IGNORED

Kendra & Joe Part 12: Another day, Another Duggar on the Way

Georgiana

4 hours ago, KeshetParparNesicha said:

The 'el' in Selah doesn't have anything to do with the 'of God' suffix. It's not even the same letters.

Right. Nor Hazel, Evelyn, Rachel, or Eli (unless short for Elijah or something).

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Back in the 80s I thought Heath and Heather would be cool names for boy/girl twins. 

My younger sister's name is Michele... She had a Kid Sister doll, and I had a My Buddy... She insisted they were twins named Michael and Michele... Later on, I got another one, and the twins became triplets with Mitchell added to the mix, lol

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

“Old fashioned “ names have grown on me as I get older. Right now I find the name Genevieve incredibly beautiful. I also love the name Eugene. And for some reason, out of left field, I adore Cameron for a girl. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

My toddler daughters both have old fashioned names, neither of which are on the Social Security top 100 list for 2017 (the most recent year they have available), and they were born in 2015 and 2017. We get compliments nearly every time someone new learns their names, but we also get a lot of, "Wow, you guys must really like old lady names". We chose them because they are long and elegant and both have several variations of nicknames to choose from. We call them any and all forms from their full names to several nicknames from their full names each and lots of plays on words. It's a miracle my 3.5 year old can say her full name and her most common nickname since she goes by so many. ? Unintentionally, both girls' names have nine letters each, as well as three syllables. This baby shop is closed for business, but if the big V ever fails, my slight control freak nature would need to find another nine letter, three syllable name to "match" theirs! ?

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

I have a grandmother named Gladys and it would be sorta fun if that came back into style just so somebody could name a kid after her. 

It's funny how these things go around. I always really liked the name Linda (maybe because I grew up listening to Linda Ronstadt?) and only later found out that it's strictly considered a fusty middle-aged name now. But it still sounds pretty to me!

I have a Grandma Gladys as well. She just turned 95 in December. 

• Upvote 4

@KeshetParparNesicha @meee You’re both assuming the Dills would bother to understand this though. I’m almost positive they wouldn’t and would simply assume the -El in those names meant the same thing. These are not intellectually curious people. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

@KeshetParparNesicha @meee You’re both assuming the Dills would bother to understand this though. I’m almost positive they wouldn’t and would simply assume the -El in those names meant the same thing. These are not intellectually curious people. 

I think Kal-el has a nice ring to it.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 28
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kailash said:

“Old fashioned “ names have grown on me as I get older. Right now I find the name Genevieve incredibly beautiful. I also love the name Eugene. And for some reason, out of left field, I adore Cameron for a girl. 

There are minis in my extended family named Genevieve and Cameron (girl), I completely agree with you.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Bobology said:

Although the 'el' was a coincidence, Derick grabbed onto it because of something about 'el' = 'of god'. Their girl choice name, Selah, contains 'el' and I bet they'll use it if they have a girl and then the 'el' would be set to be a thing for them. Elizabeth, Hazel, Evelyn, Rachel, Nathaniel, Daniel, Eli, Mattel, Trumpel... (yes I made those up because I get carried away.  I don't expect the Dillards to have a quiver, though.)

El Salvador? :D 

• Haha 23

3 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

It makes it a little confusing because they're both G names, but Gideon is Joy and Austin's son-- Joe and Kendra named their baby Garrett. That being said, I agree that they'll go with popular names that aren't too out of the box!

If Joken's next one is a boy, which I suspect it is, I could see them naming him Paul Robert or Robert Paul (Paul is Kendra's dad's name and Robert is JB's middle name).

• Upvote 7

It's interesting how the names we like change at different ages. When I was in high school, I liked the names Catherine and Margaret, two names that showed up in my ancestors. Had I been married after college and had children within the next five years, my (imaginary) daughters would have joined the pack of Caitlyn Elizabeth, Emily, or Sarah. Had I had children in my 30's, I ran into the name Alina in a baby names book and really liked it. For boys, I would probably have used some combination of my father's name and my grandfathers' names. (I would have kept my Grandpa's name the same way it was given to him, quite often considered a nickname, because he wasn't given the full name, which could lead to lots of male-female teasing (it's one of the names that goes from Masculine to Feminine by changing an I to an e).

I had also taught, and ruled out one name because some of my real corkers had that name. Ironically, I know a 60+ year old man and a four year old with that name, and both are wonderful. (It's one of those names that has been popular for a long time.)

Edited by Audrey2
Added last thought
  • Upvote 7

Did any of you see how Kendra told Joe she's pregnant? She put it on the bottom of his bowl so when he continued his plate licking habit he'd see the note ? :brainbleach:

• Disgust 8
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • WTF 3
  • Haha 17

I think what one might consider an ''old'' name is probably cultural.

Where I am from ''Geneviève'' is quite common. One of my best friend, my own age (late 20s) is named Genevieve and it is not uncommon nor rare. I have met a bunch in my life. And names like Evelyn (Évelyne), Edith, Eleanor, while not necessarily popular, have been around a bit. I have come across at least one or two people with one of those names while growing up. And while their were never a ton of Ediths for example, the ones I have known where not considered oddities.

