IGNORED

Kristina is blogging again

formergothardite

3 hours ago, 3_and_counting said:

end of the year school activities,

Why in the world do they plan ALL THE THINGS for the last couple weeks of school? By the end of the school year I'm doing good if everyone is dressed and has school supplies. 

No rush, read whenever you have the time. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

On 5/13/2019 at 10:29 AM, KnittingOwl said:

I have anxiety and depression as well. I also found out about the anxiety in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack. 

My 7 year old is exhibiting signs of anxiety too. I’m starting to work on coping techniques with her so that she has a better toolkit than I did. We are using the workbook “What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety (What-to-Do Guides for Kids)” and it’s been helpful. Also getting her to focus on deep breathing and having a stuffed animal that she tells all her worries to. 

My daughter has worked through this book too.  It has been a great tool.  I admit that I slack sometimes with asking what is in her worry box.  I also have her wear a bead bracelet that she can twist around her wrist, and rub the stones to keep her hands busy.

I hid all my OCD and anxiety from her, until I noticed her having the same issues.  Now we all talk openly about it as a family.  It isn't something to be ashamed of.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back...but I haven't read any of the articles posted yet.  I have been recovering from a concussion I got during a jiu jitsu class. ?‍♀️   Still got some weird numbness going on in my face, but I have been thoroughly checked out, and I am a-ok! 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, 3_and_counting said:

I'm back...but I haven't read any of the articles posted yet.  I have been recovering from a concussion I got during a jiu jitsu class. ?‍♀️   Still got some weird numbness going on in my face, but I have been thoroughly checked out, and I am a-ok! 

I'm glad you are ok, concussion is nothing to fool around with.  Be careful!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2019 at 4:42 PM, 3_and_counting said:

Just saw this and I hope you are resting and taking it easy. How scary! 

The reason I thought to check this thread is because one of my sisters and I were talking about the refugee children America is currently torturing and how this country is just creating a ton of children who will be scarred for life and probably struggle with depression, anxiety and who knows what else. . It is so heartbreaking to think about what is being done to these children and how this will impact them now and as they grow. 

I saw Kristina has two new posts. One is about how people just don't get it when it comes to mental illness. I agree sometimes people just don't get that struggling with an mental illness can make it hard to do things. The second I make a plan to do anything I spend the entire time dreading it. For people who don't have a second thought about going to do something this can be hard to understand. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

• 2 weeks later...

I am doing some better.  Still having some sensations from time to time due to the concussion, but I am slowly getting better.  Its just taking a lot longer than I had hoped for.  I miss my jiu jitsu classes! LOL  They helped so much with my overall anxiety.  I'm just ready to be back.

My latest post on my blog is probably going to bring about the most controversy that I will see.  Considering I am taking a prominent Christian figure and wrote what I think COULD have been.  Things like that tend to not go over very well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

6 hours ago, 3_and_counting said:

I am doing some better.  Still having some sensations from time to time due to the concussion, but I am slowly getting better.  Its just taking a lot longer than I had hoped for.  I miss my jiu jitsu classes! LOL  They helped so much with my overall anxiety.  I'm just ready to be back.

My latest post on my blog is probably going to bring about the most controversy that I will see.  Considering I am taking a prominent Christian figure and wrote what I think COULD have been.  Things like that tend to not go over very well. 

I looked at your blog.  That is a very intriguing thought.  I never thought too much about what Paul's thorn was, but I always assumed it was something physical.  However, having had to deal with anxiety and depression myself, I can certainly see parallels. I don't guess we will ever know, but you may be on to something.

I'm glad you are getting better, concussions can be a lot more serious and long lasting than people realize.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 3_and_counting said:

That was very interesting. Thoughtful and well-written, too. Thank you!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 1:24 PM, 3_and_counting said:

Have you had anyone respond to you? I could see that experiencing all those things could cause PTSD. I'm be honest, the idea of God purposely doing that makes me uncomfortable. I didn't actually think much about the whole thorn in the side part of the Bible. 

Your latest post was about Job. I always disliked that book and once got in trouble at church for saying that it didn't matter if Job got new kids he still didn't have his other children, so God didn't make things better because you can't replace children.  Apparently that was not an acceptable view point. :pb_rollseyes:  Looking at the story now,Job's wife would have also been dealing with some major mental illnesses. Was it really wrong of her to lash out at Job after her kids died and she lost everything? Her reaction was the reaction of someone who is in the depths of despair. She is always painted as this awful person though, instead of a mother who just lost all her children at one time. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

I looked to see if there are articles that don't paint Job's wife in a terrible light, who acknowledge that she was suffering too, that the book of Job shows a woman suffering with grief. There doesn't seem to be a lot out there. Most of the time it is all about Saint Job and his terrible wife, but I did find one good article. @3_and_counting, I thought you might find this interesting.

https://hevria.com/davidbannon/the-surprising-faith-of-jobs-wife/

Shall we condemn out-of-hand a grieving mother who furiously defends her innocent husband? As Job was honest with G-d, so too was his wife. She did not meekly accept this turn of events. One would be callous, indeed, to belittle a mother who had lost ten children and is watching her husband suffer.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...

Wow, its been a while! I have been super busy with the kids back in school, and our remodel.  Life is finally getting back into a smooth flow, and I am able to do a little more.  

