IGNORED

Alyssa & John 3: Modesty Make-Up

samurai_sarah

I'm all for some posed family pics or mom/dad with the kids pics. But Alyssa's feed is just so boring with the same shots over and over. Little kids do not usually love posing for umpteen pictures. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

19 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Alyssa sure does seem to love unicorns. 

Where have we seen this before, hmm?

IMG_4212.PNG

• Haha 14

On 4/27/2019 at 6:00 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Rumor has it that some LDS bishops require their church members to submit copies of their tax forms to verify their income so that their tithes can be figured. A similar rumor is that the bishop might come to a member's house to collect their tithe if they miss too many weeks of church. Rumors, but I have heard them in more than one place. 

We used to go the LDS church,we find it ironic that since we moved to this home,an LDS church was built a mile from our home,and is the closest church to us,and if we still went,it would be our ward.(You go the one closest to you.)

I asked Mr Melon if he had to submit tax forms,he says "No,I wouldn't have given them to them,anyway"...lol.

We haven't attended any LDS church in years,so far,no bishops have called to collect a tithe.Maybe things have changed since we left.

We do get annoying visits from the LDS missionaries.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

I hate when people say braids like that are easy. That shit's not easy, Brenda! :pb_lol: 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 17
  • Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I hate when people say braids like that are easy. That shit's not easy, Brenda! :pb_lol: 

Not to mention the time spent blow drying, then braiding, then curling the hair...definitely wouldn't be easy with my hair length/thickness and schedule! But it is a cute hairstyle!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

It’s nice that Alyssa included those who have suffered losses and infertility in her message, possibly influenced by Michael and Whitney’s experiences.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 10

11 minutes ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

It’s nice that Alyssa included those who have suffered losses and infertility in her message, possibly influenced by Michael and Whitney’s experiences.

I agree. I think it was a nice gesture for her to include that considering the experiences several of her family members have had over the years (Michael and Whitney most recently, but also Erin and Kelly too.) It can be a difficult day for a lot of people for a variety of reasons and it’s just nice to see her take the time to acknowledge that in a small way. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

it for sure for Micheal's benefit.  when she announced her pregnancy with Zoey she gave Micheal a heads up before the announcement. something she didn't give Erin when announcing her pregnancy with Allie. even though Erin had suffered three miscarriages by that time.  to me Alyssa seems close to a few siblings and barely tolerates the rest. I think she gets along mostly with Micheal, Lawson, Trace and Josie. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

it for sure for Micheal's benefit.  when she announced her pregnancy with Zoey she gave Micheal a heads up before the announcement. something she didn't give Erin when announcing her pregnancy with Allie. even though Erin had suffered three miscarriages by that time.  to me Alyssa seems close to a few siblings and barely tolerates the rest. I think she gets along mostly with Micheal, Lawson, Trace and Josie. 

I don’t think we know for sure if she ever gave a head’s up to Erin or not. It’s entirely possible she did and it just wasn’t mentioned or filmed.

• Upvote 6

Damn that's a lot of hair. She's adorable! I love that she allowed Allie to have summer hair. It's so much easier and lighter to play outside with. We're not fundie by any means but it took me many many many years to actually cut my hair. In JHS, it was so long I could sit on it. At one point I think I was like 19 I said fuck it and just chopped it off to like my mid arm. Huge change! 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

On 4/27/2019 at 4:00 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Rumor has it that some LDS bishops require their church members to submit copies of their tax forms to verify their income so that their tithes can be figured. A similar rumor is that the bishop might come to a member's house to collect their tithe if they miss too many weeks of church. Rumors, but I have heard them in more than one place. 

Former Mormon here. I’ve never had a bishop ask for our tax docs. I’m sure there are some power-hungry bishops out there that would do something like this though. If you work for the Mormon church, they have access to your W-2’s and can check to see if you are a full tithe payer though. 

In order for you to get a temple recommend, you have to have an interview with your bishop and he reads a list of things that you have to obey to be “worthy” and get the recommend. Honest to god, I know of a bishop that asked for specifics of married couples sex life. Skeevs like him make me glad I left that cult!

