IGNORED

Rachel Held Evans in intensive care

Evangeline

6 hours ago, OyHiOh said:

Unfortunately, I do know exactly what her husband feels right now.  Strong, vigorous, otherwise healthy people "don't" die of flu in our popular conception of the disease.  Everyone expects that such a person will be hospitalized for a few days or a week and then come home.  Even when there are complications, or ventilator is ordered, the expectation is that it's a temporary measure to help the person heal faster.  Death isn't part of your mental preparation.  Up until the last 36 hours of my husband's life, my mentality at home was training our children in absolutely rigid hygiene and food safety because I expected to bring home a medically fragile but very much alive human being. 

Although I lost my husband to epilepsy and not the flu, it was similar for me—when he went to the hospital during his last seizure, I fully expected that they would stabilize him and he would be home in a day or two, and he wasn’t.  Although a part of me knew that some people do die of epilepsy, I never expected it to hit so close to home.

Wishing love and healing to Rachel’s family.

• Love 48

9 hours ago, DomWackTroll said:

Russell Moore was sensitive on Twitter and shared the GFM, too. 

Yes, I noticed this too. There have been several who have been kind and graceful and I'm glad

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 8

13 hours ago, Hane said:

She had a power spirit and here's how I know that personally: this morning I was standing at my kitchen counter and I knew that she was going to die (I didn't know she was already gone). Now, please understand that I had not been thinking about her constantly, but she had been on my prayer list since she went into the hospital. I felt the announcement of her death and it was very firm and clear, but I thought it would not do to say so, so I tweeted that I had felt her and prayed she would come back. I was hoping my spirit information was wrong but I knew it wasn't.

I'm sure she means well but wow, that would really bother me if it were my family member and she was claiming to have special knowledge of my family member's death. And if she thought that information was real why would she announce Rachel's impending death before Rachel's husband did?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 8

This is devastating and heart breaking. I can't really wrap my head around it. She was so young, so gifted and not afraid to speak her mind.

Her family and especially her babies will be in my prayers and I'm going to order all of her books now. So far I've only read "A Year of Biblical Womanhood" and I greatly enjoyed that.

I'm really really sad.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 6

I had hoped she would make a full recovery, and as far as that bitch Lori is concerned, I think Facebook should do to her page what was done to other hateful pages, and ban them.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 8

I mostly lurk but had to post my sadness. RHE changed my life. She gave me permission to question evangelical Christianity, which eventually led me to atheism. My life is so much better because of her words. May her family find peace in her untimely death. If there is a God, may she be at peace as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 22

I'm not really here much anymore, but Rachel has been on my timeline the past two days. Today I saw a thread if people who had been inspired by her work. So I decided to check out her work 

The first thing I read was a blog post she had written about being pro life but voting for a pro choice candidate. I was so impressed with her. 

Now I am reading "A year of biblical womanhood" and enjoying it.

How sad that she has passed.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

I started to read her latest book "Inspired" yesterday. Only made it through the introduction, since I was tired AF and at the same time bawling my eyes out. Even in the first few pages she spoke so directly into my heart, it was incredible! 

• Upvote 12

I’m an old woman who has changed my mind on miracles. Sometimes they happen. Other times, no. 

———

A 65-yo acquaintance smokes and drinks to excess and has come out of medically induced comas twice in the last 15 months, fresh as a daisy. 

———-

I’ve  changed my mind on logic in the world, also in cause & effect.

———-

Finally: I went to pulpit and pen blog and sadly, abominably, they’re just as vicious now as when she fell ill. That’s caused me to formalize my attitude about other people in my faith. To paraphrase Gandhi: “I like Jesus Christ  But I can only evaluate His followers one by one.” 

———

And the beat goes on. 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 12
  • Love 9

I only became aware of this woman by reading this thread and following links. I don't suppose her family reads here but if they did I would offer my sincere condolences. I wish I'd known about her when she was alive.

However I do think that Lori or her leg humpers do read here and them I say:  your hateful response to this tragedy is a big part of the reason I will NEVER believe in your God. What kind of God is that mean and cruel? Not one that I'd ever believe in.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

I went to pulpit and pen blog and sadly, abominably, they’re just as vicious now as when she fell ill.

