IGNORED

Melanie Maxwell Baby Update: Deborah Carol Is Here

mango_fandango

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I really can’t stand when people put a lot of pressure on the child to live up to their name meaning. What if Joy Duggar wasn’t always joyful? What if little Debbie isn’t a warrior for Christ? I think it’s completely ridiculous to saddle a newborn with expectations from day one. 

I’m screwed then: one meaning of my name is “gift of God.”

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Hane said:

Mine too.  Idk about you but I am an epic fail at living up to that.

• Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 4

Firstly I am so glad Mel had an good pregnancy and got a lovely healthy baby. I also quite like the name Deborah. I  note that the doctor was referred to as 'she'. How fuckin' dare these people refuse education or even autonomy to females with one breathe and then see a female doctor. Pisses me the hell off!!!

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Myfanwy said:

Firstly I am so glad Mel had an good pregnancy and got a lovely healthy baby. I also quite like the name Deborah. I  note that the doctor was referred to as 'she'. How fuckin' dare these people refuse education or even autonomy to females with one breathe and then see a female doctor. Pisses me the hell off!!!

In theory I agree with you 100%.  But if they are going to be hypocrites I'm glad it was to the end of proper medical care.  

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Here’s my main beef with the bane: it’s clunky. 

The second band should have three syllables, like Deborah. Deborah Carolyn (or Caroline or Carolann) — that (those) have a lilt to them. A rhythm, if you will. 

Deborah Carol.  [screeching brake sound]

JMHO but I’m stickin’ to it. True to my baby-boomer-hood, two of my closest friends are Deborah and Carolyn. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

12 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:
12 hours ago, Hane said:

Mine too.  Idk about you but I am an epic fail at living up to that.

My name means "God is gracious". (I think lots of names are some variation of that.) I feel no pressure from that meaning, thankfully!

• Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 1

3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

My name means "God is gracious". (I think lots of names are some variation of that.) I feel no pressure from that meaning, thankfully!

The way I see it, our God Rufus has been extremely gracious in blessing us with you! :)

• Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1

On 5/19/2019 at 1:30 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

In theory I agree with you 100%.  But if they are going to be hypocrites I'm glad it was to the end of proper medical care.  

Well. Yes. I am glad they got proper care too. Still. Grrr. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 5/18/2019 at 10:59 PM, MamaJunebug said:

Here’s my main beef with the bane: it’s clunky. 

The second band should have three syllables, like Deborah. Deborah Carolyn (or Caroline or Carolann) — that (those) have a lilt to them. A rhythm, if you will. 

Deborah Carol.  [screeching brake sound]

JMHO but I’m stickin’ to it. True to my baby-boomer-hood, two of my closest friends are Deborah and Carolyn. 

But it’s pronounced with 2 syllables- like Debra, so Deborah Carol fits your rhythm. 

• Upvote 4

On 5/18/2019 at 12:02 PM, mango_fandango said:

I’ll never live up to my name meaning unless I break my leg :pb_lol:

Your name is Flamingo!?!?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13

I missed the boat on this subject in the other thread (the old vest-debt-free thread) but the first Carol I thought of was Carol Danvers.  Really not the role model they're looking for.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

On 5/23/2019 at 8:04 PM, CyborgKin said:

I missed the boat on this subject in the other thread (the old vest-debt-free thread) but the first Carol I thought of was Carol Danvers.  Really not the role model they're looking for.

I thought of Carol Burnett, who would never fit in with the Maxwells. Oh, no! Can you imagine?

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

Okay I have to say it... My name is Deborah and I absolutely hate it. I am a baby-boomer but on the younger side, named when the name was petering out and my mother was a new immigrant to the US. It's fast becoming an old lady name. I started a new job after 20 years with the old one and everyone who met me said, "Oh my mother-in-law's name is Deborah or Debbie" or something to that effect. In 10 years it will be even more so like Phyllis or Shirley. Maybe it will come back in 100 years but I don't think so. I did have a great grandmother named Emma and I thought that was the worst name ever and now it's in the top ten.

I know there are those who don't agree with me but since I have had to carry around this name long enough, my opinion should count for something. I have been obsessed with names lately. (I didn't realize until now that my last post was about names. I would totally be down for a thread about names. A friend told me that all Debbie's are obsessed with names and why not? There were a million of us around (more than all the Jessica's and Ashley's in the sky) and there were unfortunate connotations like "Debbie Downer" and "Debbie does Dallas." Even Sponge Bob named his sea horse Debbie after declining Grace or Majesty. So they get negative points for the name. My guess is that they are naming the peanut after someone in the family and don't want to admit it.  

• Love 6

20 hours ago, Whipple said:

Okay I have to say it... My name is Deborah and I absolutely hate it. I am a baby-boomer but on the younger side, named when the name was petering out and my mother was a new immigrant to the US. It's fast becoming an old lady name. I started a new job after 20 years with the old one and everyone who met me said, "Oh my mother-in-law's name is Deborah or Debbie" or something to that effect. In 10 years it will be even more so like Phyllis or Shirley. Maybe it will come back in 100 years but I don't think so. I did have a great grandmother named Emma and I thought that was the worst name ever and now it's in the top ten.

I know there are those who don't agree with me but since I have had to carry around this name long enough, my opinion should count for something. I have been obsessed with names lately. (I didn't realize until now that my last post was about names. I would totally be down for a thread about names. A friend told me that all Debbie's are obsessed with names and why not? There were a million of us around (more than all the Jessica's and Ashley's in the sky) and there were unfortunate connotations like "Debbie Downer" and "Debbie does Dallas." Even Sponge Bob named his sea horse Debbie after declining Grace or Majesty. So they get negative points for the name. My guess is that they are naming the peanut after someone in the family and don't want to admit it.  

It's kind of a shame that Deborah gets such a bad rap these days, since Deborah in the Torah was pretty badass. But these days I see it used alongside Karen and Susan as a placeholder name for the sort of white lady who yells at Target cashiers. I really wonder if it being the name of Eminem's mom had something to do with that, since the line "I settled all my lawsuits, fuck you, Debbie!" from the song Without Me is kind of burned into millennial pop cultural memory. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I don't believe I have ever yelled at a Target cashier.  This thread is making me crack up.   Naming a new baby is a minefield.   First you go through all the names you might like, but know and dislike someone with that name, then you weed through all the expected family gems, like in mine; Wilbert, Lester (hubby), Stanley, Vernon, Seward, Neola and more.  You also have to eliminate all the names already in use in the family including the names you siblings have mentally reserved for their own future kids, but haven't told you yet.   Then you weed out all of today's popular names, names of serial killers and notorious celebrities.   Once you find something you can live with, you have to make sure the initials don't spell something objectionable, like SIN or LIE, or WTF or worse.  Final test, yell the entire name as loud as you can, like you are scolding a bad kid, how does it sound????   Good Luck.   

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 15
  • Love 4

My incredibly beautiful, inside and out, sister in law was named Deborah. She died in 2006 and I have missed her every day since then. She and I were roughly the same age, she was 6 weeks older than me. 

My name? It's "continued on next sheet". My parents got into the LOOOOOOOOONG names. My brother (who died shortly after he was born) was William Joseph. I got bagged with a name that was longer than I was at birth. It's just now getting popular, and I feel sorry for every girl who gets pegged with it. Nobody gets it right, pronounces or spells it right. It's not that damn hard, it's pronounced exactly how it's spelled. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 3

Feministxtian, I would dearly love to know what your name is, I'm trying to solve it like a puzzle, but coming up blank.  I'm a 1952 Deborah, right at the start of the trend, middle name Sue, raised Catholic so have Cecilia pegged on as my confirmation name.   My sister couldn't say Debby so she called me Sue-Sue, which stuck and with so many Debby/Debbies  my classes, I was called Sue until middle school.  I've also been blessed with three last names, one via divorce, that have all had to be spelled and often mispronounced.    At this point in my life, Deborah seems bland and fairly normal compared to all of the vague gender, creatively spelled names being used today.  It's an old lady name, and I'm an old lady.   Things could be a whole lot worse.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 4

My biggest BFF in the world is a Deborah.  She is beautiful on the inside and out and she gets me like nobody else I have ever met in my life.  We share almost a telepathy as friends.  Nobody can make me laugh like her and vice versa.  She immigrated with her family from Korea in the 1970s and her Mom renamed her and her sisters with very "white" names.  I believe they were named after some of the first friends Deb's Mom made outside of the Korean community.  I miss Deb's Mom so much.  She died about 25 years ago.  I used to spend a lot of time there when we were growing up and although Deb's Mom and I could not communicate in language, I appreciated so much her care and love through food.  Hey Deb, if you are reading this I bought some really nasty kimchi a few weeks ago and garbage day cannot arrive fast enough.  Geez, now I am hungry for Korean food bigly.

• Love 4

On 5/20/2019 at 9:12 PM, Kailash said:

But it’s pronounced with 2 syllables- like Debra, so Deborah Carol fits your rhythm. 

I suppose.  Pity they aren’t saying Deb-o-rah. Being able to pronounce it in the Hebrew fashion — “De-BOR-ah” — is a swell “ you in trouble, girl,” tool for Nate & Mel’s use. 

Not that a Maxgirl ever disobeys.  It’s just not scheduled! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5
  • Love 1

@MamaJunebug,  if someone is going to use the name Caroline, for pete's sake, they should pronounce it properly:  Care-o-line.  If you're going to pronounce it Carolyn, spell it that way.

It always bugged me on Little House on the Prairie how almost every character on mispronounced Caroline as Carolyn.  I think the only character who pronounced it correctly was Harriet Oleson. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@MamaJunebug,  if someone is going to use the name Caroline, for pete's sake, they should pronounce it properly:  Care-o-line.  If you're going to pronounce it Carolyn, spell it that way.

It always bugged me on Little House on the Prairie how almost every character on mispronounced Caroline as Carolyn.  I think the only character who pronounced it correctly was Harriet Oleson. 

Love that show even if some of the storylines were ridiculous like Mary getting married.  Love the books even more.

• Upvote 2

On 5/26/2019 at 8:13 AM, Lady Grass Lake said:

I don't believe I have ever yelled at a Target cashier.  This thread is making me crack up.   Naming a new baby is a minefield.   First you go through all the names you might like, but know and dislike someone with that name, then you weed through all the expected family gems, like in mine; Wilbert, Lester (hubby), Stanley, Vernon, Seward, Neola and more.  You also have to eliminate all the names already in use in the family including the names you siblings have mentally reserved for their own future kids, but haven't told you yet.   Then you weed out all of today's popular names, names of serial killers and notorious celebrities.   Once you find something you can live with, you have to make sure the initials don't spell something objectionable, like SIN or LIE, or WTF or worse.  Final test, yell the entire name as loud as you can, like you are scolding a bad kid, how does it sound????   Good Luck.   

And then you wait fifteen or sixteen years until your daughter's more trendily-named friends convince her that she has an old lady name, so from then on you get to hear your daughter complain on a daily basis about how much she hates her name. No amount of explaining that (a) it's a beautiful classic name with a long tradition behind it; (b) it goes well with a last name that unfortunately has a rhyming last syllable with many otherwise nice female names; (c) if she hates it that much she's welcome to choose one of the two or three dozen nicknames associated with that name; or (d) she's also free to use her (classic, not-trendy) middle name, has so far succeeded in stopping the endless name-whining and threats to change it when she's 18.

Honestly, as the person who chose that name in the first place, the entire litany is not only tiresome, it's hurtful.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, VVV said:

And then you wait fifteen or sixteen years until your daughter's more trendily-named friends convince her that she has an old lady name, so from then on you get to hear your daughter complain on a daily basis about how much she hates her name. No amount of explaining that (a) it's a beautiful classic name with a long tradition behind it; (b) it goes well with a last name that unfortunately has a rhyming last syllable with many otherwise nice female names; (c) if she hates it that much she's welcome to choose one of the two or three dozen nicknames associated with that name; or (d) she's also free to use her (classic, not-trendy) middle name, has so far succeeded in stopping the endless name-whining and threats to change it when she's 18.

Honestly, as the person who chose that name in the first place, the entire litany is not only tiresome, it's hurtful.

This is so interesting because it’s not at all my experience. Somewhere in each of my pregnancies, I had a couple of names in mind for the impending Junior Junebug, and every time, a first look told me the name was right. 

Luckily, none of them ever beeched about their names. In fact, most have said they like them just fine.  I tell them they pretty much named themselves. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/18/2019 at 4:21 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

And further unrelated sidenote: I think Archie Harrison is a cute name, but Archie pokes right at my pet peeve about using nicknames/diminutives as legal names. 

I named my daughter the diminutive form of another name,  though both are used and neither in very common. I love her name and hate the formal name.  I got a lot of flak for it... like,  how can a Supreme Court justice be named X? I'm not really too worried about that.  The odds are,  what, 9 in 300,000,000? 

• Upvote 4