IGNORED

Lori 65: The Demonic Agenda regarding Women

34 minutes ago, EowynW said:

It's not just unvaccinated pets. Many rescues are mass importing dogs from overseas to resell with a sob story. So far they've brought in rabies, a new strain of distemper, and the canine flu. The flu killed several dogs on the show circuit a couple years ago and cost others many thousands in vet bills. It's very scary to the serious dog community so see what unethical people are doing. 

Eh, more than anti vaxx in the vet & animal community I am mostly seeing a shift to a more thoughtful look on vaccination. Even the AVMA has shifted their stance on vaccinations after science is bringing to light that many don't need to be repeated every year and that immunity lasts for years after a proper puppy vaccination protocol. Even rabies doesn't technically "need" to be given yearly & some places now allow every 3 year rabies. There is no need to shoot a dog up with a 5-9 way vaccine load every year like they used to push for.  That's insanity. And some you don't need depending on your situation. Dogs who are never boarded don't need a yearly bordetella, for example. 

I completely forgot about all of the rescues mass importing pets from overseas. That's a problem too. 

Glad to hear your seeing more a shift toward more thoughtful vaccination than a shift toward anti-vaxx.

Edited by Dreadcrumbs
Forgot a word
  • Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Pink Muffin said:

If not appropriate please remove.

The only inappropriate thing I see is Lori herself. If only we could remove her from the internet! 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 10

Is that bread supposed to represent the open tomb?  It looks like a stone.

Edited to add:  I propose we not call it Einkorn bread, but instead call it "Lori's Speshul Tombstone Bread." 

Edited by wallysmommy
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 4

33 minutes ago, Pink Muffin said:

This message is brought to you by Lori Alexander, the godly mentor 

Just as my super speshul, godly bread; Christ is risen! Screenshot_20190421-164954_Instagram.thumb.jpg.88ceb0193d1005526a50c802318f9248.jpgIf not appropriate please remove

How many people will she be feeding with that bread? While jesus was able to feed a few tausend people just with one bread and one fish, I don't think she will be able to feed more than 3 people with that small bread.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

18 hours ago, freealljs said:

Has Lori ever mentioned if she’s vaccinated? I mean, she’s one of the biggest hypocrites in this universe. 

I'm sure she is. And her children. Antivax is trendy now (and has been since 2000) but almost nobody was antivax at the 80's, least of all a middle class conservative mother. In fact, Lori would have looked scared at  those hippy parents who didn't vaccinate back then and would have banned her children to approach them.

28 minutes ago, klein_roeschen said:

How many people will she be feeding with that bread? While jesus was able to feed a few tausend people just with one bread and one fish, I don't think she will be able to feed more than 3 people with that small bread.

She will also serve a salad. Big salad. With sardines. And butter.

• Upvote 21

1 hour ago, Pink Muffin said:

This message is brought to you by Lori Alexander, the godly mentor 

Just as my super speshul, godly bread; Christ is risen! Screenshot_20190421-164954_Instagram.thumb.jpg.88ceb0193d1005526a50c802318f9248.jpgIf not appropriate please remove

Did she make a cross shape in the top of her bread?  Is that something she normally does, or is it a special Easter hot cross loaf?  Because a single Einkorn sourdough hot cross loaf is pretty much the poor substitute for a batch of hot cross buns that I'd expect from Lori.

Speaking of which, I need to get mine made.  I intend to put a little nugget of marzipan in each one (did this last year, and highly recommend it), and to eat more than my portion tonight before taking the rest to share at work tomorrow.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, FullOfGravy said:

Did she make a cross shape in the top of her bread?  Is that something she normally does, or is it a special Easter hot cross loaf?

I think she cuts an "x" on the top every time. A lot of recipes suggest that for bread baked in a round shape, like Irish soda bread. I've never had hot cross buns, but they always sound amazing!

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
present tense ≠ past tense
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

What people should be scared about, in regards to measles, is not the uncommon complications of the disease itself but what it does to the immune system.  Measles acts in a very unique way in that while you may develop immunity to it after having it, but while it is running its course it often destroys immunities that you previously had to other things, in essence wiping your immune system's long term "memory" and leaving you extremely vulnerable to other diseases.  There's a theory in epidemiology about how this is why historically you would often see patterns of multiple disease outbreaks in the same population before and after a measles outbreak (when you'd think that would not happen post-measles, since people should have been immune to the other diseases.

