Rachel Held Evans in intensive care

Evangeline

8 hours ago, ColeJo said:

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 8.31.53 PM.png

Beth Moore said basically the same thing on her Twitter in different words

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

On 5/7/2019 at 3:02 AM, ophelia said:

I've never heard of Emily Thomes, but all I got to say to her is: fuck you!

Emily is ex-gay and incredibly fire-and-brimstone about it. We have a thread on her somewhere around here if you want to raise your blood pressure a bit today.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Emily is ex-gay and incredibly fire-and-brimstone about it. We have a thread on her somewhere around here if you want to raise your blood pressure a bit today.

Just FYI, Emily's thread is over in Wide World of Snark. 

• Haha 1

Have we had any fundies express condolences? Bueller? Bueller?

On 5/7/2019 at 12:26 AM, EowynW said:

The internet never forgets, Emily. 

IMG_1040.JPG

Wow. Emily Thomes is a jerk. She wastes no time to basically say she went to hell. A mother left behind two babies and a spouse.  She died unexpectedly. Emily basically mocks her death.

What a twisted individual... She must lack the ability to empathize, like Lori. Perhaps it’s pathological. They both remind me of Trump who made fun of McCain after he died. I pity how miserable they must be to make fun of a dead young mother.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 11

Evans’ last blog post appeared online on March 6, Ash Wednesday in the Christian calendar. It is a day of repentance and solemnity that marks the beginning of Lent, which leads up to the joyful Easter celebration of resurrection. She wrote:

It strikes me today that the liturgy of Ash Wednesday teaches something that nearly everyone can agree on. Whether you are part of a church or not, whether you believe today or your doubt, whether you are a Christian or an atheist or an agnostic or a so-called “none” (whose faith experiences far transcend the limits of that label) you know this truth deep in your bones: “Remember that you are dust and to dust you will return.”

Death is a part of life.

My prayer for you this season is that you make time to celebrate that reality, and to grieve that reality, and that you will know you are not alone.

From the Slate article, written on March 6 this year. What a beautiful final message to leave behind. ?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/05/rachel-held-evans-the-hugely-popular-evangelical-writer-is-dead-at-37.html

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 8

I mean, this doesn't surprise me because so many fundies are dishonest in their criticism of just about everything they don't like, but I don't recall Rachel ever saying anything blasphemous about God or Jesus. She called out THE CHURCH for not reflecting the Jesus they claim to love. Seems more than fair to me. 

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Just FYI, Emily's thread is over in Wide World of Snark. 

Thanks. Maybe we can move her thread back here if it gets active again? Not sure what makes her Wide World.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Feministe9000 said:

From the Slate article, written on March 6 this year. What a beautiful final message to leave behind. ?

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/05/rachel-held-evans-the-hugely-popular-evangelical-writer-is-dead-at-37.html

This is so sad... It is definitely beautiful message though. 

Edited by luv2laugh
  • I Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2019 at 4:56 PM, Evangeline said:

@punkiepie Thank you for your story. After the 2016 election, the faith crisis that had been building in me for years came to a head. I just could not do faith the way I'd been taught if it this was the result. I'd read some of RHE before that time but picked up Searching for Sunday during one of my darkest moments, and it turned out to be exactly what I needed. Even though I already knew it in my head, it made my soul realize I didn't have to walk away from my faith entirely. I just had to find a new tribe. And I did. I will never forget that Rachel helped me do that. Still praying daily for her. We need her voice in this world so bad. 

Thank you for posting your experience with Searching for Sunday. I requested it from my library ebook loan service and am reading it now. I just finished the six chapters in Part 5: Confirmation and had to come with tears still wet on my cheeks to thank you because it is exactly what my heart needed to read right now. Her gift of words and eloquence spoke right into me. I am so glad I read (and am going to finish reading) Searching for Sunday. I am sad Rachel Held Evans isn't on this earth anymore.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, JustEnough said:

I am sad Rachel Held Evans isn't on this earth anymore.

