IGNORED

Andrea Reins is Engaged!

HeatherFeather

1 hour ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

You are thinking about this a hella lot more than they did!

I totally thought the same thing when I watched the beginning of it and then had to turn it off. My face cringed so hard it almost imploded.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 2

On 5/2/2019 at 1:17 AM, hoipolloi said:

Yes, the obit for the mother of the nine kids refers to a 27-year-old step-daughter who is presumably not living at the home.

EXACTLY what I thought, but it's hard to imagine Andrea Reins being as understanding and gracious as the fictional Sarah.

I hope that's a mistaken impression.

Me too, but I just don't see it.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Joyleaf said:

That's an unlisted video. How did you find it?

Kelly and Andrea both have the video posted publicly on their Facebooks.

It appears Andrea and Andy were introduced by mutual friends.  Also, the videos were made by Andy's 16 year old daughter.  Knowing that, I'll stop snarking on the Sound of Music video as I don't want to do anything to squash the creativity of a minor.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

It appears Andrea and Andy were introduced by mutual friends.  Also, the videos were made by Andy's 16 year old daughter.  Knowing that, I'll stop snarking on the Sound of Music video as I don't want to do anything to squash the creativity of a minor.

I think the videography and editing of it was quite good for a 16 year old. Hopefully she’s allowed to keep pursuing her interest in it. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

10 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think the videography and editing of it was quite good for a 16 year old. Hopefully she’s allowed to keep pursuing her interest in it. 

I agree. And even if the reference in the original is to the Baroness and not Maria, it gives me hope for all in this situation that the eldest child is making a positive comparison of her soon to be step-mother with the fictional version of Maria von Trapp. If the eldest is open to the situation, I think it indicates that Andrea has made a good impression and the older kids will set the tone that this marriage is a good thing for the family. It will hopefully help with the transition.

• Upvote 8

19 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Where/when did they post it on FB? I’ve searched but can’t find it!

32 minutes ago, Hane said:

Where/when did they post it on FB? I’ve searched but can’t find it!

On April 30th at 10:46 pm Andrea posted news of her engagement and included both video links. On May 1st at 12:40 am Kelly shared Andrea's post.  

• Thank You 4

I can't imagine the change from being an almost middle aged SAHD to being a wife and taking care of nine kids. Help.

I really hope this will work out for everybody; that Andrea can cope with taking care of a huge family and that the children will accept their new family member.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 5

On 5/2/2019 at 9:27 AM, Chewing Gum said:

Actually, I think there will be a lot of tensions between the 2 oldest girls and Andrea. The 14 and 13yo are mom and have more knowledge to raising their siblings than Andrea has. To suddenly have a "mom" that takes over the one role your dad credits you for? Better watch out Andrea, you're in for a treat!

Alternatively, they may be thrilled by the prospect of their sister-mom duties abating. However, if Andrea insists that they continue doing the same work but to now do it the way she wants it done, there will definitely be trouble in paradise.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

They have updated their 'The Knot' site.  For those who like to snark on wedding registries, they have a couple things listed on Amazon and Target but I am hoping more will be added... it currently feels very beige.  Also they have a few pictures that indicate they originally got to know each other via Face Time, met in person in March and then were engaged in April.  The wedding is June 29th.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 2

22 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

They have updated their 'The Knot' site.  For those who like to snark on wedding registries, they have a couple things listed on Amazon and Target but I am hoping more will be added... it currently feels very beige.  Also they have a few pictures that indicate they originally got to know each other via Face Time, met in person in March and then were engaged in April.  The wedding is June 29th.  

I've made it clear before that I'm not a fan of fast courtships/engagements, and I know plenty of FJers disagree. But I will double down on my dislike when there is a recent widower and nine children involved.

Slow the hell down people. If you don't believe in pre-marital sex, fine. Don't have sex. You can still go on Andy Hardy-esque dates at church picnics and sock hops. Hell, bring a chaperone if you want. I don't care. But there is no way anyone in this very tricky situation knows anyone else well enough to be making these major decisions. 

(Also, if I waited that long to get engaged, I would really want to enjoy my time as a fiancee and be able to leisurely wedding/bridal shower prep. My whole attitude would be "Bitch, do you know how long I waited for this? Don't rush me."

A couple BEC observations:

Kelly Reins claims lyme made her hair go curly. Mmmkay. 

Apparently, Andrea also claims to have had lyme?

Why do all these older SAHDs get "chronic lyme"? Is it the neurasthenia of our day?

Really BEC, but a pet peeve: Andrea refers to "semi-formal" as "dressy casual" on her wedding site. Semi-formal means cocktail attire, not khakis. I wish people would learn what clothing terms mean. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 9

7 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Slow the hell down people. If you don't believe in pre-marital sex, fine. Don't have sex. You can still go on Andy Hardy-esque dates at church picnics and sock hops. Hell, bring a chaperone if you want. I don't care. But there is no way anyone in this very tricky situation knows anyone else well enough to be making these major decisions.