Then again, considering this topic... my name is not very common. There was only one other girl with the same name in my whole high school (think approx. 1000 students) and she was in a grade younger.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

So...Kendra is pregnant again. I was actually more shocked when I found out Snooki from Jersey Shore was expecting her 3rd.  I'm truly amazed.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

It would be a weird choice for them! However, I wouldn't underestimate fundies' ability to make really bonkers religious naming choices. (Preaching that women should never criticize or contradict their husbands? Name your daughter MICHAL! Preaching that practicing Catholicism is totally comparable to demon possession? Name your kid after SAINT FELICITY!)

LOL! Your right. Let's not forget Josh and Anna for choosing that most Christian and Pius of them all Marc Anthony. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

If Joken's next one is a boy, which I suspect it is, I could see them naming him Paul Robert or Robert Paul (Paul is Kendra's dad's name and Robert is JB's middle name).

I think they'll go by Paul first as a middle name, and save Robert for a future son we know they will have. Why use all the meaningful names in 1 kid when you know you'll have 10 more? 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Judith isn't in the Protestant Bible. I kind of think the same about Jael, though (though I think I maybe have heard of fundies named Jael).

Wait, what? She is definitely in my bible and I am Protestant and so were the bibles I had access too. As far as I am aware there is no BIG difference in the common bibles (P&RC) here, apart from using different words because they are basically just different translations. (which still gives enough to argue about)

But in my country the RC Church and the Protestant church are also big on trying to come closer together. They put a lot of work in ecumenism, so that today it is possible to have joined church services (for example weddings). I think because of this ongoing work we as a society don’t care if someone is Protestant or RC.   In the 60s it could still be a dividing point, especially in rural areas but just in a few years it changed completely.

These Fundies astonish me more and more. If they don’t even use the whole Bible they are more different than being just a different sect. This puts them more in the same corner as Mormonism. What also boggles my mind is how they have no problem interpreting/following Paulus even if it makes then go directly against what Jesus said and did. Maybe they should pray to Paulus instead.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Have we ever heard anything about the mysterious Cousin Mackynzie whom Smuggar and Anna love so much they named their fistborn after her?

Maybe Joystin will go with a Book of Judges theme due to their shared love of being Judgey. Gideon could have siblings named Deborah, Samson, and Elon. Not Bar

ak though!!!

They could go the whole Joshua Judges Ruth

never mind the indulgence into my rather eclectic tastes in music, just like to share my weird sometimes. ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

They could go the whole Joshua Judges Ruth

never mind the indulgence into my rather eclectic tastes in music, just like to share my weird sometimes. ?

I love Lyle Lovett

• I Agree 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

LOL! Your right. Let's not forget Josh and Anna for choosing that most Christian and Pius of them all Marc Anthony. 

I’m just sitting here hoping that if the Dills have to spawn again that they continue their inaccurate -El names with a son named Elton John Dillard. :laughing-rolling:

(I really hope they don’t have more and they just name a teddy bear that or something, but I can’t deny this would absolutely cause me to die laughing and that’s honestly not a bad way to go.)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13

@VelociRapture i agree that would really be amazing! I have tear from laughing thinking about it! 

After what happen at Notre Dame I really need this! 

So thank you 

Edited by Italiangirl
Adding a thank you
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Wait, what? She is definitely in my bible and I am Protestant and so were the bibles I had access too. As far as I am aware there is no BIG difference in the common bibles (P&RC) here, apart from using different words because they are basically just different translations. (which still gives enough to argue about).

What country do you live in? Most protestant bibles in the US, UK and Australia, at least, don’t have the Book of Judith. The New Testament in both is the same, but there are several Old Testament books that are not considered canon by Protestants. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterocanonical_books

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

There are books in both the old and new testament that aren't considered canonical (if that's the right word in English) by several branches of the christian churches. The book of Judith is one of them. 

And I love the name Judith! It was my paternal grandmothers name, and if I would have had a daughter, you bet that I would have included Judith as one of her names. 

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Smee said:

What country do you live in? Most protestant bibles in the US, UK and Australia, at least, don’t have the Book of Judith. The New Testament in both is the same, but there are several Old Testament books that are not considered canon by Protestants. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterocanonical_books

I believe Judith was published in the original King James Bible and the Apocrypha weren't removed until thirty years later. So maybe if someone is a really hard line traditionalist Protestant, they would still include it? (But yeah, I can't think of any mainstream Protestant Bible from any country that would currently include the Apocrypha.)

That said, I am pretty positive that most of the Duggars and their ilk don't know about the Apocrypha. I am constantly shocked at what they don't now about the religion they claim to have built their lives around. I doubt they even know the Catholic and Protestant Bibles accept different books (or else they think Catholics have some completely separate Satan-inspired Bible written in baby blood.)

Judith's story is so cool. It's too bad I don't really like the way the name sounds. 

Edited by nausicaa
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

I am sure Jeremy does. Presumably Derrick and Ben as well. They are somewhat better educated than the main Duggar family. But they disregard those books as stories not significant to real Christians like them and not God Based.

Edited by tabitha2

• Georgiana locked this topic