So we may be setting ourselves up as more and more vulnerable to many other non-measles outbreaks over time.  This combined with the fact that we are on the edge of disaster with antibiotic resistance (it is going to be horrific when we are cast back to the stone age of no antibiotics, and we're flirting with that right now) to treat the secondary infections that pop up, ect.

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I think she cuts an "x" on the top every time. A lot of recipes suggested that for bread baked in a round shape, like Irish soda bread. I've never had hot cross buns, but they always sound amazing!

I usually do slashes in both round and oblong loaves, so I guess a bread product with a cross in the top seems fairly Eastery to me.  And yes, a good homemade hot cross bun is delicious!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

24EC8DE1-D461-43F4-BEC7-75B562CAEA90.thumb.png.6a2ba36757fdc33b1d22796f51f8b445.png

doesn't she mean Paul? Isn’t it Paul that she worships?

happy Easter, Passover, or what ever holiday you celebrate. 

• Upvote 9

19 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@delphinium65,  I was just going to ask about the rabies vaccine!  A few years ago,  there were NO cases of rabies among domestic dogs in the US.  However, if anti-vaxxing gets to be a thing among pet owners, that won't be the case anymore, because there is still rabies in wild animals.  My daughter was just telling me about a rabid coyote found living near a firehouse or police station in West Columbia.

I have heard about not vaccinating pets against rabies, because vaccines are bad for them as well.  I even read than on an instagram of someone I follow and this person seems intelligent and caring, but won't get their dog's rabies shots.  First thing we do when we get an animal is to confirm that it's had the shots it needs, or go get them if it can't be confirmed.

7 hours ago, EowynW said:

It's not just unvaccinated pets. Many rescues are mass importing dogs from overseas to resell with a sob story. So far they've brought in rabies, a new strain of distemper, and the canine flu. The flu killed several dogs on the show circuit a couple years ago and cost others many thousands in vet bills. It's very scary to the serious dog community so see what unethical people are doing. 

Eh, more than anti vaxx in the vet & animal community I am mostly seeing a shift to a more thoughtful look on vaccination. Even the AVMA has shifted their stance on vaccinations after science is bringing to light that many don't need to be repeated every year and that immunity lasts for years after a proper puppy vaccination protocol. Even rabies doesn't technically "need" to be given yearly & some places now allow every 3 year rabies. There is no need to shoot a dog up with a 5-9 way vaccine load every year like they used to push for.  That's insanity. And some you don't need depending on your situation. Dogs who are never boarded don't need a yearly bordetella, for example. 

I thought that rescues would vaccinate?  We've gotten dogs from rescue groups, but only local ones and the dogs were local. However, the last dog we had (our sweet beagle girl) came to us with bordetella.  She probably got it from a dog at the rescue group she came from, I talked to the lady that ran the group a few days later when she was checking on our dog and she said that one of her new dogs seemed to have it.  She was taking care of it with her vet, but wanted to warn us.  And we had just noticed the beagle coughing.  I don't remember what we did as far as treatment, but I think I remember at least talking to our vet.

Dog flu is very scary.  We lost a very special dog to it, it was not confirmed at the time, the dog flu was just being recognized but the vet we were using at the time later put two and two together based on the dog's symptoms and the timing of the fact that dog flu was just becoming "a thing" and she was pretty sure that it's what killed him.  We think so, too.  He was our daughter's childhood dog and we are still heartbroken, 20+ years later.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 8

9 hours ago, EowynW said:

Eh, more than anti vaxx in the vet & animal community I am mostly seeing a shift to a more thoughtful look on vaccination. Even the AVMA has shifted their stance on vaccinations after science is bringing to light that many don't need to be repeated every year and that immunity lasts for years after a proper puppy vaccination protocol.

Very interesting! However, I am not sure what a thoughtful look actually means. I don't think my thoughts are relevant in deciding a vaccine schedule, and, since I am not a scientist, I don't think I can reasonably make up my own schedule. I don't think doing online research makes me educated enough. So while I do ask questions and try to make good decisions, I tend to defer to the scientists who make the recommendations in the first place.

I am not that scared of vaccines or the chemicals in them. I am terribly afraid of diseases like distemper or rabies (or polio or tetanus in humans).

Our vet recommends a rabies vaccine every three years. However, if he said to get it every single year, I'd do that. I don't have the scientific and research background to disprove that, nor have I done any studies. And if they recommended 6 vaccines a year for my dog, I'd probably do that and I don't see anything insane about it.