Tim Bayly has been predictably horrible on social media, too. I'm surprised Doug Wilson hasn't said anything yet, but then again, it will probably be manifesto length, so give him time. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, DomWackTroll said:

Tim Bayly has been predictably horrible on social media, too. I'm surprised Doug Wilson hasn't said anything yet, but then again, it will probably be manifesto length, so give him time. 

So has Emily Thomes with a side of waa the mean people are picking on me ..?

• Disgust 4

3 hours ago, browngrl said:

However I do think that Lori or her leg humpers do read here and them I say:  your hateful response to this tragedy is a big part of the reason I will NEVER believe in your God. What kind of God is that mean and cruel? Not one that I'd ever believe in.

They have made their god in their own image. Small, hateful, cruel, selfish. My God is HUGE, he has infinite wisdom, grace and mercy. He set the universe in motion. I can't begin to define or understand Him beyond his Love. The God I believe in is love, all love all grace all wisdom and all mercy. He thought the world needed me. Utterly amazing if you think about it. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 11

I just thought tonight to check if FJ had a thread and I'm so relieved that they did even just so I can ramble a bit. 

I don't often (ever) mourn people I don't know but I feel like I'm mourning now, her voice and her words will be so missed. 

Reading a year of biblical womanhood was an eye opener for me, searching for Sunday always felt like coming home and Inspired gave me courage. 

I don't want to think of the world without her words in it. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 9

3 hours ago, Soulhuntress said:

So has Emily Thomes with a side of waa the mean people are picking on me ..?

Emily Thomes horrified me. Like Lori, she barely gave the body time to cool before diving in. 

ETA: I went to look at her page just now and holy cow is she backpedaling and playing the martyr! I read the original post she made mere hours after Rachel's death. She deserved everything everyone gave her and then some. These "redeemed SAHM Jesus women" can be the most hateful uppity bitches  

Also, shame on Sheologians for sharing her original post on their page too. 

Edited by EowynW
  • Upvote 3

I've never heard of Emily Thomes, but all I got to say to her is: fuck you!

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 13
  • Love 2

I was hoping Rachel would get better. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family. I hope her children will come to understand what a beautiful, caring, truly godly woman she was and how many lives she changed for the better.

To Lori Alexander, Emily Thomes, and the like,. FUCK YOU.... you evil, vile, hateful crazy assholes!

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, EowynW said:

The internet never forgets, Emily. 

IMG_1040.JPG

What a horrible woman and not very Christian like. Her and Lori's comments go against Jesus's teachings. These people wonder why they are hated maybe because anyone who doesn't follow the exact same religious beliefs as them gets criticised. 

• Upvote 6
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 3

1 hour ago, Glasgowghirl said:

What a horrible woman and not very Christian like. Her and Lori's comments go against Jesus's teachings. These people wonder why they are hated maybe because anyone who doesn't follow the exact same religious beliefs as them gets criticised. 

There are words for these utter twunts but the one I like best is karma.  Or threefold for the wiccans.  I just don't know how someone who calls herself a sinner saved by grace can be so utterly horrid and not extend a modicum of said grace to a grieving family.   And tagging them with that perverted message (Emily the only perversion is your unloving message you utter cunt) just is sick and wrong.  And calling these heretical nasty little people out ain't persecution.  ?. Rest in peace RHE.  ❤️. Soulhuntress out and I done got to cussing.

• Upvote 11

9 hours ago, feministxtian said:

They have made their god in their own image. Small, hateful, cruel, selfish. My God is HUGE, he has infinite wisdom, grace and mercy. He set the universe in motion. I can't begin to define or understand Him beyond his Love. The God I believe in is love, all love all grace all wisdom and all mercy. He thought the world needed me. Utterly amazing if you think about it. 

Beautifully said! I’ve often looked at the religious rants of our fundies and thought, “Wow—my God is WAY smarter than your God!”

A little OT: I’m on my church’s ministerial search committee, as our wonderful, kind FEMALE pastor is retiring next month. (She’s a strong warrior for racial justice and has been arrested more than once at peaceful demonstrations—this little blonde white woman from Iowa!) We’ve had women in the pulpit for decades, and are all the stronger for it. I truly value being part of a church that fully empowers women.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 5

When even Matt Walsh ( who is someone I can't stomach 99.9999% of the time) can make a kind comment. 

IMG_2534.PNG

• Upvote 15
  • WTF 1