Andy has had two years to figure out the important part, that being "I need to find a sucker Godly woman to raise all these freakin' kids for me."

I'm sure the very last thing he wants is to give Andrea enough time to come to her senses.

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 6

I've just taken a close look at the "Our Story" portion on "The Knot" link (bolding mine):

At just the right time, Andy’s pastor and friend, Mark, contacted Andrea’s former pastor and friend, Geoff, to explain Andy’s situation. Geoff and his family prayed for Andy and God brought to mind their dear friend, Andrea, believing she and Andy might be ideally suited for one another.

Do I detect the hand of Geoff Botkin at work in this choreographed endeavor? Just wondering...

• Upvote 16

3 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Do I detect the hand of Geoff Botkin at work in this choreographed endeavor? Just wondering...

Good catch, Marian! But why not one of your own daughters, Geoff? Surely you'd have no problem with them doing this important Kingdom work? 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 10

At just the right time, Andy’s pastor and friend, Mark, contacted Andrea’s former pastor and friend, Geoff, to explain Andy’s situation. Geoff and his family prayed for Andy and God brought to mind their dear friend, Andrea, believing she and Andy might be ideally suited for one another.

Also, does the wording of this sound to anyone else like Andy sent out some Christian APB for a new mom to his kids? It just sounds so odd in terms of how people approach dating and courting. 

Geez, these people talked for the first time less than three months ago. And met in person for the first time eight weeks ago. 

I totally respect people who don't want to have sex or live together before they are married. But it doesn't speak much to your self-control if you have to get engaged on your third date so you don't accidentally jump in bed together before four months are up. It's also weird to me that I, a reprobate skank, need more dates to sleep with a guy than they do to get engaged. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 12
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 2

On 5/9/2019 at 4:14 AM, nausicaa said:

Why do all these older SAHDs get "chronic lyme"? Is it the neurasthenia of our day?

Yes it is.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Good catch, Marian! But why not one of your own daughters, Geoff? Surely you'd have no problem with them doing this important Kingdom work? 

Post of the year! 

I do wonder if the Botkin princesses have the right of refusal, and kick into high gear with the fundy Botkin princess version of Oh, HELLS NO, f**k no when offered the chance to wed a middle-aged widower with 9 kidz. 

A-S or Elizabeth, contemplating this scenario: Sex with a virtual stranger, getting pregnant for the first time, having two to three children in five years and parenting the existing nine:  "I don't think he could ever live up to your patriarchal headship-ly standards, Dad. What man could?"

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 9

I don’t know a lot about the Botkins but from what I’ve seen, I imagine only a Steven Hammer type of guy would be good enough for AS and E. 

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

only a Steven Hammer type of guy would be good enough for AS and E. 

Took me a minute to process that.  THAT Stephen Hammer.  According to LinkedIn, Mr. Harvard Lawyer is still a law clerk for the US Court of Appeals in Columbus, Ohio. 

According to the interWebs, base pay for law clerks at the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals is $91K - $99K. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 6

• 1 month later...

Some images I found of the wedding today. Andrea looks pretty; I like the muted pastels. Not really feeling the prairie style tiered skirt. 

It is nice how happy the daughters seem about this. Even my bitter, charred heart genuinely hopes this all works out. 

Spoiler

65761182_10216271604517383_7251014378974085120_n.jpg

Spoiler

65545824_10216271616117673_1085735490109308928_o.thumb.jpg.7b207e521a36c6d981ab37b0420e8cdf.jpg

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 14

And, posted today on Jeff Reins' FB page:

All the hard work. All the battles. All the pain. Living in condition yellow. The good times! The time on my knees! It’s paying off today. The harder the struggle, the sweeter the victory!

This, from the man who also proudly posted the "Rules for dating my daughter" T-shirt pic below, along with the comment "Actually I have one rule: 1. NO!"

Cognitive dissonance, much?

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 8.52.42 PM.png

Edited by Marian the Librarian
Adding spoiler to photo
  • Upvote 6
  • Disgust 2

On 5/8/2019 at 10:14 PM, nausicaa said:

Damn this made me laugh.  I think some (most?) of them use "chronic lyme" as a way to reinforce what delicate examples of womanhood they are - frail, pale, and wan.  

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

#10: Whatever you do to her, I will do to you

This is NOT the best way to phrase this, because if it involves kissing, caressing, and, you know, down there..., yeah, you don't want to do that to him, Jeff.  Just, no. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

18 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Hide contents

Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 8.52.42 PM.png

Number 10. So much WTF I can't even. . .

• Upvote 2