IGNORED

Alyssa & John 3: Modesty Make-Up

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I periodically have to forge my boss signature. It has a z in it. It's the most wretched looking thing in the world.

(It's on random forms like W9s that are not going to be scrutinized for some kind of legal situation, so it's not a big deal. I just wince every time I make the effort. I never manage to get the same way twice)

Yes! That's the only letter I struggle with in cursive. Always have. Probably always will. The (thankfully) very few times I try it looks so crazy! 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, mollysmom said:

Yes! That's the only letter I struggle with in cursive. Always have. Probably always will. The (thankfully) very few times I try it looks so crazy! 

I've been addressing a lot of invitations recently with calligraphy pens, and I'm here to report that my capital and lower case Z's look awesome. My T's, C's, U's, and lower case K's suck balls though. Which is unfortunate since they are far more common in English...

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

I've been addressing a lot of invitations recently with calligraphy pens, and I'm here to report that my capital and lower case Z's look awesome. My T's, C's, U's, and lower case K's suck balls though. Which is unfortunate since they are far more common in English...

I had the worst time with lower case s. Mine looks like an o. I was dinged over and over on that. My last name starts and ends in s. Love the regal upper S and have completely worked out my own thing with the ending.

All this aside - and even though I have heard stories about tyrannical teachers- I am somewhat envious of those who know that old-fashioned Palmer method. So classy.

My whole name was created so that if I was left-handed it would be easier for me to write in cursive.

Edited by AliceInFundyland
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, mollysmom said:

I have a cursive z and y right next to each other in my last name. So I basically just scribble my last name when I sign anything. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Sooo... this happened. I wonder how much time will pass until her 4th arrives given the health issues. 

C81D2766-5CAE-4283-BB61-3AD5FCD98FAA.png

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 5

Baby fever. Uh oh. I think she will be pregnant within 12 months. 

I don’t understand people who try specifically for one gender, that’s a dangerous game to play and it’s how my SIL ended up with a severe case of gender disappointment and three boys despite the fact that her husband wanted to be done trying for babies after baby number 2.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2

Regarding cursive, I was taught it and my normal handwriting is a mix of print and cursive. My cursive isn’t bad, but I had one of my students this year ask me to teach them cursive. I wrote the alphabet on the board before school and during lunch so she could learn it and we went over how to connect letters to make words. It made me really happy when she wrote me a note at the end of the year in cursive.

Regarding trying for a particular sex, we have family friends who always wanted a girl and had four boys over ten years and then waited a few years and finally got a girl. They divorced and the husbands new wife got pregnant and the sex of their first kid was a girl. We laughed at the irony of the situation when they found out what they were having. 

• Upvote 2

12 years of Catholic schools...you bet I can write in cursive (and I've been told I have "beautiful" handwriting)...but I'm lazy AF. My first and last name start with the same letter now so I write a large first name letter and squiggle and large last name letter and squiggle. I much prefer typing these days, I type faster than I can write and it's easier to erase a mistake. 

I also learned engineering drafting lettering...used to be pretty good at it but I'm way out of practice these days. 

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’ve found that the older generation really hates when cursive isn’t taught in public school. 

My 10 year old started learning cursive in 3rd grade two years ago. I don't know if all the schools in our district teach cursive, but our school does. I don't think they spend as much time practicing as I did as a kid in the early 80s, but my daughter's writing is pretty good. They use a simplified script from a company called "Handwriting Without Tears". (Pic under spoiler.)

Spoiler

Handwriting Without Tears:

20190508_023300.thumb.jpg.ac8918cec11e8ab60f7ff095c0c63a88.jpg

The Palmer Method I learned in grade school:20190316_114357.png.4efe56670405608b301e3314fb4450c0.png

4 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

I had the worst time with lower case s. Mine looks like an o. 

(snipped)

My whole name was created so that if I was left-handed it would be easier for me to write in cursive.

My bête noire is the lowercase r. I gave up on making it as carefully as I was taught, so now it just looks like a shapeless bump.

Since I'm left-handed, maybe we need to trade names. :kitty-wink:

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
10 year old tells me she started cursive in 3rd grade, not 4th
  • Upvote 10

1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

My 10 year old started learning cursive in 3rd grade two years ago. I don't know if all the schools in our district teach cursive, but our school does. I don't think they spend as much time practicing as I did as a kid in the early 80s, but my daughter's writing is pretty good. They use a simplified script from a company called "Handwriting Without Tears". (Pic under spoiler.)

Hide contents

Handwriting Without Tears:

20190508_023300.thumb.jpg.ac8918cec11e8ab60f7ff095c0c63a88.jpg

The Palmer Method I learned in grade school:20190316_114357.png.4efe56670405608b301e3314fb4450c0.png

My bête noire is the lowercase r. I gave up on making it as carefully as I was taught, so now it just looks like a shapeless bump.

Since I'm left-handed, maybe we need to trade names. :kitty-wink:

Ok I never knew it was called Palmer method - that is how I learned at a private school that used Abeka curriculum also. We ONLY wrote in cursive and were not allowed to use print. We also only had pencils without erasers- we were not allowed to erase our mistakes. I have no idea if all these things are related to Abeka or what. I feel like maybe it is if the fundies are doing the same things. 

My cursive is “fancy” according to all my peers (I’m in my late 20s). When I transitioned to a public school in grade 4, a teacher thought I was being obnoxious on my first test before she realized I actually only write in cursive. 

I see Handwriting Without Tears used by a lot of pediatric occupational therapists and it seems like a cool program. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I love pretty cursive handwriting. Sadly I am definitely not good at it. I write too fast, put too much pressure on the pen and my hold is too tight too. I am also left handed but that is not really a problem. If I put my paper in a good angle and pay attention it’s fine.

But most of the time my handwriting, cursive or not by the way, looks horrible.

Another thing is that we teach a „simplified“ cursive at school. The problem is when you start to develop your own style in writing and stop writing every letter exactly as you learned it. The old, more complicated cursive still looks somewhat pretty when you just slap it on paper. The simplified looks just very sloppy. 

Having the right grip is so important. I heard playing with play-dough helps with training those finger and hand muscles. Too late for me but I will try to have an eye at my daughters handwriting and if she needs support when she is old enough.

• Upvote 3

Alyssa may want a boy, but lately she seems overwhelmed with the 3 girls. I know heart issues make you feel exhausted, so clearly her sickness is making her motherhood harder than usual. But even if she was healthy, would she be happy with 4 kids? She loves quiet time and is not patient (not speculation, she says so). So what's the point in adding a boy?

• Upvote 9

I saw that baby fever/I need a boy post too. I hope and pray Alyssa, or more importantly John, is smart enough to delay any babies for at least 6/9+ months until shes able to have her second surgery, and get her health issues under control. My concern is that they are only doing NFP which has some room for error. 

• Upvote 11

2 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Alyssa may want a boy, but lately she seems overwhelmed with the 3 girls. I know heart issues make you feel exhausted, so clearly her sickness is making her motherhood harder than usual. But even if she was healthy, would she be happy with 4 kids? She loves quiet time and is not patient (not speculation, she says so). So what's the point in adding a boy?

Especially because they might be adding another girl. 

I do agree though with the posters who think a boy now might limit their family size. A boy to be the heir (and all that shit) and I believe we would see bigger spacing.

They might not use contraception but they don’t strike me as cycle tracking to get as many as possible either. Most couples that don’t use contraception don’t have more 15+ children. Those families are the exception. Many only have 6-10.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, 19tacos&counting said:

My concern is that they are only doing NFP which has some room for error. 

Especially since I'm guessing they're more on the "rhythm method" side of things (~25% failure rate) than true NFP, which involves tracking your basal body temperature and mucus secretions (~4% failure rate). 

I do wonder how the youngest girl will feel about all this "we want a boy!" talk as she gets older. She'll have to realize that they had wished she were a boy. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

I actually think John might be open to using birth control for medical reasons. I don't think he wants to put Alyssa at risk. The question is - would Alyssa go along if john tells her to use birth control?

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

I couldn't write in cursive if my life depended on it.  I honestly don't know why they teach it in schools.  I feel like even writing with pencil and paper will eventually be given pretty little time---I write things by hand for Christmas cards and thank you notes and that is all.  

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, lumpentheologie said:

I couldn't write in cursive if my life depended on it.  I honestly don't know why they teach it in schools.  I feel like even writing with pencil and paper will eventually be given pretty little time---I write things by hand for Christmas cards and thank you notes and that is all.  

Physically writing things down does help with memorization and learning, so there should still be a great deal of time spent on practicing penmanship in the lower grades in my opinion.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Ali said:

Physically writing things down does help with memorization and learning, so there should still be a great deal of time spent on practicing penmanship in the lower grades in my opinion.

YES!!!!!! In college, I could quickly lose interest in a lecture...I'm not an auditory learner. HOWEVER...if I took notes, I was good to go. If I write it down or read it, I won't forget it. I once wrote a 500 page procedure and for years afterwards could quote chapter and verse to anyone who wanted it AND tell them the page number. I finished it around 2004 and was getting calls about it up until about 2010 (and even after I had left that job). I still can do that with a number of things I've read or written out. 

Handwriting is going to be a necessary skill for a long-ass time to come. What happens if your computer/smart phone shits out and you're left with nothing to take notes on and have no real handwriting skills??? You're fucked...

About pencil/pen grip...in 2nd grade, the teacher would come around and try to take the pencil out of our hands. You should only grip the pencil tight enough to push it around the paper. Yes, I was a Palmer Method, Catholic School brat who still can write properly if given the motivation. 

• Upvote 11

Continued here:

• Thank You 1

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic