IGNORED

Dillards 76: Somewhat successful social media?!?

Georgiana

The real problem Jill is facing is that you don't get a clean slate just because you finally figure something out.  Jill and Derick have been actually obnoxious on social media for so long that now that Jill's finally getting a bit better, she still seems obnoxious to a degree because that's the impression she gave off for so long.  Everything that's a little off stands out more and grates on the reader because we're used to looking for it, whereas if she had started off like Jessa or Jinger, we probably would write all that off as "pleasantly quirky".  

And that's normal.  Jill would do better to take a small break from social media, really polish up some posts, and then come back with those polished posts to help "reset" her image.  

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

21 hours ago, Georgiana said:

We have those pantries around here!  They look like the Little Free Libraries (at least here) because they are the food version of the same thing.  We call them "Little Free Pantries".  And the reason they exist is to allow people to access food with no questions asked.  I didn't know this until recently, but there can actually be a LOT of barriers to accessing food pantries sometimes.  And this can cause people to be without food and without a way to obtain it.  LFPs aren't meant to deter people from seeking aid, but they are meant to fill the gaps for people who don't qualify for many assistance programs, may not generally require assistance, but still may need a short term solution to feed themselves and their families.  So, for example, a family who makes too much to qualify for aid, but still lives paycheck to paycheck and has had their grocery budget slashed due to an unexpected bill.  They don't need food stamps, they don't need regular access to a food pantry, and they don't even need a full cart of food...but they may need a few things to help them fill bellies until the next paycheck.  

We have a little free pantry in front of the library that I work at! 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 4

39 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I find that really odd because plenty of kids that young eat spicy foods and they turn out completely fine. 

My three year old likes his food to have flavor. He loves salsa. He frequently asks for salsa with his food or will try whatever he is refusing to eat after we add salsa. Mr. A and I always assumed he shares our love of spicy food.  

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Ali said:

My three year old likes his food to have flavor. He loves salsa. He frequently asks for salsa with his food or will try whatever he is refusing to eat after we add salsa. Mr. A and I always assumed he shares our love of spicy food.  

If my son doesn't like spicy food my husband might disown him. Totally kidding of course, but my husband is kind of known for his love of all foods spicy. In fact our garden this year is going to be purely peppers- everything from jalapenos to scotch bonnets to reapers. He'll use those to make his own hot sauces that he will put on literally every meal we eat. My son will eat his spicy chili so that's a good sign so far ?

• Upvote 7
  • Love 4

1 minute ago, JesSky03 said:

If my son doesn't like spicy food my husband might disown him. Totally kidding of course, but my husband is kind of known for his love of all foods spicy. In fact our garden this year is going to be purely peppers- everything from jalapenos to scotch bonnets to reapers. He'll use those to make his own hot sauces that he will put on literally every meal we eat. My son will eat his spicy chili so that's a good sign so far ?

I have a son who adores spicy food ever since he discovered it ...he’ll order the wings they have to warn you about and has a collection of hot sauces that would ruin food for me forever if I used them.

neither his dad nor I like spicy food at all...no one in the family likes anything hotter than mild Taco Bell sauce and I’ve got a kid who adds habeneros to pasta salad.

• Upvote 7

25 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I have a son who adores spicy food ever since he discovered it ...he’ll order the wings they have to warn you about and has a collection of hot sauces that would ruin food for me forever if I used them.

neither his dad nor I like spicy food at all...no one in the family likes anything hotter than mild Taco Bell sauce and I’ve got a kid who adds habeneros to pasta salad.

Yeah idk who my husband gets it from. His own mom can't even eat mild sauce without calling it spicy lol. One time my BIL got this idea that he and my husband should both eat a whole habanero just because. Well hours later BIL is lying in agony on his bed and meanwhile my husband was just fine. My husband did pretend that it was super hot for him while he was eating it but admitted to me later he just did that so his brother wouldn't feel as bad ?

I personally like spicy foods but not as much as my husband. One time he made these wings that were so spicy I was getting dizzy as I ate them and felt high for a bit afterwards. It was a long night too of stomach pains which I had to suffer through in order to get up with and nurse my son. He usually will ask me now for reference if his food is too spicy or not because he clearly cannot be a good judge of that lol. 

Edited by JesSky03
  • Upvote 7

@JesSky03,  you've planted Carolina Reaper in your garden? Wow!  I used a drop of Grim Reaper sauce in my Hollandaise on Easter whenI realized at the last minute I had neither cayenne or Tabasco to put in it.    The Grim Reaper sauce worked great. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

She has zero self awareness. I would just expect that since she has been active in the public arena for so long that she would have acquired some skills in this area.

She was a kid on a reality show, and someone else did the editing.  Jill herself never had to figure out what the public should and should not see until she started doing her own social media, then she and Derick made some pretty enormous mistakes, assuming they were trying to come off as decent people. It's going to take a huge amount of effort to fix all that. The internet has a long memory and even a dumb animal is once bitten, twice shy.

• Upvote 11

My husband grew up eating normal, bland American fare. Then he married me. He learned to eat spicy food. My kids will eat almost anything, the things they don't like are very bland (mayo, tomatoes). 

A long time ago, a guy I worked with grew some Habaneros. He brought them to work and he and another guy were eating them with the attendant sweating and red face. They asked me if I wanted one so I said "sure" Guy 1 smirked at Guy 2 like "she's gonna lose her shit". Only thing that happened to me was I got hiccups and was looking for some tequila (not gonna happen at work). They were dumbfounded and I had to disclose my "undercover redacted” self. 

Yes, I refer to myself as "undercover Redacted". I look pretty much generic caucasian, have a southern (USA) accent and tend not to reveal my ethnicity in certain situations. However, I am Latina, I do speak Spanish and do not have a gringo accent when I speak it. 

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
Redacted a word
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 4

6 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

Was also appalled by some commenters on her Instagram who said “they’re just baby teeth.” Yikes. 

I hate it when people have that attitude about their children's dental health. Giving children too many sugary treats early on, helps them develop bad habits later on. Where I live has been voted the worst place for dental health in Europe and it's common for children to have all their baby teeth pulled due to decay as their parents and other adults think it's acceptable to give them endless amounts of sugary sweets and fizzy drinks. When I worked in KFC I used to see customers put pepsi in a bottle for their toddler.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 8
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ali said:

We’ve fed our daughter Indian food. We get our Chicken Tikka Masala on the mild side, but it’s still got more heat than other stuff she’s more used to. She’ll eat the rice with some of the sauce and seems to do fine with it (she doesn’t like meat much at this point, so she usually won’t eat the actual chicken.) Same with our chili and burrito filling, all of which we alter the heat on depending on how we feel. She also loves salsa and chips when we’ve taken her out to Mexican restaurants before. 

I figure some people just don’t like or do well with spicy stuff and that’s absolutely ok, but I also think it’s something a lot of people can probably learn to like or at least tolerate. Sam is never going to learn to enjoy different foods if he doesn’t get a chance to try them. If his parents are serving it up with a steaming side of white savior complex then that’s a pretty crappy thing to do and deserves criticism, but simply offering him different foods isn’t something I’d ever criticize someone for.

• Upvote 12

Breaking bread with someone is sharing a mini-part of your life with them. It's a big part of friendship and family bonding. I was thrilled to see Jill eat a civil meal with a Muslim woman and so dis-heartened that she was bringing a side dish of "white savior complex" to this woman's dinner table. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@JesSky03,  you've planted Carolina Reaper in your garden? Wow!  I used a drop of Grim Reaper sauce in my Hollandaise on Easter whenI realized at the last minute I had neither cayenne or Tabasco to put in it.    The Grim Reaper sauce worked great. 

I think he's got a few different reapers- I can't remember all their names but I know he likes the chocolate reapers. My husband doesn't like to do too many reapers though since they aren't really his favorite- he likes to try and find peppers with good heat  but also lots of flavor. Now I'm craving some hot home made hot sauce ?

• Upvote 3

My husband and I totally play soccer in our living room..... are we doing something wrong? :pb_lol: We are really just big kids. And now that we have a puppy, she joins in on the fun.

The cats....definitely not fans of soccer.

I remember Spurgeon at one point was seen eating Salsa. Granted, we don't know how mild or spicy the salsa was, but I don't remember anyone being as concerned about the spice level then (compared to Jill/Israel and the curry). I agree that Jill gets picked on for everything. I also believe it started because there was SO MUCH to actually criticize her for, and then it got a little carried away.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 2

22 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

My husband and I totally play soccer in our living room..... are we doing something wrong? :pb_lol: We are really just big kids. And now that we have a puppy, she joins in on the fun.

The cats....definitely not fans of soccer.

I remember Spurgeon at one point was seen eating Salsa. Granted, we don't know how mild or spicy the salsa was, but I don't remember anyone being as concerned about the spice level then (compared to Jill/Israel and the curry). I agree that Jill gets picked on for everything. I also believe it started because there was SO MUCH to actually criticize her for, and then it got a little carried away.

well I mean I was always taught not to play with Balls in the house so things didn't get broken :56247976a36a8_Gigglespatgiggle:

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

well I mean I was always taught not to play with Balls in the house so things didn't get broken :56247976a36a8_Gigglespatgiggle:

And you’ll be grounded.  There goes your camping trip!

• Haha 5
  • Love 6

43 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

My husband and I totally play soccer in our living room..... are we doing something wrong

Last time my dad visited, I had to scold him about throwing balls in the house and setting so good example for his grandchildren.

• Haha 11

Ok. I finally had a little time to go back and look. I found these on their website. The first screenshot is from the letter the Dills wrote Izzy for his first birthday:

933ED804-D486-4811-96A4-042B34B2350A.thumb.png.ce476e03e2eb4f92b050382b6c365388.png

In it Jill lists Bananas, papayas, and avocados as his favorite foods at the time. She also mentions he got to try GoGo Squeeze - portable apple sauce pouches - around that time too. 

There are also these two photos of his visit to the Dentist last December. His teeth are clearly pretty normal looking in the second photo:

Spoiler

049EFC0A-DA77-4AA2-A5F4-32A6C7A84817.thumb.jpeg.36ecb7f0ea6635bad90c7c5541545c6a.jpeg

Spoiler

F8CFE1DF-4771-48CB-8B56-D66C53900EE5.thumb.jpeg.5e7d5b8bdaabe4d6c2c675ebe6b7e060.jpeg

Israel appears to like Hummus as well, which can be a great source of protein:

Spoiler

88EB571E-86A0-4D41-8471-4255EEF201F0.thumb.jpeg.473844a177db1affb2e0298663df8959.jpeg

There are other photos I didn’t grab, but they include both boys eating produce. They seem to be shown eating more vegetables than fruits (favorites seem to be sweet potatoes and green beans), but that’s not a bad thing as I’ve always been told you should eat less fruit and more vegetables. 

Heres one from Instagram of Sam eating sweet potatoes:

Spoiler

CA40ABBA-C43B-47D8-9302-E5C39F6BAA79.thumb.jpeg.cecfff976c484d6e470858e5f16da210.jpeg

That’s all I have time for. I think people need to keep in mind that Izzy is a toddler though and toddlers can be very picky eaters sometimes. My daughter is almost 2.5 and can go from liking something to hating it within the same meal. Izzy appears to be healthy though, so I see no need to be concerned for him in that specific regard. There’s plenty of evidence to refute the claims that they don’t feed their kids produce or that Izzy’s teeth are unhealthy. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, front hugs > duggs said:

I like you!!!

When I was married we used to play soccer in the house with our dog. We also played hide and go seek with our dog. Haha great memories!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

Jill likes the smell of playdo not sure why she felt the need to share that but it's in her IG stories right now. 

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Jill likes the smell of playdo not sure why she felt the need to share that but it's in her IG stories right now. 

I mean, I would eat it if it was edible. I've always fancied the smell so much and as a kid I licked playdough, and it was fine. But never ate it. It was The Forbidden Snack™.

Sometimes people like sharing random stuff. Don't see why Jill can't do that too.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, finnlassie said:

I mean, I would eat it if it was edible. I've always fancied the smell so much and as a kid I licked playdough, and it was fine. But never ate it. It was The Forbidden Snack™.

Sometimes people like sharing random stuff. Don't see why Jill can't do that too.

If you make it at home it's generally edible, especially the stuff with the kool aid, though it basically tastes like salt. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

It's not that I believe that Izzy and Sam never eat veggies or never have seen a doctor or dentist, by any means... I don't even think Jill would agree with the commenters' "they're just baby teeth" remark either, I mean we know her family was very into teeth because we saw many of the Duggars get braces on 19KAC. However, some photos of Israel's teeth really have them looking kind of "off" and discolored. Maybe it's just genetics, everyone's teeth are different and we know Derick has plenty of issues with his teeth situation. Maybe it is just the lighting. I don't mean to offend anyone, I certainly don't think the sole cause of this is lemons, the cause might even be beyond Jill's control. But I do think there are some photos that suggest tooth discoloration. :confusion-shrug:

Spoiler

Spoiler

fans-slam-jill-duggar-son-israel-toothbr

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

It's not that I believe that Izzy and Sam never eat veggies or never have seen a doctor or dentist, by any means... I don't even think Jill would agree with the commenters' "they're just baby teeth" remark either, I mean we know her family was very into teeth because we saw many of the Duggars get braces on 19KAC. However, some photos of Israel's teeth really have them looking kind of "off" and discolored. Maybe it's just genetics, everyone's teeth are different and we know Derick has plenty of issues with his teeth situation. Maybe it is just the lighting. I don't mean to offend anyone, I certainly don't think the sole cause of this is lemons, the cause might even be beyond Jill's control. But I do think there are some photos that suggest tooth discoloration. :confusion-shrug:

Hide contents

Hide contents

fans-slam-jill-duggar-son-israel-toothbr

First photo: It’s overcast and he’s chewing white gum. Both of those could very well impact how his teeth appear. Jill has pretty nice teeth, but even her’s don’t look sparkly white there. 

Second photo: Clearly poor lighting. Shadows are being cast onto his teeth and that’s causing them to look darker than they are. 

I’ve shared other photos upthread with better lighting and those show that his teeth really aren’t discolored, at least no more than normal. I really think his teeth are fine. 

Edited by VelociRapture
  • Upvote 8

Speaking of eating Play-Doh, that reminds me of how when we were in first and second grade we'd eat school paste.    Do they even make school paste anymore?

• Upvote 2

• Georgiana locked this topic