IGNORED

Dillards 76: Somewhat successful social media?!?

Georgiana

I like my cottage cheese with diced cucumber and green onion. It's particularly tasty after allowing a day for the flavors to meld.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1
  • Love 3

I think Wreck's IG post alone is enough to rescind this thread's title. :pb_lol: 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 5

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve been mixing pineapple and cottage cheese on my own for over a decade. People always thought I was weird for doing it. But I love it. 

I grew up loving cottage cheese and canned peaches. I still like it, but for some reason I never get around to putting it on the grocery list. That might have to change for this week's run.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, finnlassie said:

I have an unhealthy relationship with sugar, and I need to set myself boundaries.

I checked a pretty good list for FODMAP, and I think it's fine without added sugar? A lot of the allowed foods seem like I'm gonna be doing a lot of Asian food this summer.

It's definitely fine without it, I've just found that a lot of the foods I go to, particularly meals and snacks with little to no prep work have added sugar or I add sugar (almond milk, oatmeal, grits, protein bars, yogurt). Some of these I would add honey to instead, but that's not allowed, so sugar it is. Of course, a lot of my favorite go to meals (salmon, breakfast muffins, eggs and hashbrowns, stir fries) have no sugar, it's just the easy (for me) ones.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, BachelorToTheRapture said:

It's definitely fine without it, I've just found that a lot of the foods I go to, particularly meals and snacks with little to no prep work have added sugar or I add sugar (almond milk, oatmeal, grits, protein bars, yogurt). Some of these I would add honey to instead, but that's not allowed, so sugar it is. Of course, a lot of my favorite go to meals (salmon, breakfast muffins, eggs and hashbrowns, stir fries) have no sugar, it's just the easy (for me) ones. 

I guess I'm lucky in the sense that I hate yoghurt (and I'm dropping dairy anyways), all sorts of breakfast/protein bars... I don't even know what grits are. I know it's an American thing. They add sugar to almond milk there? I mean, I'm not sure if they do it here too, but then again I am exclusively drinking (Finnish) oatmilk. I suppose it's cultural, but porridge is something you add salt into. And then slap some butter/margarin and you're good to go.

I'm gonna have loads of curry stuff, I think! I love that chilis are on the recommended list. And coconut milk. My godmother is ace in Thai food (went to proper classes back in the day), she has so many good recipes.

• Upvote 7

Instant oatmeal, people tend to sweeten in some respect. Slower cooked oats or porridge and other cooked cereals are eaten sweet by some people, savory by others, both in their turns by others, like me. I like oats with an egg and butter on top and I like them with brown sugar and cream on top. 

Almond milk is unsweetened and it is also sweetened. We have far more to choose from here than will ever make sense to most of Earth, but then, it's a really big place with a wide variety of people, so there's at least some sense to it. 

• Upvote 7

I’ve been on the FODMAP diet for a few years now, due to IBS. It all sounded rather daunting at first (NO GARLIC! NO ONIONS!), but it gets so much easier with time. I can recommend two fantastic cookbooks that really helped me:

The Low Fodmap Diet Cookbook  and The Complete Low-Fodmap diet

Also, two incredible and really easy recipes:

Low-fodmap ketchup and Low-Fodmap sweet chilli sauce

Asafoetida (a spice available from Asian stores, or online) is also a fantastic substitute for onion and garlic in a lot of dishes. Argh, I could go on and on, but suffice to say, the Fodmap diet not only helped with my health, it also made me even more adventurous as a cook. I wouldn’t go back now, even if I could.

• Upvote 4

The sweet stuff for porridge here is usually fresh or frozen fruit as is, or banana.

5 hours ago, Threff said:

I’ve been on the FODMAP diet for a few years now, due to IBS. It all sounded rather daunting at first (NO GARLIC! NO ONIONS!), but it gets so much easier with time. I can recommend two fantastic cookbooks that really helped me:

The Low Fodmap Diet Cookbook  and The Complete Low-Fodmap diet

Also, two incredible and really easy recipes:

Low-fodmap ketchup and Low-Fodmap sweet chilli sauce

Asafoetida (a spice available from Asian stores, or online) is also a fantastic substitute for onion and garlic in a lot of dishes. Argh, I could go on and on, but suffice to say, the Fodmap diet not only helped with my health, it also made me even more adventurous as a cook. I wouldn’t go back now, even if I could.

Yeah, I'm terrified about no onions! Though apparently the green parts of spring onions are fine. But, every bowel's different, and for example I've noticed that I'm totally fine with apples, which are on the no no list. I live on apples. Oat-wheat mix bread is also ok in moderation, but thankfully 100% oat bread is widely available here and not even that expensive, maybe like 50cents to a euro more. But, this is encouraging me to just have more porridge and maybe have more fruit than eat bread. I just had a whole fresh pineapple today and it was soooooo gooooood.

I think in the end, giving up beans is a big deal for me, or just simply cutting them down immensley. I love all sorts of bean stuff, a lot. Bean stew, bean filling for tortillas, just beans in tomato souce out of the can (guilty pleasure snack)... oh, well.

Btw, my last dairy pizza looked just like what Jill had made earlier. And it was real fucking good. Just because food doesn't look like an instagram model doesn't mean it's bad.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

On 5/16/2019 at 7:11 PM, Snarkasarus Rex said:

[...] I honestly don’t think she is questioning their core beliefs, but she is definitely questioning her Duggar upbringing.

I think it is near impossible to do one without the other, even if inspection of your core values is a fleeting thought. The stronghold of fundamentalism is fearing you from thinking critically about what you're being taught/ practicing. Such thoughts are sinful. Sin will cause a great chasm. Isolation seems to be the second biggest fear short of going to hell itself with those who start to question.

I honestly don't know why Jill made that post, but it gave me the chills. Reminds me of my early days of pulling away. No, I did not denounce everything on the first day. It started with me separating from the centralized group. Then came the changing of my dress (which was huge for me). Later came philosophical shifts and much much later came equality for all/fully liberal views (which I got through education), etc.

Again, don't know what Jill meant by her instastory, but if she is sticking it to beliefs upheld by her parents -that no longer serve her, then good for her!!!! #breakaway

"Out of the darkness and into the sun!"

Edited by TatiFish9
Autocorrect
  • Upvote 8
  • Love 5

1 tin of cocktail shrimp - I quickly rinse

1 tin of mandarin oranges 

1 diced stalk of celery

1/4 cup chopped peanuts

1 tablespoon of mayo

Mix together with a touch (or more) of curry -  best lunch ever.

• Upvote 1

This thread just blew my mind. I did not know you could eat savory oatmeal, as in, it had never occurred to me to try. I miss grits (butter and a salt for me) all the time so you all may have just given me a good substitute!! Thank you!

• Upvote 5

38 minutes ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

This thread just blew my mind. I did not know you could eat savory oatmeal, as in, it had never occurred to me to try. I miss grits (butter and a salt for me) all the time so you all may have just given me a good substitute!! Thank you!

It still slightly shocks me every time when I hear that people don't add salt and butter to their porridge, even though I shouldn't be shocked by now, having this revalation come up to me for years. :eightdee:

• Upvote 5
  • Disgust 1

On 5/18/2019 at 9:14 AM, Space Cake said:

I like my cottage cheese with diced cucumber and green onion. It's particularly tasty after allowing a day for the flavors to meld.

You make me hungry... although I especially love cucumber and carrot slices dipped in hummus. Hmm... 

2 hours ago, finnlassie said:

It still slightly shocks me every time when I hear that people don't add salt and butter to their porridge, even though I shouldn't be shocked by now, having this revalation come up to me for years. :eightdee:

Aw, porridge... I’m drooling my way through FJ today ?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

I always put butter and salt in my oatmeal and sometimes even Parmesan cheese.  Sweet oatmeal should be outlawed 

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

34 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

I always put butter and salt in my oatmeal and sometimes even Parmesan cheese.  Sweet oatmeal should be outlawed 

Oatmeal with berries is okay though! Well, blueberries. I think all other berries just don't work with porridge.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

Sharp Cheddar cheese, some sautéed greens and leeks added to oatmeal is excellent!

• Upvote 2
  • Disgust 2
  • Rufus Bless 1

Thank you all for the ideas. Is an type of oats ok to do this with? Is one kind better than another?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

Thank you all for the ideas. Is an type of oats ok to do this with? Is one kind better than another?

I use quick, steel cut, usually Bob’s.

• Upvote 2

Does porridge = oatmeal?  I've seen conflicting reports.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, finnlassie said:

Oatmeal with berries is okay though! Well, blueberries. I think all other berries just don't work with porridge.

I put golden raisins in my oatmeal.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

On 5/18/2019 at 5:07 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

I think Wreck's IG post alone is enough to rescind this thread's title. :pb_lol: 

"Smoochie darling sweetie sweet muffin baby doll with cinnamon on top" (or a shortened version thereof) is in the running for the next thread though.

wtf is even going on with this pet name?!?  Who puts cinnamon on a baby doll?  And who posts something like this?  

Edited by Georgiana
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 16

20 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

"Smoochie darling sweetie sweet muffin baby doll with cinnamon on top" (or a shortened version thereof) is in the running for the next thread though.

wtf is even going on with this pet name?!?  Who puts cinnamon on a baby doll?  And who posts something like this?  

Who posts:

1) Immature and insecure people

2) Passive aggressive folks attempting to get a rise out of people

3). Attention seekers

• Upvote 6

Maybe Derick does apple pie body shots with Jill to start off "hey hey" time?

(Apple pie shots are vodka, apple cider with cinnamon on top)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

IMO every good meal starts with a base of sauteed onions and garlic. I wouldn't survive on this diet. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 12

19 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Who posts:

1) Immature and insecure people

2) Passive aggressive folks attempting to get a rise out of people

3). Attention seekers

There are also times when Derick posts videos of Jill/shares things about Jill where I wonder if part of his intent is to humiliate/embarrass her.  Fundie social media sometimes comes across as "off" or malice where there is none simply because so many fundie second gen kidults grew up isolated and failed to learn some social boundaries.  However, Derick has no excuse.  He was at a major university with social media.  He knows what he's doing.  He knows how this looks. 

And sometimes I get the feeling Derick absolutely intends it.  That he wants to subtly put her down and embarrass her in front of others in a way that she can't complain about because "he was just trying to be sweet", so any negative emotions she might feel are "crazy" or "ungrateful" and therefore invalid.  

I get the feeling Derick gaslights Jill, and Jill doesn't have the skills or knowledge to defend herself and instead thinks that she is the problem.  I wonder if that's where all her spark has gone.  

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 1

• Georgiana locked this topic