With that said, we have skipped bordatella during the years when our dog wasn't being boarded anywhere and didn't go to dog parks. But I don't believe Kennel Cough is fatal in healthy adult dogs. I would never skip anything that prevented a fatal disease. I'm really not the type to easily trust anyone, but in this case, it seems obvious that scientific professionals know more than I do.

8 hours ago, klein_roeschen said:

How sad to have so little in your life that you have to post of picture of a loaf of bread that you make, not once, but over and over again. I'd be too embarrassed. Once, maybe, if I were really proud of it, but that's it. Unless that bread cures cancer, I don't see what the big deal is.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

Found my little yellow card from basic. We were given Mmr, Tdap, polio, typhoid (oral), flu, hepatitis a, varicella, meningococcal, yellow fever, and a shot listed as antibiotic (in the arse and it hurt like a mofo for days). All in one day (all at the same time actually). 

Ftr, I was fully vaxed as a child and had chicken pox (vaccine wasn't invented yet when I was a kiddo). We weren't asked for any records or had any titers drawn. There were just 100s of us in like 4-5 lines and you went up, got injected in BOTH arms at once and then went behind a little curtain for the shot in the arse.

• Upvote 13

When vaxxing the felines, we took our vet's advice based on the cats' "lifestyle" (brother/sister, totally indoor). They get rabies every 3 years and that's really about it after their kitten shots. Considering they're the only critters in the house, they are decidedly INDOOR felines (Big Stupid once went out on the balcony in our last apartment and jumped 4 feet in the air over a leaf and ran his ass inside never to cross the threshold of the door again), we and our vet feel comfortable with only giving them the rabies (just in case they did get out). 

Our dogs would get the shots they needed based on their "lifestyle" also. IF I remember right, they needed Bordatella since we'd have them groomed (never boarded, damn dogs lived better than we did), and rabies was required for them too. Beyond that, nothing else. They got the puppy series of shots for the other things like parvo and distemper and our vet judged that they didn't need more. Wait, I think they got distemper boosters every couple of years...not sure. 

Kids...got the shit stabbed out of them on schedule, up until they were 18. Grandgirls were way behind on their shots and they got caught up in a hurry when we got custody of them. Grandson was completely unvaxxed because his egg donor was fucking nuts. He got whooping cough at 2 and was sick for weeks. He's all caught up on his shots now. 

I have an appointment to get boosters for whatever is needed before we really start walking the cancer road (we're in between the first PET scan and first surgeon's appointment). I'll let them stab me with whatever to keep him safe

• Upvote 11
  • Love 13

I haven't read the Lori threads in several months as they were becoming very triggering for me around the time her mother died, but just read a few pages of the last thread and this one.  As always vaccination beings me out of lurkdom.

I've told this story in probably every anti-vax thread I come across.   I had the mumps as an adult.  They SUCKED.   I likely caught them from an unvaccinated child who wasn't symptomatic yet while working in a fast good restaurant, as best the drs.  could determine.   I either missed a booster (unlikely as I went to public school and they are mandatory) or my immunity to mumps just didn't "take" for whatever reason.
I just recently talked to my dr. about whether I need to get an MMR booster with the measles because anybody that knows me knows that if there is something weird that can happen it will happen to me.  He didn't recommend it for me, but did joke about when I found a rash it would be too later to get one.  He knows me so well :P 

Regarding dog/cat vaccinations we have done only the puppy protocol, including a booster after 16 months and no other vaccinations for over 18 years.   We initially titered every year, but went to every 3 years a few years ago because in all that time we had *never* had a dog come back with a low titer other than a rescue with an unknown vaccination history and it was to corona so we chose not to revaccinate for at 16-year-old dog at that point, which our vet agreed with.

We do rabies every 3 years as required by law and don't bother to titer for it since we'd do the vaccination anyway.

I was thrilled when the vet community revisited vaccination protocol and went to three years based on our own experience.   It's pretty logical anyway.   Vaccines work the same way in people and animals in terms of providing immunity.   We don't vaccinate our kids or ourselves every year so why should we put that load into our pets who are far smaller than humans.    Dogs get the same vaccine no matter whether a great dane or a chihuahua, which also makes no sense, but baby steps in the vet world.

Vets actually used to recommend yearly vaccinations because that was often the only time they would see a pet and they could catch other health issues faster if they saw the dog for vaccines yearly.   In recent years, pet owners have become more aware of dog care and go to the vet more often, which is part of the reason for the change.  

