IGNORED

Courtney Rogers wrote an article (update: Pregnant w/ the 12th C Kid!)

SolomonFundy

10 hours ago, indianabones said:

Courtney was interviewed by the Daily Mail Fail.

She says that they decided to have a 12th baby because the kids "begged them to so they could be like the family from Cheaper By the Dozen" (do they even own a TV?) and that she's getting a scheduled C-section at 36 or 37 weeks.

Because everyone does what their children want, whether it's good for all or the right thing or not.  When I was a little kid, I begged my mom for a 10 speed bike. All the bigger kids in the neighborhood had one and I had one with a basket & banana seat. I was  7, 8, 9 - I begged for years. She did not get me the bigger bike because I begged for it, because she was the adult & the parent & it was her job to make the right decisions, not decisions based on a child begging. I was too young & too small for the bigger bike. Begging got me grounded, not the bike I wanted.

She's lying. SHE wants a 12th kid and is blaming the kids because she knows it was a stupid, irresponsible decision.

Nice way to throw your kids under the bus. 

*I did get my 10 speed bike, for my 10th birthday. The age my mother determined was the age we were old enough for one, not because I begged for years. 

• Upvote 22
  • I Agree 3

12 hours ago, indianabones said:

Courtney was interviewed by the Daily Mail Fail.

She says that they decided to have a 12th baby because the kids "begged them to so they could be like the family from Cheaper By the Dozen" (do they even own a TV?) and that she's getting a scheduled C-section at 36 or 37 weeks.

She mentions watching classic movies with her kids, like Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals (obviously not dunking--see my profile pic😂), so yes they've probably seen the original Cheaper by the Dozen. But given the number of times Courtney has said she wants a dozen kids, I'm leaning toward HER wanting to live in that particular movie and passing that desire onto her kids. Or maybe just knowing that a grown-ass woman should know better and trying to make it sound more palatable (but failing).

I mean, I love me some Sound of Music, but that has never made me want 7 kids! Because I know movies, even ones based on true stories, aren't real life. What a concept🙄

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

The truly original Cheaper by the Dozen is a book by Frank Gilbreth, published in  1948. Courtney’s kids are readers—maybe they read instead of watched.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

The movie Cheaper by the Dozen is a lot cleaner than the book. The book has improper language and discussions of population control. 😅 That being said, when we were fundie,  I fantasized about cutting my own hair like Anne and Ernestine.

Once upon a time, one of the snoodlets really thought we should have one more kid for the sake of balance. Begged, pleaded. I said no. We got a kitten instead. Courtney is looking for a scapegoat. 

• Upvote 12

Cheaper by the Dozen doesn't mention that one of the kids died as a child, and they never had a dozen children at once. They were also spread out more, and the father died when the youngest was a toddler still. 

The book is very sweet, but it glosses over the difficulties they faced. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 9

It's the Daily Mail. Chances are that Courtney was asked "would you say having 12 kids is actually cheaper by the dozen?! LOLOLOL" and she probably laughed and said "my kids love that movie!", and thus, an article was born.

We all know exactly what the Rogers are. They will keep adding kids until they truly can't. If this is her last baby, it will be because she fails to conceive next time they try. But I sincerely doubt that she ever outright stated to anyone, let alone a rep from the DM, that this decision was based on advice she and her husband took from their children on the basis of a vintage movie. 

• Upvote 11
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 9/17/2021 at 6:02 PM, anjulibai said:

Cheaper by the Dozen doesn't mention that one of the kids died as a child, and they never had a dozen children at once. They were also spread out more, and the father died when the youngest was a toddler still. 

The book is very sweet, but it glosses over the difficulties they faced. 

I read in an article that the two Gilbreth kids who wrote the book essentially said that “it reflected the childhood we wished we had.”

• Sad 9
  • WTF 1

I grew up with the Cheaper by the Dozen books, or at least I read the first two. The first movie was from the 1950s, but they made two movies in the 2000s staring Steve Martin. There's a new movie called Cheaper by the Dozen coming out next year.

I’ve liked old movies since I was a kid including Cheaper By the Dozen. When the newer one came out, I wasn’t too impressed. I like the old one better. The newer one really wasn’t much like the original family.

• Upvote 4

I also grew up with The Cheaper by the Dozen books, and have read them multiple times. They and the 1950s movie are charming and funny, but if you read between the lines, the father was very controlling, and the kids’ lives were highly regimented (in part because the parents were efficiency experts). Each of the older kids was responsible for a younger one, somewhat like the Duggar buddy system. Any inter family squabbles, along with the early death of one of the kids, are glossed over. It’s a somewhat romanticized view of life in a large family. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

All this time I've been confusing Cheaper by the Dozen with Yours, Mine & Ours. 

Obviously, I've never read the books or seen any of the movies for Cheaper by the Dozen. I knew Steve Martin did a Cheaper by the Dozen movie, but clearly never gave it any thought. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5

32 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

All this time I've been confusing Cheaper by the Dozen with Yours, Mine & Ours. 

