IGNORED

Alyssa & John 3: Modesty Make-Up

samurai_sarah

52 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Hmm... For my 1988 prom, my hair and dress were much poofier than Alyssa's, and my date wore a white tux with an aqua colored bow tie and cumberbund. Most of my friends were dressed similarly. She would have really stood out at my prom! :pb_lol:

Agree. I would date them around 2000-2010

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 6

14 hours ago, Smoochie said:

Wow, she really has given up modest dressing hasn't she!  Hem well above the knee and spaghetti straps with your bra strap showing ... GF has come a loooong way!

That is exactly what I was thinking. I now feel very confident Carlin will knock down the last pretense of "modest" dressing and wear a bikini on her honeymoon if it's anywhere remotely near a beach/pool. To be clear I love that shade of blue and think Alyssa looks great. It's just that there is no way you can "modestly" show someone your bra strap. No way, no how. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

I always wonder who takes these photos.  If this is the babysitter, who's looking after the kids?  But the "spontaneous" photos make me laugh, thinking how long it takes to get the right casual pic.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 8

5 minutes ago, Lurky said:

I always wonder who takes these photos.  If this is the babysitter, who's looking after the kids?  But the "spontaneous" photos make me laugh, thinking how long it takes to get the right casual pic.

I was thinking the same thing, I figured baby sitter with the kids outside or a self timed camera. 

• Upvote 5

When I first saw those date night pictures I thought she'd done something really weird with her hair...then I looked closer and realized it's actually the wreath on the door behind her. ?

• Haha 7

I think she might use a tripod or has something in her garden to put the camera on. A fence or letterbox? It’s always exactly the same angles. No way she always has the same person (height) at exactly the same spot. 

• Upvote 3

Well, if she has three kids under the age of five and 20 more years of fertility ahead, she should practice loading those kids into car seats as fast as possible and get with it.  While she's at it she should teach them to unload themselves as quickly as possible and to line up holding hands for the walk through the parking lot, and pray that some distracted driver doesn't run them over trying to grab a good parking spot.

Or she could stop and think about whether she's really meant to have ten or more children.  Maybe since human society has changed we're not meant to keep having children until we literally can't have any more.  Was there ever an edict in the Bible that says to pop until you drop?  Or was there something about being happy with how many you have, and it was meant more of a "Sorry you keep getting pregnant.  Think of it as a blessing.  Your neighbors only had three, but with the early death rate among children they might not have any that reach the age of adulthood.  Try to think that you having more means you're more likely to have a couple survive long term.  Don't think about how difficult it will be to give each of them individual love and attention, feed them, clothe them, house them, and protect them from assaults from both man and nature.  That's a downer.  We don't have birth control available right now, so if you keep getting pregnant, tell yourself it's a blessing from God and carry on.  Good luck."

• Upvote 9

Fundies say children are a blessing. That is how I feel about Reese's cups. Does not mean that I have to eat an unlimited amount every day ?. Just common sense and critical thinking.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 16
  • Love 8

2 hours ago, Flossie said:

Well, if she has three kids under the age of five and 20 more years of fertility ahead, she should practice loading those kids into car seats as fast as possible and get with it.  While she's at it she should teach them to unload themselves as quickly as possible and to line up holding hands for the walk through the parking lot, and pray that some distracted driver doesn't run them over trying to grab a good parking spot.

Or she could stop and think about whether she's really meant to have ten or more children.  Maybe since human society has changed we're not meant to keep having children until we literally can't have any more.  Was there ever an edict in the Bible that says to pop until you drop?  Or was there something about being happy with how many you have, and it was meant more of a "Sorry you keep getting pregnant.  Think of it as a blessing.  Your neighbors only had three, but with the early death rate among children they might not have any that reach the age of adulthood.  Try to think that you having more means you're more likely to have a couple survive long term.  Don't think about how difficult it will be to give each of them individual love and attention, feed them, clothe them, house them, and protect them from assaults from both man and nature.  That's a downer.  We don't have birth control available right now, so if you keep getting pregnant, tell yourself it's a blessing from God and carry on.  Good luck."

I think she said a long time ago she saw them having more like six. But it's been awhile and I don't remember the context, other than it was shortly after they married. 

I'd bet money that very few of this crowd will reach double digits and that most will have fewer than six, once it's all said and done in a couple decades. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, backyard sylph said:

I think she said a long time ago she saw them having more like six. But it's been awhile and I don't remember the context, other than it was shortly after they married. 

I'd bet money that very few of this crowd will reach double digits and that most will have fewer than six, once it's all said and done in a couple decades. 

I agree. The shows won’t last forever, and how will they make ends meet without viable education? At least the Bates, unlike the Duggars, appear to enjoy working ( or aren’t allergic to it). They’ve know the good life and I doubt many would willingly go back to fumpers, limited, crappy food and no vacations or date nights.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Flossie said:

I've wondered about that. Yes, the Bible says go forth and multiply and some did have a lot of kids. Not everyone in the Bible did. But also you have to look at the time period. Having five, ten, fifteen or twenty kids back then didn't mean all of them would survive. Many wouldn't survive. A lot of people ended up with only one or two kids that made it to adulthood. Its really been that case every century until the 1950s. You had kids knowing you were going to be burying some of them. If you look at other historical figures at the time. Or even later. Julius Caesar had two a daughter he buried and his son with Cleo who would murdered in his early teens. Most of the Roman Emperors had that same problem which is why they ended up adopting boys or grown men. Henry VIII's ended up with three legitimate children that survived to adulthood despite his 6 wives. Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn had several miscarriages. It was never a guarantee that any of their children would survive. US Franklin Pierce and his wife buried all three of their sons and neither of them recovered from it. Queen Anne had 17 pregnancies most of them were miscarriages the rest all died infancy, one made it all the way to age 12 before he died. It makes sense that couples would have or try to have lots of kids. 

• Upvote 12

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I agree. The shows won’t last forever, and how will they make ends meet without viable education? At least the Bates, unlike the Duggars, appear to enjoy working ( or aren’t allergic to it). They’ve know the good life and I doubt many would willingly go back to fumpers, limited, crappy food and no vacations or date nights.

I'm curious on what's going to happen when the shows go off the air for those reasons. The Bates kids might be able to make it but I do think the Duggar kids are going to be hit hard. They have so little education and skills which is going to limit them and they've also never had to be at a place at a certain time 5 days a week or more, they've never had to deal with employers who expect you to show up, do your job and aren't going to put up with them being late because Duggar Time. Even with their shows its hard tell where JB is getting the money to support all his kids and most of their spouses and grandchildren. Its hard to tell where Jill and Derick are getting money despite him not having a job. Same with Erin especially since Chad left a study job to go into construction and possibly flip houses.   

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

I think people forget or don't realize the scope of the Duggar’s massive real estate holdings. I definitely think the show and the magazine and book deals gave them quite a leg up but they’ve invested all that in real estate and I think thats where most of their money is.  

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 6

53 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I'm curious on what's going to happen when the shows go off the air for those reasons. The Bates kids might be able to make it but I do think the Duggar kids are going to be hit hard. They have so little education and skills which is going to limit them and they've also never had to be at a place at a certain time 5 days a week or more, they've never had to deal with employers who expect you to show up, do your job and aren't going to put up with them being late because Duggar Time. Even with their shows its hard tell where JB is getting the money to support all his kids and most of their spouses and grandchildren. Its hard to tell where Jill and Derick are getting money despite him not having a job. Same with Erin especially since Chad left a study job to go into construction and possibly flip houses.   

Erin and Chad, Well Chad does seem to have steady work with his new business which I think if he keeps working hard could be on solid ground by the time the show ends. (I don't see the Bates show ending for awhile)  there is also the fact that Erin is one of the main people on BUB I think she's in like every episode and the fact that they only rent a two bedroom house and Chad makes most of the furniture for them. Plus Erin has her CD sales and I do think she's still doing some piano lessons on the side. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

At least the Bates, unlike the Duggars, appear to enjoy working

Kind of surprising since I think JB had a hell of a lot more hustle in him (pre-TV days) than Gil ever did.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Kind of surprising since I think JB had a hell of a lot more hustle in him (pre-TV days) than Gil ever did.

JB knew how to run for office and buy up property. Well Gil left a good job to start his own bushiness which I'm sorry I don't think ever really took off.  I think if the Bates didn't have the show Lawson would still be paying for the grocery's and lending his siblings money. I think the Bates Kids know how to work because they never want to go back to the days when they were flat broke. 

I think the Duggar's always had a bit of a cushion that the bates didn't have growing up 

• Upvote 10

6 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

Well Gil left a good job to start his own bushiness which I'm sorry I don't think ever really took off. 

Because he wouldn't work a full day.  Was it he would only work afternoons or wouldn't work afternoons?  Either way you don't raise 19 kids on a part time business.

I agree the Duggar kids absolutely had a cushion early on.  JB may have been in the work smart not hard camp but he hustled for money in a way I don't think Gil would ever be capable of.  I could be wrong.

• Upvote 9

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I agree the Duggar kids absolutely had a cushion early on.  JB may have been in the work smart not hard camp but he hustled for money in a way I don't think Gil would ever be capable of.  I could be wrong.

Michelle helped in the early years with JB as well. They both had their real estate licenses if I remember correctly. Now the more kids they had, the less she was involved, I am sure. JB seems savvy in the way of the real estate market and we know they own a lot of properties. Gil is just lazy and I am pretty sure that Kelly is there with him. 

• Upvote 12

6 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

IIRC, several of the Bates have said they wanted a certain number of children, instead of as many as God gives them. To me that certainly implies that they would be using some form of birth control or at least natural family planning.  I would be genuinely interested in hearing how they have justified this in light of their parents' views.  Have any of them every addressed it?  Same with the clothing choices.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

IIRC, several of the Bates have said they wanted a certain number of children, instead of as many as God gives them. To me that certainly implies that they would be using some form of birth control or at least natural family planning.  I would be genuinely interested in hearing how they have justified this in light of their parents' views.  Have any of them every addressed it?  Same with the clothing choices.

I remember Kelly saying how it was something like their own house their own rules. this is when Whit was pregnant with Bradley and they were discussing how Bradley would be allowed to watch Winnie the Pooh

okay found the episode she says all of our children are going to make choices that we didn't make the rules that we set are for this house.  but when they leave this house if they make different rules that's fine.  she says but I think the core values in spite of the differences are the same 

Edited by Ivycoveredtower
  • Upvote 3

Kelly's right. You don't have to wear frumpers or shun everything pop culture to be batshit crazy fundie.

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 6

22 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

here's an idea Alyssa stop trying to match everyone all the time. 

It makes me laugh to think of them handing their phone to some church member each Sunday - like they are tourists standing in front of the Eiffel Tower looking for a stranger to take their pics.

I took a ton of pics of my kids when they were small and would pose them on occasion but most were candids....and certainly didn't include formal poses with my husband on the reg.

Maybe arrogance has replaced cleanliness as being next to godliness.  My bible hasn't been updated lately.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 9

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic