IGNORED

Kendra & Joe Part 12: Another day, Another Duggar on the Way

Georgiana

I have never met someone the same age as me with my name. I grew up in a super small place and no on ever ever questioned me on my name. By the time I went to university, everyone was asking me "Your name is so different! Where did you get it?" By the end of my time there, I was so annoyed the answer was always "From my parents. How about you?" 

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3

I don’t know if I’ve told this story here, but since we are talking names I might as well. I get questions about my name fairly often because people expect Charlie to be short for Charlotte or Charlene, but it’s actually just Charlie. As the family legend goes, two ultrasounds indicated I was to be a male, but despite the that tip-top medical assessment I came out sans penis. My parents had a boy name all picked out, Charles, but no girl names, so Charlie it was. I love my name, but I also made damn sure we had back-up names ready to go when my son was born, jic ?

• Upvote 23
  • Love 3

16 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

I don’t know if I’ve told this story here, but since we are talking names I might as well. I get questions about my name fairly often because people expect Charlie to be short for Charlotte or Charlene, but it’s actually just Charlie. As the family legend goes, two ultrasounds indicated I was to be a male, but despite the that tip-top medical assessment I came out sans penis. My parents had a boy name all picked out, Charles, but no girl names, so Charlie it was. I love my name, but I also made damn sure we had back-up names ready to go when my son was born, jic ?

Personally I love the name Charlie for a girl! So rock that name!

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I have never met someone the same age as me with my name. I grew up in a super small place and no on ever ever questioned me on my name. By the time I went to university, everyone was asking me "Your name is so different! Where did you get it?" By the end of my time there, I was so annoyed the answer was always "From my parents. How about you?" 

LOL yes! My first name is well different. I was born with that name and well my parents chose to keep my name after my adoption. I have people ask me who named you... I roll my eyes and answer sarcastically the dog named me, or I named myself.

• Upvote 9

I know a baby Mabel :D and I've heard Ida a few time (normally as a double name ie Ida May).

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I believe Judith was published in the original King James Bible and the Apocrypha weren't removed until thirty years later. So maybe if someone is a really hard line traditionalist Protestant, they would still include it? (But yeah, I can't think of any mainstream Protestant Bible from any country that would currently include the Apocrypha.)

That said, I am pretty positive that most of the Duggars and their ilk don't know about the Apocrypha. I am constantly shocked at what they don't now about the religion they claim to have built their lives around. I doubt they even know the Catholic and Protestant Bibles accept different books (or else they think Catholics have some completely separate Satan-inspired Bible written in baby blood.)

Judith's story is so cool. It's too bad I don't really like the way the name sounds. 

I'm constantly shocked at what they don't know either about their religion. So much of it is so common you'd think they'd know. They study the Bible, read from it every day of their lives, and etc. Yet there's so much they don't know. I still can't get over Gil and Kelly, who preach, claimed to love the Bible, her father was a preacher but didn't know anything about Michal. Michal isn't some obscure name mentioned in the Bible. She was the daughter of King Saul. Wife of David, you know the one they talk about all the time? Who saved David's life. There is no way to read anything about David and not learn about Michal. 

And yes Judith was badass. She beheaded the enemy general. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, CharlieInCharge said:

Charlie it was

Charlie and various spellings is becoming more common here - I know a 7 year old Charli and a 1 year old Charley. Both are their names , not abbreviations for Charlotte. 

I have always liked your user name, good to hear of women in charge!

Edited by Karma
Double posted
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

Not that you asked, but I’m a Domme, so the In Charge part is VERY true lmao ?

Edited by CharlieInCharge
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 8
  • Love 2

I worked with an exotic dancer who goes by Charlie last week. I think her given name is Charlene, Charlotte, or something similar. The name Charlie really suits her, as she's got a playful tomboyish vibe.

@CharlieInCharge I've always wanted to pro domme. I dance because I love the stage, but in the VIP these 8 inch platform heels are made for stomping. ;)

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 2

@DundeeUnFundie My cousin named their daughter Ida last year! But just as a single name. 

I'm also one of those weird people with the "out of the top 100" names. Husband and I currently like the names Terra or Kiera for a girl and Finn(egan?) or Rowan for a boy. 

• Upvote 4

On 4/15/2019 at 8:58 PM, Kailash said:

“Old fashioned “ names have grown on me as I get older. Right now I find the name Genevieve incredibly beautiful. I also love the name Eugene. And for some reason, out of left field, I adore Cameron for a girl. 

I love Genevieve! It was top 3 on our list of names for our second girl. For some reason though I couldn't commit to any of the names during my pregnancy. After we met her we realized none of our choices really "fit" her and ended up choosing a name that hadn't even been on our radar before the day she was born (it suits her perfectly!) Go figure. But yes I have a soft spot for "old fashioned" names too. In the unlikely event that we were to have another girl I'd probably go with Evelyn.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

17 hours ago, DundeeUnFundie said:

I know a baby Mabel :D and I've heard Ida a few time (normally as a double name ie Ida May).

Local DJ has 2 daughters Evelyn & Mabel, I also have a niece named Evelyn & the two are the same age and both are nicknamed Evie (pronounced E- VEE).

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

My name is Leigh. It is a boys name. Yes its a girls name, and I have the girls spelling, but I have always been told " ew you have a boys name" by kids at school etc. I get letters addressed to Mr Leigh ..., phone calls "can I speak to Mr Leigh ..." The taxi booked to bring me home from a hospital app the other was booked under my name, Leigh, and when said taxi arrived I opened the door and asked if it was for Leigh the taxi bloke was very apologetic saying he legit thought it was a bloke he picking up. I used to really hate my name because of this, of course it also doesn't help that my Dad wanted a son, he already had a daughter with a girlie name so I was treated as a boy and named as such.

Im growing to like my name and it being non traditional girlie, which is handy but I made damn sure I named both my daughters very feminine girlie names ?

The amount of people who can't read and then pronounce my name is ridiculous! When booking in for bowling last week the woman was insistent my name was pronounced LIGHT *sigh*! 

Edited by IsmeWeatherwax
Grammer
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 7

Looking it up now... 

We have two serious contenders for each sex this time. The girl names were both ranked in the top 100 in 2017 - one was very low on the list and the other was top 30. The first name is the front runner right now, pretty much entirely because it’s a family name on my husband's side and because we both like it. One of the boy names is top 1,000 and the front runner is in the top 150. 

All of the names are ones you’d have heard of and aren’t spelled uniquely. Our second boy name used to be much more common, but fell out of favor for trendier versions and nicknames. All of the four names we like have family connections somehow though and they’ll sound good with the middle names we chose - my FIL’s and BIL’s first name for a boy and the name my maternal Great-Great-Aunt went by for a girl (she was super sweet and lived a very adventurous life, so it’s a good choice. :) )

• Love 6

6 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

My name is Leigh. It is a boys name. Yes its a girls name, and I have the girls spelling, but I have always been told " ew you have a boys name" by kids at school etc. I get letters addressed to Mr Leigh ..., phone calls "can I speak to Mr Leigh ..." The taxi booked to bring me home from a hospital app the other was booked under my name, Leigh, and when said taxi arrived I opened the door and asked if it was for Leigh the taxi bloke was very apologetic saying he legit thought it was a bloke he picking up. I used to really hate my name because of this, of course it also doesn't help that my Dad wanted a son, he already had a daughter with a girlie name so I was treated as a boy and named as such.

Im growing to like my name and it being non traditional girlie, which is handy but I made damn sure I named both my daughters very feminine girlie names ?

The amount of people who can't read and then pronounce my name is ridiculous! When booking in for bowling last week the woman was insistent my name was pronounced LIGHT *sigh*! 

There was a mom at my kids' school who was Leigh Lee (married name).  

Our common denominator for our kids' names was 'not in the top 20 right not but you've heard of it and it's been around more than a few years'.  If you are old enough to have read "Beyond Jennifer and Jason" I think we fall into something like the Classic and Uncommon bracket or something like that.  That said, one of the 3 is way closer to top 20 than the other 2 (can't be bothered looking the actual rank up right now but one of my kids regularly has another kid with his name either in his class or at least, at his school.  My daughter's name is probably around #100 for her year.  My other son's name was like #300 or less for his age  but was much more common for people my age and also for particular ethnic groups). 

• Upvote 3

On 4/15/2019 at 8:26 PM, twoandthrough said:

My toddler daughters both have old fashioned names, neither of which are on the Social Security top 100 list for 2017 (the most recent year they have available), and they were born in 2015 and 2017. We get compliments nearly every time someone new learns their names, but we also get a lot of, "Wow, you guys must really like old lady names". We chose them because they are long and elegant and both have several variations of nicknames to choose from. We call them any and all forms from their full names to several nicknames from their full names each and lots of plays on words. It's a miracle my 3.5 year old can say her full name and her most common nickname since she goes by so many. ? Unintentionally, both girls' names have nine letters each, as well as three syllables. This baby shop is closed for business, but if the big V ever fails, my slight control freak nature would need to find another nine letter, three syllable name to "match" theirs! ?

this would ABSOLUTELY be me if i were in that situation ?. also, now I'm totally forever going to think that that your kids are named Millicent and Gwendolyn (just FYI lmao) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, neurogirl said:

@DundeeUnFundie My cousin named their daughter Ida last year! But just as a single name. 

I'm also one of those weird people with the "out of the top 100" names. Husband and I currently like the names Terra or Kiera for a girl and Finn(egan?) or Rowan for a boy. 

I'm partial to Finnegan. That's the name of my youngest son. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

On 4/15/2019 at 5:04 PM, singsingsing said:

I think I maybe have heard of fundies named Jael

There is a Jael either in or who has left the Westboro Baptist Church.  She's the only one that came to mind, although I'll admit I'm no fundicyclopedia.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I know a Marie Murray (married name). Pretty funny when these things happen!

My current last name (for a few more months-- I'm getting married in December) is one of those surnames that has become an increasingly popular first name for babies, first with celebrities and now with normal people too.  I'm a little sad it's become so popular because a few years ago it would've been a pretty unique name. I don't even know if we'll have children, but still. When I get married I'm making my maiden name my middle name, at least, and it flows so nicely with my new last name!

• Upvote 4

When I was pregnant I didn't have too many standards for picking a name. I didn't want to name him after anyone I knew IRL and while I didn't want it to be super common, I also didn't want it to be so unique that most people would struggle to pronounce it.  A name people were familiar with but there wouldn't be three of them in one classroom. I got really lucky that when I heard *the* name it just clicked for me and I was like "yes, yes this is it" and it fit the criteria. At that point we didn't even know if he'd be a boy or a girl but luckily the name was slowly gaining popularity as a unisex name. 

Also I was lowkey mad because the name I'd had picked out since I was a teenager? My mom stole it for her Cocker Spaniel. I guess it worked out in the end, my son doesn't seem much like a Spencer. ?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 5

I had a name all picked out for my daughter, but she didn't "look" like that name when she was born. My sons have biblical names, just because I loved the names, the bible had NOTHING to do with it. 

I hate my name. My first name is the English version of a family name on the mother's side and my middle name is the English version of my German grandmother's middle name. 

• Upvote 5

Evelyn is my grandmother's name and I will never see it as anything but a grandmother name. I do a double-take every time I see it on a little girl.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Our common denominator for our kids' names was 'not in the top 20 right not but you've heard of it and it's been around more than a few years'.  If you are old enough to have read "Beyond Jennifer and Jason" I think we fall into something like the Classic and Uncommon bracket or something like that.  That said, one of the 3 is way closer to top 20 than the other 2 (can't be bothered looking the actual rank up right now but one of my kids regularly has another kid with his name either in his class or at least, at his school.  My daughter's name is probably around #100 for her year.  My other son's name was like #300 or less for his age  but was much more common for people my age and also for particular ethnic groups). 

I think I would've had to use my middle name! Leigh Lee! Tho my Mother used to call me from across shops and stuff with "Leigh Leigh Leigh Leigh" I told her I sounded like a panda so from then on she called me Fred ? My eldest DD has a classic Irish girls name, and there were one or two in her classes over the years, 2nd DD has a flower name, the only one in all her classes and year group, now very common in cats and small dogs which I love to tease her about! 1st DS has a very common boys name, many in his year groups and classes, his "father" chose his name. Last but not least 2nd DS has an uncommon Irish name, my Mother chose his name because I love it! Living in England no one has any idea how to say it even tho its said how its spelt. It ends in TH and that always get pronounced F, like death is deaf *eye roll* kids at school now just call him Jeff ?

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

I told her I sounded like a panda so from then on she called me Fred. ?  

My dad used to have trouble hitting the right name to call us, sometimes running through all 4 names more than once before he just said, "Hey you!"  But if he called my sister and me Pete and George, he always got it right the first time. Go figure. :pb_lol:

• Haha 10

5 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

My dad used to have trouble hitting the right name to call us, sometimes running through all 4 names more than once before he just said, "Hey you!"  But if he called my sister and me Pete and George, he always got it right the first time. Go figure. :pb_lol:

I used to run through the kids' names when they were growing up. Even now I'll call my sons the wrong names. Why? I have NO idea. One is tall, the other one is short (6'1" and 5'7") they both look like me but look nothing alike. 

Maybe I'm just getting old. 

• Haha 8

• Georgiana locked this topic