Obviously, I've never read the books or seen any of the movies for Cheaper by the Dozen. I knew Steve Martin did a Cheaper by the Dozen movie, but clearly never gave it any thought. 

I love the original Yours, Mine, and Ours. Refused to see the remake because how do you remake Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball? They had a combined 18 kids when they got married and at the end of the movie they had one more. They may have had another in real life but I'm not sure. But that's 19...wonder if the Duggar or Bates parents saw that movie as kids and thought, "My future life right there--can't wait!" 

I'm guessing not. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, EmiSue said:

I love the original Yours, Mine, and Ours. Refused to see the remake because how do you remake Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball? They had a combined 18 kids when they got married and at the end of the movie they had one more. They may have had another in real life but I'm not sure. But that's 19...wonder if the Duggar or Bates parents saw that movie as kids and thought, "My future life right there--can't wait!" 

I'm guessing not. 

I love that movie. Its really good and really funny. And yes in real life they had two kids together bringing the total to 20 kids. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I love that movie. Its really good and really funny. And yes in real life they had two kids together bringing the total to 20 kids. 

I read the memoir by one of the kids. He said the only truthful thing  in the movie is that a widower with 8 kids married a widow with 10. According to him, when visiting the family for research purposes ahead of filming, Lucille Ball was creeped out by the father and told the production folks, “Keep that SOB away from me.”

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 5

Isn’t it funny how portraying your family as perfect is nothing new? Today, we see all these perfect big families on YouTube and Instagram knowing damn well it’s probably dysfunctional behind the scenes. Back in the day it was the same, but it was in book form, not social media. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 6

8 hours ago, Hane said:

I read the memoir by one of the kids. He said the only truthful thing  in the movie is that a widower with 8 kids married a widow with 10. According to him, when visiting the family for research purposes ahead of filming, Lucille Ball was creeped out by the father and told the production folks, “Keep that SOB away from me.”

Actually, the father has 10 kids and she has 8. Apparently both of Helen's husbands were in the Navy. Wikipedia has interesting tibbits.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Hane said:

I read somewhere that the mother had been horrible to some of his kids or vice versa. I read it ages ago so it's hazy.

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, Nike said:

Baby 12 is here. Looks like some complications with her but hopefully not badScreenshot_20220311-220628_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8c31446438b66e58c87f189db8a403d6.jpg

We posted more on the pregnant/babies thread list on quiver full of snark. 

• Upvote 3

Clara bought Courtney’s family pizza. Not surprised those two are friends. They have way too much in common. Clara will definitely outnumber Courtney though. 

35CF188D-5F68-47FF-97C9-339C8F937776.jpeg

If she hadn’t gone overdue with Caris, she probably would have been a bit smaller in size. So it may have helped. But no one knows 100% and hopefully these two NICU stays will stop her from having anymore. She can’t keep having baby after baby that’s in the NICU while she’s at home taking care of 12 kids. 

FB58EB64-F4F0-482A-9723-EE9474BDC311.jpeg

• I Agree 2

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If she hadn’t gone overdue with Caris, she probably would have been a bit smaller in size. So it may have helped. But no one knows 100% and hopefully these two NICU stays will stop her from having anymore. She can’t keep having baby after baby that’s in the NICU while she’s at home taking care of 12 kids. 

FB58EB64-F4F0-482A-9723-EE9474BDC311.jpeg

When is enough, enough? All of these people are hoarders. They hoard babies. Unfortunately, babies don’t keep. 24 hours/day, a maximum of 18 hours awake to meet the needs of 12 dependent beings, cherish a marriage and provide self care to fuel the entire operation. Do the Math. Every one of those individuals deserves more- 

And she hasn’t grocery shopped, cleaned, cooked, bathed anyone or done the laundry. I’m stressed just thinking about it.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 6

26 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

When is enough, enough? All of these people are hoarders. They hoard babies. Unfortunately, babies don’t keep. 24 hours/day, a maximum of 18 hours awake to meet the needs of 12 dependent beings, cherish a marriage and provide self care to fuel the entire operation. Do the Math. Every one of those individuals deserves more- 

And she hasn’t grocery shopped, cleaned, cooked, bathed anyone or done the laundry. I’m stressed just thinking about it.

She even admits she can’t go to see her newborn in the hospital everyday. When you have way too many kids that you can’t even visit your newborn everyday, then that’s your sign to stop. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She even admits she can’t go to see her newborn in the hospital everyday. When you have way too many kids that you can’t even visit your newborn everyday, then that’s your sign to stop. 

So how is having more kids any indication that you care more about children than the average parent? It’s just irresponsible procreation, IMO. If you really cared about kids, you’d stop having kids and concentrate on the kids you already have. Just bathe those kids with attention.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

• 7 months later...