IGNORED

Dillards 76: Somewhat successful social media?!?

Georgiana

Her comments sound like a direct shot at Boob, since he told Jill God didn’t want her to be a nurse.  I’m sure Derick is gleefully telling her why Boob is wrong.  Boob acting like the hypocritical asshole he is only reinforces Derick’s position.

Jill is in a shitty spot.  She trusted Boob to discern ‘god’s will’ and find a husband for her, and now he apparently is at odds with the husband ‘god’ chose. I’m sure that’s eye opening for her.  I honestly don’t think she is questioning their core beliefs, but she is definitely questioning her Duggar upbringing.

Edited by Snarkasarus Rex
Can’t spell good
  • Upvote 18

9 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Her comments sound like a direct shot at Boob, since he told Jill God didn’t wasn’t her to be a nurse.  I’m sure Derick is gleefully telling her why Boob is wrong.  Boob acting like the hypocritical asshole he is only reinforces Derick’s position.

Jill is in a shitty spot.  She trusted Boob to discern ‘god’s will’ and find a husband for her, and now he apparently is at odds with the husband ‘god’ chose. I’m sure that’s eye opening for her.  I honestly don’t think she is questioning their core beliefs, but she is definitely questioning her Duggar upbringing.

I think Jill's problem is that she wanted to be the first Duggar daughter married and Jessa was already in a courtship so she had to take the first guy JB approved which happened to be Derick. I do believe that the girls get to say yes or no to the guys, if not Jana would already be married off. the whole time Jill and Derick were courting Derick always had to try and be in competition with Jessa and Ben on who would get engaged, married ect.. first. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Her comments sound like a direct shot at Boob, since he told Jill God didn’t want her to be a nurse.  I’m sure Derick is gleefully telling her why Boob is wrong.  Boob acting like the hypocritical asshole he is only reinforces Derick’s position.

Yep. I definitely think that DD has let what he thinks about JB and M’s parenting tactics fly within the walls of the Dillards’ home. I think a great deal of the angst that we have seen in Jill is a direct result of her realizing that her parents approach was not necessarily the healthiest or best way. Her beliefs have likely not changed much, but I think Jill is beginning to see that one can be a good, Godly ( their word) person and have a formal education, read books, watch films, attend a brick and mortar church, wear pants, shorts, drive alone to WM, and maybe (fingers crossed) work for a living. I think she is beginning to see how she and her sibs were robbed of rich experiences that can be life altering and limiting. It has to be a shock to her.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3

12 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Yep. I definitely think that DD has let what he thinks about JB and M’s parenting tactics fly within the walls of the Dillards’ home. I think a great deal of the angst that we have seen in Jill is a direct result of her realizing that her parents approach was not necessarily the healthiest or best way. Her beliefs have likely not changed much, but I think Jill is beginning to see that one can be a good, Godly ( their word) person and have a formal education, read books, watch films, attend a brick and mortar church, wear pants, shorts, drive alone to WM, and maybe (fingers crossed) work for a living. I think she is beginning to see how she and her sibs were robbed of rich experiences that can be life altering and limiting. It has to be a shock to her.

Honestly, I think it's great if he has let it fly. They have done some pretty fucked up shit and Jill probably wouldn't have really "heard" that message from anyone else. Not that DD doesn't have hateful,shitty beliefs but he is right that they have some rules that aren't "God's" rules but rather Michelle's preference.

I feel like it has been clear for awhile that thw skirts rule is Michelle's and JB gives no fucks about it. He has other hills to die on so to speak.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

My Pineapple Jello Salad recipe:

1 large tub Cool Whip
1 large tub small curd cottage cheese
1 large can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 large package cherry Jello

Mix everything together until well blended. Refrigerate overnight.

YUM YUM!

• Upvote 10
  • Disgust 2
  • Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

My Pineapple Jello Salad recipe:

1 large tub Cool Whip
1 large tub small curd cottage cheese
1 large can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 large package cherry Jello

Mix everything together until well blended. Refrigerate overnight.

YUM YUM!

Im sure its lovely* but this sounds so awful, having a bad run here with US food i think. Cottage cheese and cream. No. Cottage cheese and jello.No. Pineapple and cottage cheese. No. All of them together, oh hell no. We have kids snacks/fruit packs here in Australia but the thought of just fruit and jello makes me gag let alone with any additions. *no offence intended with this post in any way, just enjoy making fun of the food differences :)

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

They probably did all talk about it with eachother though Michelle and Jim Bob were against it. That's what sister's do, especially when they are close in age and all share a room.

JB/Michelle out such a strong emphasis on marriage as the girls are growing up, and they expect them not to talk about men?!

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, bella8050 said:

Hide contents

79C7EA33-62B9-45AE-8E5F-6F6CE308C4FB.thumb.png.4e339037f174fa4f63461658564945b3.png

I hope this is about her family and not about a doctors advice on pregnancy.

Edited by Chewing Gum
  • Upvote 11

4 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

Im sure its lovely* but this sounds so awful, having a bad run here with US food i think. Cottage cheese and cream. No. Cottage cheese and jello.No. Pineapple and cottage cheese. No. All of them together, oh hell no. We have kids snacks/fruit packs here in Australia but the thought of just fruit and jello makes me gag let alone with any additions. *no offence intended with this post in any way, just enjoy making fun of the food differences :)

Pineapple and cottage cheese together is great. You can even buy it already mixed together. I grew up mixing canned fruit cocktail and cottage cheese. Yum. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

On 5/15/2019 at 3:50 PM, zcccrv said:

Check out this beauty. ?

This shit. This shit is why i'm a vegetarian. :puke-front:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, bella8050 said:

Is it too much to hope that this is inspired by people in Jill's circle that maybe she is distancing herself from, or questioning some of the things she's been raised to believe? 

Could also be random or to her critics I know. 

From her IG stories:

Hide contents

79C7EA33-62B9-45AE-8E5F-6F6CE308C4FB.thumb.png.4e339037f174fa4f63461658564945b3.png

Hide contents

946F8E67-AB72-46E8-93CB-A238F588E184.thumb.png.bfc7ecadc3d275eb83a31642d74a7c97.png

Speculation* She wants another baby and doctors don't reccommend it. Probably Derick or Cathy or the doctors or even friends are trying to persuade her not to have more. But she wants a girl (and a vaginal birth) soooo much and is going to try it.

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, socalrules said:
5 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

Im sure its lovely* but this sounds so awful, having a bad run here with US food i think. 

Pineapple and cottage cheese. No.

*no offence intended with this post in any way, just enjoy making fun of the food differences :)

Pineapple and cottage cheese together is great. You can even buy it already mixed together.

So, question for our non-US FJers. Is cottage cheese and pineapple a thing in any other countries? Canada? The UK?

Because, I think I've caught at least one pop culture reference to it in a UK television show. (Long winded sci-fi television show quote under spoiler.)

Spoiler

RED DWARF - SERIES 7 EPISODE 4 -- "DUCT SOUP"

February 7, 1997

[The series follows the fortunes of Dave Lister, who is stranded three million years in the future, together with the hologrammatic representation of his former bunkmate and immediate superior Arnold Rimmer; a creature known only as Cat; and the ship's computer Holly. During Series II, the crew encounter a mechanoid called Kryten, who joins them from Series III onwards. In Series VII, Kristine Kochanski, Lister's former love interest, joins the crew, following the departure of Rimmer.]

KOCHANSKI

Look at this. This is a boys fridge. Women would never have fridges like this. Chilled trainers? It just wouldn't happen!

KRYTEN

What would you say to a glass of drinking chocolate?

KOCHANSKI

I'd say: "Glass of drinking chocolate, get me out of here!"

I can't live like this, I need a bath. I hate showers, I've always hated showers. Ask anyone who knows me what I hate, and do you know what they'll say??

KRYTEN

Erm, you hate showers?

KOCHANSKI

You see! Even you know and you hardly know me!

I need a bath. I need sleep; I need *clothes*; I need... cottage cheese with pineapple chunks in.

KRYTEN

Well, the next Space Corps. ship we come across ma'am, I'm sure we'll find some supplies.

Just call me curious, I guess. 

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
punctuation
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

I've not stumbled across it here in the UK, but pineapple and cheddar cheese hedgehogs are always at parties and gatherings I've been too.  So, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a thing here. 

I hate pineapple... but give me allllll the cottage cheese.  Yum yum yum 

• Thank You 1

If Derick didn't like the way the Duggar family do things, why did he approach them to find a wife? 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

23 minutes ago, LittleOwl said:

I hate pineapple... but give me allllll the cottage cheese.  Yum yum yum 

? I love pineapple but don’t care for/like cottage cheese much. I tolerate it but that’s all. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

A very tentative Free Jill?

Can we tell her it is not too late to go get that education to be a nurse if she wants to?

• Upvote 12

7 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

How about Jelly Slice? https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/jelly-slice/69906318-7393-4ea6-bf86-4374efb8d960

It tastes great to me, unfortunately it makes too much and you need to eat it reasonably quickly (i.e. within a few days) otherwise the biscuit base gets too mushy.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

If Derick didn't like the way the Duggar family do things, why did he approach them to find a wife? 

Not trying to write a Derick disclaimer, but Duggars look better in TV than they really are. Living with them made Derick see the ugly side and of course, discovering about Josh abuse and how Michelle and JB acted, was a breakdown in their relationship.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 4

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Not trying to write a Derick disclaimer, but Duggars look better in TV than they really are. Living with them made Derick see the ugly side and of course, discovering about Josh abuse and how Michelle and JB acted, was a breakdown in their relationship.

I agree.  The life Derick thought he was getting was probably very different than the life he is living now.  He seemed happiest  when he was living the missioncation life, and he thought he was going to get a wife he could share that with and the financial support to continue doing what he enjoyed.  Instead, he got marriage, almost immediate fatherhood, major surgery that likely left him in lingering pain, family scandal, and a clingy wife that was miserable while on missioncation.  

He approached Boob with a selfish agenda, so he was never the sweet goofy guy we all thought he was.  But he was young, naive, had no father, and had a very sick mother, so he trusted Boob like Jill did.  Bad idea!   

• Upvote 13

12 hours ago, HurricaneBells said:

Awful, just the thought makes you gag, but no offense intended? 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I love cottage cheese. No shame. I would urge folks to try it before declaring it gag-worthy.

Things similar to cottage cheese in other cultures:  faisselle, chhana, quark.

And question for attorneys out there--it would be extremely unusual if Derick doesn't do some sort of legal internship/law related work this summer, right?

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Speculation* She wants another baby and doctors don't reccommend it. Probably Derick or Cathy or the doctors or even friends are trying to persuade her not to have more. But she wants a girl (and a vaginal birth) soooo much and is going to try it.

Or, maybe the opposite, the family tells her to have more ("trust in the lord")  and instead she follows her doctors and inner God's orders? One can hope. 

• Upvote 8

I’ve moved around the US a lot and love cheese. Cottage cheese in the south is different than the north. I think it’s the percentage of milk fat or something. The stuff I had in North Carolina I would agree that it’s horrendous, but I eat and enjoy it every single day above the Mason-Dixon Line sooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I chuckled at Jill’s insta story. Whoever is the target, she’s giving them a pretty direct Jesus middle finger - which is growth for sweet jilly muffin in my opinion. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, physicalscience said:

I’ve moved around the US a lot and love cheese. Cottage cheese in the south is different than the north. I think it’s the percentage of milk fat or something. The stuff I had in North Carolina I would agree that it’s horrendous, but I eat and enjoy it every single day above the Mason-Dixon Line sooo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I chuckled at Jill’s insta story. Whoever is the target, she’s giving them a pretty direct Jesus middle finger - which is growth for sweet jilly muffin in my opinion. 

This is fascinating.  I love my Midwestern cottage cheese and didn’t know there was another kind.

i don’t like pineapple much but some pineapple chunks in a bowl of cottage cheese is sooo good.

• Upvote 4

Another situation where the Duggars would be so much more interesting if they were honest about anything. If you're using birth control, why is that okay now? Is it "okay for me, not for thee" or do you now understand that limiting your family size can be wise and not contradictory for like 99% of people who call themselves Christians?

I would actually find it interesting if Jill said, "hey, we're using a combination of savings from CO, student loans, and support from Derrick's mom to pay for law school. I'm doing my side work promoting brands to support our living expenses." Of course I hate the subjugation of women and inherent hypocrisy in their beliefs, but it really really bothers me how they pretend life just magically works out and bills get paid and God provides for every whim that you didn't plan for. Both are dangerous for the people who follow them. 

I think the Dills actually could start saying some of these things, because they don't seem to have a financial support from Jim Bob. I'd love to hear Jessa admit that their living expenses are being paid for by family until Ben finishes school, that they were overwhelmed when they had two kids so quickly and realized they needed to slow that train down. Maybe they don't think about these things or feel these ways, but I just don't buy that all the adults in that family feel 100% onboard with everything their parents did/do. 

As someone said above, it might be more of a freedom from the Duggars / the way Jill was raised, not any actual questioning of her core beliefs. BUT, I don't think questioning headship / women's roles / etc can happen until they stop seeing the family as perfect.

• Upvote 16

• Georgiana locked this topic