A new podcast has been put up on my website, but no new blog post has been done in a while.  I am hoping to get back to my writing really soon.

• Upvote 6

On 8/7/2019 at 5:22 PM, formergothardite said:

Looking at the story now,Job's wife would have also been dealing with some major mental illnesses. Was it really wrong of her to lash out at Job after her kids died and she lost everything? Her reaction was the reaction of someone who is in the depths of despair. She is always painted as this awful person though, instead of a mother who just lost all her children at one time. 

I think her reaction was one of pain.  Like you said, she lost her children too.  Her husband was now sick as well.  People forget that she was human, she had emotions and feelings.  I think people give her a hard time without taking the time to look at it from her point of view.

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2019 at 4:56 PM, 3_and_counting said:

Hello, ladies! No...I am not just showing up since you mentioned me. LOL  I have been reading here for a long time as you know. ?  Just wanted to step in for a sec...

I see we are still stuck on my proposal huh.  It was special to me, and Josh both...y'all know this.  It was where we had our very first lengthy conversation (a big step for us).  It had a special meaning.  Say what you will.  ?  I would probably go back and change my dad putting my ring on, but other than that, I wouldn't change a thing about it!

Happy that you're happy but having your first conversation when you decide to get married doesn't sound that smart to me.

1 hour ago, AmazonGrace said:

Happy that you're happy but having your first conversation when you decide to get married doesn't sound that smart to me.

You misunderstood.  We didn't have our first conversation "when we decided to get married"...we got engaged where we did because that is where we had our first real conversation.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

18 minutes ago, 3_and_counting said:

You misunderstood.  We didn't have our first conversation "when we decided to get married"...we got engaged where we did because that is where we had our first real conversation.  

Whew, thanks for explaining, I thought that sounded absolutely insane but that makes more sense.

Y'all...I went one step further with my "passion" for mental illness misinformation and created a podcast page.  I can also be found on Spotify.  I am excited and terrified all at the same time! This is not just words on a page, this is me...my voice! Ahhh! LOL

http://savedandanxious.buzzsprout.com

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 4

I just finished the second podcast about mental illness in the church. I found it interesting.If you don't mind asking, does your pastor ever preach on mental illness? I have never in all the years I went to church heard a sermon on the subject. Have you had any reactions from fellow Christians or is it one of these things where they disagree but do it behind your back? 

Churches in general seem to really suck at dealing with mental health. 

I do know that one of the local Southern Baptist groups offers therapists for a low cost, but I've heard that can be hit or miss. Some of the therapists turning it into caring more about "saving" people as opposed to actually helping people with their mental health issues.

I think some of the issues when it comes to churches and mental health is that for so long they have treated it as a spiritual problem and the teachings and actions of churches can cause some mental health problems to be worse. Addressing both of those would involve admitting the churches have been wrong and are changing, something many churches often have a problem doing. Churches aren't really known for their abilities to change and adapt. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I just finished the second podcast about mental illness in the church. I found it interesting.If you don't mind asking, does your pastor ever preach on mental illness? I have never in all the years I went to church heard a sermon on the subject. Have you had any reactions from fellow Christians or is it one of these things where they disagree but do it behind your back? 

Churches in general seem to really suck at dealing with mental health. 

Yes, I have heard complete messages on the subject.  They were preached in the way of it being a spiritual problem.  I have had the personal experience of a preacher telling me that my speaking out was inappropriate and that I was seeking attention.  He told my husband that he believes mine to be a spiritual issue because they can find nothing to connect it to medically speaking.  So...my experience hasn't been the greatest.  

My goal is to start a support group.  I want people to understand you can have a close walk with God and suffer from a chronic mental illness.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 8

1 minute ago, 3_and_counting said:

They were preached in the way of it being a spiritual problem.  I have had the personal experience of a preacher telling me that my speaking out was inappropriate and that I was seeking attention.  He told my husband that he believes mine to be a spiritual issue because they can find nothing to connect it to medically speaking.  So...my experience hasn't been the greatest.  

I'm sorry that is happening to you. Dealing with mental illness is hard enough without being shamed by people who are supposed to be supportive leaders. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

There is almost certainly a big need in the Christian community for people to have an open discussion about mental illness. I'm 100 % sure this is going to ruffle feathers but often times feathers need to be ruffled! Mental illness isn't something people need to be ashamed of and churches have to realize that. 

Make sure to take care of yourself and don't let the negativity of these people get to you. I know that is easier said that done! 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

On 10/31/2019 at 6:40 PM, 3_and_counting said:

There is now a facebook page for my podcast.  I can now get feedback, and suggestions for new episodes.  Check it out, y'all!  I'm terrified, but I'm moving forward anyway! 

Breaking the Stigma: Saved & Anxious Facebook Page

You might check out Dr. Allison Cook https://www.facebook.com/alisoncookphd/ She seems to really have a handle on the intersection of faith and psychology. I'm reading through her book co-authored with Kimberly Miller, Boundaries for Your Soul. I loved the movie Inside Out and they discuss naming your emotions and realizing that they are a part of you and that God loves them too and how to find a healthy balance for all emotions, like Sadness, as all are necessary parts of who we are.

Edited by nolongerIFBx
found a better way of stating what I meant
  • Upvote 1