Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Blackcurrant
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
SolomonFundy

Courtney Rogers wrote an article about her family size.

Recommended Posts

SolomonFundy

Note: I posted this originally to the Sweet Tea & Buttermilk subforum, but we've not really used that since she stopped updating her blog a few years ago. I figured it would be a better fit here. I couldn't find anything in the rules about posting the same topic twice to different forums, but if I am violating a rule, mods please let me know how to fix it.

 

The site is called "Love What Matters", and describes itself as an aggregate for  "real stories by real people far and wide, to celebrate the love, kindness and compassion they represent – while reminding us that these things do not happen by default, they’re a daily choice." Whatever that means.

The site is full of click-bait titled articles that are user-submitted, and generally feature a bewildering range of stories. I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised at the range of topics and lifestyles represented. On the sidebar of Courtney's story, the site suggested a birth story about quadruplets, a gay (male) couple who welcomed their son via a surrogate, a woman who caught her husband cheating with her best friend, and a bland article about "dating your spouse". 

Interesting takeaways from Courtney's article:

* Her husband originally suggested that they try for 10 kids, but she dismissed the idea on the basis of her age at the time of their marriage. (26)

* They have discussed the potential need to use birth control (no idea if this includes chemical, surgical, or just NFP) to prevent future children, if her health requires it.

* They would feel "weird" if they went a year or two without having a baby (or two). 😔

* She "honestly doesn't know" if she'll have more children. She says it depends on whether she has another complicated pregnancy.

Pertinent part of the article:

Quote

We get asked at times whether or not we plan on having more children. The honest truth? I really don’t know. Due to complete placenta previa and a cord issue during my twin pregnancy I’ve already had to have two c-sections. Thankfully, I found a great team of midwives at our university’s hospital and I’ve had the opportunity to VBAC since then. I’m sure by now I’m one of their regulars and folks at the ultrasound office even recognize me and my chart. Some people have expressed concern about my health, but the rest of my pregnancies have been complication free and full term. However, I know anything can happen in the future and if other complications come our way, we’ll wisely consider our family planning options.

* Buuuuutttttt they'll keep "taking them as they come" for now. Thanksgiving Bib Bearer 2020-2035 confirmed.

  • Upvote 9
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 16
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Howl
Posted (edited)

Was Sweet Tea and Buttermilk a family in (northern?) New Mexico with a part-time-pastor husband? 

Edited by Howl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
mango_fandango

Interesting to see what she and her kids look like. She has three girls, right? Callie, Calena (I die, that level of similarity is ridiculous) and who else? 

Someone remarked somewhere that Courtney is the only woman in the Upcoming Babies thread who can be found on both the “pregnant” and “recently gave birth” lists. Whenever I read about the frequency and closeness of her pregnancies my uterus cowers in fear. 

  • Upvote 13
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
2 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Interesting to see what she and her kids look like. She has three girls, right? Callie, Calena (I die, that level of similarity is ridiculous) and who else? 

Someone remarked somewhere that Courtney is the only woman in the Upcoming Babies thread who can be found on both the “pregnant” and “recently gave birth” lists. Whenever I read about the frequency and closeness of her pregnancies my uterus cowers in fear. 

Her baby is Caydee. She also has a Cade. I know. It’s bad. I’m guessing the next girl is Casey since she has a boy named Case. 

  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
mango_fandango

I was torn between “thank you” and “WTF”. 

I always love the name predictions for Courtney’s kids. “Can’t” and “Cope” for her twins were my favourites :pb_lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TuringMachine
1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Her baby is Caydee. She also has a Cade. I know. It’s bad. I’m guessing the next girl is Casey since she has a boy named Case. 

I was about to post the same 😆 There's also a Cash.  For the next one I'm torn between Casey and Cassie. 

She posted all the kids names here:

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I was torn between “thank you” and “WTF”. 