It's similar to pet food.  When I was a kid we fed any old dog food, now our dogs eat better than we do ;)    When you KNOW better, you DO better is a motto I like to live by. 

Reputable rescues will not let a dog leave unvaccinated.  They generally almost immediately vaccinate any dog they have that does not have a reliable vet record (I did vaccinate my rescues rather than titering them unless I knew they were going to be permanent residents in our house).  The places that import dogs are not always ethical. Some shelters started doing this several decades ago because they did not have enough dogs in the shelters in some areas of the country.  It has become more common to transport dogs from high population areas of the country to lower population ones, though I'm sure some places still import dogs.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

Also from the last thread, holy cow Lori looks awful.  She has aged 20 years in the last 5 or so I'd say.  He skin looks awful and her hair is like straw.  She does not look like a well woman at all.  If I was Ken, I'd haul her into the dr. for a thorough check up.

One other thing before I go back to lurking.  I know Lori is all UTIs are no big deal and you can handle them with cranberry juice and whatever other woo she subscribes to and I know we have talked about how dangerous they can actually be.

About a month ago, I ended up in the hospital for an untreated UTI that went into my bloodstream and kidneys (a/k/a sepsis) when I woke up one early morning short of breath.  Since I previously died of respiratory failure, I do not mess with shortness of breath and we went to the ER ASAP.  It was probably 1/2 hour between the time I woke up and the time I was put into a room at the ER.  I was hypoxic when admitted and the staff was visibly concerned about my condition.   I was in the hospital for 5 days.

I had NO symptoms of a UTI and the entire time I was septic my white blood cell count was completely normal.   As a result, they initially thought I had the flu so when the flu tests (several different kinds) came back negative they had to wait for blood cultures to come back (they take several days) to figure out what was actually wrong.

You can see why all my drs. love me so      I go to a lot of drs for different things so usually if something is wrong it's caught by someone when talking to me during appointments, but since I had no symptoms and no fever until I was well on the way toward death there was nothing I could really do.  

If you KNOW you have a UTI  or are symptomatic of one please get thyself to the dr. ASAP, even if you have to go to the ER because it could save your life.

My husband just found out a classmate from high school died two days ago from sepsis due to an untreated UTI.  They are nothing to mess with!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 28

On 4/20/2019 at 7:58 PM, OyHiOh said:

I've mentioned before that I got chickenpox as a kid . . . . . and developed a case of shingles this past winter at the ripe old age of 40.  And in dealing with my shingles outbreak, I learned all kinds of facinating and scary things about shingles, one of which is that there is a correlation between age of shingles outbreak and cardiovascular events (stroke, heart attack):  The younger you are when you have shingles, the higher your risk of cardio vascular events in the six months following.  None of these things are benign.  They leave ripples in your body that lead to other things that can be far more serious.  I can avoid future outbreaks of shingles with a vaccination.  You bet your booty I got that shot as soon as my doctor would give it to me after my nerves healed!

Measles has never "not been feared."  Seriously Lori et al?  Then why were whole families quaranteened, with stiff penalties for violating the quaranteen?  That measles wipes your immune system for close to a decade is facinating.  And scary.  And helps explain people who were described as "sickly children" in decades past, who got badly sick as young children and seemed to catch every little thing for years and years after.

I had measles as a child.....while my mom was pregnant with my younger sister. Scary times. 

I also had chicken pox as a child but I was one of those kids whose parents didn't think I had it because I never had the itching pox. However as an adult I developed shingles in my eye. Yeah misery. That is how I found out I had had chicken pox as a child.

• Upvote 10

7 hours ago, Hisey said:

How sad to have so little in your life that you have to post of picture of a loaf of bread that you make, not once, but over and over again. I'd be too embarrassed. Once, maybe, if I were really proud of it, but that's it. Unless that bread cures cancer, I don't see what the big deal is.

In the past that Lori romanticises so very much nearly all women baked bread nearly every day. They didn’t run and show their neighbors their amazing achievement. 

I always thought it was funny when people were amazed by my then 10 year old baking bread. I was proud that she had the curiosity and drive to learn to do it and the desire to cook, but mastering baking bread isn’t an exceptional achievement, especially with instant yeast and modern ovens. Almost every 10 year old girl could do it a few generations ago.

• Upvote 14

Re: animal vaccines. 

It delights me that the AVMA is on board with new vaccine protocols. We have a sled dogs and so we do the 5-way puppy shots at 6, 10 and 14 weeks. Maternal antibodies start to fade around 7 weeks and our Malamute pups generally stop nursing nursing around 6 weeks so we start their puppy protocol then. Our dogs then receive a booster at a year old and that's pretty much it, unless they are going to be racing - races require proof of the 5-way vaccines here.

We hold off on the rabies until they are a year old and then they get their first shot. A year later they get another rabies vaccine and then it's every three years after that. This is required by law. Rabies does rear its head in our neck of the woods every now and then. 

• Upvote 11

4 hours ago, Curious said:

Also from the last thread, holy cow Lori looks awful.  She has aged 20 years in the last 5 or so I'd say.  He skin looks awful and her hair is like straw.  She does not look like a well woman at all.  If I was Ken, I'd haul her into the dr. for a thorough check up.

One other thing before I go back to lurking.  I know Lori is all UTIs are no big deal and you can handle them with cranberry juice and whatever other woo she subscribes to and I know we have talked about how dangerous they can actually be.

About a month ago, I ended up in the hospital for an untreated UTI that went into my bloodstream and kidneys (a/k/a sepsis) when I woke up one early morning short of breath.  Since I previously died of respiratory failure, I do not mess with shortness of breath and we went to the ER ASAP.  It was probably 1/2 hour between the time I woke up and the time I was put into a room at the ER.  I was hypoxic when admitted and the staff was visibly concerned about my condition.   I was in the hospital for 5 days.

I had NO symptoms of a UTI and the entire time I was septic my white blood cell count was completely normal.   As a result, they initially thought I had the flu so when the flu tests (several different kinds) came back negative they had to wait for blood cultures to come back (they take several days) to figure out what was actually wrong.

You can see why all my drs. love me so      I go to a lot of drs for different things so usually if something is wrong it's caught by someone when talking to me during appointments, but since I had no symptoms and no fever until I was well on the way toward death there was nothing I could really do.  

If you KNOW you have a UTI  or are symptomatic of one please get thyself to the dr. ASAP, even if you have to go to the ER because it could save your life.

My husband just found out a classmate from high school died two days ago from sepsis due to an untreated UTI.  They are nothing to mess with!

I’m sorry to hear you were in the hospital, and glad that you’re out now! And I was also happy to see your name pop up—haven’t “seen” you in awhile and was hoping you were alright! 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 4

19 hours ago, wallysmommy said:

Is that bread supposed to represent the open tomb?  It looks like a stone.

Edited to add:  I propose we not call it Einkorn bread, but instead call it "Lori's Speshul Tombstone Bread." 

Wasn't it Einkorn bread that killed the duck in 'Love Actually' ?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

43 minutes ago, squiddysquid said:

Wasn't it Einkorn bread that killed the duck in 'Love Actually' ?

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that it was a direct hit to the duck's head that killed it. Sadly, I can't recall the nature of the bread in the movie. But having been subjected to some relatives' attempts at baking bread, I can attest to the possibility of using bread as a deadly missile. When you need a hammer and chisel for breakfast...

Edited by samurai_sarah
riffle
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 12
  • I Agree 1

53 minutes ago, littlemommy said:

I’m sorry to hear you were in the hospital, and glad that you’re out now! And I was also happy to see your name pop up—haven’t “seen” you in awhile and was hoping you were alright! 

Thank you!  I have been pretty down since just before the shutdown and things just kept piling on so I haven't really been on FJ much in the last few months.   Dealing with anything was just more than I could handle.

I didn't think I was feeling bad before I was hospitalized, but since I've been home and gone through the whole antibiotic course I think some of what I assumed was depression was actually more physical.  Sometimes it's hard to tell for me since I have so much going on healthwise most of the time.

@AliceInFundyland and @quiversR4hunting sent me PMs recently can that pulled me back in a little bit and I started reading a couple of threads again.

In happier news, I am expecting my first grandchild (a girl!!!!!) in August and I have been staying busy crocheting her ALL. the. things!  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 45

@Curious Your new grandchild needs a Beansie crocheted for her. ;) hop over to the happy thread about Beansie in JRod world - it will make you laugh 

Edited by quiversR4hunting
hope and hop are not the same thing
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 4

@samurai_sarah sounds like my first attemps at baking bread. The inside was fine and tasted good, but the crust had the durability of concrete :D

Congratulations @Curious and a speedy recovery

Edited by klein_roeschen
typo
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 5
  • Thank You 1

• Georgiana locked this topic