 6

I just realized that the oldest manchild is close to my age and since I'm single, have played softball and I could date him. <shudder> but I'm divorced with 3 kids, don't wear white shorts and I'm a social justice Catholic. Whew! Close call ;)

• Haha 22

7 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I just realized that the oldest manchild is close to my age and since I'm single, have played softball and I could date him. <shudder> but I'm divorced with 3 kids, don't wear white shorts and I'm a social justice Catholic. Whew! Close call ;)

It's never too late to accept the true Jesus and don a pair of white shorts but do you like penguins? ?

• Upvote 4
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 28

If they do wind up getting married, will there be a Passing of the White Shorts ceremony?

Actually, never mind. Inquiring minds really do not want to know... 

But Holy 2020! It is a strange year for sure!

Edited by AnywhereButHere
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

On 11/1/2020 at 11:25 AM, nokidsmom said:

Entirely possible Luke found someone who might not mind life in Arndtville but it will be interesting to see what happens.   He might have seriously lucked out in finding someone who is OK with the penguins, washing pumpkins, and all the family weirdness. Or maybe Luke is more of an individual than we think.  Maybe he saw what life would be like if he just followed the family script and decided to take some control of his life.  Time will tell.

I cannot count the women I've known in my life who married guys thinking they could change them.  It never works.  A Mrs. Manboy-to-be might fall in love and believe she can eventually get him to agree to move away and create a separate life.  Problem is, I'm convinced this is a family cult, and that Rick is a very effective cult leader.  This adds a whole different dimension to things. 

I've always wondered why, of all the sons, Luke didn't turn up with a girlfriend.  But for all we know, there were some over the years, all of whom ran for the hills when they figured out what was going on. From what I've seen of him, I like Luke, but he's almost 36 years old and if he had an inkling that he's been "brainwashed" by his parents, surely he would have separated by now.  Rick's not going to let him go voluntarily, and I truly believe Luke would need some serious deprogramming to pull himself - and his wife - away from the Fam. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

Like all of us, I've enjoyed trying to untie the Gordian knot that is the Arndt Borg, but I've never listened to any of Rick's sermons. Obviously, they've allowed God to "dick-tate" the number of blessings, but what flavor of fundy are they otherwise?  Does Rick follow or allow himself to be inspired by other ministries or is it Safe at Home, First Church of Penguin Jesus all the way?

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Well, if you became involved with him, I'm sure Rick would be happy to take you for some of his car rides where he talks you into walking his straight and narrow path. Cathy or Wizzie could measure you for white shorts of your own. Also, since Rick and Cathy started out Catholic, I'm sure they'll feel comfortable thinking they can convert you to the Church of Rick.

• Upvote 7
  • Disgust 1

On 11/3/2020 at 9:54 AM, JenniferJuniper said:

I cannot count the women I've known in my life who married guys thinking they could change them.  It never works.  A Mrs. Manboy-to-be might fall in love and believe she can eventually get him to agree to move away and create a separate life.  Problem is, I'm convinced this is a family cult, and that Rick is a very effective cult leader.  This adds a whole different dimension to things. 

I have known a few too, who thought they could change the guys they married and no, it never works.   Your partner should not be a "project" to work on and change, and definitely don't mess with the family stuff if you don't like what you see.  The family has been around a lot longer than you have.  Rick's control over the family should be not underestimated by any woman hoping to snag a man boy.   

I suppose there might be one or two women who might be fooled by the family's "closeness" seeing it as all nice and harmless, but given it's taken this long for just one (presumably) girlfriend to finally surface shows likely others have not lasted this long.   

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Mr. Possum is quite a fan of Original Penguin Brand Shirts (aka Munsingwear). Should I be concerned?

https://www.originalpenguin.com/

image.png.c404b1f6e2c09c5cd5a300653fb12194.png

My son has several Original Penguin Brand Shirts too.  He is also a critical thinker and is ridin' with Biden, so I think you are fine.  :)   

• Upvote 8

32 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Mr. Possum is quite a fan of Original Penguin Brand Shirts (aka Munsingwear). Should I be concerned?

https://www.originalpenguin.com/

image.png.c404b1f6e2c09c5cd5a300653fb12194.png

Mine too! I think the material used in shirts is pretty soft and comfy. That’s why my husband prefers them. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Only if he's discussed the need for you to be wearing White Shorts after Memorial Day. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

On 11/5/2020 at 11:45 AM, Howl said:

Only if he's discussed the need for you to be wearing White Shorts after Memorial Day. 