I always love the name predictions for Courtney’s kids. “Can’t” and “Cope” for her twins were my favourites :pb_lol:

I hope I’m wrong and she goes with a name not like the others. Something like Cora or Clara. But I have a feeling it will be Casey or Cassie.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
mango_fandango

The girls have more unique names?? Really??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nickelodeon

“(horse/gun)” is cracking me up more than it should.

Hasn’t she had some miscarriages that would contradict her statement that “the rest of her pregnancies have been complication free” though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Georgiana
3 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

Caydee? Really? Like cady from mean girls?! Rofl. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/kDAp7THy3qsRkngx6

Cady/Caydee would be better, IMO.  I think both of those are always going to get pronounced "Katie", though I have a feeling any Cady is going to have the same problems as in Mean Girls and get called "Cad-y"....sometimes intentionally.

But she changed the spelling to Caydie, which to me, looks like it should be pronounced "Cay-dye".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Depressed
formergothardite

What I remember most about Courtney is back before marriage when she was blogging like Kristina she posted a picture of a family vacation where they not only had to swim fully dressed, but they had to wear socks. Didn't she also have a no touch courtship? 

I wonder if she would have really stopped if her pregnancies had continued needing c-sections. 

Her husband's FB page is just awful. Very rabidly ant-Catholic. Their church doesn't seem huge, how do they afford all those kids and the constant needing of maternity care along with medical care for the kids? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

What I remember most about Courtney is back before marriage when she was blogging like Kristina she posted a picture of a family vacation where they not only had to swim fully dressed, but they had to wear socks. Didn't she also have a no touch courtship? 

I wonder if she would have really stopped if her pregnancies had continued needing c-sections. 

Her husband's FB page is just awful. Very rabidly ant-Catholic. Their church doesn't seem huge, how do they afford all those kids and the constant needing of maternity care along with medical care for the kids? 

I’ve always wondered how Courtney manages money wise. I think some of their clothing looks pretty nice and she will often buy matching clothes. Plus the kids get nice birthday gifts and she’s been talking about putting an addition onto their home soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waffle Time
catlady

she's apparently very good at thrift shopping; she had an insta post a few weeks back saying that she got about a half-dozen pairs of identical boys' pants still new with tags super cheap ($2 each i think) at a thrift store.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, catlady said:

she's apparently very good at thrift shopping; she had an insta post a few weeks back saying that she got about a half-dozen pairs of identical boys' pants still new with tags super cheap ($2 each i think) at a thrift store.  

I don’t know how people like her find time to thrift. I remember when I had two kids two and under and I never had the time of energy to go thrift shopping. I did online shopping for their clothes or grabbed something at target. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NachosFlandersStyle

There's a Goodwill in my area that seems to be the destination for overstocked stuff from Target and Penney's and whatnot; every time I find a few different items that they have in many sizes with tags still on. If you live near one that has that kind of relationship with other retailers, it's probably easy to swing by and find a good deal.

I buy most of my clothes, other than pants and shoes, second-hand. If you're used to shopping that way and you go in with a strategy it's not any more time-consuming than going to Target. I don't have kids, though, so ymmv.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
8 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

There's a Goodwill in my area that seems to be the destination for overstocked stuff from Target and Penney's and whatnot; every time I find a few different items that they have in many sizes with tags still on. If you live near one that has that kind of relationship with other retailers, it's probably easy to swing by and find a good deal.

I buy most of my clothes, other than pants and shoes, second-hand. If you're used to shopping that way and you go in with a strategy it's not any more time-consuming than going to Target. I don't have kids, though, so ymmv.

It depends on the thrift store. Some thrift stores are better at keeping sizes together. While others just put a ton of kids clothing on a rack and the sizes are all different. So I have to go through the whole rack. It drives me nuts but I love how cheap it can be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Briefly
7 hours ago, formergothardite said:

What I remember most about Courtney is back before marriage when she was blogging like Kristina she posted a picture of a family vacation where they not only had to swim fully dressed, but they had to wear socks. Didn't she also have a no touch courtship? 

I wonder if she would have really stopped if her pregnancies had continued needing c-sections. 

Her husband's FB page is just awful. Very rabidly ant-Catholic. Their church doesn't seem huge, how do they afford all those kids and the constant needing of maternity care along with medical care for the kids? 

I think she has had two miscarriages but it might have been three.  She lost her first one, she referenced that when she was still blogging.

She was asked about their income on instagram a while back.  She listed their income streams, I don't remember all of it but she said that he's the pastor of their church and that they also have farm income.  I don't remember what else, but I think it was at least 4 or 5 different income streams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SolomonFundy
7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It depends on the thrift store. Some thrift stores are better at keeping sizes together. While others just put a ton of kids clothing on a rack and the sizes are all different. So I have to go through the whole rack. It drives me nuts but I love how cheap it can be. 

Well, bear in mind that in Courtney's case, she can literally grab any childrens garment in any size, and it will fit someone. 

The local Goodwill here isn't great, but there are a few independent and church-run thrift shops in town that are better. Less selection and organization, but MUCH better prices. Our Goodwill is kind of on the expensive side for thrift shop clothes. They seem to be competing with Clothes Mentor and Plato's Closet (and similar "boutique" used clothing stores), but they don't curate, don't wash anything, and there's no organization. I have no problem shopping like that, but I'd rather fill a bag for $5 if I'm digging through a cluttered cesspool than pay $5 per garment in the same conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Milly-Molly-Mandy

I’ve never understood goodwill. I can get something new at target on sale for the same price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lilith
5 hours ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

I’ve never understood goodwill. I can get something new at target on sale for the same price. 

Thrift stores must be finding it hard to compete with cheap fast fashion. I grabbed my daughter some long sleeved t-shirts and tights for $2.50 each today from Best & Less (a cheap clothing chain). I also routinely get end of season kids clothes from Kmart and Target for under $5. Even the nicer brands at department stores sell at 60% off at the end of season. I actually feel bad about it - I would much rather get good quality second hand clothes than add to the wastefulness of the textile industry, but there aren’t any decent second hand stores left anywhere near me - the cheap warehouse ones are way out in the far western suburbs and the smaller ones are trying to be vintage boutiques, hardly carry kids clothes, and often cost more than the equivalent item at the cheap chain stores.

  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
7 hours ago, SolomonFundy said:

Well, bear in mind that in Courtney's case, she can literally grab any childrens garment in any size, and it will fit someone. 

The local Goodwill here isn't great, but there are a few independent and church-run thrift shops in town that are better. Less selection and organization, but MUCH better prices. Our Goodwill is kind of on the expensive side for thrift shop clothes. They seem to be competing with Clothes Mentor and Plato's Closet (and similar "boutique" used clothing stores), but they don't curate, don't wash anything, and there's no organization. I have no problem shopping like that, but I'd rather fill a bag for $5 if I'm digging through a cluttered cesspool than pay $5 per garment in the same conditions.

She recently talked about getting rid of some of her boy baby cloths. Since she hadn’t had a boy in awhile and she’s due with another girl. She said the clothing was stored in a shed. I guess that with their weather it may be best just to get rid of it than have it’s sit in a shed for a few years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh
smittykins

But if she does that, she’s pretty much guaranteed that her next child will be a boy. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, smittykins said:

But if she does that, she’s pretty much guaranteed that her next child will be a boy. 😛

I think she enjoys shopping so I doubt it will bother her too much! 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Briefly
11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She recently talked about getting rid of some of her boy baby cloths. Since she hadn’t had a boy in awhile and she’s due with another girl. She said the clothing was stored in a shed. I guess that with their weather it may be best just to get rid of it than have it’s sit in a shed for a few years. 

It made me wonder if maybe they are going to stop, at least for a while.  It's also possible that the clothes are not in the best shape, they have been worn by several children and things do wear out.

I am probably going to hit a few thrift stores tomorrow (Saturday).  I am desperately in need of decent shirts I can wear to work, since I have a bunch of winter shirts & sweaters but not much for warmer weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×