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 1

Thank you, @Mrs.Right! I think it's always better to hear from people who were actually part of a group, than to go by rumors from outsiders like me. I guess the fact that it's a fairly believable rumor to outsiders says something about the level of control people expect the LDS leadership to exercise over their members' lives. Asking for tax forms to verify income isn't really more intrusive than asking for details of a married couple's sex life. 

I'm glad you left!

• Upvote 9

I gotta admit I’m guilty of calling Alyssa’s father-in-law Taliban Dan myself but this is a good and crucial perspective IMO. 

50A69B45-1B3D-4FE0-88F1-6E23FE03717A.png

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

It's certainly an interesting perspective, but I don't necessarily think it's very consistent. He's not being called "Muslim Dan," he's being called "Taliban Dan." The Taliban ARE extremist and fundamentalist Muslims, just like Dan Webster is an extremist and fundamentalist Christian. So I actually think it's a fairly apt comparison.

That said, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of not wanting to perpetrate more stereotypes about Muslims.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 9
  • Love 3

I strongly disagree that comparing a cruel and barbaric law to the Taliban - not Islam, the Taliban - somehow hurts non-fundamentalist Muslims. That makes absolutely no sense, and it's insulting to Muslims. This person is for some bizarre reason equating the Taliban with Islam in general. This is like saying that calling the FLDS crazy perpetrates stereotypes about mainstream Mormons. No, of course it doesn't. The FLDS is crazy, and acknowledging it as crazy helps to show how non-crazy mainstream Mormons are in comparison. Same with the Taliban and the non-crazy Muslims. I swear some people are so eager to be the most woke person on Twitter that they end up babbling incomprehensibly and only hurting the cause they're trying to help.

• Upvote 22

On 5/8/2019 at 11:47 PM, Ivycoveredtower said:

Alyssa sure does seem to love unicorns.

Unicorns seem to be super trendy right now. Alyssa seems to be one who follows whatever is trendy. 

Alyssa and the rest of the Bates are religious extremists and they really need to lose their platforms for sugar coating evil. Because of the Bates and people like them women are going to lose rights and could die. And 11 year old child who was raped couldn't get an abortion in the world they are being pretty successful at creating.  These people terrify me because they are so good at looking harmless and even convincing people here that they aren't really fundie, but look what sort of a world they are supporting. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 5

25 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Because they are so good at looking harmless and even convincing people here that they aren't really fundie, but look what sort of a world they are supporting. 

Yes!!  Here!!  There are threads in Batesville right now, active today, that read like a Tiger Beat for this family.

Why the fuck does anyone care whose pics some 20 something guy from Tn is commenting upon if they arent fans excited for the latest Bates ‘ship.

Ive been saying it for years - long before the Up show - that G and K are waaaaay more dangerous than JB and Michelle.

Anyone rememebr the original IT miniseries?  Remember the sweet and genteel elderly woman serving a lovely tea to Beverly and slowly it’s revealed that this charming gentle woman is a monster inside and the tea is toxic?

That’s Kelly.  You’d accept tea from them...at first.

Michelle is a bag full of crazy but at least she shows you she’s a straight up spider...

the better they are at hiding malevolence the more dangerous they are and Bates have Duggars best hands down for that.

• Upvote 17

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

that G and K are waaaaay more dangerous than JB and Michelle.

Very much so because they figure out what people want to see from them and then give people that. They create a fake life and present it to the world as their real life. The whole family has followed in their parents footsteps of looking harmless while not being harmless at all. Lawson is only an anomaly in that he actually tells people the family's terrible beliefs. Does anyone really think the rest of the family doesn't believe the exact same things Lawson tweets? 

No matter what cute unicorn outfit Alyssa puts on her kids it doesn't change that she supports a man who is a religious extremists. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Lawson is only an anomaly in that he actually tells people the family's terrible beliefs.

And you would think on fj that would be seen as a good thing.  That he’s honest with the hate but no....fingers are wagged and headpats given to the cute babies and haircuts.

Part of me doesn’t understand why people come here to fangirl over them, but i do get it because there are enough likeminded people in the fan club that push back is easily ignored.

• Upvote 6

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic