IGNORED

Melanie Maxwell Baby Update: Deborah Carol Is Here

mango_fandango

My name, Claudia, has an “English” pronunciation and a “European” one. It’s to do with how the ‘au’ is pronounced. The “English” way is like “or” (bit like the word ‘claw’), the “European” way is like “ow” (as in ‘cloud’). My parents obviously used the English way, then I started learning German at school, taught by native Germans, and I became used to the “European” way (the reason I use English and European is based on the way my parents say it versus the way my German teacher said it). Some English people tend to use the “European” way... some people have even asked me how I pronounce my name and I just explain that I’m used to both. 

Hope that made sense :pb_lol: Essentially there are two main ways my name is pronounced and I’m used to both.

• Upvote 6

I won't say my name because I don't want to dox myself. But it's Irish. Very Irish. And long. And about 90% of the population wouldn't be able to pronounce it from sight. I go by a diminutive of it but I'm happy with my name. I'll always have to spell it out to people and my surname as well. But it comes from an Irish legend preserved for centuries and I love that it's still used today. It's meaning is really weird though. My ancesters obviously had some weird fetishes going on.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 6/26/2019 at 9:17 AM, danvillebelle said:

I've gone by my nickname pretty much my whole life.  The first time I went to college, I tried to be all official and go by my given first name...it didn't work because I never remembered to respond, I always thought people were talking to someone else.  :pb_lol:

I spent a lifetime spelling out my maiden name for people (it's short but easily misunderstood).  It got to the point that by about age 10 I just automatically spelled it out after I said it.  I was SO happy to be rid of it when I married.

My maiden name was long, ethnic, and butchered in pronunciation 99.9% of the time. In all settings I waited for first name and the long pause, and I’d say here.  Upon marriage, I Gladly changed my name to a short, ethnic, but easily recognized and pronounced name.

3 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

I won't say my name because I don't want to dox myself. But it's Irish. Very Irish. And long. And about 90% of the population wouldn't be able to pronounce it from sight. I go by a diminutive of it but I'm happy with my name. I'll always have to spell it out to people and my surname as well. But it comes from an Irish legend preserved for centuries and I love that it's still used today. It's meaning is really weird though. My ancesters obviously had some weird fetishes going on.

My nephew and his wife, both Irish Americans, gave their kids Irish names. 2/3 are unrecognizable in terms of pronunciation. I feel bad for the kids. It would be one thing if they were living in Ireland. Everyone has shortened their names too. I still can’t spell them without looking at their birth announcements. So.many.vowels.

• Upvote 6

9 hours ago, feministxtian said:

Caroline is my first name...although it's not what my mother wanted. My father vetoed the Spanish variant. Then there's my 9 letter first middle name, my 5 letter second middle name, 6 letter first last name (my mother's maiden name) and 11 letter second last name (incredibly German). I was 18" long at birth and my name was even longer. I only use my first, first middle and married last name now. My original driver's license took something like 4 lines to put my whole name on. 

NOBODY pronounces my first name correctly. It's pronounced just like it's spelled. It's not Carolyn, Caroleen, or any of that other shit. CAR-O-LINE. it's not fucking rocket science. It's not even a fucking foreign language. And, I hate it with a bloody blue passion. Anybody who names their kid that needs to be taken out behind the barn and beaten until they change their minds (I'll do it). 

I usually just ask on that one I've met too many Carolines who pronounce their name Carolyn or Caroleen or vica versa. I'm not entirely sure why spell it with "lyn" or "line" if you don't that pronunciation.

My mom and I have unique first names. Both are pronounced exactly how they look but everyone gets them wrong. Mine is a common name with a different first letter kind of like Maura instead of Laura but everyone gets it wrong. Pronouncing it like a guy's name or thinking its just like another name that starts with the same letter except its not because all the other letters are different or just really weird guesses. I really don't know why its so hard. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, SassyPants said:

So.many.vowels.

They can take our freedom, our food and our faith but they can never take our vowels!!!!

• Haha 12

Hell, my name is Jane and so freaking many people manage to screw that up!

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

They can take our freedom, our food and our faith but they can never take our vowels!!!!

Are you all related to the Polynesians/Hawai'ians? Because we LOOOOOVEEEE our vowels too! Like the fish Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

Every word in Hawai'ian ends with a vowel (Hawai'ian isn't a hawai'ian word, we call ourselves kanaka)

Irish Hawai'ian connection! 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, zee_four said:

Because we LOOOOOVEEEE our vowels too! Like the fish Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

High School Musical flashback!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, LilMissMetaphor said:
8 hours ago, zee_four said:

Because we LOOOOOVEEEE our vowels too! Like the fish Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

High School Musical flashback!

See, I flashed to the kid's show, Octonauts.

Now I'm going to be humming "Creature Report" all day! :pb_lol:

Spoiler

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 7

On 8/1/2019 at 12:14 PM, Hane said:

Hell, my name is Jane and so freaking many people manage to screw that up!

Is it because you spell Jane with an H? :kitty-shifty:

• Haha 18
  • Love 1

My name is similar to a much more common (but very different) name. Think Amabelle vs Annabelle or Melanie vs Melody.

It annoys me so much when I introduce myself and they immediately use the wrong version. I have a colleague who always uses the wrong one even after I correct her. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

Is it because you spell Jane with an H? :kitty-shifty:

In my old job, I used my long-standing nickname Hane on our IM system because a more senior team member was also a Jane. One so-and-so informed me of my “typo.”

No, actually I get Jan or Joan all the time, and people get pissed off when I don’t immediately respond. Once in community theater, I got a snippy phone call from the stage director asking why I wasn’t at our first rehearsal. I said my name wasn’t on the call list. She said it was—but it clearly said Joan. (It was a large cast and I didn’t yet know everyone.) 

And I get “Anne” a lot—even from people who don’t know that’s my daughter’s name. That one I don’t mind’

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

One of our members here has a username that is my first name and it trips me up every time I see her! It’s a unisex name and it’s mostly served me fine but I used to get a lot of mail addressed to “Mr.”

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 10:46 AM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

See, I flashed to the kid's show, Octonauts.

Now I'm going to be humming "Creature Report" all day! :pb_lol:

Reveal hidden contents

And I thought of the Reef Triggerfish, cos I'm a scuba diver who does fish IDs/counts. ? ?

• Love 2