I feel the same way. I'm reading 'Inspired' and can only take it chapter by chapter, because it makes me so sad to know that she is gone. She wrote so beautifully and sometimes I feel like she looked deep in heart and saw all my questions and doubts when it comes to my faith, the Bible, etc. and put them into the words I could never manage to put together. 

Her death is such a great loss and I feel so heartbroken for her husband and kids. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, JustEnough said:

Thank you for posting your experience with Searching for Sunday. I requested it from my library ebook loan service and am reading it now. I just finished the six chapters in Part 5: Confirmation and had to come with tears still wet on my cheeks to thank you because it is exactly what my heart needed to read right now. Her gift of words and eloquence spoke right into me. I am so glad I read (and am going to finish reading) Searching for Sunday. I am sad Rachel Held Evans isn't on this earth anymore.

I'm so glad it's been meaningful to you too. And thank you for coming to say this. I wish so much that she was still here but am glad she wrote what she did in the short time she had. I feel like momentum is building toward a major positive change in American Christianity, and she's had a lot to do with that. 

• Upvote 3

I have Searching for Sunday on my kindle ap on my phone.  I've been going at it slowly.  It is my waiting room reading material.  I needed this book.  I feel so less guilty/weird for my repeated periods of questioning my faith and various church experiences.  Which then makes me so sad that she's gone.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 3

I think I’ve already mentioned on FJ somewhere that I got to know about RHE through this forum and first came across her name and legacy when she was in the ICU and then passed. Intrigued by what many of you told about her, I ordered her book “A year of biblical womanhood”. It took a while to arrive in Germany (and then it took me a while to collect it from the book store and begin reading) but I am in the process now and really enjoy it. I’m not a Christian but like both her writing style and perspective and the quotes from the Bible. It’s very fun and educational (what can only rarely be said ?

As to Emily Thomes, screw her! I admittedly am appalled while also feeling slightly sorry for her cause she also is a victim of fundamentalist Christianity. But reading the hateful things she posts, my disdain outweighs my pity. 

• Love 5

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2019 at 2:31 PM, Feministe9000 said:

Well, SHIT. I am only just learning about Rachel's death. What an incredible tragedy. 

Twenty-two years ago, during my faith transition/existential crisis - which happened in the middle of my seminary training to become a Lutheran pastor - I realized that there was a solidity to the truth that we would all one day die, an undeniability to that fact which was somehow comforting in the midst of my faith struggles. I preached a sermon to that effect on Ash Wednesday of that year.

Even now, as an agnostic atheist, I have come across RHE's work and have appreciated the humility and love evident in her world view. I wonder whether I could have remained a Christian if Rachel's writings had been available back then during my seminary days. (I suspect at 15, she was still a fundy; and frankly, have been happier out of religion than I ever was in it, but still.)

I think the world has lost a really valuable person and perspective with her death.

(Incidently, @OyHiOh, the sentence you mentioned in your post earlier in this thread - "I don't even know what I need right now so please tell me what you can do, and when you can do it, and I'll be in touch with you when I need that thing" - strikes me as so very useful. I lost my mom last year and wish I had had these words. I am so sorry for your husband's death and your family's loss. Thank you for sharing.)

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, scoutsadie said:

(Incidently, @OyHiOh, the sentence you mentioned in your post earlier in this thread - "I don't even know what I need right now so please tell me what you can do, and when you can do it, and I'll be in touch with you when I need that thing" - strikes me as so very useful. I lost my mom last year and wish I had had these words. I am so sorry for your husband's death and your family's loss. Thank you for sharing.)

this may be out of line but I need to remember this...people have said "let me know what you need" and most of the time I have no idea. 

• Love 8

29 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

this may be out of line but I need to remember this...people have said "let me know what you need" and most of the time I have no idea. 

No, you're spot on, @feministxtian - that's exactly why I like the suggestion.

(And I'm sorry for what you're going through. Hugs from Maryland.)

• Upvote 1
  • Love 3

• 2 years later...

I remember when  her book came out in 2012 and loved it... but here is an article posted just today: 

https://www.newyorker.com/news/on-religion/the-afterlife-of-rachel-held-evans?utm_source=pocket-newtab

What an insightful woman.  Sorry I didn't pay attention when she was here.

• Love 4