IGNORED

Rachel Held Evans in intensive care

Evangeline

I'm not sure if this goes here or not. 

Rachel Held Evans is in a medically induced coma following an infection and seizures. It sounds really serious. I'm so sad and hoping for a full recovery. Her writing been so important to so many. 

For those unfamiliar with her, she was raised Southern Baptist in Alabama and Tennessee and has written extensively about her transition to progressive Christianity. 

https://religionnews.com/2019/04/19/fellow-christian-writers-start-twitter-prayer-chain-as-rachel-held-evans-is-hospitalized/

Edited by Evangeline
Add background info
  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 24
  • Thank You 4

I saw the tweet she wrote when she was hospitalized and then what her husband wrote and it was really jarring. She's not someone I'm super familiar with but I'll be watching this because this seriously sucks and I hope they find answers.

• Upvote 9

My heart goes out to her and her family.  May she overcome this health crisis and heal fully! 

• Upvote 7

Goodness, I am not a christian but I have read some of Rachel's work on christian feminism and liked her a lot.  The pulpit blog is so cruel. I hope she has a speedy recovery :(

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

Pulpit and Pen doesn't seem to realize that posting that kind of shit about Rachel Held Evans does not make Christianity more appealing to younger people.

• Upvote 19
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 10
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

31 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Pulpit and Pen doesn't seem to realize that posting that kind of shit about Rachel Held Evans does not make Christianity more appealing to younger people.

Well, to any people, really. 

• Upvote 19
  • Love 6

I hope that her health improves and that she recovers in a way that is minimally traumatic to her children.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

49 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I don’t think they care if they attract anyone to Christianity. They just want to be right. They are insecure man children. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 3

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t think they care if they attract anyone to Christianity. They just want to be right.

This is the mantra of John Shrader. 

Rachel, still holding you and your family in my heart.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Unless they're like minded. I can see this appealing to young reactionaries, sadly.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Dreadcrumbs said:

Unless they're like minded. I can see this appealing to young reactionaries, sadly.

I'm glad to report there were several disgusted comments below that horrid article.

• Upvote 17
  • Love 3

This is absolutely terrible news. I love her writings. She is so thoughtful and absolutely right on, in my opinions.  I noticed that her husband hasn't updated since Saturday. I'm praying for her complete recovery. #PrayforRHE

• Upvote 9

I'm hoping she's doing better while waiting for an update. I loved her book "A Year of Biblical Womanhood" in which she spent a year trying to adhere to all of the Bible's commands for women, from not cutting her hair to enthusiastically greeting her husband.

Edited by SecularMusic
  • Upvote 12

Here's an update written today. Essentially, no change. Still in a coma, doctors are still working on it. I'm praying for wisdom and healing.

April 22, 2019 Update

Rachel is still in a medically induced coma. Drs are working to balance her treatment in an attempt to avoid negative effects of the constant seizures but also avoid possible negative effects of any medications used to sedate her and control them.

• Thank You 20

Rachel is one of the good people. Really hope that she pulls out of this and recovers completely.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 9

I’m reading her newer book on non-fundamentalist readings of the Bible right now (Inspired: Slaying Giants, Walking on Water, and Loving the Bible Again) and it’s wonderful. What a scary situation.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

From her website, written by her husband:

April 23rd, 2019 Update

The news today is about the same as yesterday. Rachel is still in the ICU in a medically induced coma. Sarah Bessey, Jeff Chu, and Jim Chaffee started a GoFundMe campaign for us. With unknown financial obligations pending this is a great practical encouragement to our family. Thank you again to everyone who has donated their time and resources and offered their thoughts and prayers. Rachel would have a really beautiful way to say all of this.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 10

I saw this due to a reshape by Melissa Moore (daughter if Beth Moore). Go fund me set up.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

Sarah posted today that the GoFundMe has met the goal already. 

Not that that means you can't donate, obviously, but while the asses at Pulpit and Pen (and some others--saw a pretty nasty tweet the other day, too) have been degrading her, progressive Christians have been surrounding the family with love, prayers and help. 

Interesting how that works, isn't it?  

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 14

I'm a glutton for punishment and read the comments. Is the "Russell Lewis" who commented the same Russell who married a much younger Amanda Smith and whom we've discussed here before? 

He looks awfully familiar and I remember the one we who married Amanda playing an instrument professionally. The Facebook says he plays for the Shreveport Symphony Orchestra. If it's the same person...wowza. I no longer feel bad about any of the teasing he got on here.  

• Upvote 9