I don't trust my self to wear white shorts, pants or skirts, ever. I'm always certain I will spill something.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 7

8 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I don't trust my self to wear white shorts, pants or skirts, ever. I'm always certain I will spill something.

Same. I’ve never claimed to be graceful. I’m rather klutzy at times. Dribbling food or coffee on myself happens regularly. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Same. I’ve never claimed to be graceful. I’m rather klutzy at times. Dribbling food or coffee on myself happens regularly. 

I can never seem to remember that white tops and red wine are not necessarily a good match.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

11 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

I can never seem to remember that white tops and red wine are not necessarily a good match.

In the before-Covid times, I only ordered white wine on long flights because I was sure we'd hit turbulence and that glass of red would be all over me.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

On 11/6/2020 at 2:41 AM, nokidsmom said:

I have known a few too, who thought they could change the guys they married and no, it never works.   Your partner should not be a "project" to work on and change, and definitely don't mess with the family stuff if you don't like what you see.  The family has been around a lot longer than you have.  Rick's control over the family should be not underestimated by any woman hoping to snag a man boy.   

I think to an extent this depends on the age of the man in question and the level of control the family has. I agree that you can't change someone, but since meeting my husband when he was 25 and his youngest brother was 19, all three of the sons have disentangled themselves from their mother's crazy to varying degrees. MIL has blamed every girlfriend they've had for "turning them against her" but realistically all the girlfriends did was give the men a reason to move out of home and expose them to the girlfriends' own, normal families. It's been an ugly, bumpy ride with lots of arguments and MIL tantrums that will probably never end, but the brothers have at least figured out how to set boundaries and stay firm on them.

I don't see that happening for the Arndts though. They're more cult than family. Still, Jill Duggar surprised us so who knows.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Smee said:

Still, Jill Duggar surprised us so who knows

Ooooh, just googled for an update on this. Very interesting.  Jeans! Birth control! 

OK, now back to regular Arndt programming. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Smee said:

I think to an extent this depends on the age of the man in question and the level of control the family has. I agree that you can't change someone, but since meeting my husband when he was 25 and his youngest brother was 19, all three of the sons have disentangled themselves from their mother's crazy to varying degrees. MIL has blamed every girlfriend they've had for "turning them against her" but realistically all the girlfriends did was give the men a reason to move out of home and expose them to the girlfriends' own, normal families

To the bolded: I agree with you that there are variables in this in terms of the family itself and the individual trying to differentiate from the family.  So some can do it while others can't, even in the same family structure.  I personally extricated myself from my parents' control pretty quickly (but not easily)  but my two sisters had a much harder time.  It took years and a personal crisis for one sister to do it, the other never has.   

I am glad to hear that your husband and his brothers were able to achieve that emotional separation from crazy Mom and maintain boundaries.   Exposure to other families via friends/girlfriends/boyfriends even extended family can make a big difference.   The situations where I have personally seen where siblings remain entangled are usually rather insular or with very blurred boundaries.  Often the young adults are not "allowed" to move out.  Back in my single days, I once turned down a very nice guy, who on the face of things looked like he could be the best boyfriend ever (pleasant good looks, good job, etc. what was there not to like?)   Why?  Because I knew his sister and dating him would be like a whole family affair because of the enmeshment going on.  The last girl who "broke his heart", omg one would have thought she did it to the whole family, not just him that's how involved they were in each other's business.     And honestly I can see the Arndts being like this given their cultist family structure, but I might be wrong.   Because who would have thought Jill Duggar would have made the break?

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

So I watched a few minutes of the FamTeam Sunday snoozefest (with songs!) yesterday, and lasted long enough to hear who I assume was an elderly relative (he looks like a ManBoy at 80) talk about strength.  As in having the strength not to wear a mask in public where required.  To be brave enough to withstand the persecution of it all.  Yes, grandpa, you stay away from those demonic little strips of cotton!  No good will come from you avoiding Covid.  I'm sure Jesus implied this somewhere in the Bible. 

And then Rick told everyone to pray for January 6th, which is going to be a momentous day in American history.  The electors are going to be counted and Mike Pence is going to choose the alternative slate (you know, the slate that didn't include African American votes) and give Donald Trump - and himself -  four more years. 

Bat shit crazy and dumb as a box of rocks.  Not a good combination. 

• Upvote 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic