IGNORED

Fire at Paris's Notre Dame Cathedral

47of74

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my visit on May 10, 2017 with my mom.  I was lighting a candle for my friends, and she told me to light one for her.  She went to heaven 3 weeks later. ?

thumb_IMG_0559_1024 3.jpg

I pray they get through this without any injury or loss of life.  My heart is breaking for the people of Paris ...and the world.  

And I pray they had the relics in a fireproof box.

Just now, wallysmommy said:

From my visit on May 10, 2017 with my mom.  I was lighting a candle for my friends, and she told me to light one for her.  She went to heaven 3 weeks later. ?

thumb_IMG_0559_1024 3.jpg

I am so sorry for the loss of your mom.  Thank you for sharing that picture.

Firefighters are true heroes. Can you imagine getting close to a blaze like that! I hope they all stay safe.

I am also relieved that nobody has been killed or injured. This is holy week, so more people will have been there to worship.

@HerNameIsBuffy Word has it they evacuated the relics, the sacraments (I'm not sure what those are actually), and some of the art when the fire started. 

At least a portion would have been saved because of the restorative work and they removed the medieval Apostle statues a few days ago I understand. 

Just now, Destiny said:

@HerNameIsBuffy Word has it they evacuated the relics, the sacraments (I'm not sure what those are actually), and some of the art when the fire started. 

Likely, by sacraments, they mean any consecrated host that was in the tabernacle at the time. In non-Catholic language, leftover communion wafers from the last mass. 

They also may have been referring to sacramentals, that is any blessed item that is used in the church like chalices, monstrances, etc... I would assume that there were some very old and beautiful items of that type in that church. 

4 minutes ago, Destiny said:

The sacraments would be the bread and wine that had been consecrated at Mass and not consumed. A lot of times there’s leftovers and they keep them for subsequent Masses or if someone needs communion outside of Mass.

1 minute ago, louisa05 said:

They also may have been referring to sacramentals, that is any blessed item that is used in the church like chalices, monstrances, etc... I would assume that there were some very old and beautiful items of that type in that church. 

That makes sense. Thank you. 

Just now, Destiny said:

When I read that here I mentioned it to my office mate (he’s french) and he said not to believe everything as the french news he’s watchibg isn’t reporting that.  

I hope it’s true.

By sacrements they are talking about the Eucharist and wine - anything already consecrated is the body and blood of Christ.

at other church fires around France last few months some have desecrated the Eucharist.  

Atm I don’t kbow how to draw an analogy to convey what it means to do that to Catholics.

We need better rules regarding construction welding in general and wooden structures in particular.  Welders s/b using welding blankets of some kind and water hosing down the job site.

This is absolutely horrifying to watch. I am devastated at the loss of history. I am honestly just so sick over this. 

This is just terrible.  Praying for the fire fighters. The world is losing history right now. So sad. 

38 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I'm so sorry to the people of France. I'm humiliated that the president of America is behaving this way. 

I think the good news and bad news is that people have gotten used to it.  Known entity.  No use wasting energy to be appalled...again.

This is horrifying. Anything they didn't get out of there is a loss. What a tragic loss for humanity. ?

Edited for a better link. (You might have to click on it)

The spire just collapsed :(  This is so horrifying.

edit: the spire didn’t just collapse. 6am adidas needs to watch the whole breaking news report from overnight before posting.

Also, you're right @HerNameIsBuffy. I can't find any backup for them having gotten the relics out. Supposedly the fire started in the attic, so hopefully they had some time to grab things. 

The last pictures that just came across ... Is it just me, or is the stained glass gone? Please tell me it's just me. ?

Yes. That’s the skeleton we see. The panes were held together with lead and that would not have lasted in the inferno. 

8 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I thought the spire collapsed hours  ago?!

I edited my post - I was still making my morning coffee while watching the news.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but if the relics weren’t saved is there a chance the nail survived the fire?

I have no idea how they were forged or what temps they can withstand.

It looks more and more terrifying and tragic with every new picture. I just hope nobody gets injured or killed. 

Archived