IGNORED

Fire at Paris's Notre Dame Cathedral

47of74

Some bad news out of Paris

A fire has broken out at the famous Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris and has spread rapidly across the building.

The cause was not immediately clear, but officials say that it could be linked to renovation work.

The Notre-Dame cathedral, which is visited by millions of people every year, is undergoing renovations after cracks began to appear in the stone, sparking fears the structure could become unstable.

I see orange idiot had to chime in.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 23
  • Rufus Bless 2

So? An historical tragedy is happening. That should be the focus and All world leaders will eventually comment. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 3
  • Love 1

I don't give a single shit what Trump has to say about this, or any other world leader, for that matter, unless they're also willing to suit up and start helping to put the fire out. This is Notre Dame, it's been there since the fucking 12th century, and I can't believe what I'm seeing. The entire roof has collapsed, the spire is gone, and the firefighters can't get close enough to be effective in getting the fire out. And it's going to be dark soon. I just...I feel overwhelmed and devastated, I can't even begin to imagine what the French are feeling right now. :pb_cry:

• Upvote 27
  • Love 11

Of course Trump thinks he has the best ideas on how to put out a fire like that. A thoughts and prayers post would be better than what he did. 

It is just so heartbreaking to see such a beautiful building full of such history burn down. So much history gone in one day. :(

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 2

I've been watching - it is heartbreaking.   I simply can't even imagine things that old,historic, amazing, beautiful,  and then to lose them so quickly and horrifically.   

• Upvote 15
  • Love 4

6 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Of course Trump thinks he has the best ideas on how to put out a fire like that. A thoughts and prayers post would be better than what he did. 

When a thoughts and prayers post is the most appropriate option, he's all "got to deal with this quickly! Here's how I'd do it!" but when there's a mass shooting it's all "Oh, thoughts and prayers, nothing we can do..."

I'm surprised at how sad I am at seeing the cathedral burn. I got to visit it once, and feel very lucky that I did. It's horrible to see something so old and so iconic burning.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 11

I wonder what they had up there that was so flammable, and what sparked the fire.  Dropcloths?  Oil-based products?  Blowtorch or cigarette?

It's painful to watch over the Internet and I can't imagine what it's like to watch from nearby.

• Upvote 14

With An 800 year old building filled with wooden scaffolding could have been something as simple as an electrical spark.

Do they not utilize water from helicopters though? 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

7 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

WIth as much smoke that this fire produced, I wondered if they could get aircraft close enough.

• Upvote 8

9 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I"m sure that if that was an option they didn't need Trump to tell them. Trump is hardly a fire fighting expert and in a time like this he needs to just offer condolences and not act like he knows better than they do. 

Aren't there artifacts in the cathedral? I wonder if they were able to save any of them. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 14

9 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

No.  According to the news, the structure is so old and fragile that pouring a planeload of water on top of it would damage the building further.

• Upvote 23
  • Thank You 2

2 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I wonder what they had up there that was so flammable, and what sparked the fire.  Dropcloths?  Oil-based products?  Blowtorch or cigarette?

It's painful to watch over the Internet and I can't imagine what it's like to watch from nearby.

I work just down from the Glasgow School of Art and hadn't been home from work long when it caught fire last year, the people on shift from my work were panicking even though we are across the street and down a bit. My work was closed for a week but other businesses and homes were evacuated for months. I'm just glad in both instances no one was injured.

Like Notre Dame the School of Art was being renovated when it caught fire and the cause is still to be established. I hope the building can be salvaged but it looks in a bad way.

• Upvote 14

I'm seeing pictures of firefighters on the towers and on lifts very close to the flames trying to direct water onto the fire.  I hope they're safe up there.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 4

The fire started two hours ago and the flames are starting to die down a bit, but that's because there's so much less of the cathedral left to burn.

Also, several statues (seven, I think) were removed from the building in the last week for cleaning, so at least something was saved.  The reporter also says that there are unsubstantiated reports that other works of art were rushed out when the fire was first discovered.  How true that is, and how much was possibly saved is unknown for now.

So far no reports of deaths or injuries, but firefighters have had difficulty reaching the scene due to people in the streets watching the fire.

Edited by Flossie
  • Upvote 18
  • Sad 1

I don't care what Trump has to say or not because nothing he says will be right to be frank. But it’s not about him or world leaders or politics at the moment.  A piece of history and national pride  is dying by the minute and absolutely priceless art is disintegrating as we speak.   We should mourn that but be thankful no one has been killed or injured. 

But you would think the Vatican and Pope Francis would have said something by now.

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

When aroud an hour ago my father come to tell me that Notre Dame is burning I was like "yeah OK stop joking, is not funny" then he says "is true, seems something about the renovation work start the fire" and I was so sad and incredulous and I don't know just shocked I think. I hope they are able to save something and no one gets hurt trying to take down the fire.

So very sad for all my French friends 

Edited by Italiangirl
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

9 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Like Notre Dame the School of Art was being renovated when it caught fire and the cause is still to be established. I hope the building can be salvaged but it looks in a bad way.

2 and a half years ago my church was having some work done on the roof, and a spark from a torch of some kind smoldered long enough for the workers to be gone before the entire roof went up in flames. We lost our 1924 sanctuary, all but the outer brick walls. We are just now beginning (like literally, they just delivered a dumpster to the site two days ago) to rebuild. It was major news locally, and affected so many people who don't even attend the church.  Notre Dame is such an important place for the entire world, it's heartbreaking to see it on fire. 

I took a zillion photos when I was there. I'm so glad I did.

• Upvote 12
  • Love 6

An eyewitness reports that despite tentative reports that one of the towers is now burning says that he can see the towers clearly and sees no flames.  He further states that he can see the towers so well because the roof of the main structure has fallen and no longer obstructs his view.

Edited by Flossie
  • Upvote 9
  • Sad 3

France24 English is quoting a priest from Notre Dame as saying that much of the cathedral's artwork was saved.  The damage to the work of art that is the cathedral itself is such a loss, though.  

• Upvote 11
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • Love 5

46 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

Helicopters would have destroyed the roof further and potentially broken windows, which gives the fire even more oxygen -- not helpful. 

I hope the story that the relics were gotten out is true. I'm gutted about the organ though. 

The French civil defence and crisis management agency have dismissed President Trump’s suggestion that flying water tankers could put the fire out.

“The drop of water by air on this type of building could result in the collapse of the entire structure along with the firefighers who are currently doing their best to save Notre Dame,” it tweeted. 

“Helicopter or airplane, the weight of the water and the intensity of the drop at low altitude could weaken the structure of Notre-Dame and result in collateral damage to the buildings in the vicinity.”

From: https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2019/apr/15/notre-dame-cathedral-fire-paris-france-landmark-live-news

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 15
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3

And of course fuck head had to make it all about him

President Donald Trump on Monday complained that a devastating fire at Notre Dame cathedral had put a “damper” on the excitement at his presidential events.

“Probably if you think about it, I would say, it might be greater than almost any museum in the world,” he continued. “Looks like it is burning to the ground. So, that put a damper what we’re about to say. To be honest.”

“That is a truly great cathedral. I’ve seen it. There is no cathedral I think I say, probably no cathedral in the world like it,” he said. “It is a terrible sight to behold. With that being said I want to tell you that a lot of progress has been made by our country in the last 2 1/2 years.”

Donald. Fuck off for once in your worthless life.

• Upvote 13
  • Disgust 6
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 4
  • I Agree 5

3 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

. With that being said I want to tell you that a lot of progress has been made by our country in the last 2 1/2 years.”

I'm so sorry to the people of France. I'm humiliated that the president of America is behaving this way. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 23

Paris firefighters have responded (indirectly) to Trump:

A spokesman for the Paris fire department tells Reuters that the next hour and a half is “crucial” in order to see if the fire can be contained.

Hundreds of firefighters are at the scene, with the Paris fire brigade saying they are doing everything they can to bring “the terrible fire” under control.

“All means are being used, except for water-bombing aircrafts which, if used, could lead to the collapse of the entire structure of the cathedral,” it tweeted.

I am so sad about this. I am a bit of a nerd about mediaeval ecclesiastical architecture, and the rib vaults in Notre Dame are a fine early example. 

Edited by bal maiden
I wrote "Paris pompiers" which is a nonsense half translation. It should be pompiers de Paris, or Paris firefighters!
  • Upvote 20