IGNORED

Fluff Piece about Dooce in VOX

keen23

I used to follow Dooce as one of the first mommy bloggers many moons ago, along with Rebecca Woolf of Girlsgonechild. They used to have a sort of vlog together, can't remember the name.

I haven't read their blogs in years but last night on a whim, I decided to check up on Rebeccca, and was so saddened to find out that her husband Hal very suddenly died of cancer a few months ago. She has 4 kids, ages 7-15. I went into a rabbit hole of her beautiful/raw writing on grief on instagram. 

Anyway, it made me really sad because I feel like I grew up with these women. I don't know if I'll read Heather's book but I'm glad she's finding solutions to her chronic depression. 

Interesting article on the arc of Heather Armstrong's life.  It also made me want to check in on Freckled Fox. 

Back from The FF check in: Emily and 2nd husband and six kids are moving to Utah from Idaho. 

Also The FF has this to say in a post about being happy and struggling with panic and depression: 

"One recurring theme in questions from you guys is how I'm so positive all of the time and how can I help you to be. Before I get started with a few tips, I want to stress as strongly as I can is that I am not positive all of the time. I have always prided myself on my ability to spin any negative situation into something I can learn from or use to better myself, but I am currently (and have been for some time now) fighting against severe anxiety, panic, depression, and other strong mental blocks that make constant happiness impossible. (edited to add that I developed these issues after my husband was given a few months to live, and since then I have recognized that I needed help navigating my trauma, sought professional help, started receiving proper treatment, and am currently doing pretty darn awesome:)

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Howl said:

Interesting article on the arc of Heather Armstrong's life.  It also made me want to check in on Freckled Fox. 

Back from The FF check in: Emily and 2nd husband and six kids are moving to Utah from Idaho. 

Also The FF has this to say in a post about being happy and struggling with panic and depression: 

It seems to me like FF basically quit blogging after she remarried, it especially seems like she slowed down after the shooting accident.  I forget why, but I did get the feeling from something (maybe it was in her blog?) that the second husband is very domineering.

• Upvote 1

She's still around? Wow. I guess it's true that nothing on the Internet ever truly goes away. 

Unpopular opinion: I used to read Dooce about 10 years ago, but eventually stopped after she started to seem so OOTP that her writing was just irritating to me. I still check in on her blog / Instagram once in awhile, but I still find her style grating. Also, it makes me uncomfortable how she exploits her children's personal lives and issues (e.g. M's depression) using their full names. Not cool.

I

• Upvote 3

• 4 years later...
48 minutes ago, keen23 said:

, Heather Hamilton, aka Dooce, is dead by suicide at the age of 47. 

I followed her blog for a while back when blogs were new and shiny. I am sorry for her kids who are probably young adults by now.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

I followed her blog for a while back when blogs were new and shiny. I am sorry for her kids who are probably young adults by now.

Unfortunately her youngest is 13. Poor girl lost her mom so young.

• Love 2

She was my age, and I remember following her blog for a while years ago. I'm sorry for her family at this time, especially her kids. 

• Upvote 1

How sad. I stopped following her a while ago, but the last few times I popped over to her blog or IG she seemed really unwell. I knew about her depression of course, but didn't know about the addiction/sobriety/relapse stuff until yesterday. How incredibly sad for her family, especially her kids (i also learned yesterday that her younger child is non-binary and uses they/them pronouns).

• Upvote 1

People die by suicide from all walks of life but it does seem that fame and living in the public eye is a special form of stress, particularly with addiction/shame.

May she rest in peace.

• Upvote 1